No Romulans in May: click and see why

Comments

• lakenoplakenop Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lemonkingi wrote: »
    *wanders in thread*

Its a little more than plausible now.

Found some folders - Species_Icons_Player_Romulan
    Only 2 player races listed, Romulans and Remans.

No additional Faction UI styles found, number of art stubs for other UI parts.

Romulan Class Icons
    tazGQ6M.png

:cool:

Very cool find, thank you.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lemonkingi wrote: »
    *wanders in thread*

Its a little more than plausible now.

Found some folders - Species_Icons_Player_Romulan
    Only 2 player races listed, Romulans and Remans.

No additional Faction UI styles found, number of art stubs for other UI parts.

Romulan Class Icons
    tazGQ6M.png

:cool:

Careful... They get cranky about folks posting stuff from the files here.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    wHY NO one post the obvious? Based on the date range it is just the date we get to test whatever Romulan content and not the public release of the content. Calm down folks..
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Oh you KDF whiners, stop please! Cryptic has done a lot to improve the KDF over the years.

I actually recall it being a faction of c-store ships and around 5 mission in random exploration sectors that you could grind. Now the KDF has at least 20 missions, many of them linear and story based! So stop being attention seekers. You got the attention you deserve by the merit of demand for KDF content.

Now... the incomplete Season 1 KDF faction is something I wisht to mention.

A Romulan faction like that is indeed possible. Lets see...what do Cryptic have:

Romulan Home sector: Tau Dewa - Already in game.
    Romulan Home world/starting zone : Mol'Rihan - Already in game *
    Romulan Outfits : Civilian, military - Already in game.
    Romulan Ships: 4 of them. Not much, but they come in Romulan and Reman favour - Already in game.
    Romulan Species : For starters, it can be Romulan and Reman only - Already in game.
    Romulan specific ground weapons : Romulan reputation weapons - Already in game.
    Romulan specific buildings : Since before Season 7 - Already in game.
    Romulan faction missions : This is the one thing they are lacking - Not in game, but maybe under development.

* And its actually at least on par with ESD and Kronos. Wait, its better then ESD... lets say ESD and Academy.

Romulans can start at level 50 initially, which would give them access to end game content to make up for the lack of other missions. Or let them start at level 25 and grind up with the same 5 missions or bland exploration of Federation exploration zones.

So... what cryptic has to do is write the coding for the actual faction, put up a "Romulan Navy" Building on new romulus, make like 5-10 missions in Tau Dewa, and maybe add a few more ships, that can actually be just reskinned versions of the already existing ones.

Because lets face it, most of the resources they need is already in game.

I have seen talented groups of 5 modders adding entire new races into games in the time that has been elapsed since Season 7, and Cryptic admittedly has been "The main PWE cash cow" and "got more staff" .

IF we believe them, this could easily mean that they could make up a Romulan Faction. Not a complete and well fleshed out one, but a starting faction none the less that would get improved over time like the KDF and even the Feds did.

Also, expect bugs. As for Conspiracies about content being held back.... Season 7 and the new whole romulan sector was not held back, was it?

- except i would hope for a HQ in Iota Pavonis or Psi Velorum (even better).

http://images.wikia.com/startrek/images/a/a8/Star_Trek_Online_Galaxy_map.jpg
  • devilzaphandevilzaphan Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    One thing people are forgetting what Stahl also said is that PWE also wants the KDF faction done before any other faction is installed in the game. So i don't believe a playable Romulan faction will be done this year, but a fully fledged Romulan FE, maybe a new sector, and maybe more Romulan rep.
    Romulan sexy time
    romulancommander1.jpg

• duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    One thing people are forgetting what Stahl also said is that PWE also wants the KDF faction done before any other faction is installed in the game. So i don't believe a playable Romulan faction will be done this year, but a fully fledged Romulan FE, maybe a new sector, and maybe more Romulan rep.

one thing YOU seem to forget is that DStahl also said KDF is not profitable, so the "KDF is done" you imagine could differ from what Cryptic sees as "KDF is done" .

For me, "KDF is done" would be a new tutorial and starting at lvl1. There are enough missions already available for it to be possible.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    duaths1 wrote: »
    one thing YOU seem to forget is that DStahl also said KDF is not profitable, so the "KDF is done" you imagine could differ from what Cryptic sees as "KDF is done" .

For me, "KDF is done" would be a new tutorial and starting at lvl1. There are enough missions already available for it to be possible.

Well that might be true ... but isn't exactly in favor of a Romulan Faction, if Klingons are not profitable why should Romulans, just because some people really like them ? like you ... that's also true for KDF ...

Secondly there is no such statement like "KDF is done" ... on the contrary, already asked you a bazillion times to show some source ... Dstahl basically just said ... "there are not enough KDF players to favor KDF content over Federation Content ..." ... there is still "Universal Content" i.E. ... doesn't mean KDF is Done ...

