test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Looking for a teacher

Comments

• cmdrparthoscmdrparthos Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The best advice I can give right now..is keep building, tweaking, testing, building, tweaking, testing. Find your play style, work it over, run it thru the grist mill, see how it ends up. Focus on working your personal survivial until you are comfortable with it, then start to change things up to bring up your damage/kill output.

And make friends :) That is the best part of pvping really. Going into the fray with friends at your side. Cu who else is going to laugh when your team is all repsawning :)
    The Parthos And Bunny Show
    Imperial House Of Pancakes
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    adamkafei wrote: »
    With all due respect to you all... I don't care who is the best or the worst, everyone looking at this thread is either a current or potential pvper and evryone who has posted is better than I.

Much like the cruiser crowd, nothing will be achieved by arguing amongst ourselves and it wont get newbs PvPing.

I'm here to learn regardless of the teacher(s) as is anyone else who asks for help, none of us care if Pandas are better than TRIBBLE... or TSI better than whomever or who gets the most members or whatever, we care about the PvP and the learning how to PvP well...

Think we can focus on that?

Well...to an extent, there's going to be the bickering about who knows what they're doing when it comes to Sci. Admittedly, the poaching thing is kind of out of left field...and...the arguing about who does Sci better could be settled in the space of battle, etc, etc, etc...eh?

Personally, I've been thinking about getting back into Sci again. I dance back and forth between Eng and Sci, Sci and Eng, Eng and Sci... I'm not fond of Tac - so they're usually just there as Token Tacs.

I'm not really the type to ask for help in things - I'm more likely to post some completely bogus thing, knowing that folks will point out what's wrong with it while saying what should be done. Passive aggressive much? Mebbe... :)

It would be somewhat nifty, imho, were there a stickied thread for Sci in PvP - after all, don't Giggles and Geko think folks wanting to play Sci are...special? Should be a special thread for it. Something that went beyond just what to slap in the skill build and on the ship. Efficient rotations, and, well - to an extent - something akin to what might be offered from some of the Boot Camp lessons, eh? Though, like - a train at home sort of thing for the shy. :P
  • hydrodurahydrodura Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hurleybird wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I don't think that's good advice anymore. For feds, any fleet outside of Sad Pandas, Inner Circle, TSI, or Turkish RP Heroes isn't likely to teach good habits. Orion Slave Girls' PvP section is arguably the only decent Klingon team. Go outside of those fleets, and it's the blind leading the blind. However, on the fed side at least, none of the those fleets are likely to recruit newbies (Pandas is a possible exception, as we tend to recruit more on maximum potential than current ability). It's a tough spot to be in.

My advice is to forget about finding a fleet that does PvP and will accept you, because the ones that will probably aren't competent. Instead, seek out the best players and train with them. While none of the federation fleets I mentioned are likely to accept you as a fresh recruit, they will certainly help you if you ask for it. Train with them and they'll make you a far better player than you'd be if you joined a fail fleet.

Kai has already offered help, and it would be wise to at least hear him out. I can also tutor you if you want, and maybe even get you in on a few premade teams with the Pandas. There's nothing better than a fresh slate who's willing to learn!

Not entirely true. Pandas will devote mad effort to training any player that has the right attitude to learn, but we won't waste much time on people who are incapable of attaining high level play. This means you need to be open minded, slow to anger, moderately intelligent, and at least moderately competitive. If you meet those criteria, we can work with you. After all, the more great players we have playing STO the better PvP becomes for all of us.

i come to the conclusion as long as hurlybird and the fleet he mention Sad Pandas, Inner Circle, TSI, or Turkish RP Heroe Orion Slave Girls' if they have his mentality PvP community is doom. I say some of the them are great players. PVP community needs better fleets to lead one that dont have elites mentality . Let not forget some in these group are responsible for CRYPTIC pulling out of the Biggest pvp tournament in history.
  • naz4naz4 Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Adam, send me a tell in game and i'll help you one to one from whatever level you want to start at. Done this with many people in the past and i guess thats what you want. I am euro timezone.

Handle is @naz1911
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    naz4 wrote: »
    Adam, send me a tell in game and i'll help you one to one from whatever level you want to start at. Done this with many people in the past and i guess thats what you want. I am euro timezone.

Handle is @naz1911

Awesome, thanks, I know I have some time free tomorrow (I would tonight but I'm attending boot camp, should be fun)
    ZiOfChe.png?1
    edited March 2013
    Awesome, thanks, I know I have some time free tomorrow (I would tonight but I'm attending boot camp, should be fun)

Gonna go hospital that day, so day after? 6pm UK time onwards i'm on for a while everyday usually.
  • hurleybirdhurleybird Member Posts: 909
    edited March 2013
    hydrodura wrote: »
    i come to the conclusion as long as hurlybird and the fleet he mention Sad Pandas, Inner Circle, TSI, or Turkish RP Heroe Orion Slave Girls' if they have his mentality PvP community is doom.

You mistake elitism for cold, hard reality. I'm not saying these things to be mean, or put people down. I'm saying it because it's the truth, despite the fact that it's the truth that nobody wants to hear. It's time that we put mediocrity in the limelight and fixed it. That's why I've created the Jorf Guide, not to rub it in people's face, but to help them transcend the self-imposed ceilings that are holding them back.

It's not just myself that thinks this way, but more or less everyone who plays at a very high level. I'm just the poor sod who has the guts to say it. Earlier I had a Steam conversation with such a high level player who is active in this thread, and it went like this:

hurleybird: Who would be easier to train to a high level, everything else being equal: A PvEr that has never PvPed, or someone that has been indoctrinated by the likes of [redacted - fleet that is active and acting outraged in this thread]

[redacted]: blank slate

Hurleybird: Definitely

[redacted]: with a "pre trained" guy, you have to de proram to re program

[redacted]: i think you said that like a sledge hammer on the forums by the way....lol
  • thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You mistake elitism for cold, hard reality. I'm not saying these things to be mean, or put people down. I'm saying it because it's the truth, despite the fact that it's the truth that nobody wants to hear. It's time that we put mediocrity in the limelight and fixed it. That's why I've created the Jorf Guide, not to rub it in people's face, but to help them transcend the self-imposed ceilings that are holding them back.

It's not just myself that thinks this way, but more or less everyone who plays at a very high level. I'm just the poor sod who has the guts to say it. Earlier I had a Steam conversation with such a high level player who is active in this thread, and it went like this:

hurleybird: Who would be easier to train to a high level, everything else being equal: A PvEr that has never PvPed, or someone that has been indoctrinated by the likes of [redacted - fleet that is active and acting outraged in this thread]

[redacted]: i think you said that like a sledge hammer on the forums by the way....lol

Oh don't worry. You're in it.
    edited March 2013
    thissler wrote: »
    Oh don't worry. You're in it.

Talking of mediocrity, never seen you in any Arenas. And when i do see you on videos, its doing the same thing on pugs, over and over and over and over and..... You get the point. To me, that is a sign of true mediocrity.

If it was against true PVPer's (Not just the Jorf definition ;)), i'd take my hat off.

I must give you one though. The one on Ricky Bobby was funny....
  • dummynamedummyname Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You could have been a little more diplomatic about it, Hurley. :P

Honestly, we (our fleet) are just starting out and we want to be a competitive force in pvp, and that redacted fleet you mentioned just so happened to stomp us, literally 5-0 in the first 15-30 seconds of the match, 15-0 in less than 3 minutes. We queued up again and faced the same exact team, and instead of stomping us again one broke off so we were facing them 4 on 5 and the guy gave us pointers and told us what we were doing wrong in zone chat.

That to me speaks volumes about their fleet, and many of our members have since been on their TS server and gotten pointers on specific builds and have flown with them to see how they do target calling cross healing and general comms chatter. So far from SOB I have learned basic target calling, how to coordinate alpha strikes and subnukes, how to cross heal and a little of the finer chess match that goes into healing just enough and saving something for when the other guy switches targets, saving subnukes for when the other team RSP's, saving science teams for when we get nuked...would you say those are poor pvp habits that we have learned? =)

I read your forum post on how not to be a terrible pre-made, I agree with everything in it. So would they, because they do everything you mentioned in your post. Everything, including the play to improve mentality, the build focusing, the relaxed hierarchy...literally everything. So I'm not sure why taking advice from them should be frowned upon, especially since you've alluded to the fact that new players would most likely never earn a spot in the "top fleets".

