test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Closed Beta Feedback

xelene13xelene13 Member Posts: 222 Arc User
Played my Romulan from level 1 through 10 tonight.

I'm really happy with the look of the tutorial ... NeverWinter assets?

I'd like better lighting in the character creator. I rolled a Romulan female and couldn't get a good look at skin tone or makeup because of the lighting/angle.

The initial tutorial entry cut scene ... subtitles go by too fast, slow it down or have the text waiting in the NPC dialogue chat window upon completion of the cut scene please.

re: Instruction pop-ups, good edition, but add a 'Done' or 'Complete' button instead of an automatic fade.

I like the new comm windows.

Love the new map with legend. Are all maps going to be like that, or was that just for the tutorial?

Uniform rewards for both Romulan Republic and allegiance choice (in my case KDF) did not come through. Went to the tailor after each award and no option. I'm assuming it's a "work in progress" problem.

Ground BOFF controls ... I tried both presets and I couldn't display BOFF ability controls.

No DOFFs, Lt Ferra popped up (which is not right for a KDF allegiance) without any dialogue or info except a button to close the window. I'm assuming 'work in progress.'

I really enjoyed the tutorial story. Everything went smoothly, didn't experience one glitch or oddity.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2013
    ... oh I forgot to mention, I LOVE that there is a story tied in to BOFF award.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Is it really a closed beta if you're offering feedback in an open public forum?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    polie05polie05 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Closed beta means you cant play but I can. Possibly since I played the last STO closed beta?
  • Options
    kemopskemops Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    First I created a Romulan female. With the Short 12 hairstyle, Pointed ears 2 and 3 get clipped, the others are fine.

Boot colors seem to be on a totally different palette and it is hard to make them look good with the rest of the uniform.

As others have said, the into text moves by way too fast. It is impossible to read it fully.

The discovery of the device in the cave and the resolution to the cave mission is very anti-climatic. There is no excitement where there could be. It just sort of ends. blah.

Temer in one of his dialogs says "I couldn't stomach the thought of working alongside of them." the word "of" is not needed. Should read "stomach the thought of working alongside them."

The tailor should say "you can come to me" not "you can go to me"

On New Romulus at the bridge w/Tholian, the text says "isn't detecting any more Tholian ships" I don't remember there being any Tholian ships detected before beaming down. I think the word "more" should be removed.

I had to stop before going to Khitomer. I have enjoyed what I have seen very much. I kind of think you have created the Romulans and their world 100 times better than the KDF and Feds.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Cryptic's wording, no NDA.
  • Options
    adamrezeau1982adamrezeau1982 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just spotted two typos in Drake's dialog when stating he'd heard the character had been at Virinat. Should read a person your situation may have some pent up...

The dialog button to advance also has one. The can be struck from the first sentence to read "As terrible as Virinat was, it's (that should have the apostrophe) simple..."

Later, Tal'Mera should say that Drake is "too" much spy for her taste.

Easy mistakes. Really enjoying it so far.
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    xelene13 wrote: »
    The initial tutorial entry cut scene ... subtitles go by too fast, slow it down or have the text waiting in the NPC dialogue chat window upon completion of the cut scene please.

Completely agreed. Way to fast to enjoy. It is the only thing I have done so far and felt like posting it.
  • Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    its good...yes the intro is very fast...but at the same time i had to lower my video settings down to minimal just to play...it is SO laggy even in space...yet on holodeck i can play at Recommended just fine with lag only at ESD.

Is tribble always laggy as heck and really slow draw times?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've played to level 7 so far. It's wonderful!
    Other than bugs here and there, I have no complaints about the expansion.
    I did see clipping issues with the outfits. Also as was mentioned before, the colors in the character creator don't match what they look like outside of it.
    I also love how the bridge officers are linked into the storyline. It makes me attached to them so much more.
    Oh, and the ship interiors are great!
    Oh, one thing I noticed: the main display in the ready room appears to be upside down. You can tell by looking at the Romulan Star Empire logo.

