Install Arc
Options

STO Gateway: Feedback and Discussion

Comments

• Options
    commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    crypticpoz wrote: »
    Awesome! Huge thanks for being so helpful. I also only got the spinning circles, so I will check into that.

By the "ones you've most recently been on", do you mean that you've played them in-game recently? (Like this week?) We have a suspicion that older characters (that haven't been played in the client for a while) might be causing this problem because it takes longer to get them online and updated.

By recently I mean the last hour or so. I typically cycle through all of my toons in a play session doing different things on some. Some only for a half hour or so filling DOFF slots, others perhaps longer.

Is there a way to pare things down...say for your Bridge officers, list their portraits all on one screen (by "department" tac/eng/sci) rather than the full body scrolling bar. Then use the portrait as a button to click to their specific content generated page? That might shave off a little database draw as the system can duplicate the use of a single generated image rather than two.

Organizing it this way might ease future in game developments when we get First Officers and Department Heads. Then it is just minor shuffling and organizing.
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    On Firefox and Chrome, having Gateway open in more than one tab causes it to give an "Incorrect one time code" error every single time you go to a new section. After hitting "Close" on the error, the page refreshes properly. This happens on both tabs.
  • Options
    crypticpozcrypticpoz Cryptic Developers Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    One bug I haven't seen mentioned is when looking at your fleet's roster page, and picking a category to sort, then going through the pages (i.e. looking at the 31-40th people) it'll take you back to the first page (listing people #1-10). This can happen anywhere from approximately 1-20 seconds on it.

I'm using Windows 7 and Google Chrome.

Thanks for the report! This is bug caused by live updating. Probably someone in the Fleet is doing something which modifies the fleet. This causes an update to get sent to you and the screen refreshes. We will be fixing this so that the screen doesn't lose which page you're on.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    felderburg wrote: »
    On Firefox and Chrome, having Gateway open in more than one tab causes it to give an "Incorrect one time code" error every single time you go to a new section. After hitting "Close" on the error, the page refreshes properly. This happens on both tabs.

The incorrect "one time code" message is a known bug.

At the moment, Gateway doesn't support being open in the same browser multiple times very well. We're working on it.
  • Options
    amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    When you view the ship stations and look at the bridge officer powers, they are out of order inregards to the tier of the power, for instance:

My Lieutenant Commander Tactical Officer (on my Assault Cruise Refit) has the powers:

Tactical Team I
    Beam: Fire At Will II
    Torpedo: High Yield III
    Cannon: Rapid Fire III

But in Gateway when viewing my ships stations the powers are ordered:

Torpedo: High Yield III
    Beam: Fire At Will II
    Tactical Team I
    Cannon: Rapid Fire III

It would appear the the first 3 powers are reversed (listed from LtCmdr. power to Ens. power) and this hold true for all of my other officers. Interestingly the Commander power is in the correct spot.

I'd also appreciate it if the stations were listed (descending from top to bottom) by rank, ie Commander at the top and any Ens. stations at the bottom.

Also unrelated to the above, I'd like to see the character limit banish from the Biography section of my character sheet and I'd like the ability to edit my Bio from Gateway on the Captain Profile page.

Also the Captain Profile page has a section for Traits, but nothing displays under that section.

I can only imagine that this next thing is coming with the DOff implementation, but I'd like to be able to at least see my Commendation progress and ranks through Gateway.
    7NGGeUP.png

• Options
    blznfunblznfun Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Fleet information is considerably restricted for non-members. We left in the basics that would help in recruiting.

Non-members can see: fleet name, creation date, MotD, description, website, member count, minimum rank, recruiting message, and those in the roster that are allowed to invite new members. They can't see rank and file members of the fleet, fleet events, calendar, or activity logs.

Do you think we should also restrict the MotD (message of the day) and general description? Or maybe just the MotD?

Well there is a "recruiting" and "information" section to every fleet. Information should only be viewable to fleet members as this is where most fleets post their private information such as teamspeak addresses and passwords to said server.

Recruiting should be shown, but not MoTD. Again, sometimes the MoTD is just intended for fleet members.

At least this is the way it works in my fleet...
    jeremy-t_doff_signiture5635.jpg
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
    Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    cehus wrote: »
    It would be nice if you left it to the fleets what was visible and what wasn't.

I second this...

2nd point was not acknowledged about bringing in-game mail back to the gateway so we can check our in-game mail box while we are away from the game. Being able to respond as well in that system. Having a "sent" box would be a plus both on the gateway and in-game.