Again it's kind of surreal to assume the general PWE target group cares or even knows about Romulans, while they don't even care about Klingons ...

Why is this a problem ? Well first it might be because you can't start a KDF character from the beginning ... but secondly that's just how Star Trek works ... it's not like in (World of) Warcraftt or something, which already had 2 equal Factions in every game etc ... but Star Trek on the other hand was always focussing on the Federation ... so other factions doesn't matter if Romulan, Klingon, Talaxian might just not be profitable, because the vast majority of the game will always play Federation ...

If you're not gonna show me some poll which implies over 50% of current Players will abandon their faction/ character for playable Romulans, that's just how it is ...

Not really profitable to work on "Romulan Monster Play"/yet another "Twink" - Faction, while most of the customers might not even have a Twink ... that's most likely also the reason Dstahl said "No Rommies, before complete KDF"

So... what cryptic has to do is write the coding for the actual faction, put up a "Romulan Navy" Building on new romulus, make like 5-10 missions in Tau Dewa, and maybe add a few more ships, that can actually be just reskinned versions of the already existing ones.

You're missing tons of stuff here, like complete PVP, STF Revamp, DOffs etc etc and that's not even a statement on If it's possible, just check :

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=543211
    As for Conspiracies about content being held back.... Season 7 and the new whole romulan sector was not held back, was it?

Nope that was kind of the whole the point ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • zippichzippich Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    - at least a featured episode series (5 episodes, which means 10-20 x 5 days of work according to an interview with Goatshark): 50 to 100 days.

How long do you boil an egg? 10 minutes? And how long do you boil 10 eggs in the same pot? If your answer is 100 minutes, then... :)
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i liked the aniversay episode even had the voice of a trek babe. i hope may update is more more more of this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i liked the aniversay episode even had the voice of a trek babe. i hope may update is more more more of this.

Since Denise Crosby will be back in ~May for more voiceovers ... that's actually really likely -> Return of Sela, Iconians etc
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Agreed - and apologies for repeating what I've basically said elsewhere, in other posts, but I don't think that a Romulan faction will be introduced in May. And frankly I, personally, don't really want it to.

They have plenty of loose-ends to tie first, and I for one would much rather see them continue both the KDF and the Iconian storyline from previous FE's. THOSE two points are, in my opinion, more vital to the content ,and STO's future in general, than introducing another faction.

I agree

But I don't believe a word Stahl says, if they feel a Romulan Faction would be a major money spinner they'll do it.

Lets remember that adding stuff to the KDF a this point will only ever a fraction of the financial return a new box full of shinnies or a Romulan faction will.

In all things business follow the money trail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • deepspacejunkiedeepspacejunkie Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    duaths1 wrote: »

does not mean it cannot ever become profitable, if they were to "finish it" add some content (ships, missions, equipment etc..) and really make it more appealing to the players it could become quite profitable.

there are quite a few things they could do to improve it, not just strap on another tutorial and lower the starting level i doubt they will do that.
    Arwin - Bane - Logan - Heniken - Seltek - Ariel - NoBeer4u
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    zippich wrote: »
    How long do you boil an egg? 10 minutes? And how long do you boil 10 eggs in the same pot? If your answer is 100 minutes, then... :)

That only works if the missions are identical or using pre-built resources, otherwise your cooking each egg individually.
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think his point was that the mission team is not the whole dev team, other things are getting done while the missions are finished.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    And I see people completely missed the point of my post. I think I need to make it easier to understand.

I never said anything about a complete faction that is on par with the Federation , but a small skeleton faction akin to the KDF at the earliest seasons.

What STF revamp? There will be none. What PVP? They just need to add a third spawn point to the alread existing ones.

The starbases I missed, but its not really that hard to do either.

They can reuse the interiors and the looks of already existing romulan starbases that you encounter on a Fed mission.

Why do people think that I was talking about a complete Federation like Romulan faction with 40 ships, 15 races . I mean in that thread... Tiny, unimportant things like Romulan caitians? Really? I mean, O Relly? A faction absolutly needs *that* before it can be launched?

I hope this post will prevent people from reading my post and making a totally unconnected assumption.... but I would not bet on it.

As for a new faction. They would do it if they think it makes money. There was a poll that showed that the romulans are already more favoured then the KDF, so its not an unreasonable thing to assume. Of course, we can't know for sure.

And we can't know that if they Do make a Romulan faction, it may be left to rot like the KDF if its support does not meet the expected hype.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • zippichzippich Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    cidstorm wrote: »
    I think his point was that the mission team is not the whole dev team, other things are getting done while the missions are finished.

