What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ask Cryptic: April 2013

Comments

• Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What's the latest on the Emergency powers change? Can the systems cooldown be removed between EPs of different types to facilitate cruisers getting more use out of them?

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    Well I'm assuming that most Romulan players will ally with the Federation, so you do the same and you shouldn't have trouble teaming. You can also create another Romulan and ally it with the KDF. Problem solved, you can now team with everyone.

Problem solved? No it isn't. I shouldn't have to create 2 toons to be able to group with all members of my own "faction". Neither the Federation or the KDF have to do this.

So my point still stands, the Romulans are not a third faction, but a sub-faction of the other 2.
  • Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well I'm assuming that most Romulan players will ally with the Federation, so you do the same and you shouldn't have trouble teaming. You can also create another Romulan and ally it with the KDF. Problem solved, you can now team with everyone.

I have a fed and a KDF toon, hey look! I can team with everyone, there must only be one faction afterall. Silly me.
  • Options
    lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Denise voices Empress Sela.
    Denise voices the introduction to the Tau Dewa Sector Block.
    Denise voices the message that congratulates Romulan players upon rank-up (e.g. "Congratulations, Subcommander").

Just because she voices all three does not mean she is acting as the same "character" for each. That would be like saying Nurse Chapel is actually voicing the computer in TNG because Majel Barrett happens to voice both :P

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    Of course, in-universe it is entirely possible the TNG computer's voice was based on Nurse Chapel's (though personally I'd look more towards Number One).
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Heck, even just make the lighting on the maco set green. How hard would THAT be? SOMETHING to make it feel Romulan would be nice.

In the lack of a more apropriate resolution I support this idea. Make the M.A.C.O. set with green tint to feel Romulan and make Romulans use that visual regardless of them allying with Fed. or KDF. Wearing capes with insignia of the Klingon Empire seems very weird to me for Romulans of any kind, even the Republic. The M.A.C.O. looks more spacelike/universal, with green tint it could fill the role until the devs. find some time to squeeze in a unique Romulan ground set.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Still, the voice of my enemy congrats me for killing her ships. I don't think that is comparable to L Troi awkwardly talking to herself as a computer, when her voice was established as the computer.

It's lazy. And it breaks immersion. It's like Spock congrats the KDF for killing Fed ships. LAZY.

Maybe I'll get to fly a Borg cube as a Fed captain while hearing my enemy's voice promote me.

Think of it as if it's Tasha Yar congratulating you.
  • Options
    tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Denise voices the message that congratulates Romulan players upon rank-up (e.g. "Congratulations, Subcommander").

Just because she voices all three does not mean she is acting as the same "character" for each. That would be like saying Nurse Chapel is actually voicing the computer in TNG because Majel Barrett happens to voice both :P

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I always figured Pike's Number One was chosen to be the voice of the Federation computers after she took a drastic reduction in her career to become a Nurse. This was all before she went off and married into the Fifth House of Betazed and became the Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Rixx and Heir to the Holy Rings of Betazed.
  • Options
    mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Still, the voice of my enemy congrats me for killing her ships. I don't think that is comparable to L Troi awkwardly talking to herself as a computer, when her voice was established as the computer.

It's lazy. And it breaks immersion. It's like Spock congrats the KDF for killing Fed ships. LAZY.

Maybe I'll get to fly a Borg cube as a Fed captain while hearing my enemy's voice promote me.
    sudoku7 wrote: »
    Think of it as if it's Tasha Yar congratulating you.

Or you could do what I do and think of it this way.
    • For the Fed Level up - After the opening "movie" when creating a Fed character, there is only 1 more mention of "Spock" (in the last Guardian mission). So who the heck is telling me the about my promotions - It's the voice of Leonard Nimoy!!

I will treat the same for the Romulans. To me, its not immersion breaking when viewed that way (again, that is my immersion. Your level of immersion my be different and I respect that).

A solution might be an option to turn off the level up voices for Mr. Nimoy, Ms. Crosby, and the gentleman voicing the KDF. That way, those that don't want to hear Mr. Nimoy or Ms. Crosby because of how immersion factors wont be distracted and feel like "the voice of a dead Vulcan or a enemy is giving me congrats."

Another way you could think about it is - "Its all in your head" ....
    • Before leaving for the supernova, Spock realizes that this may be another "Kobayashi Maru" and imparts his Katra to someone else on Vulcan. Later on, cadets who excel are allowed to "touch" one of the greatest minds in the Federation. That experience has left a very small part of Spock in you as he sees you as a young Kirk that needs a little balancing. So when you hear the voice, its a small part of Spock saying congrats.

