What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Literary Challenge #41 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    superhombre777superhombre777 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My entry is now posted. It was thought up while flying most of the way across the country and reading a book about an assassination attempt. That may be reflected in the story. I have also updated the timeline with links to old posts in case anyone has trouble sleeping at night.

I have been meaning to do something like this for a while.

@ cmdrscarlet - good job. I liked how Kathryn's character was called into question (was she acting out of revenge?), and in the end we still don't know.
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Well set-up, and nice to have backstory to reference, I see a few entries that tell me I've got a LOT of work to do to make it into the upper tiers on these challenges.

You did a good job showing that your captain is bitter and mad. I'm not sure what actually happened though besides the cousin being sent into vacuum.

Don't get discouraged by other people's entries. It seems like the best way to improve at writing is to write consistently and read a variety of things regularly. You don't need to have a lengthy entry to have a good one. (Of course, take everything I say with a grain of salt...or two, or three.)
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My entry is now posted.

Great piece! I loved the Tarantino-style "Let's start at the end" opening scene.

Your timeline was very helpful - I used the links to catch up on some of your LCs I'd missed and they where very useful in helping to explain Carter's motivations, as well as those of the Gorn. (Attacking a Federation research post seemed like an odd play for them, but assassinating their ambassador would provoke exactly that sort of surgical but brutal response.)

Can't wait to see where this goes next!
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    (Attacking a Federation research post seemed like an odd play for them, but assassinating their ambassador would provoke exactly that sort of surgical but brutal response.)
    Or they heard that Drake was there. In which case, I might assist the Gorn...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My entry is now posted. It was thought up while flying most of the way across the country and reading a book about an assassination attempt. That may be reflected in the story. I have also updated the timeline with links to old posts in case anyone has trouble sleeping at night.

I have been meaning to do something like this for a while.
    Awesome entry :cool:

[Edit to add]
    Scrub that thought, I just re-read, and there's no way T'Panna could be the assassin... Maybe a cloaked agent (or better yet a crew member... ) or even a photonic agent with their parameters set to outside the Human visual spectrum :cool:
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the comments!

Updated my post. I thought I might just throw in some pewpew with the shipborne Sevens.

As Picard found out a little late, this is why you have safety restraints! :D

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Awesome entry :cool:

[Edit to add]
    Scrub that thought, I just re-read, and there's no way T'Panna could be the assassin... Maybe a cloaked agent (or better yet a crew member... ) or even a photonic agent with their parameters set to outside the Human visual spectrum :cool:

Thanks! At this point I'm not sure who I want the assassin to be. Maybe we will never find out.

Anyway, I enjoyed your entry. I particularly liked Palmer's cool demeanor - as soon as Enterprise shows up and it's clear everything will be fine, she goes back to the ready room, presumably to remember that bath house again. Nice.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'm on a roll today! Updated again.

I'll do the rest of the shooter on rails thingy later. :P

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Thanks! At this point I'm not sure who I want the assassin to be. Maybe we will never find out.
    Even better, that makes it a real mystery :D It would be cool to find out who it was, but equally, a nice little thread of uncertainty for any future LC that any of the crew (barring those with Carter) could potentially be a 31 Agent under deep cover :cool:
    Anyway, I enjoyed your entry. I particularly liked Palmer's cool demeanor - as soon as Enterprise shows up and it's clear everything will be fine, she goes back to the ready room, presumably to remember that bath house again. Nice.
    Thanks, I view her as something of the anti-Monica... All Monica's pazzaz and organizational skills, but none of the desperate need for other's approval or self-doubt... I think having just got the ship out of spacedock, and what should've been a diplomatic mission, getting a beating from the Klingons probably exeeded her BS quota for the day, so it was time to lock herself in her room and have a little "FFS!!!" moment :D
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    khayuung wrote: »
    I'm on a roll today! Updated again.

I'll do the rest of the shooter on rails thingy later. :P

Sharp action, and some quirky humor, nice polishing :cool:
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    @khayuung - I hope you can appreciate that I'll provide feedback when your piece is finished?

@grylak - Fast paced! Admittedly, I had a hard time keeping up with the characters in the scenes, but I think that's my problem because of the amount of characters involved. I can't say that's a bad thing - but it's challenging to me.

@superhombre777 - Thank you for the feedback! I think Kathryn is due for some explination because I'm wondering if her secret past is becoming old-hat. Also, I want to have her crew on her side versus at odds with her personally. I may have made the crew ambiguously loyal to the Captain or maybe starting to make them more estranged from her than being a part of her team. Does anyone else get that impression as well? Regardless, yours is next in queue so expect a follow-up once I finish it.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    @khayuung - I hope you can appreciate that I'll provide feedback when your piece is finished?