EDIT: I was able to jump down into the singularity core, and am now stuck. :-)
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • Options
    captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Great missions. Some of the pathing needs to be fixed on Ally's but awesome. Some clipping in Uniforms. I posted about that. Some ships need their Bridge Officer Slots changed. Seriously. A frackin Galaxy Retro Boff Layout for a D'Deridex. I want whatever Geko was smoking when he thought of that. Universal Ensign Please? Love how you unlock uniforms as you go. I hope there will be more in Z-Store and whatnot. takes forever to Unlock Doffs but not bad. Can we get Fabrication Kits for Engineers instead of this one? Very Rare Warp Cores in D-Store please? I feel like we're kind of being shafted if this is the final of the Warp Cores in DStore. Give Romulan's their own Captain Yacht. Hope to see the other ships coming as well. I think the Color Pattern thing needs to be switched around. Also, Awesome. I saved the look of my toon on Tribble so it can look like that on Holodeck when May 21'st happens. More Cruisers Please? A Ambassador/Kamarag veriant for Roms please? Veteran Uniforms and Ship Skins please?

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    1.Character boots selection was greyed out and some of the face selection options did not appear in preview.

2. Introduction was to fast so was hard to keep up and since no audio is added I missed a bit.

3. tutorial mission was a bit buggy where the pipes could not be fixed also in the cave it's anticlimatic and is over to soon.

4. Cut scene during the attack is good and will be even better when sound is added.

5. The flying machines that capture romulans doesnt seem to make sense as the Tal Shiar can just beam people up with the transporter.

6. Could not modify BOFF look not sure if is because he is part of the story or not.

7. BOFF could not have his uniform modified in tailor

Thats as far as I have at the moment will post more when I play more
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    roboticzebraroboticzebra Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Im loving the closed beta however I do have a few issues...

First off i would like to say I don't really like the face and hair side bars the the character creation its just extremely annoying and out of place. Also there doesn't seem to be a zoom and move on the avatar, being able to zoom on specific parts would make making the character a lot easier with smaller parts IE tattoos, as I could barely see where it was with the level of zoom and the placement of the camera i was restricted to.
    Apart from that I haven't seen very much that i can say is terrible GJ Cryptic keep it coming :)
  • Options
    glassguitarglassguitar Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Looking though the Warbirds available so far, I noticed one of them has a turn rate of five. This ship is a raider type and it seems all the others have raider like turnrates except this one.
  • Options
    kartimozkartimoz Member Posts: 57
    edited April 2013
    First of all: Thank you for the invitation to the beta-test!

The first positive impression was the new view of the char - with its team! ;) Awesome!

The creation of a Romulan char was done quickly and very easy and the improved preview is also very nice (Hair/Clothes etc)

When the story started, unfortunately it was a little difficult to read the lyrics as quickly as they appeared and disappeared.
    The English language ist not a strange thing to me, but would be a little longer display an advantage ("six seconds" rule for subtitles in movies / videos).

Once on Virivat, I was really surpised again!

Very detailed map and the new icons are self-explanatory. The new pop-up windows (for beginners) also are really well done.
    The fruits of the merchants are still looking like beta-fruits ;)
    The story that you are going through is amusing in some parts (answers of the NPC's in "Vineyard" for example) - but very fitting and appropriate.

A surprise was the automatic respawn to ??? when I came out of the caves ...

Arrived on the Romulan fleet base, I noticed immediately the doors: red and white - very easy to see even from a distance!
    In addition, they open and close very quickly and now I could run through without a break - Well done!

During Playing the first mission the game is crashed unfortunately - so I've now taken the time this tiny feedback.

The only catch is that I have discovered so far was the jumpy connection. Everything was a little laggy - on the ground and in space.

More feedback is coming soon - promised! ;)
  • Options
    littlebearbeeboplittlebearbeebop Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Im in the market in the farm village. I here the music, I hear the Birds. where are the Market sounds?
  • Options
    naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I'm assuming all LTS'ers automatically were included. At any rate, I didn't check for an invite, just created a character.

There certainly was an armada of warbirds in TD!
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • Options
    wallyandrovarwallyandrovar Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm enjoying Legacy of Romulus! Great to have a new story :)

I also think that the subtitles need to stay on screen longer. I missed a lot of dialogue in the opening video. Virinat looked great and the interaction with characters was fun.

The redesign of the UI looks good. Like being able to change the skin on it.

