test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulan faction...

startrek1234567startrek1234567 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
i was thinking that on march 20, or 21st(date that timer is to end on), may be the first episode of a new Romulan FE series, and like the Dominion FE series, more episodes will be added over time to the series.

I was thinking too that maybe in May would be the big conclusion of the series.

Also that maybe on that same day in May or the next day with the patch will come a Romulan faction as part as the big "celebration" or "conclusion".

Idk if this has been suggested or not, i just thought it up in bed after watching some TNG the other night.
Post edited by startrek1234567 on

Comments

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    A Romulan faction (of sorts) in May would be Cryptic's way of TRIBBLE to every KDF player in the game. But, I wouldn't be surprised, and if they did pull this kind of stunt for May, it would be one entertaining train wreck.

I'll have the popcorn ready! :P

(Not that I wouldn't want a Romulan faction in the future at some point. May is just too soon.)
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    OP - that would be my guess also

- perhaps they will not get it done by end of the series, but a week later.. but the announcement will/should come with the first episode of the new FE.

wishing and hoping .. 4 days to go
  • Options
    vactuskasunvactuskasun Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'd love to play a Rommie, but they really need to work on KDF first. Badly. However, I think you're idea of a FE starting a different Rommie series would be kinda awesome. Everything after the Cardy series sucked.
  • Options
    jaadorjaador Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    A Romulan faction (of sorts) in May would be Cryptic's way of TRIBBLE to every KDF player in the game.
    Actually, Cryptic's way of flipping he bird to every KDF player is their entire handling of the KDF.

Given their track record, this will mostly likely just Cryptic's way of TRIBBLE to an entirely new faction of RSE players. And then us on the red team will finally have someone else to share our pain/blow up for glory and honor.
  • Options
    voxinvictusvoxinvictus Member Posts: 261
    edited March 2013
    A Romulan faction (of sorts) in May would be Cryptic's way of TRIBBLE to every KDF player in the game. But, I wouldn't be surprised, and if they did pull this kind of stunt for May, it would be one entertaining train wreck.

(Not that I wouldn't want a Romulan faction in the future at some point. May is just too soon.)

Just started playing a kdf character the other day and don't see the supposed issue with the faction. I actually prefer starting out straight at commander. Are the first 20 levels really so much fun on fed side?

It seems like the whining from kdf is mostly just reflexively at this point.

Maybe if so many people didn't cry about kdf more people would try them and like them and thered be more support.
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i have to say that i think it could be a very long extended feature episode series. And what I mean is that its more then 5 episodes long, but same quality that we've had with all the rest. Then ontop of that "may update/season" we will get a bunch of improvements/new reps/new fleet holdings/ect.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just started playing a kdf character the other day and don't see the supposed issue with the faction. I actually prefer starting out straight at commander. Are the first 20 levels really so much fun on fed side?

Maybe if so many people didn't cry about kdf more people would try them and like them and thered be more support.

Just started a character the other day.. well sorry to be abit forward with this reply but you havent been on the front lines since launch with the faction or experienced every low point the kdf has had to indure... so sorry to say your view is abit off on the kdf faction.

I will also state it has had some improvements since launch, new ships, new homeworld update, not to mention starbase also. But it still lacks.

Any other MMO games ive been part of has always been fair with content releases or new items been given out that if one faction would get something say.. new race to play, new mount or something, the other faction would get the same treatment. STO's been the one game so far that I see one faction get all the goodies for the most part. Thats my view for what ever its worth :P
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It wont be a FE series before may.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just started a character the other day.. well sorry to be abit forward with this reply but you havent been on the front lines since launch with the faction or experienced every low point the kdf has had to indure... so sorry to say your view is abit off on the kdf faction.

I will also state it has had some improvements since launch, new ships, new homeworld update, not to mention starbase also. But it still lacks.

Any other MMO games ive been part of has always been fair with content releases or new items been given out that if one faction would get something say.. new race to play, new mount or something, the other faction would get the same treatment. STO's been the one game so far that I see one faction get all the goodies for the most part. Thats my view for what ever its worth :P
    Remember the KDF was supposed to be a "monster play" faction, and thus with less content, ships and goodies. Just like the orc side in LOTRO. They did a HUGE work to make it a full fledged faction in the game. I also would want the first lvl, but honestly ? The first 20lvl of feds are dull. Most missions involve destroying some ship above a station, beam in, kill everything, hold 1minute near a console, beam out. And they are not related to any storyline.

I think the KDF are so used to whine they simply can't stop until it's perfect, and it will never be.

I also made a kdf recently, and some things are lacking/buggy, but overall it's a good faction, sorry to say that. Many KDF only missions are, by far, better than most fed only mission. "Alpha" I'm looking at you. While still enjoying the good fed mission, like the FE.

Also, they don't make money when releasing stuff for the KDF. What do you suggest ? Cryptic loosing money so you are happy with your new toys, until the servers are shutdown ? It's a business. They don't work for free, they need money to run.

Finally, remember the tv shows are always about feds. I don't remember a klingon captain to boldly go where no klingon has gone before. However, I remember Janeway, Kirk, Picard, Archer,...

I see some ridiculous whine from the KDF. For example :
    -the cloack is disabled when a ou are hailed. So what ? Big deal ? What's the fuss ? You can still cloak 99% of the time, and gank almost any NPC/PC in the game, except a dozen of them in FE.
    -KDF is loosing some unique feature. IE carrier, cloak... On the other hand, they complain for every "unique feature" the fed can have. So far, true sci ship is the only "unique feature" I can think about the fed have over the KDF. And now the Kumari. The KDF have the battlecloak, the raiders ships, the Vo'quv/Kar'fi (a carrier able to launch frigate sized pet). Sounds fair to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    Remember the KDF was supposed to be a "monster play" faction, and thus with less content, ships and goodies. Just like the orc side in LOTRO. They did a HUGE work to make it a full fledged faction in the game. I also would want the first lvl, but honestly ? The first 20lvl of feds are dull. Most missions involve destroying some ship above a station, beam in, kill everything, hold 1minute near a console, beam out. And they are not related to any storyline.

I think the KDF are so used to whine they simply can't stop until it's perfect, and it will never be.

I also made a kdf recently, and some things are lacking/buggy, but overall it's a good faction, sorry to say that. Many KDF only missions are, by far, better than most fed only mission. "Alpha" I'm looking at you. While still enjoying the good fed mission, like the FE.

Also, they don't make money when releasing stuff for the KDF. What do you suggest ? Cryptic loosing money so you are happy with your new toys, until the servers are shutdown ? It's a business. They don't work for free, they need money to run.

Finally, remember the tv shows are always about feds. I don't remember a klingon captain to boldly go where no klingon has gone before. However, I remember Janeway, Kirk, Picard, Archer,...

-the cloack is disabled when a ou are hailed. So what ? Big deal ? What's the fuss ? You can still cloak 99% of the time, and gank almost any NPC/PC in the game, except a dozen of them in FE.
    -KDF is loosing some unique feature. IE carrier, cloak... On the other hand, they complain for every "unique feature" the fed can have. So far, true sci ship is the only "unique feature" I can think about the fed have over the KDF. And now the Kumari. The KDF have the battlecloak, the raiders ships, the Vo'quv/Kar'fi (a carrier able to launch frigate sized pet). Sounds fair to me.

If you going to give out information, at least make sure it's correct and don't spin it so as to make it out that the KDFers should be thankful for what they got.

STO was touted as having 2 full factions 1 Fed and 1 Klingon.

Near release, they realised they couldn't do 2 full factions and said that klingons were going to be a PVP faction. Due to complaints (rightly so), they then added more.

If you want to know the full story and not the spin version, see PF history of the KDF.
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Yeah, it's the players' fault that the KDF was a monster-play only faction at launch and dozens of fleets disbanded as a result.
    It was the players' fault that any player is forced to make a Federation character to even be permitted to play KDF.
    It was the players' that the level barrier to make a new character was increased from level 6 to 20.
    And whenever someone gets struck by lightning outside that person very likely cause that lightning in the first place...right.:rolleyes:

Oh BTW, even the offical stance from Cryptic employees is that a well done character creation system and a good tutorial at starting at level 1 is what keeps people playing.
    Listen to the recent Podcast UGC interview with Geko.
    He says a much.
    Just because you don't see a problem does not mean it does not exist.
    Geko goes on to explain that they have a "spike" of people leaving early in the game and at the end of the game.
    At the beginning that spike can be reduced by pulling people in with said charcter creation and tutorial and at the end with replayability.
    Guess what's missing on the KDF side.
    Character creation and a tutorial at level 1, exactly what they say a faction needs to be interesting.
    You don't need that? Good for you. I mean it.
    But just because you don't need it does not mean other players don't or that this would not help the faction overall.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    We do know there is KDF struff coming in May...we do know there is something Romulan related coming in May, they also talked about a lot of new ships..... MAYbe they pull it off, all of it.... or this forum will go down in flames yet again. :D
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,109 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If stuff is coming out I think it'll be a new FE's
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited March 2013

couldn'T agree more with this part

are you f*ing kidding me??? i can'T even take loot in an STF with my B'rel without being decloaked and blowed (24k hull, no shields), also in Tau Dewa patrol, the mission with the 5 waves of ships - you think it is FUN to hit evasives every time a new wave is about to come - CAUSE OF ONE FREAKY DIALOGUE?

this pattern repeating all over the whole PVE.

i will better not speak about PVP.

THIS BUG IS THE MOST ANNOYING BUG in this great game!!!

no problem with this one, but yeah, FED having carriers is not exactly canon
  • Options
    lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    3 years and some klinks are still incredibly whiny and self-entitled while calling Feds whiny because hey, hypocrisy is fun.

Do you know how dull levelling up a Fed is? The Klinks get few missions, but a lot of CXP for each of them.
    I'd rather do the Fehk'liri arc and shoot up to Captain than do tedious patrols x20 to get the same amount of progress.

I'm not sure what klink players expect for a "full faction" today. Both sides have the same endgame. What, you want more story? How much story can you make from a bunch of drunk buffoons who go on about honor and Qapla and dying in glorious battle and making you wonder how these idiots ever discovered fire without throwing themselves into the flames for daring to challenge them let alone formed a space empire.
    duaths1 wrote: »

Hey you go ahead and name one canon Klingon carrier.
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

You could use that argument against all leveling content and start the Romulan faction at level 50. Then they won't need any missions since the group content is already there.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Oh boy, the ignorance on these forums......:(...*facepalm*

I hope you realize that you just agreed with complete nonsence.
    lizwei wrote: »
    3 years and some klinks are still incredibly whiny and self-entitled while calling Feds whiny because hey, hypocrisy is fun.

Do you know how dull levelling up a Fed is? The Klinks get few missions, but a lot of CXP for each of them.
    I'd rather do the Fehk'liri arc and shoot up to Captain than do tedious patrols x20 to get the same amount of progress.

I'm not sure what klink players expect for a "full faction" today. Both sides have the same endgame. What, you want more story? How much story can you make from a bunch of drunk buffoons who go on about honor and Qapla and dying in glorious battle and making you wonder how these idiots ever discovered fire without throwing themselves into the flames for daring to challenge them let alone formed a space empire.

:eek: Like I already said, the ignorance on these forums never ceases to amaze me.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    solomace wrote: »
    If you going to give out information, at least make sure it's correct and don't spin it so as to make it out that the KDFers should be thankful for what they got.

STO was touted as having 2 full factions 1 Fed and 1 Klingon.

Near release, they realised they couldn't do 2 full factions and said that klingons were going to be a PVP faction. Due to complaints (rightly so), they then added more.

If you want to know the full story and not the spin version, see PF history of the KDF.
    I didn't say they should be thanful for what they have. I just said they should whine less, because the KDF situation have more than improved in the past years, which mean cryptic care. And the KDF faction is close to be finished IMO.

And yeah, I played during beta, I played KDF with federation marks, and feds running all over the ship.

I also think the KDF are so used to fight for every piece of content they simply don't know when to stop. Some claim are legitimate, some are not faction related (feds also have bugs), and some are unrealistic.

are you f*ing kidding me??? i can'T even take loot in an STF with my B'rel without being decloaked and blowed (24k hull, no shields), also in Tau Dewa patrol, the mission with the 5 waves of ships - you think it is FUN to hit evasives every time a new wave is about to come - CAUSE OF ONE FREAKY DIALOGUE?

this pattern repeating all over the whole PVE.

i will better not speak about PVP.

THIS BUG IS THE MOST ANNOYING BUG in this great game!!!
    For the STF I wouldn't mind to see them revamped, so we don't have a pop up every ship we blow. No matter if I'm fed of KDF, it's annoying.

For the matter at hand, I understand your frustration, however it's "just" a bug. Not a proof cryptic doesn't care about KDF. Some people tend to use this as a symbol.
    I don't know, it could be an evolution in fed tactics. They already had shuttles in every ships, they just learnt you can launch them during a fight.
    I find the various player used alien ships, or the complete lack of exploration in FE more lorebreaker^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013

For the STF I wouldn't mind to see them revamped, so we don't have a pop up every ship we blow. No matter if I'm fed of KDF, it's annoying.

For the matter at hand, I understand your frustration, however it's "just" a bug. Not a proof cryptic doesn't care about KDF. Some people tend to use this as a symbol.

this should be a thread about Romulan faction. if it comes, i will be a VERY HAPPY CAMPER and the first one to buy the LTS and to throw some amount of cash to buy EVERYTHING there will be to buy in green ..

in the meantime i do main KDF. and in fact i agreed with you, KDF has better faction-specific missions, there is a certain lack of sci ships, but as sci is rendered nearly useless (my mains are sci) and there are the BOP's, it is not a big issue.

lvling a FED is boring. fact.

imho what would help is - every faction starts at lvl1, and can play ALL THE EXISTING PVE content there is, with different dialogues. i think this process is already in preparation.

to the decloaking bug - it is not only a "bug". it is a bug which wasn't there at launch, but came later and was adressed THOUSANDS of times. Cryptic is also selling a B'Rel - ship with advanced battle cloak costing 2500 Zen, with the fleet version opened at T5, practically without shields and hull, which is dependent on it's cloak.

Also, every time i'm in an STF with another 4 people, i will NOT take my loot, cause of the bug, so the group looses 1/5 of loot. Imagine having 4 or 5 B'rel's in an STF.. ?

I do not say this is a KDF specific bug, but as the situation stands, it affects more the KDF.
    Then, Romulans are also known for developing and using cloaks.. i would strongly advice them to fix this.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

"IF" you do get the Rom faction you're so desperate for, I guarantee you that within a year, you will be on the other side, "whining" and "complaining" just like the KDF, when you get very little updates and your just another "monster" play faction.

Right now all the Rommies fans are excited at the prospect of getting their faction, however, I am sure that will wear off soon, especially when Cryptic revert to type and go back to Lockboxes and chuck you a bone every so often.

Has the below changed?

1. Cryptic keep on telling us, this game is a Fed game.
    2. Fans keeping on telling us this is a Fed game.
    3. People tell us all the time, "Star Trek movies and the TV programs, were about the Feds".
    4. Cryptic don't do multi factions well.

I laugh when I read Rommie fans like you berating KDF fans calling them whiners.

Payback is a ....
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    How much story can you make from a bunch of drunk buffoons who go on about honor and Qapla and dying in glorious battle and making you wonder how these idiots ever discovered fire without throwing themselves into the flames for daring to challenge them let alone formed a space empire.

Ahhhh... Xenophobia in a computer game.

And people say Trekkers are a fun loving community;)

Personally, I think the Klingons have a rich culture that was touched on sometimes in TNG and DS9.

But hey, your right. Let's not have any other factions than the peace loving Feds. Isn't this what STO is about? Diplomancy not Pew Pew...
  • Options
    thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Personally, I think the Klingons have a rich culture that was touched on sometimes in TNG and DS9.

But hey, your right. Let's not have any other factions than the peace loving Feds. Isn't this what STO is about? Diplomancy not Pew Pew...

Klingons aren't exactly immune to xenophobia themselves, in fact it's one of the keystones of their culture to be racists. It may be a rich culture but at it's heart is the fundamentally racist belief that Klingons are superior to all others.

Even worse Klingons turned on their own people when many of them contracted the genetic virus mutation from the augments that recessed their cranial ridges.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    startrek1234567startrek1234567 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Guys can we stay on topic, i did not start this thread for people to whine about the Klingon faction.

I wanted to hear your opinions about my idea of what could be happening in 3 or 4 days.

But within the first 3 post i get something about the Klingon faction.

Can we please stay on topic, i was hoping for a good discussion over my original post.
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    </derail>

So, the green faction... not blue, not red.... GREEN
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Klingons aren't exactly immune to xenophobia themselves, in fact it's one of the keystones of their culture to be racists. It may be a rich culture but at it's heart is the fundamentally racist belief that Klingons are superior to all others.

Even worse Klingons turned on their own people when many of them contracted the genetic virus mutation from the augments that recessed their cranial ridges.

Touche...;)
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited March 2013

And you don't get the difference between the xenophobia of a real person posting in the forums and the supposed xenophobia of a fictional race...?:eek:

Also the only sign of a supriority complex comes from the so-called warrios.
    And is just as much directed at other Klingons they don't consider to be "strong".
    They also respect those who have proven themselves in combat irrespective of species.

So it's neither xenophobia nor racism.
    It's just the superiority or "I am a true man because I'm a soldier and you're a wimp because you're not" BS I've encountered with RL human soldiers more than once.

Oh and BTW, we saw how much they turned on the people modfied by the virus when General K'Vagh told them their heart was still Klingon and that he won't abandon them.
    In other terms...not in the slightest.;)
  • Options
    lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Xenophobia? I'm merely critical of how Flanderized the Klingons have become.

I'll have you know General Chang is one of my favourite Trek characters ever.
    He was a warrior, proud, set in his ways. But he was also cultured. Mannered when he had to be.

Then we have late TNG/DS9 Klingons, eating raw meat, behaving like barbarians, stomping around acting like space vikings, crying about straw deaths, knifing their allies in the back because they behave like belligerent, untrained animals.
    So yes, I really do wonder how these cave men ever got out into space, or how they ever spawned the likes of Chang or Gorkon.

By all means, let's have more non-Fed factions.
    I would welcome a Romulan faction, mainly because they have some dignity and aren't an embarrassment to themselves and others.
  • Options
    xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would welcome a playable Romulan faction if that's what the developes have in mind. And not just because I helped found the first guild dedicated to Romulans (XTERNITY, see for more details: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=584251), but because it would give more options to players and surely introduce new storyline and possibly expansion of current ones. Expanding for play variety is good for the player, and thereby good for the developer if it's feasible to expand in the first place.

With every new update or expnsion there is bound to be unforeseen challenges, bugs, consequences... knowing that, we don't have to be uncouth, but notify devs as possible and remain patient, for any major issues is sure to be addressed eventually. Tip in an MMO, if you can do without it, don't think too much about it.

I can't wait to get the time to build foundry, because that is where the game's real muscle lies: ability to build custom missions and put forth put forth great storylines.
  • Options
    kyias1kyias1 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Then flip the KDF the bird I say.

They are flying the ships from their favorite empire in the universe. I have been wanting Romulans for a long time.

There something is much better than my nothing.
  • Options
    mousernovmousernov Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    One could also say they would be flipping the Romulan fans the bird if it isnt a Romulan faction.

I started my Klingon the month STO launched, grinding space battles and pvp's like crazy. I hated it after a while but was determined to reach max level. Glad i did, love my Klingon and hope Cryptic will continue to flesh them out as well as add more "trek" missions for Feds.

STO is growing (the game, i have no idea of the player numbers), some really nice zones, a widening end game, episodes, the foundry, i could go on and on. I urge any sci fi fan to hop in and give it a go, its a fun game if a bit buggy at times.

I truly feel its past time for a Romulan faction, they are an essential part of Trek lore and their absence is noticeable. I beleive with the proper moves it will be profitable enough to expand the staff and improve all areas of the game.

This is of course my opinion im throwing in the ring and realize many disagree, regardless, in the end Cryptic will d what they think is best for the long term interset of this game (Our enjoyment and perhaps their employ hinges on that).