Same here. I struggle trying to read works-in-progress.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    ironphoenix113ironphoenix113 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    (Finally) Done with mine. I was really hoping to be able to do a proper "battle" scene for the 1st, and I hopefully delivered. :D

A few things to note:
    First, yes, this was based loosely off of the in-game "Starbase 24" fleet action. I had done it shortly before beginning, and figured that this would make for an interesting variant on what is (in my opinion) one of the most epic battles in STO today.
    Second, the fleet I'm in in STO is called the 1st Assault fleet. And any (named) captains and ships in the story are based off of my fleetmates
    Third, with regards to Justin, the reason he seems a little...drill-sergeanty (is that even a word?) is because that's how I've written his character. He is a bit (okay maybe abit more than a bit) hard on his people when in combat, but otherwise he's mostly a rather quiet and reserved person.

Anyway, lemme know what you guys think!
    Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
    Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
    Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I think Kathryn is due for some explination because I'm wondering if her secret past is becoming old-hat. Also, I want to have her crew on her side versus at odds with her personally. I may have made the crew ambiguously loyal to the Captain or maybe starting to make them more estranged from her than being a part of her team. Does anyone else get that impression as well?
    I wouldn't say her secret is old-hat, but, it would be interesting to see an origin post which explains her past at least to us... From the entry in Ten Forward where the crew were gossiping about her, I would say that while there are some members of the crew who are totally loyal to Kathryn, there are others who are beginning to question her, and they may become a troublesome element if her past is not somehow explained to the crew as a whole...
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    (Finally) Done with mine. I was really hoping to be able to do a proper "battle" scene for the 1st, and I hopefully delivered. :D

A few things to note:
    First, yes, this was based loosely off of the in-game "Starbase 24" fleet action. I had done it shortly before beginning, and figured that this would make for an interesting variant on what is (in my opinion) one of the most epic battles in STO today.
    Second, the fleet I'm in in STO is called the 1st Assault fleet. And any (named) captains and ships in the story are based off of my fleetmates
    Third, with regards to Justin, the reason he seems a little...drill-sergeanty (is that even a word?) is because that's how I've written his character. He is a bit (okay maybe abit more than a bit) hard on his people when in combat, but otherwise he's mostly a rather quiet and reserved person.

Anyway, lemme know what you guys think!
    Battle delivered :cool: I really liked the entry all round, but one thing which caught my attention, was that Athena had changed the appearance of her holographic avatar... I hope you won't mind my decision to similarly upgrade the Valkyrie's computer. Even though Claire hasn't made a 'personal appearance' yet, I imagine that her choice of appearance, would be the most statistically common Human appearance :) I have to admit, Justin did seem a bit more 'on edge' than normal in berating his staff, but IRL people have different moods, good days and bad days, and often a different 'work persona' to how they are when at home, so I wouldn't've said the shift in his behavior was unusual :)
  • Options
    sparklysoldiersparklysoldier Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Sorry for not posting sooner! Things are incredibly busy on this side, but the finished story's coming soon (probably tomorrow, maybe later tonight if a miracle happens). I look forward to reading everyone's entries as soon as it's done. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Battle delivered :cool: I really liked the entry all round, but one thing which caught my attention, was that Athena had changed the appearance of her holographic avatar... I hope you won't mind my decision to similarly upgrade the Valkyrie's computer. Even though Claire hasn't made a 'personal appearance' yet, I imagine that her choice of appearance, would be the most statistically common Human appearance :) I have to admit, Justin did seem a bit more 'on edge' than normal in berating his staff, but IRL people have different moods, good days and bad days, and often a different 'work persona' to how they are when at home, so I wouldn't've said the shift in his behavior was unusual :)

You can go ahead and use the idea if you want. The way I see it, we're all really just borrowing ideas from everyone else so, I don't really mind that much. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    You can go ahead and use the idea if you want. The way I see it, we're all really just borrowing ideas from everyone else so, I don't really mind that much. :D
    That's true, but I didn't want you to feel I was stepping on your toes, as Athena is rather unique :cool: It just seemed that as the computer cores would have to be re-formatted following Eleven's re-writes, it would make sense that the AI technology become more available :) Out of curiosity, what prompted her change of appearance?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Sorry for not posting sooner! Things are incredibly busy on this side, but the finished story's coming soon (probably tomorrow, maybe later tonight if a miracle happens). I look forward to reading everyone's entries as soon as it's done. :)

Looking forward to reading it :cool:
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    That's true, but I didn't want you to feel I was stepping on your toes, as Athena is rather unique :cool: It just seemed that as the computer cores would have to be re-formatted following Eleven's re-writes, it would make sense that the AI technology become more available :) Out of curiosity, what prompted her change of appearance?

Well, previously, I hadn't really had an "avatar" for her yet. I thought it might lead to some interesting interactions with the crew. Rather than talking to her over the intercom, I thought it would give her a unique perspective, with her not only being the ship itself, but also now seeming more like a member of the crew as well. I believe where I wrote the retrofit for the ship-wide holo projectors in the supplement I wrote to my Lone Drone entry. I'd have to check to be for certain. Anyway, as I said, feel free to use my idea :cool: I'd take it as more of a compliment than anything if you were to do that. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Well, previously, I hadn't really had an "avatar" for her yet. I thought it might lead to some interesting interactions with the crew. Rather than talking to her over the intercom, I thought it would give her a unique perspective, with her not only being the ship itself, but also now seeming more like a member of the crew as well. I believe where I wrote the retrofit for the ship-wide holo projectors in the supplement I wrote to my Lone Drone entry. I'd have to check to be for certain. Anyway, as I said, feel free to use my idea :cool: I'd take it as more of a compliment than anything if you were to do that. :D
    Ahh, that might've just been me misreading then... I'd always envisaged Athena as having a holographic presence, so when I read 'new', (and given how I figured Claire would go for the most statistically common appearance) I thought she might have chosen to alter her appearance :D And absolutely, I'll be sure to feature Claire in future LCs where the opportunity presents itself :) Next on my 'to do list' is a little 'in between' bridging piece before the next LC is presented...
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Ahh, that might've just been me misreading then... I'd always envisaged Athena as having a holographic presence, so when I read 'new', (and given how I figured Claire would go for the most statistically common appearance) I thought she might have chosen to alter her appearance :D And absolutely, I'll be sure to feature Claire in future LCs where the opportunity presents itself :) Next on my 'to do list' is a little 'in between' bridging piece before the next LC is presented...

You're not the only one with a to-do list :D Mine (at present) consists of:

Bryan's parent's racism
    Bryan's half-sister (NOT saying anything about that one at present. Read, and you shall see)
    Write more about the crew off-the-clock
    Give some more details about Bryan's affinity for tactics

The list goes on, but I can't say much more without spoiling to much. I fear mentioning the second plot may have been, but alas, I cannot change what I say. Well, actually, the edit feature allows me to do just that. Eh, I'll just leave it for now :D
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ironphoenix--very nice battle sequences there! A lot of us ignore the "admiral" rank and write as captains, so it was interesting to see what the battle looks like at the admiral level!

Cmdrscarlet--I have to admit, it's hard for me to see how, as Kathryn's vendetta becomes clear, discontent and suspicion would NOT emerge. I know I would have no confidence in her as my CO, if I became aware of the events you have described. Especially the one where she (rather sadistically) had the ship ram that drone. The fact that the order was followed without protest, or the ship's CMO forcing her off duty for a psych eval is one I haven't gotten.

Please bear in mind that above all it's your choice. I just find myself thinking the ambiguity could be appearing because it would be a natural consequence of a Starfleet captain taking the actions you have described to satisfy her vendetta.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Here's a new thought - since several of us have been around for a while, why don't we suggest "stretch" topics to help each other out? I'm talking about breaking away from recurring themes, new points of view, different characters, etc. I'm thinking this is a polite way to help each other grow as writers.

@ cmdrscarlet - could you write a story focused on a different crew member? I can't remember much about your other bridge officers.

@ marcusdkane - what is Palmer's weakness?

@ sander233 - could you aim for shorter entries? The pirate one was the perfect length.

Hopefully I will think of more comments along these lines for other people. Feel free to suggest things for me.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd say that those sorts of things should only be taken as options--not obligations for the authors. We all have our own styles and a right to those styles. :)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Sharp action, and some quirky humor, nice polishing :cool:
    Thanks! Aric just came out of nowhere, I normally use doffs as inspiration for the guest character of the week, and Aric the very rare Caitian Assault Squad Officer was born. I run on quite a bit of COD4 when writing about MACOs, but really I find that it contrasts neatly with Starfleet's much more clean culture.
    sander233 wrote: »
    Same here. I struggle trying to read works-in-progress.

No problem guys! Thanks for even reading it, when I really am just writing whatever I feel like writing about. XD

Just a little word about the Yamato and her named crew. You can see that Minase plus most of the officers on her ship isn't S31, only her flag officer is. You also notice that she and her bridge officers all are not only humans, but they are also Japanese. There's a reason for this xenophobia. Ever since she discovered Yuung's S31 affiliation, and that he holds as much clout as Drake in the orbat charts, Iori has been wary about new crew transfers and things that go bump on her ship. Being placed in command of the Yamato in 2412 meant that she needed more hands, but at the same time, she wanted to have enough faces who aren't S31 so that she can continue to act as the watcher of the Task Force. So she picked some juniors from Starfleet whom she grew up with in Edo Bay, Japan, and they recommended their friends, which led to this strange, atypical make-up amongst the senior staff.

Yuung allows it because its practical. That has always been his principle: Ideals work until they stop doing so, because that's when realism takes hold. Which was why Mother recruited him, amongst other attributes like being utterly forgettable, never standing out and always getting the job done.

Sevens tend to be rather informal with one another because 3 years ago, all their captains and admirals (with the exception of Nishizumi) were Ensigns of the same class fresh out of Starfleet. Even Nishizumi of the USS Dreamriser was a couple years their junior back in the Academy.

I also write in the perspective of a Task Force as it allows me to focus on a single ship or a fleet of them, keep shuffling perspectives, change ships, and introduce and send away characters at will, giving the vibe of a bustling active series.

• Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks! Aric just came out of nowhere, I normally use doffs as inspiration for the guest character of the week

I do the exact same thing for mine. That's where Willie Wurz came from. Yes, I actually have her as a tactical doff in my roster.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    You're not the only one with a to-do list :D Mine (at present) consists of:

Bryan's parent's racism
    Bryan's half-sister (NOT saying anything about that one at present. Read, and you shall see)
    Write more about the crew off-the-clock
    Give some more details about Bryan's affinity for tactics

The list goes on, but I can't say much more without spoiling to much. I fear mentioning the second plot may have been, but alas, I cannot change what I say. Well, actually, the edit feature allows me to do just that. Eh, I'll just leave it for now :D

Them's some meaty topics :cool: That's not saying too much at all, it's not spoilers, just a quick outline of what's to come :D
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    what is Palmer's weakness?
    Cruising bath-houses for strange :P

Joking aside, I'd say her biggest weakness is self-imposed isolation and a fear of loss. A relationship with a fellow officer early in her career ended with their death in duty, and that's not something she's willing to allow happen again. While the door of her quarters is 'always open' (as it's the closest thing she has to a ready room) she would never have social functions, or visit the crew lounges...
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Thanks! Aric just came out of nowhere, I normally use doffs as inspiration for the guest character of the week, and Aric the very rare Caitian Assault Squad Officer was born. I run on quite a bit of COD4 when writing about MACOs, but really I find that it contrasts neatly with Starfleet's much more clean culture.
    It works nicely, as you say, it's a good contrast to Starfleet polish :) Have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of Caitans, but I did think Aric was rather cool :cool:
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    gulberat wrote: »
    Cmdrscarlet--I have to admit, it's hard for me to see how, as Kathryn's vendetta becomes clear, discontent and suspicion would NOT emerge. I know I would have no confidence in her as my CO, if I became aware of the events you have described. Especially the one where she (rather sadistically) had the ship ram that drone. The fact that the order was followed without protest, or the ship's CMO forcing her off duty for a psych eval is one I haven't gotten.

Damn. I was hoping not to read a post like this but I'm not surprised. Yet, I did ask for it didn't I :P

One man's sadism is another man's "hell yeah" (I'm not sayig I'm sadistic :eek: ). At the same time, I didn't write about the consequences after that moment intentionally because I could see it go several ways:
    * the crew accepts their Captain as she is
    * the crew is loyal to a flaw for reasons unexplained
    * the crew IS questioning loyalty/sanity of the Captain but go along because of "duty"
    * the crew suggested she go to counseling and is actively seeking it but it's a process
    * the crew was gathered for their similar distaste for Orions (not supported)
    * the crew sees a more judicial approach from Kathryn in all other things thus creating a whacky balance

I have not settled on the Truth and on a ship of 799 other crew there may be other possibilities. So a post from a BOff could be revealing and that was technically done in the "Haven" piece - yet that was more snapshots and added ambiguity due to the varied PoVs.

Hmm. Am I thinking too much? As I write a response I don't mean to read defensive. I need to develop Kathryn more in order to explain events in these LCs. So, I either need to make longer posts or have a separate thread. :o