test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Gateway: Feedback and Discussion

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited November 2014 in Controls and User Interface
This is the Star Trek Online Gateway feedback and discussion thread! Please post any comments or feedback you have about the system here!

What is the Star Trek Online Gateway?

Star Trek Online Gateway is a web application which lets you look at your captains, ships, bridge officers, and other data from STO. Eventually, you will be able to interact with Star Trek Online through Gateway without logging in to the full 3D client.

The purpose of Gateway is to let players into Star Trek Online without needing to start up the full client.

Visit http://gateway.startrekonline.com to access the STO Gateway.

Feedback

Star Trek Online Gateway is in early Beta, and we look forward to hearing what you think about it. Let us know what you're thinking by commenting below in this forum thread.

If you have technical issues or experience any bugs such as problems using Gateway with your web browser or device, please let us know by posting to this forum thread. Please let us know what operating system and browser (including version numbers) you are using. If you are using a mobile device, let us know which one.

Also, take a glance at the Known Issues below for a list of things we already know about.

Browser Requirements

• Gateway is tailored to work on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices supporting HTML5.
  • Gateway has been verified to operate on recent versions of Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer. It may work on earlier versions of these browsers. It does not work on Internet Explorer 8 or earlier.
  • Gateway requires the use of cookies.
  • Gateway requires the use of Javascript.

Login Issues

You must log in to a Perfect World account to use Gateway. If you don't have one, you will have to create one first. If you have a Cryptic account, but not a Perfect World account, you will need to create a Perfect World account and link it to your Cryptic account before using Gateway.

Click here to create a new account or link an existing account.

Click here for more information on account linking.

Cookie Usage

• A cookie is used to keep track of your session while you using Gateway. This is a "session cookie" and is not kept after you leave the page.
  • A second, persistent cookie is also used by Account Guard to determine if the particular browser install is authorized for use with your account. This cookie contains no account information.

Known Issues

• The list of characters is not updated after login. If you create a new character (or delete one), you must log out and back in to see the changes.
  • Pictures of bridge officers do not show the officer in their chosen stance.
  • Though Gateway uses the language preferred by your browser, there is some text that is not yet translated. Gateway supports the same languages Star Trek Online does: English, German, and French.
  • When used in IE8, Gateway is a fixed size and does not resize to fit in the window.
  • Kindle Fire: Using the back button disconnects the user from Gateway and leaves the browser in a confused state. A workaround is to use the naviagtion buttons in Gateway and avoid using the back button.
  • If you are disconnected, you will get a message regarding a "one-time code" rather than a proper disconnection message.
  • The mobile version of the fleet pages has an "Edit" button which does not belong.
  • Sound effects are not working properly.
  • On mobile, if you have no characters, the page will be blank when you log in (rather than saying you have no characters).
  • If you have no characters, you can't look at anyone else's characters.
  • Older Android browsers (vers 2.x, for example) are not supported by Gateway at this time.
  • Traits are not being displayed.
  • iPhone Problems with Account Guarded accounts:
    We have confirmed what the problem is for many iPhone users who get stuck in an Account Guard. When you try to log in to Gateway, you are requested for a code that is sent via email. When you switch from the Gateway page to read the email on the iPhone, the iPhone basically shuts down Safari and it looks to us like you've closed your session. We then invalidate your session and account guard code. Then when you switch back to Gateway, we start a new session.

A workaround is to use a different device to read your email and get the code.

We are working on a solution to this problem.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited February 2013
    As we've updated the known issues and some information in the OP, please now use this thread to continue providing feedback about the Gateway. Thanks!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Every feedback thread I post this: there needs to be a bar at the top or bottom that has the four main screen buttons. If I am at the main screen, and click "Personnel Files", I then need to return to the main screen before going to, say "Ship Systems". I shouldn't have to do that.

Rather than:
    Main Screen -> Personnel Files -> Main Screen -> Ship Systems -> Main Screen -> Accolades -> Main Screen -> etc.

It should be:
    Main Screen -> Personnel Files -> Ship Systems -> Accolades -> Personnel Files -> wherever I want to go
  • Options
    blznfunblznfun Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Fleets should have the ability to hide their "Information" and Message of the day. We used to have the information posted about our teamspeak in "Fleet information", but now that it is all public, we had to remove it and place it strictly on our website.

We need the in-game mail access back through the gateway as well. It was nice to be away from the computer and read/respond to mail that was received in game.
    jeremy-t_doff_signiture5635.jpg
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
    Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard
  • Options
    crypticpozcrypticpoz Cryptic Developers Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    blznfun wrote: »
    Fleets should have the ability to hide their "Information" and Message of the day. We used to have the information posted about our teamspeak in "Fleet information", but now that it is all public, we had to remove it and place it strictly on our website.

