test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Legacy of Romulus] UI/ HUD Feedback, Suggestions, ETC.

Comments

• rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    First, I absolutely love the new UIs. The only improvement I can think of is that it would be cool if the UIs would be character specific so that when I logged my Gorn, Gorn UI. Romulan, Romulan UI, etc, etc. Right now they don't seem to 'stick'. Did I mention how enamored I was with how the new UIs look though?

Second, will you add more UIs in the future (like Vulcan, Breen, Ferengi) or add a custom UI feature so that we can create our own? Would love to have a Vulcan one.
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am sure it is said but wanted to state it as well. They need to make it so that we can choose a different scheme on a per character basis.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I didn't realize the setting didn't stick when you changed characters.

Yeah, that really should be a per-character setting, I like the idea of tailoring it to my character's individual ships.
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    robdmc wrote: »
    I am sure it is said but wanted to state it as well. They need to make it so that we can choose a different scheme on a per character basis.

This is my only particular concern.

Custom colours would be nice, but per-character choice is ahead of that for me.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • btay2121btay2121 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I personalty dislike the character creator, there is way too much stuff on the screen when all i want to do is change my characters hairstyle.
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    again, atleast give us the option of retaining the current UI, having an interim UI that is a hybrid of the current UI and the new UI, and the new UI.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Who do we have to bribe to get this higher on the Programmer's Plate? :)

The ability to save schemes on a per character basis is simply a must have feature.

As well as per environment. Eg: Space, Ground

I get tired of moving the mini map and other windows....
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • antovarasantovaras Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    crypticttc wrote: »
    I'm hoping to do another pass on the brightness of the default color schemes on Tribble, but in the meantime, try out one of the classic color schemes.

You can find them in Options > Basic > Color Schemes. There's Federation Classic, Klingon Classic and Romulan Classic.

Try answering the question...
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
  • amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you use the following command

/genjailunlock 1

You can move the UI/Hud elements while looking at them (not the green boxes). I use this to make precision movements for the HUD elements.

OMG! Are you serious? This is a command that I can use? How have I not known about this?
    7NGGeUP.png

• frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    OMG! Are you serious? This is a command that I can use? How have I not known about this?

There seem to be a lot of undocumented commands that players have discovered for themselves. I've discovered some by looking through the command list, and I've seen others post commands that I've never known about. I still would like them to fix the green boxes so that their borders align with those of their HUD elements.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
    edited April 2013
    Incidentally, why is it called a "jail"? That's not a UI term that I've come across before.
    qVpg1km.png
  • asheriasheri Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I haven't had a chance to test a lot of the new content, but I must say that I like the looks of the new UI (on the fed side of things). I'm also kind of fond of the bridge viewscreen image used when hailing a contact. Looking forward to running some missions and hopefully getting to see things from a Klingon/Romulan perspective. If what I've seen so far is any indication this new expansion will be fantastic! Keep up the great work Cryptic!
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm hoping to do another pass on the brightness of the default color schemes on Tribble, but in the meantime, try out one of the classic color schemes.

You can find them in Options > Basic > Color Schemes. There's Federation Classic, Klingon Classic and Romulan Classic.
    I've heard it said that you guys aren't married to the Fed Classic Blue. A shade or two lighter would be nice. Not bright like the other color schemes, but the current one is too somber for my tastes.
    BTW, If you don't mind. How come you don't do a more sophisticated Red Alert at the top that sort of parallels the the TOS Movies? By having it elements strobe towards the center?

And the Sector Red Alert could be changed from a Red Alert to a Priority One Message indicator. (Because in Star Trek you would get the message before rushing off to help, right?)
    Love these ideas.

Priority One Communique from Starfleet Command.
    aspartan1 wrote: »
    As well as per environment. Eg: Space, Ground

I get tired of moving the mini map and other windows....

You know that's a brilliant suggestion. I don't really need my HUD on my ship, other than time and things like Duty Officers. But all of the powers are pretty much worthless.

On that note, I'd like an armory on my ship, where I can go to test out my new weapons and dps on holographic ground enemies; and in that section of the ship, the powers tray would pop back up.

Hmm...that sounds kinda complex actually.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What about a 'Faction - Classic' option that loads the 'Classic' scheme related too your faction. So for a Fed toon you'd get the Federation - Classic skin, a KDF toon the KDF - Classic skin and a Romulan toon the Romulan - Classic skin?
    edited April 2013
    frtoaster wrote: »
    There seem to be a lot of undocumented commands that players have discovered for themselves. I've discovered some by looking through the command list, and I've seen others post commands that I've never known about. I still would like them to fix the green boxes so that their borders align with those of their HUD elements.
    It would sure be nice if someone sorted them all out and post a comprehensive list of verified commands. :)
    captaind3 wrote: »
    [..]
    You know that's a brilliant suggestion. I don't really need my HUD on my ship, other than time and things like Duty Officers. But all of the powers are pretty much worthless.

