test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Gateway: Feedback and Discussion

Comments

• alexsanderitaalexsanderita Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have to do my congratulations to the development team for the work they're doing with the Gateway.
    It's just starting to take form but we all can see its potential. ;)
    What's my feedback? Here's what I would like to do with it: Everything but 3D.

STO Gateway should became THE App to do anything that doesn't require the 3D environment, like its description states.
    I mean any action that we can now perform ingame via UI should be ported to the Gateway.

Mail, Bank, Exchange, Trade and Tailor services, Doff, Rep & Fleet systems, chat, Journal etc...

and if possible even the istant-travel option currently available ingame (beam up and transwarp) to plan the starting point of your next full game session.

This last one may seem OT or OP at first, but it's very important to do your errands, like but not limited to, the doff system (see later)
    and it will obviously be restricted to the actual valid destinations you have depending from the place you were at your last log in.

So if you're at ESD when you log off when you log into Gateway you'll only have the options to go to Academy, Ship and Sirius Sector Block (only this one)

Also, any valid Transwarp destination you have with any of your ship is in range, with the same time out we have ingame ofc.

Bridge and Fleet Starbase system should be always available because they are respectively the interior of your ship
    and a transwarp destination which connects everywhere.

These last two are istant maps, but if you choose them in the gateway you can only access their features within the gateway UI
    and your ingame position will not change (simulating traveling back to do your errands)

It's annoying I always have to log in the last place I was, like ESD, just to load another loading screen to beam to say Academy even if I know it was my objective prior to log in.

This will solve this problem, just like the issue with the doff assignments available in Gateway (you said you'll put them) which depend on location.

As kempeth said:
    kempeth wrote: »
    For the DOff suggestions I see two problems: being limited to just the region you logged off in, and where to put rewards if your inventory is full.

It would be nice if the gateway could provide access to the assignments in all the accessible locations but I am aware that this would need to be protected against misuse. If it's too powerful/convenient it would compete with the actual game. Obviously as a first step it would already be very cool and useful to just have access to the current location, ship and department assignments. Later there could perhaps be an option to change the current location but that would block the gateway DOff interface for an appropriate amount of time to simulate travel.

As for the full inventory issue there could be an overflow area to hold things until the player logs in again. Naturally the overflow would be "take only" as to prevent misuse as additional storage

My solution is more safe imo because it limits the traveling to the instant kind ones,
    preventing misuse such as jumping across all map faster than you could ingame,
    but still encouraging players to acquire the ships with these features.

All with a nice LCARS interface that really simulates your captain activity while "at desk",
    keeping you costantly "in touch" in the little breaks of the day doing your virtual errands

so that you can enjoy the action the 3D client provides with say a foundry mission, zone etc
    when you have an hour you can dedicate to the game without bothering to say, reading other mails.

I think you devs got the point, I apologize for the lenght of the post, but it's full of nice suggestions and worth a read imo.
    I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told
  • primencc74656primencc74656 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    is the gateway active still? 've tried several times to log in, and I continue to get the "login failed, probably because the one-time code was incorrect" error.

any help?
  • crypticpozcrypticpoz Cryptic Developers Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    is the gateway active still? 've tried several times to log in, and I continue to get the "login failed, probably because the one-time code was incorrect" error.

I was able to log in and use it just now. Did you perhaps try during the maintenance period this morning?
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I disagree to allow DOff assignment allocation through the Gateway - you would never have to play the game if it were allowed. Actually, you'd have to play to get the level needed to start DOffing, after that you would never have to log on the game.

Ultimately, it would defeat the purpose of the game.
  • franc275franc275 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I keep getting a time out error I log in

Loading your command console please wait

One Time activation code (for like the 10th time)

Loading your command console please wait

wait a good minute or 2

You have Encountered an Error
    (Invisible until I copied and pasted - An Error OccurredAn error occurred. If problems persist, you may need to clear your browser cache and refresh the page.

Character DeletedThe character you are trying to view has been deleted.

Character OfflineThe character is offline because the owner has not logged in recently. When the owner of this character logs in it will bring this character back online.

