What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is there an ETA on Ocampan race?

2»

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    yeah, 2-3 makes sense, 1 does not.

Either way, an Ocampan can read a textbook once, then remember it almost flawlessly. That sort of ability would make half of the Starflet academy pretty quick and easy. That and it's entirely possible the Federation has figured out how to extend Ocampan lifespans.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hmm, people seem to be missing the point here about Ocampan learning ability.
    Well, markhawkman picked up on it, so Gold Star and cookie for them! ;)

So I'll restate it and hope it sinks in.

You can't apply a normal learning curve to Ocampans because they learn quite quickly compared to species with a longer lifespan.

If they were to attend an Academy course and keep pace with the slower students, it would essentially be like learning in slow motion.

Sortof like, I've read the course material in one month, yet you're going to make me wait 4 years to do the tests because the other students aren't that fast?

Starfleet Academy would have to be massively inept not to make special allowances for a species that could learn that fast.

I assume when Ocampans graduate, their progression through the ranks of Starfleet is equally rapid.

Because they're learning faster, they're able to take on duties and responsibilities much sooner then a normal Starfleet officer would be.

I would not be surprised that an Ocampan becomes a Ship's Doctor after 2 years or a first officer after 3 if they demonstrate an ability to do the job on par with the other candidates for the position.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah... there's sort of a gaping hole in that logic even by Star Trek standards.

Mainly, if that's how things worked, Data would have made captain in record time.

It doesn't work that way. Never has.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, that doesn't help your case.

Data doesn't age, so he can take his time working up the ranks.
    If he wanted to spend 200 years working his way up to Captain, he could.
    Also, due to his limitations of understanding organic psyche and emotions, Data is effectively handicapped in his mental development (or he was before he got his emotion chip).
    Which is probably why he was never considered seriously for the Command Program, a good Captain needs those skills.

Ocampans on the other hand, they are organic species, not androids.
    Besides, like I keep saying, it's natural for their species to progress this fast.
    If we see it from their perspective, other species are taking too long to learn knowledge.
    Who are we to say to an Ocampan "you're getting too smart too fast, slow it down or get kicked out of the Academy/Starfleet".

It wouldn't be exactly fair to have an Ocampan sitting in a classroom doing first year tests when they're already at a level where they can pass the fourth year tests, go out into the galaxy and be a valuable member of Starfleet.

Besides, there is a real world equivalent.
    Certain genius inviduals have skipped grades because they learned faster then anyone else.
    Example, you could have a child prodigy at age 12 in high school because they have to be taught with those who are on their intellectual level.
    Not teaching them at the level they are on just because they're young only causes problems for them because they get frustrated with how simple it is and desire more challenging tasks.

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah... there's sort of a gaping hole in that logic even by Star Trek standards.

Mainly, if that's how things worked, Data would have made captain in record time.

It doesn't work that way. Never has.
    Actually...
    Data was admitted to the Academy in 2344.
    He graduated in 2348, was assigned to Trieste as an Ensign for 3 years, then a Lieutenant for 12.
    He was assigned to the Enterprise-D as a LtCom in 2364.
    In 2379, Riker was finally leaving the Ent-D to Captain the Titan. Data was set to replace him as XO.

So... it took him 35 years to go from Academy recruit to XO.

Let's compare that with Riker. Riker entered the Academy in 2353. He was promoted to Commander sometime before 2364. He was offered a Captaincy several times prior to accepting his position on the Titan in 2379. The first was the Drake in 2364.

So.... Data actually had a SLOW career in Starfleet by comparison. An Ocampan who progressed as fast as Riker might make Captain before the age of 12.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited March 2013
    4 years Human time roughly equates to 50 years Ocampan time.

See the error there?

Who'd want to spend 50 years as an college student?

They'd have to be taught at the pace to which they were accustomed.

Perhaps even to the point of having Ocampan specific classes, taught by Ocampan instructors.

• hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If STO deletes your Ocampan character 9 years after the initial creation date, then sure! I'm all for it! :D
    edited March 2013
    I guess it's time for some point assassination.
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    I see the error assuming physical maturity equaling mental maturity.
    Someone that only have the life experiences of a year is certainly not equal to someone that have the life experiences of 18 years.

Like I keep saying, the Ocampans learn fast.
    What makes you think this only applies to intellectual knowledge?
    They can gain life experience at the same rate, by making mistakes and correcting them.
    Yes, lets put people with the maturity of a toddler in charge of a Starship, what can possible go wrong?
    If that was true, Kes barely being a year old should have been screaming like a baby every minute of the show.
    But for an Ocampan one year is roughly equivalent to 18-20 human years.
    An 3 year old Ocampan (roughly equivalent to 30 human years) would be mature enough to command a Starship.
    It's hard to make proper baseline comparisons since Ocampans don't get the physical signs of aging until they hit 5 years, a quirk of their biology.
    They are all dead due to 0 population growth.
    Didn't I explain this too?
    Ocampans have a high birth rate, their population growth is 200-300% percent per year, for a duration of up to 4 years for a single female.
    They all died because for 500 generations zero population growth and we have the hilarity of a species that due to cannot into genetics that could not sustain itself or not ending as inbreed with little genetic variance due to all the twins required to maintain current population.
    Seriously?
    How many Ocampans do you think there are?
    We only see a few and only during the pilot episode.
    There could be a lot more then we are shown.
    Certainly enough to be a genetically viable population.

The mistake you keep making and should stop is applying standard time measurement and physical/mental development to a species who marks time/growth in a different way.

You want to know the correct solution?
    If you hate Ocampans so much, nobody is forcing you to make one.

But for those of us who are interested in doing so, we're going to!

Final word on the matter, Ocampans are part of STO lore now and no matter how much you wish otherwise, they're here to stay!

And no, I don't think STO could get away with deleting the character after 9 years.
    First of all, ingame time doesn't equal realworld time.
    And can you imagine how annoyed a player would be if they maxed an Ocampan's Reputation, got all the set gear and a bunch of purple weapons, rare/very rare doffs etc only have all that deleted because of some pointless rule about lifespan which may not even apply anymore!

• mwgacy1mwgacy1 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    I always found it a little unsettling that Neelix was banging a one-year-old.

Anyways, I'm curious as to the OP's reasoning for finding the Ocampans so interesting, at least compared to the other choices in the game. Not putting down your opinion, just curious.

I was always more concerned she was letting him, he looked like he was the result of a very shallow gene pool and a rat.
    He was also incredibly annoying, I'm still disappointed I didn't get to see him air locked.