3rd point: Can we get the ability to search by "@handle" or see a list of all un-hidden characters that are tied to the same account when we visit a single toon's gateway profile? For example, you visit John@DoeRayMe's gateway profile. There is a link to "other characters" by this member. Or even more simply, where "character@handle" shows in the in url, a way to change that (just like fleets) to "@handle" only.

BTW, AWESOME JOB on the gateway so far. I really like it. Clean, useful and fun...
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
  • Options
    hawkhirsthawkhirst Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I didnt even know about this till now, but I like it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Win7 64bit | nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti | 12GB Corsair 1600MHz Tri-Chan DDR3
    Intel i7 920 (Bloomfield) 2.67GHz QCore | Gigabyte EX58-UD5 | Creative SB 5.1 X-Fi
  • Options
    zeus#0893 zeus Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am getting the following error when I use Internet Explorer 9...

"You have Encountered an Error

Loading timeout

The resource you requested wasn't received in a reasonable time. You can refresh the page and try again.

Click here to go to Character Select"

Nothing is working in IE 9, but when I use Firefox everything works fine.

Zeus
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zeus16nbs wrote: »
    I am getting the following error when I use Internet Explorer 9...

Loading timeout

The resource you requested wasn't received in a reasonable time. You can refresh the page and try again.

Nothing is working in IE 9, but when I use Firefox everything works fine.

Zeus

I get the same error using Google Chrome (forgive me, I don't have the numbers but I know it's the most current version).

Once I "click here" then everything works fine.
  • Options
    kajereillockajereilloc Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I can't seem to post anywhere else, so I'm hoping someone could forward this to a moderator/community leader.

Firstly, I'm unable to post new threads. I get a message that my account has not been set up with the required privileges.

Secondly, I have been barred from posting messages on the STO Facebook page. Why? I believe it may have something to do with me posting a request for non-PvP content and more single-player centric additions.

Are the two, perhaps, connected? Are STO developers so closed minded and so afraid of challenge that they've removed all privileges in a dictatorial style?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    aidy1972ukaidy1972uk Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It would be fantastic if we were able to assign our duty officers jobs via the gateway.

This sort of thing seems to be what the Gateway would be all about, however it just seems to be something you can view your character from while not at the computer playing the game.

Unless you're VERY attached to your toon, or know people who know the game and are that into it they'd want to see what your character wears and uses kit and weapon wise, the Gateway is pretty pointless.

This isn't intended to be negative, as I personally love the idea of the Gateway, I just wish a lot more useful stuff could be done with it.

Also, would it be possible to do away with the verification stuff, on my phone's stock browser (Android ICS) the verification page goes nuts when trying to input code and browser name. I understand the need for security, however since you can't do anything to the characters in game via gateway once you're logged in (yet, and I do hope "yet" is a "soon") then the over need for this seems redundant.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm getting the following error on firefox 18.0.2 on windows 7x64.

Loading timeout

Happens every time on every character. It gets to the character select screen without an issue, but cannon advance past the "loading your command console" screen with the flashy bits in the middle.

I get the same error using Google Chrome (forgive me, I don't have the numbers but I know it's the most current version).

The same error as what I get. Sadly, it doesn't work when I hit the "click here" part of the error message. It just goes into the same loop again.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    aidy1972uk wrote: »
    It would be fantastic if we were able to assign our duty officers jobs via the gateway.

This sort of thing seems to be what the Gateway would be all about, however it just seems to be something you can view your character from while not at the computer playing the game.

Unless you're VERY attached to your toon, or know people who know the game and are that into it they'd want to see what your character wears and uses kit and weapon wise, the Gateway is pretty pointless.

This isn't intended to be negative, as I personally love the idea of the Gateway, I just wish a lot more useful stuff could be done with it.

Also, would it be possible to do away with the verification stuff, on my phone's stock browser (Android ICS) the verification page goes nuts when trying to input code and browser name. I understand the need for security, however since you can't do anything to the characters in game via gateway once you're logged in (yet, and I do hope "yet" is a "soon") then the over need for this seems redundant.

Many planned additions to the gateway are coming. Have you read the recent "Ask Cryptic" or something like that? Dstahl talks in many places about what is planned for the gateway.
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
  • Options
    indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Has there been any progress on this yet? I have the beta bookmarked, and was wondering if it has come out of beta testing yet.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    iPhone Problems with Account Guarded accounts

We have confirmed what the problem is for many iPhone users who get stuck in an Account Guard. When you try to log in to Gateway, you are requested for a code that is sent via email. When you switch from the Gateway page to read the email on the iPhone, the iPhone basically shuts down Safari and it looks to us like you've closed your session. We then invalidate your session and account guard code. Then when you switch back to Gateway, we start a new session.

A workaround is to use a different device to read your email and get the code.

We are working on a solution to this problem.
  • Options
    deyvidkdfdeyvidkdf Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    iPhone Problems with Account Guarded accounts

We have confirmed what the problem is for many iPhone users who get stuck in an Account Guard. When you try to log in to Gateway, you are requested for a code that is sent via email. When you switch from the Gateway page to read the email on the iPhone, the iPhone basically shuts down Safari and it looks to us like you've closed your session. We then invalidate your session and account guard code. Then when you switch back to Gateway, we start a new session.

A workaround is to use a different device to read your email and get the code.

We are working on a solution to this problem.

I am experiencing a similar yet different problem with my Windows Phone. I start Internet Explorer on my Windows Phone, load up the Gateway, and it loads the log in screen. I enter my username and password then it switches to the "Accessing" screen with the animated bars. That's it.

I have determined that at that point, an email is sent to my associated e-mail address with the code. I have used my Windows phone to get to that point, then access my email account on my PC to get the code, but I never get the chance to enter the code into the Gateway on my phone. It just hangs at the "Accessing" screen, then times out. It never pops up or switches to a screen that would let me enter the code.

So it's not an issue of closing or leaving the instance/session of the Gateway because I'm getting the email code on my PC -- but I am not able to enter a code into the Gateway at all on my Windows phone.

(Using Nokia Lumia 710, Windows Phone 7.5)
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Any chance to see dilithium refining option added to the gateway?

Also, would it be possible to see character's skill point distribution?
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    itsrobitsrob Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I see that with the new gateway we are supposed to be able to contribute to fleet projects without being in game.

Right now on the gateway system (the live one) I can change the CHARNAME@ACCOUNT in the url and see anybody's toons.

Will overzealous fleet leaders be able to just switch to each of their fleet member accounts and contribute on their behalf, whether they want to or not?

Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    deyvidkdf wrote: »
    I am experiencing a similar yet different problem with my Windows Phone. I start Internet Explorer on my Windows Phone, load up the Gateway, and it loads the log in screen. I enter my username and password then it switches to the "Accessing" screen with the animated bars. That's it.) [...]

If you aren't getting the prompt for the code, then there's something else wrong. There is probably an incompatibility with the browser you're using. I'm sorry to report that we haven't tested on Windows phone.

We've had to make some fixes for IE8 recently and expect to be good for IE8 through IE10 on Thursday's push. This might fix your problem, under the hope that your phone is at least as compliant as IE8 is.

I will see if we can get more Windows phones in testing.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    itsrob wrote: »
    I see that with the new gateway we are supposed to be able to contribute to fleet projects without being in game.

Right now on the gateway system (the live one) I can change the CHARNAME@ACCOUNT in the url and see anybody's toons.

Will overzealous fleet leaders be able to just switch to each of their fleet member accounts and contribute on their behalf, whether they want to or not?

Just a thought.

If you view a character that is not yours, you see a restricted set of data on that character. Likewise, if you are not in the fleet, you see a restricted view of the fleet.
    If you are a member of the fleet, but aren't viewing your character, you can see the extra info on the fleet, but are not allowed to see the fleet holdings (or make contributions).

We hope to improve this hierarchy of visibility to make it more understandable in the future.

(Also not that the above is accurate for code currently in test, it may not have made it all the way to Tribble yet.)
  • Options
    oddloveoddlove Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have never managed to login to this system. Account guard keeps asking one time code - that I will receive by email couple hours later and of course - code is useless by then.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    oddlove wrote: »
    I have never managed to login to this system. Account guard keeps asking one time code - that I will receive by email couple hours later and of course - code is useless by then.

Account Guard codes are sent moments after the request is made. Maybe you need to refresh your email client to force it to check for new mail?

Has anyone else seen long delays in getting Account Guard codes?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    [UDPATE - I jumped the gun on this. The plan is for these changes to go to Tribble today and the live shard next Thursday.]

[Next week's] Star Trek update includes many updates to Gateway.

A major change is that we found a bug that kept many Internet Explorer users from being able to connect to Gateway. You would be able to log in, but would then get a timeout message. We believe that we have squashed that particular bug.

This update fixes many of the bugs that have been reported in addition, there is now support for contributing to fleet projects via Gateway. Here are some brief notes on this feature:
    • If you're in a fleet, you should be able to get to your fleet?s holdings page from the Fleet front page. Note that you have to access the fleet page from the character that you wish to contribute from. If you examine another character (say by clicking on their name in the roster) you will need to switch back to one of your characters. Do that by clicking "Change Character" at the top of the screen.
    • When you enter the holdings page you should see your current tier progress. Clicking on a tier should give you information on that tier.
    • Clicking on a project will show you the donation buckets and the progress of each bucket. If you have donation privileges (by default, anyone over a recruit should have donation privileges) you should be allowed to contribute just like you would in game.
    • If you are allowed to manage fleet holdings, you should be able to see what project is coming up next.
    • Each Holding should have it a Provisions page and a Leaderboard page which function much as they do in-game.

Known issues:
    • Currently donating Duty Officers and certain other items is disabled.
    • You cannot slot new projects from Gateway.
    • The donation slider displays incorrect values for certain items.
    • You can select project slots that are marked ?Not Available? ? however they just show blank boxes
    • Note that you have to access the fleet page from the character that you wish to contribute from. If you examine another character (say by clicking on their name in the roster) you will need to switch back to one of your characters. Do that by clicking "Change Character" at the top of the screen. We expect to make this less cumbersome in the future.
  • Options
    vykorprimevykorprime Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Very cool. Can see this being really useful, especially if/when project management features are added for fleet officers.

However, hmm, is the fleet holdings feature is only pushed to Gateway Test, or is it supposed to be active for the main gateway connected to Holodeck? Currently not seeing my fleet holdings on the main gateway itself (unless it's hidden somewhere non-obvious). Fleet page still only has 4 tabs, and I cleared my browser cache in case i was holding a previous version of the client.

Further, when I try to log into gatewaytest, the login fails with "probably because the one-time code was incorrect" without giving me an opportunity to actually enter a one-time code.
  • Options
    entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This morning's Star Trek update includes many updates to Gateway (which many of you have been checking out on Tribble -- Thank You!)

A major change is that we found a bug that kept many Internet Explorer users from being able to connect to Gateway. You would be able to log in, but would then get a timeout message. We believe that we have squashed that particular bug.

This update fixes many of the bugs that have been reported in addition, there is now support for contributing to fleet projects via Gateway. Here are some brief notes on this feature:
    • If you're in a fleet, you should be able to get to your fleet?s holdings page from the Fleet front page. Note that you have to access the fleet page from the character that you wish to contribute from. If you examine another character (say by clicking on their name in the roster) you will need to switch back to one of your characters. Do that by clicking "Change Character" at the top of the screen.
    • When you enter the holdings page you should see your current tier progress. Clicking on a tier should give you information on that tier.
    • Clicking on a project will show you the donation buckets and the progress of each bucket. If you have donation privileges (by default, anyone over a recruit should have donation privileges) you should be allowed to contribute just like you would in game.
    • If you are allowed to manage fleet holdings, you should be able to see what project is coming up next.
    • Each Holding should have it a Provisions page and a Leaderboard page which function much as they do in-game.

Known issues:
    • Currently donating Duty Officers and certain other items is disabled.
    • You cannot slot new projects from Gateway.
    • The donation slider displays incorrect values for certain items.
    • You can select project slots that are marked ?Not Available? ? however they just show blank boxes
    • Note that you have to access the fleet page from the character that you wish to contribute from. If you examine another character (say by clicking on their name in the roster) you will need to switch back to one of your characters. Do that by clicking "Change Character" at the top of the screen. We expect to make this less cumbersome in the future.

Nice! How can I check out these features? The regular Gateway link seems to link me to my Holodeck characters.

EDIT: Trying to get in through gatewaytest.startrekonline.com . Says there's an error "Log-in failed, probably because the one-time code was incorrect." For gatewaytest.startrekonline.com, I haven't used a one-time code since it was probably in the very first stages of testing.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    entnx01 wrote: »
    Nice! How can I check out these features?

I messed up. Coming next week (see above).
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I messed up. Coming next week (see above).

Ah, okay. Thanks for giving a heads-up, then! :)

How about that error for gatewaytest.startrekonline.com ? Error is:
    Login failed, probably because the one-time code was incorrect.

I get that error no matter which computer, device, or browser I use...even one where I've never been on gatewaytest.startrekonline.com .

Or is there another address for testing Gateway on Tribble characters?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    entnx01 wrote: »
    Or is there another address for testing Gateway on Tribble characters?

http://gatewaytest.startrekonline.com is the right place for Tribble.

Not sure what the issue you're running into, but give it a try after the next update to Tribble goes live.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    http://gatewaytest.startrekonline.com is the right place for Tribble.

Not sure what the issue you're running into, but give it a try after the next update to Tribble goes live.

Thanjks for confirming that. I logged on just fine after Tribble's update. I was trying to use Tribble's Gateway on Android 2.2.2. Navigation is difficult. The links for Ship Systems, Fleet, etc. don't do anything when touched.
This discussion has been closed.