We need the in-game mail access back through the gateway as well. It was nice to be away from the computer and read/respond to mail that was received in game.

Fleet information is considerably restricted for non-members. We left in the basics that would help in recruiting.

Non-members can see: fleet name, creation date, MotD, description, website, member count, minimum rank, recruiting message, and those in the roster that are allowed to invite new members. They can't see rank and file members of the fleet, fleet events, calendar, or activity logs.

Do you think we should also restrict the MotD (message of the day) and general description? Or maybe just the MotD?
  • Options
    cehuscehus Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    crypticpoz wrote: »
    Fleet information is considerably restricted for non-members. We left in the basics that would help in recruiting.

Non-members can see: fleet name, creation date, MotD, description, website, member count, minimum rank, recruiting message, and those in the roster that are allowed to invite new members. They can't see rank and file members of the fleet, fleet events, calendar, or activity logs.

Do you think we should also restrict the MotD (message of the day) and general description? Or maybe just the MotD?

It would be nice if you left it to the fleets what was visible and what wasn't.
    Cehus.png
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Still not working with the IPod Touch 4th Gen and IOs 6.xx

At least I can enter my account infos, but always gets asked for the Verification Code. I have to leave the screen, open my e-mail account, look for the number, get back to my Gateway log-in screen, enter my infos again, I get another mail with another Verification Code, but my first code still works.

So after I use the Verif-Code, the loading bar appears and after a few seconds I get a time-out window. Server couldn't be rechead etc...
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Still not working with the IPod Touch 4th Gen and IOs 6.xx

At least I can enter my account infos, but always gets asked for the Verification Code. I have to leave the screen, open my e-mail account, look for the number, get back to my Gateway log-in screen, enter my infos again, I get another mail with another Verification Code, but my first code still works.

So after I use the Verif-Code, the loading bar appears and after a few seconds I get a time-out window. Server couldn't be rechead etc...

We have been getting a couple reports regarding Account Guard issues. We will check into it right away.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for all the work you guys at Cryptic do :)
  • Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    When will this be accessible for Holodeck? Seems a bit pointless to have it accessing Tribble when there aren't many players on it compared to Holodeck. I mean, this Gateway has been out for nearly 1/2 a year, if not longer, and its still only for Tribble. Would be cool to have access for it on Holodeck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,248 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It could use the ability to access and send mail.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    cynder2012 wrote: »
    When will this be accessible for Holodeck? Seems a bit pointless to have it accessing Tribble when there aren't many players on it compared to Holodeck. I mean, this Gateway has been out for nearly 1/2 a year, if not longer, and its still only for Tribble. Would be cool to have access for it on Holodeck.

It is accessible for holodeck. Just don't type the "test" in the adress.

http://gatewaytest.startrekonline.com/: This is for Tribble.
    http://gateway.startrekonline.com/: This is for Holodeck.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited February 2013

In my opinion there's nothing you listed there that needs to be restricted. If anything, I'd welcome more information in terms of the fleet starbase and embassy.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    cynder2012 wrote: »

It's out for Holodeck: http://gateway.startrekonline.com and has been for a while.

The Tribble version is a similar but different name: http://gatewaytest.startrekonline.com
  • Options
    palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have been able to access it for my holodeck toons?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Just an oddity, the fleet roster is very nice but there seems to be some sorting issues. For example, the ranks are sorting alphabetically and not in the progression order they are for fleets. So the name of the rank needs to be displayed but it needs to sort on the rank order number.

I also seem to be getting a large number of "timeouts" when moving around the screens. Something does not seem to be optimized and it takes a long time to load in captain images. I imagine this is a content driven system?
  • Options
    kempethkempeth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Also in the roster there seems to be a weird issue where the table starts out with all column optimized for width (according to content) and then suddenly they all revert back to the same width.

I second the ingame mail suggestion. Also:
    • Fleet chat access
    • View and contribute to fleet assets
    • DOff assignments*
    • View upcomming events (Mining, Academy, etc.)

For the DOff suggestions I see two problems: being limited to just the region you logged off in, and where to put rewards if your inventory is full.

It would be nice if the gateway could provide access to the assignments in all the accessible locations but I am aware that this would need to be protected against misuse. If it's too powerful/convenient it would compete with the actual game. Obviously as a first step it would already be very cool and useful to just have access to the current location, ship and department assignments. Later there could perhaps be an option to change the current location but that would block the gateway DOff interface for an appropriate amount of time to simulate travel.

As for the full inventory issue there could be an overflow area to hold things until the player logs in again. Naturally the overflow would be "take only" as to prevent misuse as additional storage
    Great! Only three left. Now all I need is for one of them to leave the room and then there will be only one left...
    Wait, where I come from three minus one still leaves two!
    Where I come from is a far more interesting place.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    So the name of the rank needs to be displayed but it needs to sort on the rank order number.
    Good catch. I put on it on the list to be fixed.
    I also seem to be getting a large number of "timeouts" when moving around the screens. Something does not seem to be optimized and it takes a long time to load in captain images. I imagine this is a content driven system?
    As you can imagine, Star Trek Online has a lot of data in it, so we added a timeout screen to catch overly long waits. We may have it set too short. I will investigate. Which browser are you using?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    kempeth wrote: »
    Also in the roster there seems to be a weird issue where the table starts out with all column optimized for width (according to content) and then suddenly they all revert back to the same width
    Which browser are you using?

Thanks for your ideas regarding future directions for Gateway. We've definititely been thinking in those directions as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    How often does it pull info? I have changed my costume and added a BO a couple days ago, but my character still reflects the costume and set of BOs of last week.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    felderburg wrote: »
    How often does it pull info? I have changed my costume and added a BO a couple days ago, but my character still reflects the costume and set of BOs of last week.

The costumes stick around for a day or so in the browser cache. The data should be practically live. A couple things to check: Are you looking at the shard where you made the changes (Holodeck=http://gateway.startrekonline.com, Tribble=http://gatewaytest.startrekonline.com). Does refreshing the page solve the issue?

poz
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Refreshing does not solve it. It is holodeck.

Also on the BOs: the arrows to scroll go dark even when there are more BOs to scroll through. This happens mostly on the right arrow, but sometimes the left one as well.
  • Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    toiva wrote: »
    It is accessible for holodeck. Just don't type the "test" in the adress.

http://gatewaytest.startrekonline.com/: This is for Tribble.
    http://gateway.startrekonline.com/: This is for Holodeck.

jeez im an idiot...i can't believe i never found anything on that...Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Good catch. I put on it on the list to be fixed.

As you can imagine, Star Trek Online has a lot of data in it, so we added a timeout screen to catch overly long waits. We may have it set too short. I will investigate. Which browser are you using?

I am using the latest version of Google Chrome.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I am using the latest version of Google Chrome.

Can you post the URL you're at when you timeout? It should have a "char(something@name)" in it.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Can you post the URL you're at when you timeout? It should have a "char(something@name)" in it.

It is actually not one, but seems to be when I am switching about characters. Some load in faster than others and I noticed ones I was most recently on load in the slowest. The worst one of the bunch is my main Shrvk. He can timeout frequently and it takes a while to load in images of him and his boffs.

http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(Shrvk@Commodore Shrvk)/personnel/captainprofile

This evening I tested them again. All loaded quickly except for him again. All the images remained spinning circles and never loaded in. But it did not timeout.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    It is actually not one, but seems to be when I am switching about characters. Some load in faster than others and I noticed ones I was most recently on load in the slowest. The worst one of the bunch is my main Shrvk. He can timeout frequently and it takes a while to load in images of him and his boffs.

http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(Shrvk@Commodore Shrvk)/personnel/captainprofile

This evening I tested them again. All loaded quickly except for him again. All the images remained spinning circles and never loaded in. But it did not timeout.

Awesome! Huge thanks for being so helpful. I also only got the spinning circles, so I will check into that.

By the "ones you've most recently been on", do you mean that you've played them in-game recently? (Like this week?) We have a suspicion that older characters (that haven't been played in the client for a while) might be causing this problem because it takes longer to get them online and updated.
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

side note: some websites/forums REALLY don't like parenthesis and some other special characters (#, @, ~) in their URL links. It breaks them bad (although the link above is simply an error in the [/url] tag placement). Is there another way these can be formatted?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why does account guard insist on asking me to verify my computer every bloody time I log into Gateway?

How can I disable/opt-out of account guard... its simply more trouble than its worth.

EDIT: Yes... I do have my browser(s) set to allow cookies. Yes, Gateway is able to set cookies. They just seem to expire very quickly.
    7NGGeUP.png

• Options
    kempethkempeth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Which browser are you using?

Thanks for your ideas regarding future directions for Gateway. We've definititely been thinking in those directions as well.

Using Firefox 18.0.2 on Windows 7 but the same happens on my phone (Android 4.0.3) as well (Type columns starts out narrow and then switches back to equal width).
    Great! Only three left. Now all I need is for one of them to leave the room and then there will be only one left...
    Wait, where I come from three minus one still leaves two!
    Where I come from is a far more interesting place.
  • Options
    phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    One bug I haven't seen mentioned is when looking at your fleet's roster page, and picking a category to sort, then going through the pages (i.e. looking at the 31-40th people) it'll take you back to the first page (listing people #1-10). This can happen anywhere from approximately 1-20 seconds on it.

I'm using Windows 7 and Google Chrome.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
This discussion has been closed.