What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance (March 28, 2013)

Comments

• Options
    sgtdosssgtdoss Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    People really need to stop whining about lag and stability problem.I never had any problem with this game(not talking about bug cuz there may be some)or any online game at all in 15 years of playing online games.Get a better connection or internet provider or even a better network card.And now about the time zone,just get used to it and is it gonna kill you to take a break of 2 hours...
  • Options
    oneofnine1oneofnine1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ya i have lil 2 no lag. when i do it is on myside
  • Options
    rvlion79rvlion79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sgtdoss wrote: »
    People really need to stop whining about lag and stability problem.I never had any problem with this game(not talking about bug cuz there may be some)or any online game at all in 15 years of playing online games.Get a better connection or internet provider or even a better network card.And now about the time zone,just get used to it and is it gonna kill you to take a break of 2 hours...
    Whenever I do PvP or on few occasions when I do PvE-queued STF's and such there most definitly is lag. Ships suddenly moving 2-5 km whenever the server catched up.
    It is actually quite annoying especially when flying a ship with Dual cannons, quite hard to keep the target within the 45 degree arc when everything keeps moving instantly or 3 times faster then normal.
  • Options
    bemlegabemlega Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    rvlion79 wrote: »
    Could you please get your facts straight BEFORE you post BS.
    If you count the entire American continent you would be correct in the total amount of potential gamers

<nitpick>If you count potential players in both Americas since they're in about hte same timezones you'd also have to count them in the whole EMEA block. Haven't summed pops up but i'd guess EMEA has more potential players than AMERICAS.</nitpick>

Update: Did some maths. In a nitpicky mood. 8-)

Pops:
    Europe 711 million [0]
    MEast 386 million [1]
    Africa 1,099 million [2]
    Total 2,196 million

North America 510 milloim [3]
    South America 402 million [4]
    Carribean 40 millioon [5]
    Total 952 million

[0]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Europe
    [1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Middle_East_countries_by_population
    [2]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African_countries_by_population
    [3]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_countries_by_population
    [4]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_South_American_countries_by_population
    [5]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Caribbean_island_countries_by_population
  • Options
    milestfoxmilestfox Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jihashimo wrote: »
    The moderators need to start locking these threads. They are meant to be for information in regards to server status, not for whoever can troll the most or sit there and whine about bugs and in game issues that have been around since PWE took over. Or even issues that existed long before then. If there's an issue, then please post it in the appropriate section of the forums, and leave these announcements alone. Noone likes sifting through page after page of trolling.

Bingo. That'd be the perfect solution. Lock it so that only Bran can post.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    noshuffle wrote: »
    Metthinks you need a pair of glasses, if you stick to this reasoning. Europe, population of 603 million at 2008, North America (USA, Canada, Mexico) a 444 million at 2008. Now realize that you are talking out of the back of your neck.

Please define "talking out of the back of your neck." I have no reference for it.

Nevermind, urbandictionary was able to answer it.

I agree. Discussion of this will have no meaningful outcome, as next maintenance the very same complaint will occur.
  • Options
    mazujiemazujie Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    milestfox wrote: »
    Look at a world map.

Look at the UK and Europe.

Now look at the USA.

Now look back at the UK and Europe.

Now realize that the USA is larger, more people, more gamers in general.

If they made a chinese-language version of this game, then the maintenances would be done during the times when the chinese were asleep, or at work, because they'd skew the player level numbers.

Well your both wrong, they work in the USA , thus USA time's, can't expect them to do this in the middle of the night, and if you cannot get pass 2 hours downtime you have bigger problems in your life.

stop complaining and grow up.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    mazujie wrote: »
    Well your both wrong, they work in the USA , thus USA time's, can't expect them to do this in the middle of the night, and if you cannot get pass 2 hours downtime you have bigger problems in your life.

stop complaining and grow up.

I am not the one complaining. I am the one explaining to the one complaining, that they need to stop complaining.
  • Options
    brwjames85brwjames85 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Your 3am-5am is my 10pm-midnight, prime play time.

Cryptic's looked at when the most people are on, when the least are.
    They do it during the time when globally, the least are on.

So... Please be patient and realize there are other players.

I guess it's you who don't realize that America isn't the center of the world, lots of eurpean players really hate downtime at that time. I'm Belgian, and the downtime is 15.00 - 17.00, so no playing when i get home from work before i have to get the kids...

so, to quote someone: Realize there are other players (sic)
    Finally, T6 Fleet sovy! My life is complete!
  • Options
    born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    2 hours out of 168 in a week - and still some people complain - crazy!
  • Options
    georgeorwingeorgeorwin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Found this site regarding population by timezone. Cryptic decides the time this is done, and it's most likely going to always be at the same time every week simply due to corporate inertia, but if you're actually interested in the total population (gaming or otherwise) per timezone: http://artscience.cyberclip.com/world-population-by-time-zone

I'm presuming that the gaming population in Haiti is probably lower than south florida, even though they may have the same total population.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    brwjames85 wrote: »
    I guess it's you who don't realize that America isn't the center of the world, lots of eurpean players really hate downtime at that time. I'm Belgian, and the downtime is 15.00 - 17.00, so no playing when i get home from work before i have to get the kids...

so, to quote someone: Realize there are other players (sic)

I do realize that America isn't the center of the world. That's a giant ball of molten iron (if current theories are correct). I do not understand why others would invest so much of themselves into this, that they need to 'hate' over it, to quote someone. If the downtime is when you get home from work, then either get home earlier, or play later. Hell, don't go get the kids at all, if the inability to play bothers you.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    2 hours out of 168 in a week - and still some people complain - crazy!

I know, right?
  • Options
    skquigeskquige Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i agree this is a pain to go over page after page to see whats going on pleas leave it to the staff and start a page or some thing but stay out of hear. it is nice to ask whats going on or haw long till its up but thats all that should be asked lets not wast time filling the pages with ...... thank you for this rant .
  • Options
    brwjames85brwjames85 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Look at a world map.

Now look at the USA.

If they made a chinese-language version of this game, then the maintenances would be done during the times when the chinese were asleep, or at work, because they'd skew the player level numbers.

I suggest, before you start spreading any stuff like this further, you fresh up on geography and demographics... currently north americe bout 450mil, europe bout 640... North america has more surface, that's it. so don't go treating us europeans as lower classed people. And if you look deeper into the numbers, I'll bet you'll find at least as much euro gamers as american.

Again, sort yr facts first befor eyou make statements
    Finally, T6 Fleet sovy! My life is complete!
  • Options
    michaelteiguemichaelteigue Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jihashimo wrote: »
    The moderators need to start locking these threads. They are meant to be for information in regards to server status, not for whoever can troll the most or sit there and whine about bugs and in game issues that have been around since PWE took over. Or even issues that existed long before then. If there's an issue, then please post it in the appropriate section of the forums, and leave these announcements alone. Noone likes sifting through page after page of trolling.

Yeah, good idea. Tell you what, why don't we petition to have every forum thread locked so only the Moderators can post? There is a locked thread already that defines what maintenance is taking place including, when available, patch notes. If you don't like forum threads then why not try this ingenious idea --- get off the damned forum?
    Disclaimer: This post is in no way intended to be a troll or flame or slur of any other kind towards anyone or anything either directly or indirectly involved in or with, or not involved in or with, Star Trek Online and I proffer my sincerest apologies to anyone who believes it is directed to the aforementioned.
  • Options
    captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    rvlion79 wrote: »
    Could you please get your facts straight BEFORE you post BS.
    Wikipedia page

If you count the entire American continent you would be correct in the total amount of potential gamers, BUT only 6 countries combined go WAY beyond the pop.count of the USA, imagine if you counted them all because that would probably go way beyond 400 mil.

Please think before you post nonsence. :cool:

I love how you compared apples to oranges there, USA to EUROPE, a country to a continent LOL. If you count all of europe, which would be wrong as it spans far to wide for this discussion and we counted the entire americas we still got u beat. as of 2010
    Americas (meaning North, central, south), population of 934,611,000 and Europe, population of 738,199,000.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    brwjames85 wrote: »
    I suggest, before you start spreading any stuff like this further, you fresh up on geography and demographics... currently north americe bout 450mil, europe bout 640... North america has more surface, that's it. so don't go treating us europeans as lower classed people. And if you look deeper into the numbers, I'll bet you'll find at least as much euro gamers as american.

Again, sort yr facts first befor eyou make statements

I am not treating anyone as any kind of class.
    I did not know that you were a telepath and were able to state how I feel about humanity.

Also, Interesting how the prior post to this one just invalidated your numbers.
    USA alone, not north america, 934mil, Europe 738mil.

I myself don't know the numbers nor care.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Look at a world map.

Now look at the USA.

I really hate it when stereotypes fit, but dear Americans, "American Idiot" isn't something the rest of the world just makes up to annoy you. q.e.d. up there...
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    bemlega wrote: »
    I really hate it when stereotypes fit, but dear Americans, "American Idiot" isn't something the rest of the world just makes up to annoy you. q.e.d. up there...

Yes. That would be excellent and fitting, _IF_ I were an american, which I am not.
    Please do not ASSUME, for when you do you make an TRIBBLE out of U and ME.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Yes. That would be excellent and fitting, _IF_ I were an american, which I am not.

*ugh* You're, aehm, right. It's just that your USA-centric point of view is quite uncommon for non USAsians.

May i ask for which country in the world i may cringe with shame?
  • Options
    georgeorwingeorgeorwin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You all fail compared to

by timezones:

UTC +8: China and others
    UTC+5.5: India and others
    UTC+1: Western Europe and a good chunk of Africa

The whole of the americas, combining all timezones doesn't even reach #5
  • Options
    singularitariansingularitarian Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Look at a world map.

Now look at the USA.

Europe has more than twice the population of the US.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    bemlega wrote: »
    *ugh* You're, aehm, right. It's just that your USA-centric point of view is quite uncommon for non USAsians.

May i ask for which country in the world i may to cringe with shame?

My viewpoint is not USA-centric. That is another assumption others have made.
    My viewpoint is that Cryptic has determined when is best for them to do the maintenance.
    My viewpoint is also that Cryptic has done their homework, (which, given the state of the game, may be significantly in error of course) and determined that _their player base_ is primarily in america, so as to choose this time for maintenance.
    My viewpoint is also that discussing this will not change anything, and next maintenance will bring the same whinging as this one.

I belong to no country at all, so there is no need for you to cringe.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I love how you compared apples to oranges there, USA to EUROPE, a country to a continent LOL. If you count all of europe, which would be wrong as it spans far to wide for this discussion and we counted the entire americas we still got u beat. as of 2010
    Americas (meaning North, central, south), population of 934,611,000 and Europe, population of 738,199,000.

actually it was a typo caused by my wireless keyboard, it was supposed to be Americas meaning north central and sounth. Numbers alone do not tell the story though because how many of those people actually play sto and that number is what we care about. Id suspect though if the EU players where in higher numbers the maintance would be suited to them more as it would be good business and thats what cryptic is here for, to make money. btw the only idiots are the ones who use stereotypes.
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Guys... I wish I were a fly on the wall at Cryptic's office. Just realized I'm pretty excited about upcoming stuff. That is all, for now. :)
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    insideyourmominsideyourmom Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    is the server up yet? i cannot log in
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    26 minutes at present till it is scheduled to start back up.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Europe has more than twice the population of the US.

would u stop comparing a country to a continent, thats comparing apples to oranges. In fact USA has about 5 times the population of the UK how about them apples. lol
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think this is gonna be a 'Two Bags of Popcorn' thread...

:rolleyes:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
This discussion has been closed.