Well, the dev said that the shortest time is like 20 days. For example 3 days to write a script, 2 to draw concept art, 6 to make models of terrains, 5 to include actions, cinematics etc, 4 days to test...

But once the writer's job is done, he can work on another mission. Same with model artists etc. :) If one mission can be done in 20 days, 10 can be done in 30 (numbers are just my imagination, no need to discuss them :P).
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    And that implies that a mission absolutly needs new models and textures, instead of using already existing ones.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    zippich wrote: »
    Well, the dev said that the shortest time is like 20 days. For example 3 days to write a script, 2 to draw concept art, 6 to make models of terrains, 5 to include actions, cinematics etc, 4 days to test...

But once the writer's job is done, he can work on another mission. Same with model artists etc. :) If one mission can be done in 20 days, 10 can be done in 30 (numbers are just my imagination, no need to discuss them :P).

Well said.
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I seriously doubt that STO will ever see any other "full complete faction", including KDF, which has content on par with the Federation. It's just not financially worthwhile to invest the time and effort to make that much content when only a fraction of the playerbase will ever call that faction "home" or even bother to experience the content.

Now with that out of the way, Cryptic is running out of canon ships and has to come up with some new ones somewhere to help keep the money flowing. Introducing "other" factions is the answer as it allows them to create some simple content to offer the players other options and providing for other ships to be brought in game. This also allows for including more lockbox and C-Store ships. With the mini-factions also comes the opportunity for additional C-Store races and costumes.

Profits are behind the making of this game and not the dreams and wishes of faction fans.
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Has anybody considered they are being so vague because they're not entirely sure exactly what content they'll have ready for May?

The so-called "spoilers" (read: Taglines) are vague enough that Cryptic can play it safe and not even hint at what *may* happen. But rather, that they are working towards the FE (more than likely at minimum more sela-romulan story) as well as possibly implementing romulans as playables?

While my money is on us definitely not seeing them playable at that point, just an observation that they could be intentionally teasing, but even they are not sure of what yet?
  • ironmakoironmako Member Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So, the moral of this thread is that Cryptic are useless, the game is crappy, and the Devs are incapable of doing anything worthwhile.

So my question is, why are you all still here? If there is nothing at all appealing about what Cryptic do, then why are all you complainers still here? Upsticks and go if thats the case, but we know you won't.

God, everyone is using this daft word "canon" to try and sound in with the times. Whats wrong with saying "original"?
  • azyurionazyurion Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I concur with the OP, regarding the May event. It seems very unlikely that a playable Romulan Faction with debut.

The event clearly has a Romulan focus, but I think recent events have already revealed the most likely content will be the Sela / Iconian story arc which was begun some time ago.

As I recall, Denise Crosby was brought on board to voice both Tasha Yar and Empress Sela. Thus, having already seen the Yar episode released, it seems likely that the Sela episodes will be next in line.

In fact, STO has always handled the debut of an entirely new Series as a major event. A Sela / Iconian series would be a very big deal ; I think that is what we are seeing in the teasers.

If there is anything Romulan that is "playable", it will probably be a BOff, DOff, or ship (gear) based on past series rewards. Whatever happens in May, I'm very excited and pleased in advance. It's just fantastic to see the STO team releasing new content and not just another Lockbox, or C-Store item.
    edited March 2013
    Well that might be true ... but isn't exactly in favor of a Romulan Faction, if Klingons are not profitable why should Romulans, just because some people really like them ? like you ... that's also true for KDF ...

Secondly there is no such statement like "KDF is done" ... on the contrary, already asked you a bazillion times to show some source ... Dstahl basically just said ... "there are not enough KDF players to favor KDF content over Federation Content ..." ... there is still "Universal Content" i.E. ... doesn't mean KDF is Done ...

Again it's kind of surreal to assume the general PWE target group cares or even knows about Romulans, while they don't even care about Klingons ...

Why is this a problem ? Well first it might be because you can't start a KDF character from the beginning ... but secondly that's just how Star Trek works ... it's not like in (World of) Warcraftt or something, which already had 2 equal Factions in every game etc ... but Star Trek on the other hand was always focussing on the Federation ... so other factions doesn't matter if Romulan, Klingon, Talaxian might just not be profitable, because the vast majority of the game will always play Federation ...

If you're not gonna show me some poll which implies over 50% of current Players will abandon their faction/ character for playable Romulans, that's just how it is ...

Not really profitable to work on "Romulan Monster Play"/yet another "Twink" - Faction, while most of the customers might not even have a Twink ... that's most likely also the reason Dstahl said "No Rommies, before complete KDF"

You're missing tons of stuff here, like complete PVP, STF Revamp, DOffs etc etc and that's not even a statement on If it's possible, just check :

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=543211

Nope that was kind of the whole the point ...