I have to say I was happy to see the first mission was to visit a Suliban Helix. Is there a chance we could actually beam down to it later? Perhaps after we fix the arm structures we could beam down, talk to the refugees and Kaiyan then beam back to fight Commander Moralok.
  • Options
    captainsulu4captainsulu4 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I only made it to lvl 5 last night had work lol. Really loved the start I think the only thing I had was the republic outfit not recieving. Will do lots more test tonight. Oh to all I think it was laggy cause so many people loged in to play or just to watch players fly the ships which in my opinion really laged the servers again my best guess to the reasons cheers.:D
  • Options
    rakhohl#4803 rakhohl Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Before I start, I just want to tell the Cryptic folks that I feel they have really done an incredible job!! The story is very well done, dialog is solid and I really like the way they tie your bridge officers into the story. I am really impressed with the quality of what they have put together.

The character selection screen is just freakin' cool! Makes it really easy to get a nice screen capture of your away team. Two things: I would recommend putting the Boffs that are kneeling in front of the ones standing. The lower ones get blocked by the ones standing in front of them. Also, the characters that I already had on Tribble (both Feds) have apparently cloned random officers. All of the Boffs are the same. They are in different poses, but the same toon. My new Romulan, however, shows the correct Boffs.

I agree with everyone here that the subtitles in the tutorial intro go by way too fast. I'm a pretty fast reader and I still had trouble keeping up.

On my screen, the padding around the text in dialog boxes is nil. The words on the left and right get cut off by the dialog box edge.

I agree with an earlier post that the Market should have a little more clamor. Not alot, but some. Maybe put a band in the corner somewhere. :D

I'm assuming (and hoping) that voice-overs are going to be added later. That would really add to certain parts (like Khitomer).

I did not experience any gameplay bugs or lagging issues, myself.

Female Remans, FTW! Good job on this. It is a nice touch.

I was unable to alter my Boffs in any way other than to rename them. I hope this feature is added later.

The color palettes are different for various parts of the character creator. They should be more universal. As others have pointed out, it makes it difficult to get things to match.

I got to level 10 last night and I am definitely looking forward to continuing. I haven't been able to play much lately due to RL, but this has a good story with the right amount of action and adventure. I wanted to see what happened next!
    lljAN7v.png
  • Options
    dremora420dremora420 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Experience so far with the Rom testing.

Enjoyable traits of the expansion:
    ☻The Hud is friendly to the eyes and allot more enjoyable/user friendly.

☻Dispite having to power read the subtitles of the videos. The story arc is quite interesting.

☻The clothing looks good, though some of them do have clipping bugs.

☻The Warbirds look great. The starting ship is a bit choppy(slow maneuvering) on its flight but the starting weapons are usable unlike when you first start a KDF toon.

Bugs/Glitches found so far:
    ☻Choppy clothing, the short boots chopped in the back of the foot/calf while running/crouching.

☻Subtitles were too fast paced, their timing needs to be shortened for a more enjoyable storyline. Most cannot read as fast as they were going. I myself was barely even keeping up.

☻Durring the tut, while evacuating the colony. I ran into items pourpously. A few of them seemed a bit sticky to get out of despite how simple it would be to get out of them. Also, unlike other parts of STO, the fire does not do any DoT damage.

☻The tailor was a bit glitchy also. You create a outfit and it wouldn't show up when you hit save. I did it twice and noticed when i hit save the second time it shown the outfit I wanted before, yet when I exited it shown the outfit I just got done making. SO it works, but the visuals were a bit off.

☻More to come later through the game play. Do remember everyone this is a Beta test, this is not to just play the faction early. We are helping PWE/Cryptic iron out things before it is released.
  • Options
    victorjaffavictorjaffa Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    finally

excellent work

fast paced - good underlying story

feel you are needed in the story

keep it up
  • Options
    goalieman82goalieman82 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just played through the opening missions. I felt Immersed in the story and I felt like it was very believable and right in line with everything else in the trek universe. Would of been great to hear the VO's but I guess I can wait. I enjoyed the first ship mission as well and I love the Visuals from the Core breech! I don't know if this is a known issue but Every time I log back into tribble I have to set up my officer stations again. I think it's a great start and I can't wait to play live!
  • Options
    draugadandraugadan Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cynder2012 wrote: »
    its good...yes the intro is very fast...but at the same time i had to lower my video settings down to minimal just to play...it is SO laggy even in space...yet on holodeck i can play at Recommended just fine with lag only at ESD.

Is tribble always laggy as heck and really slow draw times?

I've not gotten to space yet, but I have the same problem. I do not have any issues playing on Holodeck. For me on Tribble the screen just freezes every minute or two and then I'm fine again.

And one more for the intro text goes by way to fast.
  • Options
    astrodeafastrodeaf Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I did tried out your Beta Closed Invite of Romulans since last night 8pm EST.

I did create Male Romulan in Tactical. I find myself in point of the view (Romulan's point of the view) and i find it very interesting.

I felt at the beginning is little too fast. I mean I just scratch the surface to learn whole thing in New Romulan, then I carry out to shoot those odd bugs. But the cavern... WOW very interesting.. but it is so quickly. I feel like I want to explore little more deep into this cavern.

Awesome job for keeping this Romulans very fresh by provide MYSTERY, ADVENTURE, and being CURIOUS of this story. I love it. It got me exciting and curious where it take me.

When Temer told me go to trailor to get myself a fleet uniform, i found it but there is no uniform of fleet. I manage to modify my character by update as new belt (for weapon to carry), and make my appearance a little change as fresh person.

When i go into space, I love the cloak technology. But i do noticed that everytime i enter different section of space or i gone into battle.. my BOFFs are disappeared from their station. I have to re-set BOFFs back to their rightful position in stations to provide what i need in my space slots.

I managed to reach new level beyond Lieutenant. Because I have to repeat 1 same mission in order to get Engineering console mk II. I already have my tactical console mk II and science console mk II.

I got a new traits to fix up my toon. But it seems little odd. I mean normally, when person like me to create Romulans, there should have traits to create at beginning... not by finish end of Lieutenant.

I have few items. I tried to sell on exchange, it doesnt work. I tried to discard.. not work.

I cannot get myself a nice EC. I can buy to try out Romulans weapons or ships.

I like to say I love it and I cannot wait to play this Romulans when it come out.
  • Options
    dhiemmdhiemm Member Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So far all I have to say is Hey CRYPTIC awesome work it feels like a new game. ;)
    DHIEMM.png

Join date July 08
  • Options
    kal36kal36 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So far so good except the graphics are really fuzzy, tried changing the settings but it doesn't help,anyone else having problems with graphics?
  • Options
    deceon55deceon55 Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So far other than the intro which goes by way to fast read I am having a blast.
  • Options
    namtarcnamtarc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just one bug to report for the moment:

When I visit my ship, when I look out of the window in the bedroomon the Main level of the Warbird, I can see the Med-bay as a cut out.

Dunno if this has been posted already.

Cheers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Laisu VaNotas - U.S.S. Warbreaker
    Raoden - I.R.W. Warmaker
  • Options
    markxximarkxxi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    First off, thank you for the beta test invitation. All looks good, feels good, and is the fresh start that STO needed! The new uniforms look great!

My only negative comment is that conducting ground combat needs a more detailed tutorial. For example, walk the character through the crouch, focused fire (etc.) commands to really gain the benefits of their carried weapons. Teach how to fight hand to hand. In fact, review the Fed character's tutorial on ground combat as well.

Not a complete well done, but very close.
  • Options
    sekusei28sekusei28 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Love the new character creation layout, and the UI. Love how quickly you can get your boffs and the abilities they start off with are a great help (my starting tact boff has THY3 and CRF3) Kinda wish that unlocks done for holodeck via the store would carry over when you copy a character to tribble but that's just a minor inconvenience. The tut was well done the graphics look so much more vibrant. There were some minor clipping issues with uniforms and with the character creator would like a way to have the head and hairstyle toolbars removed or fade out when zooming in on character, lighting could be tweaked a bit. The ship designs were well thought out and love the abilities you gain with the singularity cores (would be neat to see a crossover just for romulan class players to use the singularity core in the faction ships) can't wait to see what is VO and what isn't with the expansion (talked with the dev last night and they already said the intro was going to get a VO) Some of the cutscenes though that won't be voiced need to be slowed some on text so you can read what is being said/going on. All in all a great addition to a great mmo! Cannot wait to see the finished product when it goes live in May.