Not my best work of fiction (which is why I don't write Foundry missions) but I just did that in 5 mins. With a bit more spit and polish, it could be as true to "me" as any onscreen explanation. Anyways, just my $0.02 on the issue.
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • Options
    dieutoutpuissantdieutoutpuissant Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    No new missions to level up the new Tholian reputation? How disappointing. A new faction is good news, but no new queues to keep us busy for the next 6 months is dreadful.
  • Options
    tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Realistically, though, if players hear the same voice doing all 3, they're going to assume it's all supposed to be the same character. Especially in the Romulan context, unless you tell people in game explicitly "Btw this is Denise Richards not Sela".

If Jeffrey Combs is voicing Dominion content, people will assume it's Weyoun. If he voices Ferengi stuff, it'll sound like Brunt. If he does Andorian voiceovers, we'll all hear Shran.
  • Options
    tailraisertailraiser Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    How hard is it to have a re-species token? other MMOs do.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tailraiser wrote: »
    How hard is it to have a re-species token? other MMOs do.

Just out of curiosity, which ones ? I played a lot of different MMO's, but I can't remember a single one that had re-species options. :confused:
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Realistically, though, if players hear the same voice doing all 3, they're going to assume it's all supposed to be the same character. Especially in the Romulan context, unless you tell people in game explicitly "Btw this is Denise Richards not Sela".

*gulp* Denise Richards? :eek: Where did that come from? :D Did I miss something again! :mad:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    veryth12veryth12 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    it Doesn't Make Sense For An Ensign To Be Given Command Of A Ship In The First Place. But This Is A Game. As Far As The Chronological Order Of Events In The Game, The Order They Are Released In The Real World Doesn't Necessarily Mean It Happens In That Order In The Game. Legacy Of Romulus Being A Good Example, As It Begins Two Weeks Before The Borg Invasion Of Vega Colony.

The Recent Starbase Ugc Interview With Captain Gecko Further Touches On This, As He Says That Not Everything In The Game Necessarily Takes Place In 2409, It Just Starts There. In Fact, A Stardate Given In The "hearts And Minds" Mission Places It In 2412. The Dedication Plaque For The Enterprise-f Places Its Launch Date In 2410, Etc.

In the begining of the game on the Fed side, it says in the tutorial that the entire senior staff gets killed except for you. So, it would be like a lot of the officers in Voyager dying until Harry Kim was the only senior officer left, so he took charge. The only difference is that you do such an awesome job, and starfleet is so short on captains that they leave you in charge of the ship rather than restaff the positions with higher ranking officers.

Personally, I think it would have been cooler for you to get to lt before you got command. A few away teams, some random ship board missions without you having control where the ship goes, and then when you get your promotion the attack on the Vega colony and the high ranked officers dying.
  • Options
    weiir1weiir1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    edit: nevermind
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    qjunior wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, which ones ? I played a lot of different MMO's, but I can't remember a single one that had re-species options. :confused:

Change race? A few do actually.

WoW for sure. Everquest, Everquest 2. Vanguard. Tera I think. SWTOR is getting a limited one soon.

It's a common request, and I'm sure you'd see more if there were more MMOs where race mattered. If you can reset all your traits but are stuck with the ones from your race, it's not really a full reset imo.
  • Options
    ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This was full of disappointment in my humble opinion.

Finding out that exploration missions revamp is pretty much not even on the radar, "Foundry missions ARE the new exploration missions. Done! Herp-a-derp." Lazy fail team Cryptic.

Looking at a system for AFKers. Not needed, waste of time.

Not one question or answer about new STF(s).

Open door for Borg faction. Borg faction WILL drive me out of the game, please don't do this.

But here come Sulibans! Woot? Don't much care.

All the other questions were answered basically with "not right now, maybe later"

This kind of sucked guys. LoR had me all pumped, this took the wind out of my sails. Bad decisions and disappointment on the horizon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    daboholic wrote: »
    Problem solved? No it isn't. I shouldn't have to create 2 toons to be able to group with all members of my own "faction". Neither the Federation or the KDF have to do this.

So my point still stands, the Romulans are not a third faction, but a sub-faction of the other 2.

Calm yourself, I was kidding.

veryth12 wrote: »
    In the begining of the game on the Fed side, it says in the tutorial that the entire senior staff gets killed except for you. So, it would be like a lot of the officers in Voyager dying until Harry Kim was the only senior officer left, so he took charge. The only difference is that you do such an awesome job, and starfleet is so short on captains that they leave you in charge of the ship rather than restaff the positions with higher ranking officers.