The reason Romulans will be profitable would be because they are new and another faction to play, we've been stuck with KDF and Starfleet for how many years now? People will jump on that like white on rice. KDF are just not profitable enough , they've lost money on the KDF with the C-store ships.
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    azyurion wrote: »
    If there is anything Romulan that is "playable", it will probably be a BOff, DOff, or ship (gear) based on past series rewards. Whatever happens in May, I'm very excited and pleased in advance. It's just fantastic to see the STO team releasing new content and not just another Lockbox, or C-Store item.

Except for that whole Romulan_Playable race and icons thing that was recently discovered. If there weren't going to be playable Romulans in some way I doubt that would be there. Since, if it was really a year or more off I doubt they'd put it in the files this early.

Not that I'm saying it's going to be a full faction, but, it seems to point to at least something in the realm of playable Romulan player characters as opposed to just an FE.
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »

II - Dan Stahl almost saying "no".

II - Dan Stahl almost saying "no".

Quote:
    Dstahl: We are not ready to begin discussing the details of what is in our May update, however the reference definitely suggests that it is related to Romulans in some way. We will share more news about the update and give a clearer response to your question as we get closer to May.

Quote:
    Dstahl: We have always had a plan for how we wanted to implement additional factions and we have polls dating back to early in the game's life when we were looking to see which future factions players were most interested in. If and when we release a Romulan faction, you can expect that it would set the stage for how a Cardassian, Borg, or any other faction would be introduced into the game.

Where's the NO part? It was referred as to... "they'r Not ready to discuss"...doesnt mean they wont do it....semantics can throw out whatever you want to think...still mere speculation and we will find out in 17 days
    DUwNP.gif

• snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lakenop wrote: »
    The reason Romulans will be profitable would be because they are new and another faction to play, we've been stuck with KDF and Starfleet for how many years now? People will jump on that like white on rice. KDF are just not profitable enough , they've lost money on the KDF with the C-store ships.

When the new shiny wears off, if the faction doesn't have enough meat and potatoes to sustain it, then it'll be another 12% of the playerbase not showing enough metrics to rationalize giving development resources to.

In other words, Cryptic's failure with the KDF is just a preview of how they can, or rather can not, handle multiple factions.

When people start telling Romulan complainers that:

1- The Shows were Fed centric not Romulan Centric
    2- Not enough people play the Romulan faction
    3- You can do FEs and STFs so shut up and be happy
    4- You already have all the Romulan ships shown on shows, why do you need more?

You'll start to understand how poorly implemented factions don't help anyone. Not the federation players. Not the Klingon players. And eventually not the Romulan players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nefarius2nefarius2 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Would folks be interested in bringing Romulans and maybe Cardassians into an alliance with the KDF. Before you blow your collective tops just hear me out. Storywise it could work. Both the Romulans and Cardassians have been weakened and there are elements looking to be legitimate and respected powers again. Both are warrior races and might consider an alliance with the KDF. Adding Romulan, Reman, and Cardassians to the KDF/Alliance along with tech and ships might bring a boost to the KDF in terms of player numbers. Exsisting Fed episodes could be retconned to give content to a content starved faction as well as incentive to complete it. Think of it as an opposing faction alliance. I'm not sure how the game mechanics work, but maybe offer players Romulan and Cardassian flavored fleet bases for folks who RP. You can have an all Romulan fleet with matching base to give that singular faction feel. I know this won't please everyone, but i see it as a compromise to some of the existing issues that players have. Any thoughts?
    edited March 2013
    When the new shiny wears off, if the faction doesn't have enough meat and potatoes to sustain it, then it'll be another 12% of the playerbase not showing enough metrics to rationalize giving development resources to.

In other words, Cryptic's failure with the KDF is just a preview of how they can, or rather can not, handle multiple factions.

You'll start to understand how poorly implemented factions don't help anyone. Not the federation players. Not the Klingon players. And eventually not the Romulan players.

I get what you're getting at. But I still don't understand the amount of hype thats going into this next big patch. When have they EVER put a countdown on new episodes? When? I've had this account ever since the 1st week of launch and I've never seen this amount of hype. With that countdown they are just going to end up disapointing a vast majority of the population if it isn't a Romulan faction or anything exciting.
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Sadly, it doesn't really matter. Even if it's a brief boost in money that's all that really matters to PWE. Especially when this is an excuse to throw more lockboxes into the game. I mean, if you think about it this means that we could have triple reward lockboxes and people will have to shell out even MORE money if they want things for their Feddies, Klinks AND Rommies. Even if it's just a 10% increase it's enough for them.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    captsol wrote: »
    Except for that whole Romulan_Playable race and icons thing that was recently discovered. If there weren't going to be playable Romulans in some way I doubt that would be there. Since, if it was really a year or more off I doubt they'd put it in the files this early.

huh? seriously?