test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Literary Challenge #38 Discussion Thread

1235»

Comments

• reddwarf86reddwarf86 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I kinda wrote myself in a hole when I made my character named "Sam Bright," and he's Betazoid. I ended up playing it off as a "Terranization" of his original Betazoid name, "Samuaal Brait."

I want to write more about my characters. I started stories based on them for a couple of the Challenges, but this is the first one where I've actually completed and submitted it. I had one based on the Challenge where my First Officer was accused of murder (I had the twist where she actually had done the deed, on orders from Section 31. She ended up getting recruited by them and left my ship), and the Facility 4028 Challenge (It was a long and involved story that ended up getting bogged down with all the details I wanted to put in, but basically it was that the Iconians provided the information that allowed the Jem'hadar to sabotage Facility 4028 so thoroughly, which was why it required a power-down-power-up cycle to get back up. They used the opportunity to get Taris out of there.)

I'm glad I've actually taken the time to put one of my stories to "paper" and posted here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • superhombre777superhombre777 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    reddwarf86 wrote: »
    I kinda wrote myself in a hole when I made my character named "Sam Bright," and he's Betazoid. I ended up playing it off as a "Terranization" of his original Betazoid name, "Samuaal Brait."

"Terranization" is fine. It reminds me of M'k'n'z'y of Calhoun.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited February 2013
    Incredible! More and more discussion is happening with each challenge. I love it! :D

I'm going to unstick this now to post #39, but please continue discussing!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Late replies ahoy! Thank you all for your positive responses!
    Excellent wrap to the story :D I really like the sound of the Sikkorans as well :) Peter David had a species he (over)used called the Redeemers who were also religious zealouts (as much as I love Peter's work, I feel he did overuse them, and Meyer and Boyajian to the point where the gag was no longer funny) but the Sikkorans have a nice sound to them, it'll be good to see more of them in the future :cool:

I only read one of the New Frontier books, so I had no knowledge of the Redeemers. The Sikkorans may pop up again at some point, after the Department of Temporal Affairs collectively gapes "the Statue of Liberty was built by WHO now?"
    gulberat wrote: »
    Very nice--and especially nice that, even with the parallel to the first X-Men movie, it was still very distinct and easily able to stand on its own as a separate idea. :)

I just wonder something...how well would your captain get along with a Bajoran follower of the Prophets, for example? Would he make a distinction between the fanatics and the reasonable ones? (And we definitely saw on DS9 quite the spectrum of Bajoran believers, from very levelheaded like Bareil to completely wacko.)

I didn't even notice the parallel to the first X-Men movie until you mentioned it. Thanks for the compliments, though. As for Arkos' attitudes toward religion...one of his character flaws (aside from his reckless curiosity) is his dismissive attitude of any spiritual belief whatsoever. He is of the firm opinion that religion is both irrational and poisonous, and it has gotten him into more than a few bitter arguments. I'll probably explore the reason behind this attitude in future entries.

I must confess, I didn't have time to read all of the other entries, but most of the ones I did read, I quite liked.

@mussapiens: Really well written! I want to see more of the Mnemophage and her gallant crew now.

@cmdrscarlet: I'm going to have to echo wraithshadow's sentiments that your story's shortness was the only fault I could find with it. Otherwise, quite nice!

@wraithshadow: After I overcame my surprise at how emotional your Vulcan seemed, I was quite drawn in by the whole dialogue. Well done, and I hope to see more!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I didn't even notice the parallel to the first X-Men movie until you mentioned it. Thanks for the compliments, though.

You're welcome. :) As I mentioned before, though, I did not mean the mention of said parallels in a negative light.
    As for Arkos' attitudes toward religion...one of his character flaws (aside from his reckless curiosity) is his dismissive attitude of any spiritual belief whatsoever. He is of the firm opinion that religion is both irrational and poisonous, and it has gotten him into more than a few bitter arguments. I'll probably explore the reason behind this attitude in future entries.

I felt like I got some hints as to what may have happened in his past to cause that--though for it to carry over into what could be construed as bigotry is indeed a character flaw.

Definitely shouldn't plan a crossover with Arkos and Alyosha Strannik (my captain for the LC's). If Arkos made an untoward remark in front of Alyosha, it wouldn't go well for the two of them; that's for sure.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gulberat wrote: »
    You're welcome. :) As I mentioned before, though, I did not mean the mention of said parallels in a negative light.

I felt like I got some hints as to what may have happened in his past to cause that--though for it to carry over into what could be construed as bigotry is indeed a character flaw.

Definitely shouldn't plan a crossover with Arkos and Alyosha Strannik (my captain for the LC's). If Arkos made an untoward remark in front of Alyosha, it wouldn't go well for the two of them; that's for sure.

No, I think you've just given a very good reason for Arkos and Alyosha to meet. The ensuing debate/argument would be fun to write. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • svwilsonsvwilson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This would be my first LC, but -- let me get this straight -- those nine stories posted were all written since Tuesday? And that really long one was posted Wednesday?

Do you have any idea how intimidating that is?