I honestly don't know the Sad Pandas from Adam, same with any fleet in this game, I'm barely over 2 months in and names have no prestige with me as of yet. So I can't say one way or another who is better, nor would I want to. What I would want is the cream of the crop to rise above not only in terms of gameplay, but in sportsnamship and grace. So far I've witnessed a pretty good pvp community in game, good fights all around and very few tantrums thrown in local....lets all aspire to maintain that positive attitude on the forums!
    24 Hours a day, 365 days a week.
    edited March 2013
    dummyname wrote: »
    You could have been a little more diplomatic about it, Hurley. :P

Honestly, we (our fleet) are just starting out and we want to be a competitive force in pvp, and that redacted fleet you mentioned just so happened to stomp us, literally 5-0 in the first 15-30 seconds of the match, 15-0 in less than 3 minutes. We queued up again and faced the same exact team, and instead of stomping us again one broke off so we were facing them 4 on 5 and the guy gave us pointers and told us what we were doing wrong in zone chat.

That to me speaks volumes about their fleet, and many of our members have since been on their TS server and gotten pointers on specific builds and have flown with them to see how they do target calling cross healing and general comms chatter. So far from SOB I have learned basic target calling, how to coordinate alpha strikes and subnukes, how to cross heal and a little of the finer chess match that goes into healing just enough and saving something for when the other guy switches targets, saving subnukes for when the other team RSP's, saving science teams for when we get nuked...would you say those are poor pvp habits that we have learned? =)

I read your forum post on how not to be a terrible pre-made, I agree with everything in it. So would they, because they do everything you mentioned in your post. Everything, including the play to improve mentality, the build focusing, the relaxed hierarchy...literally everything. So I'm not sure why taking advice from them should be frowned upon, especially since you've alluded to the fact that new players would most likely never earn a spot in the "top fleets".

I honestly don't know the Sad Pandas from Adam, same with any fleet in this game, I'm barely over 2 months in and names have no prestige with me as of yet. So I can't say one way or another who is better, nor would I want to. What I would want is the cream of the crop to rise above not only in terms of gameplay, but in sportsnamship and grace. So far I've witnessed a pretty good pvp community in game, good fights all around and very few tantrums thrown in local....lets all aspire to maintain that positive attitude on the forums!

We offer help open handed - jump onto our vent anytime. We help individuals as well as fleets wanting to break and explode into the PVP scene.

look me up in game @naz1911 and i'll help any time.

Reference diplomacy, he's workin on it ;)
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Reference diplomacy, he's workin on it ;)

Sounds just like PVP leaderboards, or the PvP reputation system. Just as with those. I ll believe it when i see it on holodeck.
    ...That's why I've created the Jorf Guide, not to rub it in people's face, but to help them transcend the self-imposed ceilings that are holding them back.

you mean the one that likens itself to the 10 commandments, and calls for total obedience if not in practice then in spirit.

LoL
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Gonna go hospital that day, so day after? 6pm UK time onwards i'm on for a while everyday usually.

Afraid I have a funeral I need to attend on Friday and Thursday will be a travel day, I will however see what I can do, if not then I know I'm back on Monday 18th at which point I would be delighted to have a 1 on 1 session
    ZiOfChe.png?1
    edited March 2013
    Afraid I have a funeral I need to attend on Friday and Thursday will be a travel day, I will however see what I can do, if not then I know I'm back on Monday 18th at which point I would be delighted to have a 1 on 1 session

Not that way inclined, but i'l help you break into PVP ;)
  • hydrodurahydrodura Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited March 2013

You call it reality. think for 1 min dont hurt yourself. the way you write you are discouraging potential fleets from join us in the pvp ques. think back 2 years when que basically had 30 plus players in the que. how many fleet use to be in que now it the same 2 to 3 fleets. we need to rebuild pvp and you are not the person to help it!!!!
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Unfortunately, I don't think that's good advice anymore. For feds, any fleet outside of Sad Pandas, Inner Circle, TSI, or Turkish RP Heroes isn't likely to teach good habits. Orion Slave Girls' PvP section is arguably the only decent Klingon team. Go outside of those fleets, and it's the blind leading the blind. However, on the fed side at least, none of the those fleets are likely to recruit newbies (Pandas is a possible exception, as we tend to recruit more on maximum potential than current ability). It's a tough spot to be in.

My advice is to forget about finding a fleet that does PvP and will accept you, because the ones that will probably aren't competent. Instead, seek out the best players and train with them. While none of the federation fleets I mentioned are likely to accept you as a fresh recruit, they will certainly help you if you ask for it. Train with them and they'll make you a far better player than you'd be if you joined a fail fleet...
    You mistake elitism for cold, hard reality. I'm not saying these things to be mean, or put people down. I'm saying it because it's the truth, despite the fact that it's the truth that nobody wants to hear. It's time that we put mediocrity in the limelight and fixed it. That's why I've created the Jorf Guide, not to rub it in people's face, but to help them transcend the self-imposed ceilings that are holding them back...
    While I disagree with Mr. HD 99.99% of the time, I think his observations about your ego were spot on. "Star Trek: Online" is a video game. Once you adapt a prideful mentality, you lose what is important about playing games. People are here to have fun.

"Star Trek: Online" is not a certified educational system, which gives out a two or four year degree. If you want to compare 'real world' inelegance and skill, I can guarantee you that my list of professional degrees and professional experiences will win out. While you may be an expert at playing 'video games', I will be laughing my way to the bank. You are a tiny fish playing in a sharks tank. I can also guarantee you that I am not alone. Many of "Star Trek: Online's" players spent hours researching, studying, and dedicating themselves to an offline profession. Many of them are also hardworking individuals who spent time rolling up their sleeves, digging into the dirt, and providing for families. Respect all players.

You want to talk about being open minded? Instead of putting yourself on top of a high pedestal, come down to Earth and become more humbled. Most of the really good "Star Trek: Online" players are humble individuals, and they could careless about who they play with. Why? People are here to have fun.

When it comes to really successful people, within a real world dynamic, they have tasted failure on more than one occasion. ...and, they recognize and are sympathetic to others who are struggling. Its the difference between being humble and prideful.

As someone who is interested in learning PvP, I would never seek out an ego driven fleet. i wouldn't want to be around to see the fall.
  • maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    a dude comes here and asks for help and it turns into a fleet war...

good job guys.
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • ivantomdisplayivantomdisplay Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm now ashamed I lol'd in ground pvp thread.
    [10:49] [Combat (Self)] Your Proton Barrage deals 96581 (43411) Proton(Critical) to Seto.
    Poor soul didnt have time to log out.
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Meh, at least that thread was created for the lolz. This one wasn't. ;)

But I'm glad the OP got the help he needed, so it's okay that this thread got derailed. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hurleybirdhurleybird Member Posts: 909
    edited March 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    "Star Trek: Online" is not a certified educational system, which gives out a two or four year degree. If you want to compare 'real world' inelegance and skill, I can guarantee you that my list of professional degrees and professional experiences will win out.

I'm not exactly sure how that translates into our discussion. I'm certainly not trying to say that being good at a video game begins to compare to the prestige of earning a doctorate. I'm happy for you that you seem to be doing well though!

I suppose the implication is that great PvPers get that way by spending an absurd amount of time and effort on the game, whereas an average player might direct that focus to more important areas of real life? If that's the case your reasoning is flawed. I've been on teams that devoted disproportionate effort into chasing the top spot, only to get beat down 15-0 (or some low number) by the likes of old QEW or TSI. Devoting more time won't hurt, but having the proper state of mind is more important by an order of magnitude.
    dummyname wrote: »
    I read your forum post on how not to be a terrible pre-made, I agree with everything in it. So would they, because they do everything you mentioned in your post. Everything, including the play to improve mentality, the build focusing, the relaxed hierarchy...literally everything.

Count me as skeptical, but if they've really made that kind of transformation I think that's great! I'd love to be proven wrong, and look forward to seeing them grow as a force in PvP. It still won't change my thoughts on groups that are far away from the ideals outlined in the guide though.
  • novalousnovalous Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Jorf let me explain something to you TRIBBLE. is the oldest fleet left in the game yes we were a fleet long before pandas we were 1 of those fleets stomping you 15-0 on a nightly basis when you were in lore. TSI is the only fleet formed before us. Pandas didnt become a name until 90% of pvpers left the game so ill tell you again like i told you that night on teamspeak congrats on being the second best fleet out of 3 fleets that can form a premade. Now that there has been more pvpers playing i wouldnt even consider pandas top 3. Your old news jorf go back to MWO.
    edited March 2013
    novalous wrote: »
    Jorf let me explain something to you TRIBBLE. .

i stopped reading there from laughter.

hehehe
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • nelson2014nelson2014 Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ok, I took my Sci/Sci into a pvp match (fleet Nova, CC/DPS (as best I can) build) and I was... well, less than effective.

I want to get more competent in both 1v1 and group pvp so here I am (a good student) looking for a teacher. I missed the bootcamp as I didn't see the adverts but even so...

Somebody please teach me...

I would not mind helping. Send me a message.
    @nelson2014. :)
    U.S.S. ENTERPRISE NCC 1701-Z
    Malivistitisa Class (39-century Federation Class)
    edited March 2013
    Mai are you still mad about that whooping TSI got the other night. Yes this crappy fleet TRIBBLE. beat TSI we have beat Pandas we have beat TRH inner circle has never beat us. The difference between us and them is we have never used double shields i have screenshots or voldey or the broken embassy doffs.We win and say gg we lose and say gg unlike the above mentioned fleets.We dont fly with every ship carrying extends like the above mentioned fleets. We play for fun not to be the best. We invite people to our fleet that we like not just because there good players.And while all these fleets are crumbling we are thriving. TRIBBLE. is not the best pvp fleet out there but we have beaten every fleet that claims to be the best.We have been here to see the rise and fall of all the best fleets and we will be here to see the next. Oh and we actually have the balls to pug.Win or lose we love the game and will help any player of any skill level.
  • zorena#3961 zorena Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    maicake716 wrote: »
    i stopped reading there from laughter.

hehehe

Good one Kai.
    Noone.
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What the **** is it with people against extend shields?

It's not like there aren't counters against the ability.

Nadeon, PSW, photonic doffs with proper timing make short work of extends.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    Well snoge if it is that easy to counter teams wouldnt bother carrying extends at all. The fact is that people do use psw to counter it so now teams carry extends on every ship 2 copies on atleast 3 ships. if the skill was so useless and easily countered you wouldnt see every top premade in the game abusing it. The fact is all these premades build there teams around it. So unless you have shockwave on every ship you will never break all extends and you would be called a psw spammer. Nadeon console with photonic doffs is broken everyone knows that and if you use it your called an exploiter. So heres a challenge to everyone if extends is so useless and easily countered dont use it lol. That will never happen.
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    *** Personally removed my post. Not worth the argument. ***
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What you need:
    - a vesta
    - a pair of tractor beams
    - one TBR
    - not much heal (it's NOT your job)
    - a graviton pulse console
    - a confuse ability
    - danube pets
    - learn how to use your snb wisely: most of the times, after you forced an escort to use the reverse shield.
    - learning that 1v1 makes no sense and isn't fun.
    - an elite fleet shield
    - an elite fleet deflector
    - a sensor officer in your doff active roster so that escorts get no alpha strike (use sensor scan as soon as they engage someone at the begining of a match)
    - the placate reputation perk + 1 or 2 male romulan blue tac boffs for the crit chance.

Also, get ready to receive a lot of aggressive and hostile PMs if you use such things. People really hate when you take control of their ships, but that's basically what you have to do. Your job is to take escorts at 0 speed, to harass them, to prevent them from doing damage, and to expose them.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited March 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    What you need:
    - a pair of tractor beams
    - one TBR
    - not much heal (it's NOT your job)
    - a graviton pulse console
    - a confuse ability
    - danube pets
    - learning that 1v1 makes no sense and isn't fun.

- a sensor officer in your doff active roster so that escorts get no alpha strike (use sensor scan as soon as they engage someone at the begining of a match)
    - the placate reputation perk + 1 or 2 male romulan blue tac boffs for the crit chance.

i completely disagree with these points.
    Do you even Science Bro?