Character Not FoundThe character you are trying to view was not found.

Fleet Not FoundThe fleet you are trying to view was not found.

Page Not FoundSorry, the page you are trying to reach could not be found.

Loading timeout )

The resource you requested wasn't received in a reasonable time. You can refresh the page and try again.

I try to refresh and get same thing.
  • phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I disagree to allow DOff assignment allocation through the Gateway - you would never have to play the game if it were allowed. Actually, you'd have to play to get the level needed to start DOffing, after that you would never have to log on the game.

Ultimately, it would defeat the purpose of the game.

Um...wasn't the original *concept* for STO Gateway about a way to doff while not in the game? They merely expanded it to allow other features (but not yet remote doffing).

Since the game is more than doffing, I think it'd be a safe (and much wanted) feature.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You have Encountered an Error
    Page Not Found

Sorry, the page you are trying to reach could not be found.
    Click here to go to Character Select

Reciving that message after I log in. Using Firefox 19.0.2.

Also, any reason why fleet pages don't display the fleets logo but instead a generic emblem?
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Today's patch notes say that we're supposed to be able to access fleet projects from Gateway now, but I'm not seeing anything new.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • saudaggelsaudaggel Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    very nice addition to the gateway, for the projects that are running you should add the timer and images for the projects like in game, but i really like the direction the gateway is going to :) good job here!

another thing i would like is some API to get information on the fleet. we use the leaderboard and the number of provisions to calculate what people can get. always copying the data is not that nice for that ;)

another thing: can you change the language of the gatway? it's german for me (the few parts that are translated) but i would like to use it in english because i also play the game in english... and if it's not possible at the moment to select language, pls add the possibility :)
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Um...wasn't the original *concept* for STO Gateway about a way to doff while not in the game? They merely expanded it to allow other features (but not yet remote doffing).

Since the game is more than doffing, I think it'd be a safe (and much wanted) feature.

I am not sure of the original concept and I'm sure it's a wanted feature.

The way I see it (and please correct me) at level 50, there is not much to do remotely other than DOffing or SB/Embassy contributing.

But at earlier levels, seriously, DOffing via the Gateway will remove the "necessity" to log onto the game itself ... unless they remove skill and experience points from DOff rewards.

And if that idea rankles feathers, then it makes sense to me that DOffing through Gateway is a bad idea.
  • dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but times shown in fleet calendars in the Gateway should default to player's timezones. Right now events are showing on the wrong day for me since the times in the Gateway are all showing GMT.
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So the fleet stuff is cool - I just contributed Fleet Marks and Dilithium from work! Neato!

The "Return to Main Screen" should be "Return to Fleet Home" or something, since it says "Return to Main Screen" both to get back to the fleet main page, and then the same thing on that page to return to your character page.

Edit: I like that you can type in the amount of Dilithium you want to contribute, but the interface doesn't seem to update its totals very well after you do so. Hitting accept works just fine, but the amount of credit you earn shows whatever you brought the slider to or zero, and doesn't pull from the typed in value.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Is the contributing to fleet holdings on the live server or just the test sever? Because I can't seem anything for holdings on the live server
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Maybe this has already been mentioned, but I'd really like to see a chat client in the gateway. I use pidgin to connect with some of the chat channels, but it's a hassle. It would be nice if I could chat with fleet mates or on specific channels via the gateway.
    edited March 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    Is the contributing to fleet holdings on the live server or just the test sever? Because I can't seem anything for holdings on the live server

I was able to donate on the live gateway version.
    edited March 2013
    felderburg wrote: »
    I was able to donate on the live gateway version.

where did you see the option to do so in the live gateway version?
    edited March 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    where did you see the option to do so in the live gateway version?

After you choose a character, there's a "Fleet" button on the right, where "Personnel Files" etc. are. Click it, it'll take you to the fleet page, and you can choose holdings there. After you choose a holding, it's just like the ingame screen, basically, except you can type in a precise amount of dilithium to contribute! Although the screen acts oddly with that usage so I don't think it's intended, but it is a nice feature.
    edited March 2013
    Fascinating because that page isn't there on my iPhone. There is no such "holding" page
  • stureckstureck Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Used the gateway for the forst time tonight on my droid , which is pretty ancient. I would admit that i need an upgrade as its old. Anyway the site works well, but i would second another posters suggestion that a fixed menu bar would ease navigation, nice isr of an lcar theme might fit. I personally would love to see duty officer assignments controlled from here. Another neat idea, as its in my pocket and on my phone, i wish there was a way to have a pocket holi-Leeta, dabo on my phone ljnked to sto account would be awesom:De.
  • taya4svktaya4svk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Mine is the same.. In FLEET I got only Roster, Events, Logs and Info..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    Oh and I am being asked for the one time code again
  • varzecvarzec Member Posts: 129 Media Corps
    edited March 2013
    I have noticed that the image for the starbase is not correct for my fleet the Trust. Were at Tier 3 Starbase, but the image shows the tier 4 starbase.
    original.jpg?1521423860
  • dorusnonndorusnonn Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Cant even load the page tbh, I get always a white background with the text: Welcome to nginx!

Win7, FF 19.0.2 .. fully updated everything, etc. Tried a few tricks, erasing cache and temp files .. nothing helped. I wonder if I am alone with this?
    Being here since 2011 Spring
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I know this will be a long shot but

i was wondering if possible to be allowed to create a
    sto tracker signature generator out of the sto gateway
    for one of my characters through the sto gateway.

for example: battlefield tracker
    http://battletracker.com/playersig/bf2/*/custombanner-5496.png

but in this case the signature will show current ship, top accolades, faction, Rank, and fleet, PVP kill count, win/loss ratio..

or give people the option of what they want to show on there signature.

just a thought.
  • derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    fleet leaders should be able to promote demote add projects etc.. just as if you were in fleet portal . otherwise not bad . on two of my toons i still see tribble ship not the holideck ship
  • tahnalostahnalos Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm sure this has been said before but please bring the DOff system into the gateway. I know that DOff assignments are limited to location so we would have to rely on personal and departmental assignments to fill out our DOff roster. Of course we are also aware that this will only work if we have enough inventory as well.

That being said, if possible if we could have an inventory manager to move to bank, and not necessarily account or fleet bank.
    Fleet Affiliations:
    FED: Royal Federation Mounted Starfleet: SB3, TAC3, ENG3, SCI3, Win, Int, DOff(T/E/S/B)
    KDF: Parliamentary Klingon Empire: SB2, TAC2, ENG2, SCI2, Win, DOff(T)

Interested in joining? Please send a PM to @Tahna_Los.
  • andre746561andre746561 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    crypticpoz wrote: »
    Fleet information is considerably restricted for non-members. We left in the basics that would help in recruiting.

Non-members can see: fleet name, creation date, MotD, description, website, member count, minimum rank, recruiting message, and those in the roster that are allowed to invite new members. They can't see rank and file members of the fleet, fleet events, calendar, or activity logs.

Do you think we should also restrict the MotD (message of the day) and general description? Or maybe just the MotD?

Yes give the fleet admirals the optional to restrict MotD & Fleet information from non fleet members please. Default option should always be restricted. Thanks
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Everything works fine now on Firefox and IpodTouch, with a small problem:

The picture of my Captain isn't showing. Just the placeholder.

And I don't know if it is a problem but:

When I take a look at my Boffs via Firefox, only pages full with 4 Boffs appear.
    Let's say I have 22 Boffs, the first 20 appear because there are 5 pages with 4 Boffs, but the last 2 don't show up.

But it works on the IPodTouch, where I scroll down the list.
  • simonpgrubersimonpgruber Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I can log into the gateway on my android with no problem. but IE9 I put in login information and hit logon and nothing happens. no messages. no movement. nothing just like I never hit the button and I have done everything but hit it with an aluminum bat:mad:
    edited April 2013
    I still can't see fleet holdings after all this time.
    iPhone and ipad.
This discussion has been closed.