Options

Literary Challenge #41 Discussion Thread

123457»

Comments

• Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    gulberat wrote: »
    Quantum slipstream seems to be a routine thing. Transwarp is mainly done by transwarp gates to certain set destinations, though you can purchase (at a significant expense in-game) a consumable device that expands your list of destinations significantly.
    Ahh, I see where I was going wrong, I was confusing the idea of an onboard quantum slipstream drive with the transwarp gates... I still feel Captain Sengupta jumped the gun though, and was a bit too gung-ho in that situation...
    I expect it was, too, though to him there is a difference between a senseless death or a murder, and a death by someone who swore to do his duty, and gave his life for something truly meaningful. But I am sure that was a difficult understanding for him to come to.
    Indeed, it would definitely have been an interesting process or occurence which enabled him to 'see the light' as it were on that subject...
    The command track was not really open to science officers when he was at the Academy after all, and he chose science.

I am still not sure what happened to prompt him to seek command once that track opened to science officers, but at some point it did happen.
    I have to admit, I think it always has been open to science officers... Spock was science through and through, yet was considered to be Kirk's first officer and commanded the Enterprise on occasion, and was given command when promoted to captain. I don't think that the science track necessarily 'dead ends' when someone hits the rank of commander, I guess it's just a case of if an officer is in the position to then be given a command... For example, when Alyosha served under Captain Teeglar, was he merely Teeglar's 'spare pare of hands', as Riker was for Picard, or did he still maintain a functional position, like Spock did for Kirk? Ironically, while writing that, I've just realized this of my own captain's first officers:

Rebecca Kane - Science Officer
    Jedda Tobin - Communications Officer
    Rynar Lambert - Tactically trained, but essentially a spare pare of hands...
    Bellic Chanos - Chief of Security
    Brandon Mayer - Ops Manager

As you know, one of those characters was a 'fifth wheel' and had to be 'removed from the roster', so that may shed light into Alyosha's service as first officer... :D
    Indeed! There are a LOT of court-martial offenses out there, not to mention other things that could trigger a board of inquiry.

And it would also be interesting to see what would cause the Klingons to open a legal proceeding rather than just solving it by a duel...
    Absolutely :) I've always seen Amanda as keeping her nose pretty clean when it comes to stuff like that, but beaming a tricobalt device onto an enemy ship at the instant of down-warping, before offering them a chance to surrender, could probably earn her a slapped wrist from the Admiralty... I would say that S'rR's pretty much sending Yurass and his parliament to their dooms might fall under a similar category, but, she's a) no longer a Starfleet officer, so no longer bound by those codes, or even by the Prime Directive, b) legitimately fulfilling her duties as ambassador, by arranging diplomatic audiences for her sovereign, and c) letting the behavior of Yurass and co determine their fate with the Empress ;)
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For example, when Alyosha served under Captain Teeglar, was he merely Teeglar's 'spare pare of hands', as Riker was for Picard, or did he still maintain a functional position, like Spock did for Kirk?

I would imagine he still served at least somewhat as a science officer.

And I agree that in the 23rd century a career didn't dead-end because of being in science. However, I got the impression that by the 24th century--at least for a time--it did. Then Janeway started to break that precedent.
    I would say that S'rR's pretty much sending Yurass and his parliament to their dooms might fall under a similar category, but, she's a) no longer a Starfleet officer, so no longer bound by those codes, or even by the Prime Directive, b) legitimately fulfilling her duties as ambassador, by arranging diplomatic audiences for her sovereign, and c) letting the behavior of Yurass and co determine their fate with the Empress ;)

