test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO as a game,turning into a Job????

chaz200565chaz200565 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
As is known,this game is not all shootem ups. Theres alot more to it,and its very time consuming,especially with running a fleet and general future strategy.
Arranging and doing projects,getting resources and so on.
Sometimes,I think this game seems more like a Job than a game.
Not everyone will agree,but who does agree????
Just wondering.
Post edited by chaz200565 on

Comments

• Options
    mn03mn03 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's a MMO, what else can you expect of it.
  • Options
    cyberglum11cyberglum11 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This can occur in any MMO where you're running a fleet/guild/clan. I use to run a PvP guild over in THAT game by Blizzard. After getting home from a days work I'd log-in and find 20-30 people waiting on me to lead PvP teams. Without me on they just wouldn't happen. It basically felt like I was doing Blizzards job for them.

While this if fun and fine for a certain amount of time It can wear you down. If you're not enjoying it A simple answer is step-down from the role, perhaps suggest someone else take-on the responsibility. Alternatively, a more drastic action is to just stop playing the game.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's not the game's fault at all. Man, the *instant* I feel it's "work" I'm taking a break.

Good luck!
  • Options
    lukem2409lukem2409 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It does indeed at times, hell I've just finished Omega rep on all 3 of my toons, I've only done new Rom on one of them, half way through it on another and on another I've just finished Tier 1.

Still New Rom feels less grindy then Omega.

Still point I'm making is we've got Tholian Rep coming and if anyone thinks I'm doing all this grinding again on a Romulan toon they can forget it. If anything I might take one to max level then delete it and just play for the story.
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've hated "daily quests" for as long as they've been around for this very reason.

That said, this game is only a job if you treat it like one. If you're not playing for fun, then its time to ask why are you "playing"?

My fleetmates have given me some funny reactions when they find out I'll continue doing Tau Dewa Patrols even after I've finished the daily - because I find the constant skirmishes to be an enjoyable activity in and of itself. There was a time when games were little more than just that.. and people still had a blast. STO has that and so, so much more. It's all a matter of perspective.
  • Options
    rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    it can turn into a job if you let it.

i was trying the foundry, but it felt more like work than a game so i stopped.

back when i first started playing i created a couple other characters. grinding for 3 felt like work, so again, i stopped.

i have started using my other 2 alts now, but take my time. my primary character comes first and the other 2 get time when i feel like it.

i do regret starting the crystaline entity on all 3 because it feels like work. had the CE been designed to be a little more challenging and fun it might not be so bad, but i find it boring.

i am certain beyond any reason of a doubt that i will never start a romulan or any other character because more grind makes it feel like work.
  • Options
    soundwisdomsoundwisdom Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The issue comes from the 'reward system' within STO in and of itself. Many MMO's have the 'time sink', but many games balance time v reward a LOT BETTER.

My issue(as well as many others) is the fact that STO has an affinity with per-character stuff. With the sheer number of alts that everyone has the sheer number of per-character progression; as opposed to account wide progression is irritating and depressing.

The length of said grinds is unfulfilling as well. The linearity of rewards and the length between rewards is off the scale. Causing most to stop the 'grind' before finishing on the characters they want and many to quit before finishing even one character.

The freshest memory of terrible design decision in terms of reward v time; would be the new CE event reputation. It's a time gated event, with a larger reward but a large time investment. Instead of it being being 15/24(I'm at work and can't remember the exact number of shards out of the total..so sorry if it's incorrect) for 100k dil, it should have been turn in 5 for a third of the reward.

That way you have a shorter investment and a more 'instant gratification' process but also still have the long term investment if you want it. The grand majority of the progression, systems, etc in the game follow this same scheme.

In short; the time to reward ratio(for me, and I suspect many others..) is just off.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The moment a hobby starts feeling like work is the moment it is time to take a break and try another hobby. When STO starts to feel too much like work I move onto another MMO for a bit. That "like work" feeling happens in every MMO - whether you're grinding a WoW raid for the 10th time or an STF for the 20th.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    lordvalecortezlordvalecortez Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The moment a hobby starts feeling like work is the moment it is time to take a break and try another hobby. When STO starts to feel too much like work I move onto another MMO for a bit. That "like work" feeling happens in every MMO - whether you're grinding a WoW raid for the 10th time or an STF for the 20th.