Personally, I think it would have been cooler for you to get to lt before you got command. A few away teams, some random ship board missions without you having control where the ship goes, and then when you get your promotion the attack on the Vega colony and the high ranked officers dying.

More than just the senior officers would've had to have been killed. Anyone between the ranks of Lt. J.G. and Captain. Not only that, but every Ensign on board who has had a commission longer than you would've had to have died as well. Even if this did happen, your taking command would've only been temporary. You would've been replaced immediately after returning to port. The "short on captains" excuse doesn't work either, because they would still put someone with a higher rank and more experience in command.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There will never be a re-species token when selling character slots is so blatantly profitable.

I also disagree completely with giving people a re-species token to begin with, but that's an entirely separate issue.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    aesirkyraesirkyr Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Will the Legacy Packs be available for purchase through Steam? If not can it be taken under consideration?

I and several others would be extremely interested in purchasing the packs through steam.
  • Options
    slayerninja13slayerninja13 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This was so not helpful to me.
    1. The whole not helping small fleet thing is not something i wanted to hear because one i have a fleet with just a small group of my friends I've known since start and two we just started on a fleet Starbase really so even if we could get a few people to join why would they stay when there are fleets that have higher Starbases/Embassies or just put enough credits or what ever they have into my base so they can leave to a bigger fleet and get the weapons they want(trust me this has happen to my group before)

2. Why a Borg Faction, what would you do go from planet to planet assimilating people, even if they where hugh like borg. i just cant agree to a borg faction

I think the only thing i like in this was the pet storage idea...that pretty sad:(
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Should've asked Cryptic when they are going to fix the CTD issues this game has gotten since Season 7.

Really tired of CTDing 3 or 4 times everynight. And before Season 7, it rarely ever happened. :mad:

Guess they don't care. Especially when no threads ever got acknowledged by the team.
  • Options
    adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm a bit disappointed that two Romulans, despite being the same faction and working for the same Republic, won't be able to team together on story missions that don't have anything to do with their chosen faction.

I get that there's some tech in the way, but from a gameplay or story perspective, this is a very silly limitation.

Similarly, I understand not balancing fleet mechanics for 1-person "all-alt" fleets, but here is one simple question that I believe can be answered with a minimal amount of fuss and behind-the-scenes data retrieval:
    - What percentage of all characters that are in fleets are in fleets with 25+ members?

25-person seems a high bar to me. I just want to know that it's justified by current fleet membership statistics.
  • Options
    fourxgamerfourxgamer Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Q: (psiamesse) How high on the whiteboard is the Exploration revamp for STO?

STO Team: With the success of the Foundry, in many ways player authored missions has become the Exploration content within Star Trek Online. Now that Foundry missions offer valuable rewards, they are much higher quality episodes than the Genesis maps that were shipped at launch. Sometime in the next two years, we would like to leverage the popularity of the Foundry as a legitimate way to explore the galaxy.

That is so completely disappointing. What should be a fundamental part of the game has been ignored for too long.

IMO, players enjoy having both a unique experience and sharing events. If it is a memory issue, I would pay you for map slots, buying them like ships. I want to explore and colonize in the Star Trek universe.

I would like to have player produced raw materials and finished products instead of just buying from the cargo ships.

My big space weapons store is tier III now. I was hoping for a launching pad into the unknown. I guess if there's a problem making starbases a real location and we can't customize them beyond turning on and off premade dil projects, then exploration and colonization would also be out of the question?

The randomly generated systems we have now would be fine if we could revisit certain ones we've saved and customize and populate the maps. Is there any way to infuse some of the magic of the old 4x space games into this much more vivid Star Trek setting?
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cehus wrote: »
    So, just to confirm, No unique skin for Omega stf costumes, groundside?

Mm. Sounds like it. That's incredibly disappointing.
    While Denise voices Empress Sela, it's not Sela congratulating you. The voice just happens to be narrated by Denise Crosby.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

That's a shame. It should be Sela, and she should be taunting you.

"Subcommander? Ha! Don't think yourself impressive because you've risen above the lowest of chattel."
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    All I have to say is this :

This Q&A sounded alarmingly like some of the Champions Online Q&A's .
    The number of times they use terms like 'we're thinking about it' and 'it's a possibility in the future' (when they actually mean "nope , not doing it") -- well , I'm hoping it was just a creepy coincidence .
  • Options
    crownvic2doorcrownvic2door Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Dear cryptic Why must you Nerf the ever-loving ____ out of everything?:mad: took me 4 hours in a foundry mission in elite because none of my skills were worth a Damm:confused: