test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Id pay $100 NP for a Tactical Borg Cube Lockbox Ship

painstixpainstix Member Posts: 35 Arc User
What are the chances that could happen? Federation prototype, so not as strong as the real thing of course!
Post edited by painstix on

Comments

• lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited February 2013
    I would hope less then zero.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Only if after you use it, your toon becomes an NPC and is lost to you forever!!!! Muhahahaha! :P Enjoy Assimilation!
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Doubt we'll ever get Borg ships.

1. Size. Cubes are simply too massive for players to fly. Spawn points on maps would be hectic. Hope for probes or spheres at best, or "borgified" ships like the Vo'quv or *gulp* Scimitar. :D

2. Orientation. Borg ships are symmetrical and very difficult to determine where you're facing. Unless they receive unique textures or new models to help in that regard, players would have to rely on camera orientation and engine trails (if they're added) to see where they're going.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Kill it with fire before it lays eggs.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Best we can hope for is probably assimilated Fed and Klingon ships.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Please no Cubes, Spheres, Pyramids, Telephone booths or Flying Toilets. What is with this God forsaken desire to turn this game into a joke?
    Cubes and Spheres are just too big, even the tactical cube, the smallest of the existing Borg designs are those lozenge shaped probes, want to fly one of those, be my guest while we all sit back and laugh.
    If they ever give players Borg ships the ships will be a lot smaller, probably some kind of hybrid of an existing factions design with Borg assimilated features.
    Players will never be given an ubership, and if they get a minicube it will be nerfed to player parity levels, advantages in combat, zero. You won't be able to lord it over anyone since your cube won't be any stronger than anyone else's and in PvP I can just about guarantee that everyone will gang up to finish off your cube first before going at each other.

That said I can't believe that the game designers are so lacking in imagination that they would have to resort to releasing the ugliest and most boring looking ships in the game to players, however delusional those players may be. Sure I usually agree that people should fly whatever they want, but in this case I hope that Cryptic and PWE have the good sense to save people from themselves.

What's next? Captain Proton Rocket Gliders?
    God this stuff gives me a headache.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Kill it with fire before it lays eggs.

Nuke it from orbit, its the only way to be sure.
  • logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would not mind seeing a borg faction at some point in the distant future. Until then, no.

It is bad enough to see Starfleet officers flying Tholian ships.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    they're selling every other ship model in the game to players already, only a matter of time
  • viper40wattviper40watt Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm not sure we'll ever see a player ship that large, but we'll certainly have a borg lockbox at some point with probes/spheres/diamonds inside.

I think the other big name lockbox on the horizon will be the Undine.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Would like a Borg lockbox, but only as long as the ships are Diamond, the Borg ship Lore uses, or some new type of Borg ship.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I won't lie when I say that anyone who spends money hoping to get a cube out of a lockbox deserves to get ripped off.
    We can already get the Borg look with Assimilated gear for our ships, what is with the fascination with getting a Cube? I just don't get it, it's nothing to look at, be like flying around in a big patched together rusty lockbox.
    As for Borg as a playable faction, that would be a game breaker, Liberated Borg, Rogue Borg maybe but regular Borg, no way that would fit. Borg don't have embassies, they don't have an economy so how would it work? And how far out the window are we going to throw Star Trek history just to get a Borg faction.
    They would have to build an economy and game storyline from the ground up just for the Borg, does that sound like something Cryptic could do?
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    A re-purposed Probe or Sphere with special 360 degree weapons, ma-aybe. A Cube?.. please no, not ever.

Personally, there are still plenty of other alien ships I'd rather see - like a Sona battleship /swoon.
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    *sigh* common sense is not that common. :(
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ROCKET PACK !!!

I wanna fly around in space like Captain Proton , and pew pew at the Borg with my dustbuster expose phaser .
    Pew pew ... I shall expose the Borg !

I wonder if starships have bumpers that I can hang on to for a lift ... .
    I don't expect my rocket pack to go to warp you know ... , since I'm being all realistic here ! :P
  • gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd pay $100 for two full factions.... oh wait.. I did that several times over.. still only 1.5 factions... silly me :rolleyes:
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Best we can hope for is probably assimilated Fed and Klingon ships.

We, um, already have those...
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Please no Cubes, Spheres, Pyramids, Telephone booths or Flying Toilets. What is with this God forsaken desire to turn this game into a joke?
    Cubes and Spheres are just too big, even the tactical cube, the smallest of the existing Borg designs are those lozenge shaped probes, want to fly one of those, be my guest while we all sit back and laugh.
    If they ever give players Borg ships the ships will be a lot smaller, probably some kind of hybrid of an existing factions design with Borg assimilated features.
    Players will never be given an ubership, and if they get a minicube it will be nerfed to player parity levels, advantages in combat, zero. You won't be able to lord it over anyone since your cube won't be any stronger than anyone else's and in PvP I can just about guarantee that everyone will gang up to finish off your cube first before going at each other.

How awesome would it be if not only was it identical in stats to existing ships, but it also had the utterly pathetic max speed of a tactical cube. I think they manage to occasionally move 1/8th the speed of my star cruiser. But usually I can outrun them by backing up.
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Personally id love to see a borg lockbox.. go figure :)

Things i personally would die for...

Special Lock Box Ship: Diamond

Uniforms/Misc Items for lobi store:
    - locutus outfit
    - borg arm attachement weapons (differ then the ones we can get now, these ones actually replace your arm with a weapon)
    -Addaptive Shielding - what the borg use for personal shielding
    -Borg Probe
    -female borg body

just a few ideas :P

* reason this could work is that in voyager you see rebel borg, also seen in tng also. These borg could of wanted to join the federation and its allies and allowed them to use the items/ships ect that the borg use, to help fight the borg.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • crownvic2doorcrownvic2door Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I dunno it would be cool to have a way to fully assimilate whatever ship of your choosing:) all the fancy borg stuff without having to use consoles and the sets..lol Assimilated romulan set?:D LMAO
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think everyone who wants to fly Borg ships would be disappointed if Cryptic ever decided to include them.

From a mechanics point of view Borg ships just aren't compatible. All playable ships bank and turn. Borg ships don't bank, and they don't really turn either. Borg ships turn on a single axis while they proceed in their chosen direction.

Also our ships have the fore/aft weapon configuration, but Borg ships don't have a fore or an aft so how would the weapons be equipped? 2 slots per face? Spheres don't even have facings so what about them? Would space sets be compatible considering that Borg ships don't have deflectors or impulse engines to speak of?

I'm sure there are more considerations, but you get the idea. I doubt Cryptic would be willing to do significant work to the game engine to allow Borg ships to act as they should. And really I wouldn't fly one given the choice, you know what they say about meeting you're heroes.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This thread reminds me of some old ones we had in the old forums before certain ships had been put into the game.
    They went a bit like "I want the Galaxy variant from All Good Things, then I can oneshot every ship in the game!" or "I want the Endgame Voyager version, I'll be totally immune to everyone and kill everything with a single torpedo!".
    In other terms "I want to be invincible!".
    This is not really that different.
  • lirdeklirdek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You would pay $100 for a virtual 3d model stuff for a game? good for you; I woudnt.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Personally id love to see a borg lockbox.. go figure :)

If it has a big neon sign on the side flashing "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS" , i'd have no problem with it .

But until then we'll have to settle for them giving us the minimum while making us think it's the new maximum .
    5 FORWARD WEAPONS FTW !!!
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There have been a few threads where some "people" were asking for cubes and spheres. But I am surprised that not a single person asked for a flyable Unimatrix command vessel. So let me be the first one:

I DEMAND unimatrix ship in a LOCK BOX...NOW!!!

PWE, can you hear the lovely sound of coins chinking in your big ears? Can you see the profit?
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Plus that, with regards to both ships, the players who wanted to "oneshot every ship in the game" or "be totally immune to everyone and kill everything with a single torpeod" were undoubtedly disappointed, since the Galaxy-X phaser lance and the Intrepid Ablative Generator bare very little resemblence to was seen in their respective epsidoes.

And they keep complaining about it in one thread or another.
    I think canon has to take a backseat to playability, anything else would also breed a "monoculture" of ships...not to mention all the invincible instawin ships would be concentrated on the Fed side.
    Of course one could say that's the point of some of these demands.

The same complaints would probably also come up if this thing were put in a lockbox.
    "Why doesn't my Borg Cube have millions of hitpoints?!":rolleyes:
  • ironmakoironmako Member Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No no no no no no. No Borg cubes please.

I think as far as Borg tech in the game goes, i think we have enough already, I mean, we even have Borg Tribbles!

No, i would like some more content on the Breen, and their battlecrusiers.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ironmako wrote: »
    No, i would like some more content on the Breen, and their battlecrusiers.

Amen to that.
  • tapal4tapal4 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well a borg cube would be nice for a combination with Liberated Borg chars.
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    painstix wrote: »
    What are the chances that could happen? Federation prototype, so not as strong as the real thing of course!

A Federation Prototype Borg Tactical Cube?

Sorry? What?