The man with 14+ toons speaks the truth. Taking a step back and doing something else ultimately lets you enjoy the game more. I run 4 toons only, as I'm desperately trying to build up a starbase. I've found myself playing a lot more EU III lately for the change of pace. It's helping out a lot.
    Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If they can successfully push a lot of the boring administrative and logistical tasks that take up valuable game time to the Gateway, I will mind the grind a lot less.

Because I have lots of time and access to the Internet and web browsers throughout my day. Playing the game in the evenings, not so much.

Admin Fleet -> Gateway
    Start DOFF assignments -> Gateway
    Moving items from character/ship to inventory and vice versa -> Gateway
    Moving items from bank to account bank and vice versa -> Gateway
    Changing BOFF/DOFF roster -> Gateway
    Exchange -> Gateway
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    chaz200565 wrote: »

Well no, because my job pays me money, not the other way around.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I wish there was more progress towards account wide unlocks, loads of c-store stuff isn't even account unlock anymore, so I won't touch it. And along with the Fleet modules on top of that.

I really like the 'Badass points' of Borderlands 2, was really nice to have a little something on your next character to get it rolling. Same with the account unlock legacy c-store items, I like going through and unlocking them on new characters. :D
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you feel like it's a job, you need to either go on a vacation, or quit the job...

What you are expirienceing, can't be healthy.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, it doesn't match any job I know of. The solo stuff is fun if you don't hold yourself to a pace. The fleet stuff feels more like a job but it's the only job I know of where your boss can get his account TRIBBLE and you lose everything.

Since nothing was done when my fleet lost its T4.5 starbase and T2 embassy to ONE TRIBBLE ACCOUNT, I'd advise ignoring that fleets exist for the most part.
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I had this happen last year, got to the point where I just could not bare to log in for anything be it general play or fleet events. So I left for six months, I have only just started playing again recently when LoR was announced.

So now I keep the time I spend playing down to a minimum, though I have logged in for about an hour each day to quickly run Crystalline Catastrophe on each of my toons. Every few days I will log in for a few hours and do some EC and Dil grinding in preparation for LoR but beyond these things I don't do much.

The thing I find amusing is that in the year I spent playing before taking my break I posted a total of 60ish times here on the forums. Since the LoR preview site went up that number has gone up to 224 times...well 225 with this post. Nothing like finally getting the group you have always wanted to play to make one pay attention.
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, it doesn't match any job I know of. The solo stuff is fun if you don't hold yourself to a pace. The fleet stuff feels more like a job but it's the only job I know of where your boss can get his account TRIBBLE and you lose everything.

Since nothing was done when my fleet lost its T4.5 starbase and T2 embassy to ONE TRIBBLE ACCOUNT, I'd advise ignoring that fleets exist for the most part.

I read about that on Massively today. That's rough. I hope you guys are able to pull something from the wreckage and hope you get the continued support of the community to rebuild.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Been hearing about this lately but I haven't been able to find any details on what happened. That is really rough, kind of puts my fleet problems in perspective, it could always be worse.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    chaz200565 wrote: »
    As is known,this game is not all shootem ups. Theres alot more to it,and its very time consuming,especially with running a fleet and general future strategy.
    Arranging and doing projects,getting resources and so on.
    Not everyone will agree,but who does agree????
    Just wondering.
    If it has dental I am all for it.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The core issue is that sometimes we all lose sight of the difference between needs and wants.

Our brains are wired a certain way regarding needs. Advertising at all levels from TV to online, to even what items a store places near the cash register are designed to manipulate this bit of our brain and make us think a want is a need. One of the most powerful drivers of this mistake is competitiveness. "If bob can do this and has that, then I need to do it better and have more" thinks our brain.

When it hits in an MMO, it makes any process lose the appeal. But that is just perception, no different than putting on green glasses and thinking your neighbor just painted his white house.

It happens in real life every time Apple releases a new iphone or ipad. And it happens in games like STO too.

The problem is with us, not with the game.

Take a breath, stand back and realize that you don't NEED anything that you don't already have. fleet weapons? T5 reputation? both optional. if it takes you 4 years to max out, so what? Is your fleet going to send thugs to your house to kneecap you because you're not grinding dilithium fast enough?

Play the parts of the game you enjoy and ignore the rewards as much as possible. Stuff piles up over time no matter what you do. Stuff meaning marks, dil, and energy credits.

Just play it like a game and ignore the reward. and that means if it stops being fun take a break and come back later.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The time-limited stuff is the worst at doing that (which I'm sure is entirely intentional). The CE for example, running 9 characters through it every night, I haven't done anything else but that mission since it came out. I don't want to do it, I don't like doing it, I get irritable while doing it, but if I don't do it now it won't be around to do later and I'll be stuck with an incomplete project taunting me in my UI. All that said, I will not participate in whatever the next Event Reputation thing is; I'm not making that mistake again.
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Considering the refining limit and the way STO is currently designed all around Dilithium it rather is very much like a job.
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    lol, in WOW i had issues to equip my holy priest raid heal for 7 months, doing 25 mans twice a week.

STO, in comparison, is a walk in a rose garden.

but i agree, they should just let the project "run out" when an event is not available anymore. or save the shards for next time it will be available.

just came home after a long day and i cannot really imagine to play it 5 times.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The issue comes from the 'reward system' within STO in and of itself. Many MMO's have the 'time sink', but many games balance time v reward a LOT BETTER.

My issue(as well as many others) is the fact that STO has an affinity with per-character stuff. With the sheer number of alts that everyone has the sheer number of per-character progression; as opposed to account wide progression is irritating and depressing.
    Approximately one week ago, I deleted four out of five of my avatars. I also deleted my Foundry missions. "Star Trek: Online" is a mixed bag of fun and boredom. If you try to tackle too much at once, "Star Trek: Online" can become a very daunting experience. You will burn out sooner than later.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Is STO a Job? YES!

I discussed this with Branflakes with me one day and asked why I wasn't having fun, and I told him point-blank that STO is like a job.

Prior to F2P, I could just play one character and enjoy myself flying around and doing the things I wanted to do. If I wanted to switch a character, I could. But when F2P came, I had no choice but having to devote my time in doing DOFFing, STF grinding, and working on Dilithium to "make a living".

Then Starbaes came then I had to devote MORE time to working on my Starbase, then the Embassy came then that took more of my Dilithium, which made me having to work hard on my 6 mains. And then I realized, I no longer had any real personal time.

Now with LoR, I now have to devote even MORE time to the three new Romulan characters that I wanted to create. And I learned that the more characters you got in STO, the more work you have to do to maintain them.

That is why people have left, because people got tired of maintaining their characters instead of actually having fun. All the channels that were alive and now dead, because people just had it with "the job". It's not about fun anymore, its all about earning Fleet Marks or Dilithium.

Wish Cryptic realized it.
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Can we all please stop posting and get back to work! Those starbases won't complete themselves! ( seriously.. now where did i put that dillithium clam )
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    z3ndor99 wrote: »
    Can we all please stop posting and get back to work! Those starbases won't complete themselves! ( seriously.. now where did i put that dillithium clam )

Dilithium clam? Sounds delicious!!
  • Options
    mattimeo97mattimeo97 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wish Cryptic realized it.

They do realize it. You're making money for them at a little under minimum wage.

When we tire of toiling in their mines, there will be others to come along.
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yep dillithum clam, bitter, expensive and taste like taco headed people! Yummy ...
  • Options
    thenumber55thenumber55 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    as i said back in my Raiding days

when the Game feels like a job, it is time to find a new Game

//not to say you should ignore your in-game responsibilities, but RL is more important then the game. and no one should stress over a game
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    mattimeo97 wrote: »
    They do realize it. You're making money for them at a little under minimum wage.

When we tire of toiling in their mines, there will be others to come along.

How can I be making money for them if I don't put any money into it? :P