On that note, I'd like an armory on my ship, where I can go to test out my new weapons and dps on holographic ground enemies; and in that section of the ship, the powers tray would pop back up.

Hmm...that sounds kinda complex actually.

There is one by extension - sort of - the Foundry. I already made an Armory mission so to speak. The name is Capital Ship Combat Simulation.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
  • jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Annnndd, you're welcome.

Let us know how it worked for you. :D
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Opened hailing frequencies on my Recluse...

Wondering who came in and snuck the Lcars screens and grey paintjob onto my tan-ish Recluse's walls?

(yes, this is a nitpick, I have a ship with a unique bridge, and the border for hails is still the standard-ish TNG viewscreen...)
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
    edited April 2013
    aspartan1 wrote: »
    There is one by extension - sort of - the Foundry. I already made an Armory mission so to speak. The name is Capital Ship Combat Simulation.

I think you messed up your quotes a bit. The first quote is from me, but the second one is from captaind3.
    qVpg1km.png
  • darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The classic themes are optional overrides, so they behave just like TNG/Gorn/Reman.

I really like all the themes you made, looks way better then the old ones. keep it up.

Though Im not sure if green text for target reticles is so pretty.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    About the chat - is there no possibility to see the avatar of the characters (aka players) you talk to next to the chatline?

I think that would improve the experience a lot -- and also help remembering who you are talking to.
    edited April 2013
    frtoaster wrote: »
    I think you messed up your quotes a bit. The first quote is from me, but the second one is from captaind3.
    This forum system sucks in this capacity. I always get a generic text and have copy and paste. Anyway, fixed it.
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There's a lot of posts so I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a way to set up the color schemes so they are character specific? So my Romulan can use the Romulan Scheme while my fed uses the TNG scheme, without requiring me to switch back and forth manually when I switch characters? I like the old implementation whereby each faction has a different color, but from what I understand, the new system sets a single color scheme globally, for all your characters.
  • totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Will there be a selectable option to keep the exact same UI/HUD as I am using now?

If not, why not?
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    he did say that is not possible, because the new UI changes too much of the UI system for the old UI to work.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There's a lot of posts so I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a way to set up the color schemes so they are character specific? So my Romulan can use the Romulan Scheme while my fed uses the TNG scheme, without requiring me to switch back and forth manually when I switch characters? I like the old implementation whereby each faction has a different color, but from what I understand, the new system sets a single color scheme globally, for all your characters.

It's on their minds and they have heard the pleas, but at the moment we have to wait for the programmers to get around to it. I imagine that they are up to their eyeballs in work, grinding it out to the last second to get this expansion pack out in a month and a week or so.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • valiant797valiant797 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    One thing I noticed last night. When I tried to split some items off, grabbing the space where the slider goes previously moved the marker to my mouse. This time, it just grabbed the window and moved it around. The only way to move the slider was to click and hope it was the amount I wanted, then click again, and again.

I want my slider to slide!
    <signature under reconstruction>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want cheap commodities? Yeah you do. Commodity Cheat Sheet (includes food and data samples)

Want to make the game better? Might I suggest this form
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yes, sliders appear to be broken. If you don't click the exact right pixel, you move the window instead.
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Don't know if this is the right thread for this issue, anyway.

On Holodeck the windows key brings the game to the windows bar and set my screen to the desktop. On Tribble the windows key brings up just the windows bar.

Perhaps this is better (and intended) because when in combat and hitting the windows key bringing you to the desktop is not something you want.

I use the windows key for opening frefox to check STOwiki for the Path to 2404 mission.
  • tylermaxwelltylermaxwell Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    captaind3 wrote: »
    It's on their minds and they have heard the pleas, but at the moment we have to wait for the programmers to get around to it. I imagine that they are up to their eyeballs in work, grinding it out to the last second to get this expansion pack out in a month and a week or so.

Currently, if you leave the UI color scheme on 'Default', then your characters for the different factions will retain faction-specific UI colors (Blue for FED, Red for KDF, Green for ROM). It's not character specific as far as I can tell (can't specify Reman or TNG UIs), but it's halfway towards what you're looking for I believe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • titanicboy2titanicboy2 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I like the new UI mostly because all of the elements change color when in combat rather than just a little message at the top of the screen saying "alert condition red". yeah it does look a little cartooney but i'm willing to overlook that.