test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is there an ETA on Ocampan race?

tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Federation Discussion
I'm getting rather bored with doing the same stuff over and over on my VA level captain.

So, for a change of pace, I'd like to roll a Science Captain and try something different.

But I'm not really interested in doing this with the standard race options, so I was never really motivated to roll a new Captain.

Then I heard that that they're planning to release Ocampans as a playable race for Starfleet.
This would be interesting to play as, so I immediately made plans to make one when they become available.

But so far, I haven't heard of a release date yet.

Does anyone have a timeframe?
Or can the Devs please state one?

And to forestall the inevitable comments/debates, no I'm not making an "imitation" Ocampan with Custom Alien.
It has to be the real thing, not a cheap knockoff.
Also, the psychic CA traits are rather pointless, I tried them once, felt rather underwhelmed.
Hopefully Ocampan will do better ones!

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
Post edited by tilarta on

Comments

• Options
    chrisdangershowchrisdangershow Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd like to see this myself tied into a possible jaunt into the delta quadrant and possibly some new adventures/missions to boot...
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As far as I know, There is no hard date on Ocampas/Talaxians/Kazons being added to the game. I am not even sure they are definitely being added, from Cryptics standpoint.

It is entirely possible that, much like the Denobulans, they are testing the waters so to speak to see if there is even an interest.

That said, I have to agree with the above poster. I don't see any of these races getting the "Must haves" that warrant working on them until we get more delta quadrant stuff. Which, from what I can gather from minor developer comments (and maybe a magic eight ball or two) is still very far away.

I wouldn't expect to see them any time soon, though I two would love to have an Ocampa captain that wasn't an Alien.
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm all for more races and customisation for both factions in-game.

You might have noticed this already, but there is an Ocampan NPC at Earth Space Dock - Linnea, the secretary to Admiral Quinn.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't even see how an Ocampa captain could survive long enough to even attain any sort of notable command. 9 years ain't a lot of time when 3-4 of that's training at the Academy.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    squatsauce wrote: »
    I don't even see how an Ocampa captain could survive long enough to even attain any sort of notable command. 9 years ain't a lot of time when 3-4 of that's training at the Academy.
    Unless, of course, the game lore makes an TRIBBLE pull and states that the Ocampans somehow gained a more "normal" lifespan by using Federation-provided life-extension technology (similar to the nascene Suspiria).
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    areikou#8990 areikou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Funny you should say that.
    Besides the shape of their ears, Ocampa look like Humans. Ocampa are a telepathic species and have a short lifespan compared to Humans, typically less then a decade. However, individuals have survived into their twenties with the assistance of non-Ocampan technology.

Source: http://www.stowiki.org/Ocampa

Remember, by the age of 1, they've already attained full knowledge of how to speak, write, read, and have fully grown adult bodies. They literally cut out the entire first 18 years of a human's lifespan and cut right to the chase.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
    is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
  • Options
    squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm gonna be honest. I'm always happy for players to have more choices. I also think that the Ocampa are some of the most poorly designed aliens to appear in Star Trek. Even more than the Pakled. I'm not joking. Still, sure, let's add them in somewhere.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    squatsauce wrote: »

You can't compare Ocampan time to human time, they're different ways of measuring.

Simply put, an Ocampan has an accelerated learning capacity compared to a human, which you would need if your maximum life expectancy is 9 years.

What would take a human 4 years would probably take an Ocampan no more then 3 months.

And yes, they're going to have to handwave the lifespan issue somehow.
    I mean, your Ocampan Captain isn't exactly going to age, are they?
    So they could say something along the lines of current medical technology halted the Ocampan aging process.

Well, for a time anyway, it wouldn't exactly stop it, but it would slow it down to what humans consider normal.

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    dom1941dom1941 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    An Ocampan playable would be intersting...but as a lot of the posts say there would have to be a medical breakthrough..which who knows..it might have been achived given the new tech advancedments:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I always found it a little unsettling that Neelix was banging a one-year-old.

Anyways, I'm curious as to the OP's reasoning for finding the Ocampans so interesting, at least compared to the other choices in the game. Not putting down your opinion, just curious.
  • Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why would you want to play an Ocampa? You'd just be forced to roll a new character after a decade of gameplay.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What is this knocking of the Pakleds I am reading.

I bet your ship does not go. And you are not strong.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    Anyways, I'm curious as to the OP's reasoning for finding the Ocampans so interesting, at least compared to the other choices in the game. Not putting down your opinion, just curious.

I'll do my best to answer your query.

I find it fascinating that the Ocampans are polite and soft-spoken, but if they're really pushed, they're quite formidable enemies.
    Especially when you factor in their mental strength as compared to other species.
    I found it interesting that they were physically frail by comparision to other species, yet their psychic abilities were so formidable that it made them quite intimidating if they chose to use them.

There's this scene which I find particularly memorable.
    An alien warlord has transferred himself into Kes' body and is controlling her.
    But over time, his control is slipping.
    There's a certain scene where Kes draws him into a mental battle and she's overwhelming him with the sheer strength of her mind. He's seconds from death when his medical aide has to intervene to stop the battle.

And I'm hoping to see that reflected in Star Trek Online gameplay somehow.
    A race that isn't all that imposing to look at, but are incredibly deadly with the power of their will and psychic abilities.

Mind you, I'm not sure if they'll actually implement the Ocampan psychic abilities, that might be tricky to do!
    Also, the series established that it's not easy for an Ocampan to master their abilities, so they might not have them at all.

But that wouldn't be any fun at all.
    If they had none of their mental abilities, what's to set them apart from any other telepathic race like Vulcans or Letheans?

The power I'd like to see most is the one I call Ocampan Deathgrip.
    It basically lifts an enemy off the ground and causes several blood vessels in the head to pop.
    The one time Kes uses it, she inflicts severe pain on her enemy.
    It's also hinted at had Kes not shown mercy and released him, she could have maintained and intensified the Deathgrip until he died.

But unsure if they could introduce an ability like that, since it would effectively immobilize the target, cause a DOT injury while in use and inflict a weakened state when it expired.

Would be fun though!
    I'd love to Ocampan Deathgrip an Elite Tac Borg, just for laughs.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    The power I'd like to see most is the one I call Ocampan Deathgrip.
    It basically lifts an enemy off the ground and causes several blood vessels in the head to pop.
    The one time Kes uses it, she inflicts severe pain on her enemy.
    It's also hinted at had Kes not shown mercy and released him, she could have maintained and intensified the Deathgrip until he died.

But unsure if they could introduce an ability like that, since it would effectively immobilize the target, cause a DOT injury while in use and inflict a weakened state when it expired.

Would be fun though!
    I'd love to Ocampan Deathgrip an Elite Tac Borg, just for laughs.

Elite Tactical Borg: "Resistance is-GHAKK.....HIDEBU!!!"
  • Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sumghai wrote: »
    Elite Tactical Borg: "Resistance is-GHAKK.....HIDEBU!!!"

That would've made me lose my lunch if it didn't look so ridiculous.
  • Options
    lterlter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Doenst have the Ocampa females a huge va gina in their backs?Well, I'm sure I dont want it.
  • Options
    waarderwaarder Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    lter wrote: »
    Doenst have the Ocampa females a huge va gina in their backs?Well, I'm sure I dont want it.

eh.....nope.
    They deliver there baby's via there eh back.
    But they consieve via there hands :P
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    9 Years...

Of cause by then, you have to start considering funeral arrangements for them.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    lordvalecortezlordvalecortez Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Is no one else concerned about the fact the race is dying out one generation at a time. If the female can only give birth to one child in her entire life, then the population gets cut in half every generation. In good conscience I can not advocate the admittance of an endangered species to Star Fleet.
    Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Actually, single births amongst the Ocampans are rare.
    The norm is for twins and triplets to be born.

And who says they only have 1 birth per female?
    An Ocampan can remain fertile up to 4 years.
    That could be 4 seperate children if the Ocampans can regulate a proper birth cycle.
    And more children if the births conform to the Ocampan standard.

Kes says something like the first birth is mandatory, because an Ocampan female who has not had at least one child will be incapable of having successive offspring after the first.
    They essentially become sterile if they don't have at least one child when the Elogium emerges.

Also, do you want to be the one who tells the Ocampans they're not suitable candidates for Starfleet, simply because their numbers are low?
    I don't think Starfleet would discriminate like that or be allowed to!

• Options
    travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I, for one, don't want Ocampans in the game. I don't want Kazon, Talaxians, Vidiians, Vaadwaur or any other Delta Quadrant species to be in the game. . .not unless the game's boundaries actually extend to the Delta Quadrant.

Having the friggin Hirogen in the game is seriously pushing it (the whole Romulan/Hirogen thing never made much sense to me). No more Delta Quadrant species in the game until the game physically expands to include parts of the Delta Quadrant.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Oddly, I had no problems with Hirogen in the game.
    Until Cryptic announced they were were most likely revoking Hirogen as playable, I was looking forward to playing as one.
    Not sure of the logic there, Romulan faction playable races are limited enough, so let's remove 25% of the options!

While they never specifically talk about the Hirogen drive technology, when Voyager downloaded a Hirogen course history file, it showed the Hirogen vessel had travelled over great distances in a relavitively short time.

So, I'm thinking that Hirogen vessels do have the capability to reach other quadrants if they push their drives hard enough.

Also, it has been established that the Ocampans and the Talaxians are already maintaining a presence in the Alpha Quadrant.
    Because there are diplomatic missions relating to negotiating with their governing bodies.
    With the advancement of travel technology in Star Trek Online, there are many ways they could have relocated to the Alpha Quadrant.

The first and simplest is they just used the Omega Transwarp Conduit.

Or alteratively, they could have used a Slipstream Drive to reach the Alpha Quadrant.
    It is a Delta Quadrant technology, after all.

It was a plot point that the Ocampans could only live in the City provided by the Caretaker for a limited time, because the stored power he transferred to them before his demise had a limited time.
    By the time of STO, this power would have been exhausted.

Which would have motivated them to leave, especially since the area of space they lived in wasn't exactly hospitable.

• Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    Oddly, I had no problems with Hirogen in the game.
    Until Cryptic announced they were were most likely revoking Hirogen as playable, I was looking forward to playing as one.
    Not sure of the logic there, Romulan faction playable races are limited enough, so let's remove 25% of the options!

Well if Romulan faction becomes playable it may be that one of the race choices is Hirogen, could explain why.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    You can more or less make a Hirogen if you pick Alien as your race already, so adding them fully wouldn't bug me.

I fully expect that by Season 9 we will have a wormhole or a transwarp conduit or a dude with a magic carpet that can take us into the Delta Quadrant. It seems only reasonable to go that direction at some point.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well if Romulan faction becomes playable it may be that one of the race choices is Hirogen, could explain why.
    It would also neatly explain why you can't make proper Hirogen in the alien race. Those appearance options are reserved for Hirogen chars only.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sumghai wrote: »
    I'm all for more races and customisation for both factions in-game.

You might have noticed this already, but there is an Ocampan NPC at Earth Space Dock - Linnea, the secretary to Admiral Quinn.

Note that Linnea is also wearing the Veteran Uniform. Assuming she's about 1 or 2 years old, that's an amazing rate of progress through the ranks.

Then again, she's stuck working a desk job for the least useful flag officer in Starfleet. Even Admiral T'nae has done more.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Maybe she's one o' them Entertainment Holograms the Klingon missions spit out now and again. That would explain why the Admiral never leaves his office yet doesn't get any work done.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Note that Linnea is also wearing the Veteran Uniform. Assuming she's about 1 or 2 years old, that's an amazing rate of progress through the ranks.

Then again, she's stuck working a desk job for the least useful flag officer in Starfleet. Even Admiral T'nae has done more.
    huh? Linnea's not a child. Or did you mean that she had been in Starfleet for 1-2 years?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    huh? Linnea's not a child. Or did you mean that she had been in Starfleet for 1-2 years?
    According to Memory Alpha, Ocampans reach the equivalent maturity of a young adult one year after birth. So it is perfectly possible for her to be technically two to three years of ages by the time we meet her in-game as Quinn's secretary.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Ocampans are an "adult" by the time they turn 1 and have short lifespans. In theory without a magical medical treatment they wouldn't be able to become old enough to gain a high rank.