I may have missed something...but would the Empress execute Yurass and company if she disapproved of them?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I would imagine he still served at least somewhat as a science officer.
    I think a good example of how the Riker-esque first officers really were pointless, was the episode of TNG where the crew developed amnesia, and an alien agent provocateur was placed on board in the role of first officer... The computer was tampered with to amend Riker and Data's positions irrespective of their ranks, and Riker and the 'first officer' were both left sitting next to Picard, still essentially doing nothing :D
    And I agree that in the 23rd century a career didn't dead-end because of being in science. However, I got the impression that by the 24th century--at least for a time--it did. Then Janeway started to break that precedent.
    I have to admit, I think it was probably more a case of a person's career steering them in a particular direction, rather than them not being afforded the position... For example, I imagine Alyosha would have had offers from various technical institutes and colleges to work at and lecture at, in addition to the promotion to captain, and I would imagine that for some, their love of science, would take them away from Starfleet service, rather than the higher echelons of command. There was a Crewman (I think his name was Harran) aboard Voyager who had enlisted simply to get practical experience to further his planned academic career, I think it just depended on where someone wanted to go with their career :)
    I may have missed something...but would the Empress execute Yurass and company if she disapproved of them?
    The best word to describe the Empress, is 'mercurial'... To answer the question specifically, if they were on their Best Behavior, probably not. But, I couldn't say that it couldn't happen if they did something to TRIBBLE her off... :eek:
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And it would also be interesting to see what would cause the Klingons to open a legal proceeding rather than just solving it by a duel...

Ooh, I have a few ideas...

I think a good example of how the Riker-esque first officers really were pointless, was the episode of TNG where the crew developed amnesia, and an alien agent provocateur was placed on board in the role of first officer... The computer was tampered with to amend Riker and Data's positions irrespective of their ranks, and Riker and the 'first officer' were both left sitting next to Picard, still essentially doing nothing :D

I disagree. They were both advising Picard throughout the episode (delivering bad advice, but still) and then throughout the series Riker was always the guy on the ground with the away teams, the interface between the command staff and the crew (very necessary when you have a crew of that size) and he took over the ship when Picard was off at some archaeology conference or getting heart surgery or getting assimilated or whatever.

I think especially for large ships, having a first officer who is little more or less than extra set of eyes, ears and hands for the Captain (and occasionally voicing a differing opinion so his Captain sees all the angles of a situation) is absolutely essential.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited April 2013

If actual canon is anything to go by, the Klingons are less adverse to legal actions than one might think. There was, after all, Kirk's trial in STVI, and IIRC, there was an episode of DS9 (during the brief Fed-Klingon War arc) that had a Klingon prosecutor trying to pin war crimes on Worf during an inquiry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    I disagree. They were both advising Picard throughout the episode (delivering bad advice, but still) and then throughout the series Riker was always the guy on the ground with the away teams, the interface between the command staff and the crew (very necessary when you have a crew of that size) and he took over the ship when Picard was off at some archaeology conference or getting heart surgery or getting assimilated or whatever.

I think especially for large ships, having a first officer who is little more or less than extra set of eyes, ears and hands for the Captain (and occasionally voicing a differing opinion so his Captain sees all the angles of a situation) is absolutely essential.
    Yes, I guess to be fair, Riker did have that function of giving Picard additional options and opinions, if not a specific console to operate. And equally, I would write away missions etc for a first officer, and have no trouble with them actually 'doing something', it was just while on the bridge that I found them twiddling their thumbs (or firing on Borg ships ;) ) :D
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Yes, I guess to be fair, Riker did have that function of giving Picard additional options and opinions, if not a specific console to operate. And equally, I would write away missions etc for a first officer, and have no trouble with them actually 'doing something', it was just while on the bridge that I found them twiddling their thumbs (or firing on Borg ships ;) ) :D

I know what you mean. My first officer Marq felt totally useless this round. But then again I just had him on Facility 4028 where he was practically running the show for the good Admiral, and when I introduced I showed he was totally capable of command (at least in a combat simulation...)

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I know what you mean. My first officer Marq felt totally useless this round. But then again I just had him on Facility 4028 where he was practically running the show for the good Admiral, and when I introduced I showed he was totally capable of command (at least in a combat simulation...)
    I'm sure Marq will get the chance to come to the fore again in the future :) Equally, I hope a future LC gives you the chance to expand on Miss Zain, I think she's going to have an interesting story behind her :cool:
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'm sure Marq will get the chance to come to the fore again in the future :) Equally, I hope a future LC gives you the chance to expand on Miss Zain, I think she's going to have an interesting story behind her :cool:

Yeah, right now she's just a PWO DOff with way too much job satisfaction. But she does amuse me, and I would like to see her grow into a real person.

- Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, right now she's just a PWO DOff with way too much job satisfaction. But she does amuse me, and I would like to see her grow into a real person.
    She does seem rather excitable :D It's always interesting to see where the LCs take things and characters. I'd never originally planned for Commander Lambert to off himself, but that was just the way things went :eek: