test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What The Cryptic: No Liberated Borg Romulans??

Comments

• neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Only thing I'll agree to complain with is no Borg Romulan.:(
    GwaoHAD.png
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Only thing I'll agree to complain with is no Borg Romulan.:(

well cant say I didn't see this coming...... :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Did they officially say no to those? I thought the Ask Cryptic said they're still reviewing which perks people will get?

This is my read as well. I have a feeling its more a safeguard toward having to make Veteran Reward equivalents for every tier. I could see how they might not make ships or special uniforms.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Did they officially say no to those? I thought the Ask Cryptic said they're still reviewing which perks people will get?

a day ago I would have said maybe after today I don't see it
    nabuboria wrote: »
    You have to read between the lines, that is to cover their backs and whilst not all of the rewards may be transferable we should see some at least.

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    @OP - the answer is simple, team green is not a proper faction; ergo no LB race for it or really any others for that matter.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • dm19deltadm19delta Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm concerned about the playable races, or lack there of, too. What I got from that ask Cryptic, was, until you complete tier 1 of the rep system (possibly), you will have no choice but to play as a Romulan, and only a Romulan, no Alien/Gen hybrid, just a Romulan. Now I will most definitely be choosing a Romulan, so that doesn't bother me, but what about the folks who would rather play as a Reman or some other race the Romulans could possibly integrate into their ranks?

The variety in races are of concern, but that all pales in comparison to the other questions that were answered, specifically, about the alliances. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I gather that at the end of the upcoming Romulan feature episode series, you have to pick a side to ally with. What if I don't want to side with either one of them? What if I would rather worry about my new homeworld than embroil myself in a war between the Federation and Klingons? The next part, is access to cross faction ships and consoles. Did I read this correctly? If I ally with the Federation, I, as a Romulan, will be able to take one of Starfleet's most advanced ships (the Odysee for example) and go galavanting off through the galaxy, while still at the same time having my own Romulan ships? This is a bad idea for two reasons:

1. They're Romulans. Sure D'Tan is trying to play nice with the Remans and everyone else and build a new Romulus free from Tyranny and all of that, but let's not forget what kind of tactics the Romulans are known for. It's not uncommon for the Romulans to be back stabbers when it suits them. I can see the Federation maybe doing this, because they have a tendency to be a bunch of space hippies sometimes (it's still a big stretch though), but would the Klingons really be so foolish as to give the Romulans access to their most advanced designs?

2. From a game standpoint, is it really a good idea to allow players from another faction have access to one faction or the other's ships and consoles when those two factions can't do the same, and what kind of problems would this cause later on down the road when the Romulans are finally fully realized into their own fully independent faction? Personally, I want the Romulans because they are the Romulans. I want to fly a D'deridex as a Romulan. If I wanted to fly around in a Sovereign or a Negh'var, I would play one of those factions. The only cross faction ship that I can see making any kind of sense for the Romulans to have, is the Klingon D7 cruiser, or some Romulan variant of it, because that is a ship the Romulans actually used in ST lore.

My next question, is PvP. Why couldn't PvP be three factions, or at least a part of it anyway? I can't tell you how fun it would be to see three different factions, all with their own strengths and weaknses fighting it out in a space or ground arena in a three way fight. It doesn't make much sense to have Romulans with the KDF, and Romulans with Starfleet trying to kill each other when the Romulans are struggling to regain their place in the galaxy. I envoke the Chewbacca defense here. It does not make sense.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Dan specifically said that the lis the gave was only what the faction would launch with. He specifically said they were planning to add more after launch. I'm expecting Lib Borg to be included.

And here's the specific question about Lifetime rewards:
    Q: (robdmc) Will gold and lifetime subscription perks get applied to the new Romulan faction?

Dstahl: We are currently reviewing all of these perks to determine which of them will be available to the Romulan faction at launch. We?ll finalize a list once we get closer to May.

So relax about the Liberated Borg Romulans. I think they're a sure thing. Cryptic just doesn't want to say so until they start making announcements.
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I want my ROM Borg
    download.jpg
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm guessing the parts will just be unlocked for lifers in the alien-gen system for the Romulan faction. It seems like it would be more effort to exclude the option.
  • squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm guessing the parts will just be unlocked for lifers in the alien-gen system for the Romulan faction. It seems like it would be more effort to exclude the option.

Your sig is epic.

And while that would make sense, it hasn't happened for Aliens & Lifers in the other factions. If they made it so, that'd be great, but... yeah. Not expecting much.
    SQUIRREL!
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,863 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Reviewing lifetime perks, I bet this is there way of not making a vet ship, you can take the fed or kdf vet ship so romulans don't need their own...
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    cryptic never said a flat out No to Romulan Lib borg... those three are just what the got completely planned. the Lib borg could be part of their vet rewards talks. they might add in rom lib borg at that time.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tenkari wrote: »
    cryptic never said a flat out No to Romulan Lib borg... those three are just what the got completely planned. the Lib borg could be part of their vet rewards talks. they might add in rom lib borg at that time.
    It's highly likely considering there is an existing precedent for the KDF and FED. It is however, completely absurd that there would be not one, but two species restricted to paying customers (and not even being a zen store unlock, requiring Golld or Lifetime) when there are only two FTP options available, including one that will inevitably require Romulan Marks and Dilithium to unlock.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Dan specifically said that the lis the gave was only what the faction would launch with. He specifically said they were planning to add more after launch. I'm expecting Lib Borg to be included.
    And here's the specific question about Lifetime rewards:
    Q: (robdmc) Will gold and lifetime subscription perks get applied to the new Romulan faction?

Dstahl: We are currently reviewing all of these perks to determine which of them will be available to the Romulan faction at launch. We?ll finalize a list once we get closer to May.
    So relax about the Liberated Borg Romulans. I think they're a sure thing. Cryptic just doesn't want to say so until they start making announcements.
    Close. I was actually talking about question #2:
    Q: (kekvin) What races (species) will be in the Romulan faction?

Dstahl: At the launch of Legacy of Romulus there will be Romulans, Remans, and Alien-Gen hybrids. Reman species are an account unlocked reward that will be added to the New Romulus Reputation or available for purchase. Alien-Gen hybrids may only be created by Subscribers or Lifetime members. In the future we will be adding more species to the Romulan faction.
    See? It specifically says "we will be adding more".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What is the rationale behind this? I have a LTS, there would seem to be no reason to exclude us from creating Liberated Borg Romulans. There's precedent for it in the show (VOY: Unimatrix Zero) and in STO (Donatra in Khitomer Accord).

What gives Cryptic? You've completely wrecked my character plan at the moment...so is this a "right now" answer or "we'll get to that soon(tm)" answer?

but when you bought LTS you knew what you get.I dont think it said anywhere you will get romulans or liberated romulans.
    edited March 2013
    It's highly likely considering there is an existing precedent for the KDF and FED. It is however, completely absurd that there would be not one, but two species restricted to paying customers (and not even being a zen store unlock, requiring Golld or Lifetime) when there are only two FTP options available, including one that will inevitably require Romulan Marks and Dilithium to unlock.
    Consider this: how many KDF races are "paywalled"? Lib Borg(LTS), Joined Trill(Zstore), and Ferasans(Zstore). There are 5 races in KDF that are free.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    adrianm63 wrote: »
    but when you bought LTS you knew what you get.I dont think it said anywhere you will get romulans or liberated romulans.

that argument would be valid.... if Cryptic had planned on releasing the romulan faction at start. for all we know once may comes around a lot of those perks in the LTS/Vet reward list could be redone to include the word "romulan" in several spots.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Consider this: how many KDF races are "paywalled"? Lib Borg(LTS), Joined Trill(Zstore), and Ferasans(Zstore). There are 5 races in KDF that are free.

Indeed... They didn get any added to the C-Store/Free during Season 5 like the federation did, did they?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    edited March 2013
    And one for the Romulans, considering the Remans will cost marks/dilithium.

And I don't think Gold/Lifetime restricted species are in any way comparable to Zen Store Species, because, liek with the Remans, enough Dilithium grinding (plus a trip to the dilithium exchange) and voila! You have enough Zen to buy them. The other two cannot be gotten by FTP players *at all* because they require lifetime or gold. There's a bit of a difference between 'max out my dilithium for a few days, then convet to zen and buy' and 'buy lifetime or gold using dollars' Even the KDF do not have two species that are treated this way, just the liberated borg.
    anazonda wrote: »
    Indeed... They didn get any added to the C-Store/Free during Season 5 like the federation did, did they?

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but last time I checked, the *only* species for both fed and KDF that isn't either free or unlocked via the zen store is the Liberated Borg for both factions.
    edited March 2013
    Enh... traditionally, Gold perks do not expire when your subscrition does. So you could subscribe for one month and make an Alien then not continue the subscription.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited March 2013
    Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but last time I checked, the *only* species for both fed and KDF that isn't either free or unlocked via the zen store is the Liberated Borg for both factions.

Not sarcasm... The Tellarites, Regelian and ferengi used to be Cryptic Store Items before... Now they are freely obtainable it seems.
    Enh... traditionally, Gold perks do not expire when your subscrition does. So you could subscribe for one month and make an Alien then not continue the subscription.

If champs is a indication, Freeform (alien gen), will be locked out if you do not run your sub as active gold... They won't be deleted, but you can't access them either.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tenkari wrote: »
    that argument would be valid.... if Cryptic had planned on releasing the romulan faction at start. for all we know once may comes around a lot of those perks in the LTS/Vet reward list could be redone to include the word "romulan" in several spots.

the argument is valid .You got what you paid for .When LTS cryptic said " you will get liberated bord for kdf and fed side" nothing about romulans.You can use that so cryptic give you for what you paid.

Is like going to buy a car in 2013 and if the same model in 2015 has better stuffs you go and demand the newer model thou you already used your offer.

Even if they add the romulan liberated borgs now they have no reason to give them to those who already bought LTS (they will do that simply because they dont loose anything if they do that )
    edited March 2013
    Not sarcasm... The Tellarites, Regelian and ferengi used to be Cryptic Store Items before... Now they are freely obtainable it seems.

If champs is a indication, Freeform (alien gen), will be locked out if you do not run your sub as active gold... They won't be deleted, but you can't access them either.
    Yeah, but the champs analogy is probably flawed since we know that things such as account bank and extra chars still work in the current STO setup.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, but the champs analogy is probably flawed since we know that things such as account bank and extra chars still work in the current STO setup.

I agree fully... But then again: Alien (freeform) is unlocked for both Fed and KDF right now...

All I am saying is that Cryptic might be... silently adjusting their model.
    edited March 2013
    I agree fully... But then again: Alien (freeform) is unlocked for both Fed and KDF right now...

All I am saying is that Cryptic might be... silently adjusting their model.
    I am curious though.... IS It the same kind of char as the Feds and KDF get? I am curious why Stahl referred to it as a "Hybrid".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited March 2013
    I am curious though.... IS It the same kind of char as the Feds and KDF get? I am curious why Stahl referred to it as a "Hybrid".

Yea... I've been wondering a little about that myself... By definition, a hybrid is a crossbree, so you'd assume that there is a alien that forces some traits on you...

That again however dosent fit what I've seen on tribble, where you can loose all default traits and fully costumize them to your wishes.

It's really odd.
    edited March 2013
    Yea... I've been wondering a little about that myself... By definition, a hybrid is a crossbree, so you'd assume that there is a alien that forces some traits on you...

That again however dosent fit what I've seen on tribble, where you can loose all default traits and fully costumize them to your wishes.

It's really odd.
    yeah, I have seen the 'suliban'. Hybrid would seem to indicate soemthing along the liens of Saavik or Sela, but the screenshots indicate it may just be a revamp of the already existing 'alien' option for Feds and KDF. In either case, I do think it is a bit inexcusable, because for one, the alien option is currently free for Feds and KDF, and for another, we are already almost certainly going to have liberated borg for Romulans, so making a second inaccessable to FTP is a bad move, IMO.
    edited March 2013

It's really odd.
    It might be that "Hybrid" means that RR Aliens will always look part Romulan? I dunno, still speculating.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • koriel8koriel8 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Maybe we can have Liberated Borg Aliens :)
    edited March 2013
    koriel8 wrote: »
    Maybe we can have Liberated Borg Aliens :)

Oh don't we all wish for this....