test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update on Fleet Marks and Dilithium

Comments

• olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As a customer (PAYING CUSTOMER) my feedback its very bad.
    Yet another update that does more bad than good..

1 new bugs that we will have to carry around for months (temporal device...)

2 you have killed small fed fleets and wiped out klingons small fleets (fed may recover from it but klinks...)

3 more members of my fleet (i play klingon mostly) are leaving due to this game becooming a second unpayed work (btw they were paying customers)

4 you are really pushing away casual players

obviusly none of them will ever play another game made by pwe or cryptic (and this has already happened with another popular sci fi franchise BSG) because we don't agree with how thing are done here, we don't like paying something with real money and let you fiddle with it untill its useless (btw 19 real people of the 2 fleets I'm in will stop subscribing soon)
    Please don't regard this as flaming or trolling WE are just very unhappy because WE feel that subscribers are paying for nothing.

We love STAR TREK but we are tired of testing things on tribble, post our feedback on the forum and see that no one cares (c'moon i've read at least 10 post before the latest patch warning of the temporal device bug,,,)

I'm part of a guild (in Italy) that plays several games (and we review them as well on our website) we are mostly adults, we don't expect things to be free in life but they should at least be enjoyable...

I'm currently unable to pull in (STO) more people because of the bad feedback on the game so this seems to be the end for my fleet..
    Its a shame because I love everything (but wesley crusher) of star trek.
    We will subscribe for another month but if thing stay the same we will leave.
    Please I'm not flaming or trolling and if you think I'm doing it anyway please do consider that english its not my language and i DON'T mean anything BAD. Its just how we feel either you deal with it or we will...

I am actually really glad this was posted. I am sure there are tons of smaller fleets that cater mostly to people from certain countries or areas of the world that will suffer because apparently Cryptic wants smaller fleets to suffer to the point that the game is no longer fun. I have heard of fleets from Italy, Brazil, Germany, UK, Australia, etc. Many of them are fairly small so I guess this is Cryptic saying all those players aren't worth the trouble.

I am still finding it hard to believe that Cryptic is choosing to purposely alienate their player base like this. It's almost like we're in a movie or something.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • p41nm4k3rp41nm4k3r Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2013
    So you have removed any reason for me to even touch the foundry? I guess the jokes on you.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    olivia211 wrote: »
    I am actually really glad this was posted. I am sure there are tons of smaller fleets that cater mostly to people from certain countries or areas of the world that will suffer because apparently Cryptic wants smaller fleets to suffer to the point that the game is no longer fun. I have heard of fleets from Italy, Brazil, Germany, UK, Australia, etc. Many of them are fairly small so I guess this is Cryptic saying all those players aren't worth the trouble.

I am still finding it hard to believe that Cryptic is choosing to purposely alienate their player base like this. It's almost like we're in a movie or something.

What boring movies Do you watch
    GwaoHAD.png
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    What boring movies Do you watch

Live Free or Die Hard.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • tarkahtarkah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Actually, this change represents just the latest in a series of major supply-side changes in what has become a game of resource management. Do STFs have dilithium rewards or not? Are daily officer reports daily? repeatable? or nonexistent? What are the rewards? Which missions give which types of rewards this week? Ultimately, answers to reasonable questions, "whats the best source of <insert resource>?" have become too much of a moving target. And there are no soooooo many resources to keep track of - dilithium, energy credits, zen, omega marks, fleet marks, romulan marks, some of which can be exchanged or interchanged, some of which cannot.

Please, please, please, keep it simple/stupid. This is a game, for entertainment. Personally, I'd much rather be thinking about ways to optimize my combat effectiveness than constantly having to rethink resource acquisition strategies. Where am I going to get fleet marks from now? I'll think about that tomorrow :)
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    olivia211 wrote: »
    Live Free or Die Hard.

I remember more shooting shooting and not much typing in a forum

To stop a terrorist group John mcclane wil write a strongly worded letter.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Get more members or just accept that you will progress slower. I am in a 250+ member fleet we have about 30 people active at a time. We LIKE that it takes us a day or 2 or a bit longer to get projects going. We are working towards something.

This would be an example of the 'I'm alright, Jack' attitude. This change doesn't disadvantage you that much, so why care about how it effects others.

Gosh, a whole day or two.

My relatively small fleet would gang together and be able to do that a while back.

Now we're looking at weeks, if not months.

This is non-trivial.

Have some empathy.
  • eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Frankly I do not care about this changes...
    The idea of a fleet base and the reputation system are good, but the implementation is bad
    dastahl wrote: »
    Fact Check:

1. Fleets under 25 are going to have a hard time completing projects = by design.

is horrible...

Grinding fleet mark, omega mark, romulan mark, dilithium, duty officers... involves much work and is deathly repetitive. Moreover for fleets under 25 this is not hard, is frustrating, strenuous and boring. After several months the only effect it had on my old and current fleet is not inviting us to merge with other fleets but leaving the game. I lost several players in my previous fleet, all the time and resources we used to develop a tier 2 federal base and a tier 2 klingon base and after merging with a new one we are having the same problem... so I am not planning to merge again with a new fleet and loosing all the work, time and resources we used to develop ours tier 3 federal base and the klingon one, I simply have reduced the time I spend on STO, planning to stop paying a subscription and thinking about turn on my playstation again instead spending time on a boring work. My fleet's members currently are spending about the 30% of the time we spent 2-3 months ago.

I'd like a funny game, if I have to develop a base, I should do it having fun, it could keep on fo a long time but not iterating the same contents for months and even years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • perfectcrypticperfectcryptic Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Have you looked into how much dilithium is farmed and not put into fleet holdings? How many people are active in a fleet and the % they contribute?
  • f9thrykerf9thryker Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The ONLY reason people are farming the TRIBBLE out of Dilithium (hence your numbers) is because the Zen/Dil rate is so insanely low, people are hoarding Zen as much as possible while its still around ~1:92 ish.

If it was back up to where it was, ~1:300 or thereabouts, you would quickly find that more people would donate Dil, because it wouldnt be worth so much in this economy...!
  • admgreeradmgreer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I also have closed my monthly subscription until this issues is rectified.
  • tjexcimer500tjexcimer500 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    In addition to my previous reply to CRYPTIC:
    Just did a foundry mission, one that I've done before and I earned LESS dilithium! Over 300 less. So not only have you removed fleet marks; you've now decreased the amount of dilithium for the same mission I've done before.

As a good paying customer(57) I will say this again:
    Not one more dime until you undo this bad decision(58). :mad:

You state DATA as the "reason" this was done(60) - well DATA didn't understand human emotions(75). Maybe you should base your decisions upon user input rather than a bean counter with his/her head up their aft torpedo bay.

Instead of punishing those large fleets for making it to Tier 5 already and completely obliterating all chances for small fleets to ever get there this decade; how about instead making more content that people will buy? Another company used DATA often for there really poor decision makings and completely ignored their customers... ATARI(25)

In the end, we are your customers, we pay your salaries (33, 89).

57. Good customers are as rare as latinum; treasure them.
    58. There is no substitute for success.
    60. Keep your lies consistent.
    75. Home is where the heart is...but the stars are made of latinum.
    25. You can't make a deal if you're dead.
    33. It never hurts to suck up to the boss.
    89. Ask not what your profits can do for you, but what you can do for your profits.
    There are Four Lights... say no to ARC
    Fleet: 1st Order of Role-Players' Guild - gaming together since 2004
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Im glad they removed it, it was to much fun and i played the foundry the whole day, now i play cod black ops 2.

2. We will be adding more Fleet Marks, just not on Foundry missions. We will be making several changes up until the May update in order to bring Fleet Mark earning back in line: including reclassifying the difference between Events and Fleet Actions, Adjusting (increasing/decreasing) Fleet Marks with a focus on giving more Fleet Marks in Fleet Based Events, Possibly merging Fleets, Possibly offering other incentives for Small Fleets.

Great why don't you think next time and make the changes 1st, then remove the old way.
  • tebsutebsu Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    fleetmarks pfft.. they should only be given when a player plays with at least one fleet mate. because of this, the amount of marks given should be increased slightly and the required amount reduced a bit. also reduce the dilithium requirements and everything will be fine as most players

a. dont want to spend their dilithium or
    b. cannot spend their dilithium because they are doing reputation stuff or
    c. both

i am both. i am also a casual player (before all those money-bringing-content came online, i was someone who played like 5 hours a day but now.. maybe 30 minutes to one hour maximum). its too boring to play the same content over and over again so i do not play so much = i do not earn so much and as my personal needs are more important (ship weapons, MACO/Omega stuff) than the needs of my fleet (some graphic change on the starbase), i wont spend anything for the next several month (until i [again] grinded the best stuff that is out there.. oh, wait, season 8 comes and i will start over again..)

i havent been visiting my fleets starbase for at least 1-2 months. there is no advantage of being there (except that fleet store room).
    What ? Calaway.
  • assimilatethis02assimilatethis02 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ok, if they say set in their ways about "small" fleets not being worth their time, at least they could allow fleet alliances, similar to other games out there.

That way fleets could pool together without having to merge.
    Captain Jason A. Kendall
    U.S.S. Indianapolis NCC-94668
    90th Special Operations Task Force
  • philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited February 2013

... Snip...

We have a small fleet ourselves (with no cheaty dev accounts either) and we're only at T3 - so we understand how challenging it can be if everyone isn't playing the right content or contributing.

... snip ...

We appreciate that there is frustration about losing the Fleet Marks in the Foundry, but Fleet Marks were never intended for solo based gameplay.

... snip...

Removing the Marks from the Foundry needed to happen, and since it was scheduled to come off after the Anniversary, it did. We will get Fleet Marks back into more appropriate content quickly as we did after Season 7 launch.

I appreciate that we don't always make good decisions. We do listen to feedback and we do adjust in order to make things better for everyone.

Dear Mr. Stahl,

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to make some posts here. It is greatly appreciated. I have read them and you make some valid points.

What follows is my reply to whom I assume is a fleet leaders' post in a different thread that was discussing fleet progression that seemed to fit this thread as well... mostly.
    Oh... and two people getting all fleet aspects to tier 2; with Diplomacy tier 1 counting down; Recuitment 2 projects away from it reaching tier 1 project start...is not hard work?

Stupid... maybe. Hard work.... definitely.

What you don't seem to want to comprehend is that some people in this world do not play well with others, and are ok with that.

That some of us anti-socialites like to play video games that are Star Trek based, and that unfortunately the best offering at this time is STO, an MMO, how ironic.

I trust people I know, personally not electronically. As nice as you may be, and all the other members of your fleet may be, just how many are there at the top of your leadership? Are these co-leaders people you have only met here? Do you know them personally?

Some of us see this as simply a video game and not a social experiment. Yes I enjoy playing amounst / with / and against other living beings, but that doesn't mean I would invite them into my home.

We small fleets simply want the opportunity to "finish" the game. No I don't need to "finish" it as fast as larger fleets, but I would like to before the end arrives.... either mine or the games.

I have posted a scaled fleet proposal. I understand from some non-directed posts by people in large social fleets (irony again) that this would lessen larger fleets individual contributions, and agree. I suggested a Fleet Module Upgrade that should a fleet want to increase its membership, that the price should cover the discount we benifited from by being at a lower scale level. I even added to this an small additional tax to the completion time, inputs and fleet purchases.

I even have another proposal, the roach motel fleet. Once members go in, they don't come out. It would be scaled progession system like I have described in some detail, with your character locked to it forever. I would seriously consider paying Cryptic for this option. And how could such a fine fleet like your's have any issues with a few micro fleets finishing projects a full 6 months or more behind yours. We could sure help your members during PUG matches with top rate gear.

You speak from a tier 5 throne that some of us less social members keep seeing drift further away based on the Developers whims.

Please listen and try to have some real compassion.

And congratulations on your recent tier 5 fleet status. I am happy for you.... mostly.
    Are we there yet?
  • mancommancom Member Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    When you talk about averages, are you talking about character or account averages?
    And are you talking about earned ore or refined dilithium?
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I liked that there was a way to get marks without doing something that sucks after the fifth time doing it. :(

Also something between 800 & 1500 dil is not ungodly more than fixed 960 dil per mission.

Why not introduce the new alternative ways to get marks together with the removal? Removing one source now & planning to tweak other sources maybe in some undefined time in the future is rather... alienating.
  • arkyboyarkyboy Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Dear Mr. Stahl,
    Thanks for making another, IN A LONG LINE of mistakes & bad business choices, You people have once again managed to anger the masses of players in this game. Cryptic will not get any more of my money for anything untill this is back the way it was!!!!
    Signed, PISSED OFF CUSTOMER
    [img][/img]Screenshot%2067_zps8ijfhubt.png
  • kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    wasn't sure where to put this so i decided to put it here......I just ran the spotlight foundry mission "One too Many" and only recieved about 956 dilth....how does this "bonus" dilth/EC/ecpertise based on level (im at 50) work out?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • jadensecurajadensecura Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Honestly, I didn't mind the removal of Fleet Marks from IOR that much. Sure, it was a bit of a pain, but nothing my fleet couldn't handle easily enough. Changing up the dilithium reward system for Foundry missions the way they did might have made sense too, with some actual information on how it works, major announcements made, and a good few weeks of Tribble testing. What actually has me mad is the attitude they're taking toward us players, as evidenced in the whole tone of this message, and the 1984-esque removal of any Foundry mission that offends them.

If they don't think that the Nagus dailies ought to count for dilithium, I disagree, but it certainly does not mean that they should be erased from existence, at the very least they should have a notice available for a few weeks explaining why it was deemed appropriate to delete them. The fact is, they were my go to mission for testing out a new keybind, because it was a brief combat that I could do terribly in without penalty. Now they've done the same thing with all of the Unattended missions, they're gone without a trace, and that is not acceptable to me.

It's the same attitude as in the first post in this thread: "my way or the highway," anything they say goes, and even our own experiences and opinions are invalid. The whole point of that post seems to be, "Look how much more miserable we could have made you, now be happy we didn't and leave us alone," which is a ridiculous attitude for the makers of a game to take. The simple fact is that they need us a lot more than we need them, even those of us who don't give money directly help to make this game viable, and most of us have a dozen other games we could be playing instead, I know I do. I stick with STO mainly because I have friends here, but many of them have left already, and at some point it will make more sense for us to exchange e-mail addresses and go elsewhere.

The claim that people are getting more dilithium now than ever is also obviously false and ridiculous. It doesn't make logical sense that it would be true, given that they've reduced dilithium rewards for most of the things that provided large quantities of it. Better than logic, though, we the players have access to actual data on the behavior of a market economy under these circumstances. We can all see the Dilithium Exchange, and we all know that it used to sit at 200-150 dil per zen, and now it's down to under 100. There can be no clearer indication that dilithium actually is in short supply. Yet we are expected to simply accept that they have numbers which show the opposite, without having any idea what those numbers are or how they're being interpreted to give this result.

It's time we started having honest, open, and timely communication here, and it's time they started listening to the community, and listening before there are hundreds of pages of flame war against them and dozens of players leaving the game forever. This kind of thing just isn't helping anyone, and it could be avoided so easily. Because the fact is, if they'd told us when they added FM to IOR that it was going to be temporary, this wouldn't have happened, and if they'd waited to remove them until the replacement system was ready to go and explained to us in detail how it was going to work we probably could have had a rational discussion about it, and would not have had this universal outrage on the part of the community. As a matter of fact, STO has an incredibly dedicated playerbase, always putting in time and effort to make our experience the best we can, and that isn't a problem for the game as dstahl seemed to think (with his comments about exploiting the small fleet handicap), it's a strength for the community, and, if the devs would learn to turn it to their advantage instead of turning it against them, it could be a strength for them as well.

For a start on that, I'd like to bring up the problem of lag. It is frequently severe, often causing total disconnects, and I know that this is not the fault of my computer or internet connection because more demanding programs and other internet usage do not suffer the same problems. This is a big reason why I don't play as much team-based content as I'd like to, I'm not going to inflict a teammate who is unable to react on anyone, so there are many days when I simply can't do anything but solo missions. That's actually one of the main reasons I've done IOR so much lately, it gave me a way to progress in the game and help my fleet even on the worst days. This is an issue that I think ought to be addressed both in this case and more generally.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm glad to hear there will be changes and adjustments to fleet marks. it would have been nice if some of those changes had come with the foundry change rather than having to wait a while.

i understand changes are not something cryptic should take lightly, as you dont want to over compensate and have to nerf again later but players tend to be impatient and overreact and only concern themselves with what happens this week, rather than consider that it will correct itself in a month or two.

it seems you tend to think logically and statistically when making changes which is fair, but i would suggest consider players emotions as well when making changes, and it might nip these rage posts in the bud.
  • laetans1laetans1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    While I understand cryptic/pwe rationale behind the current fleet progression system, by allowing small fleets to achieve T5 (albeit slowly) while providing a challenge for the so called "Mega Fleets" I think a fairer system might be:

1. Reduce the costs on SB projects across the board.:D

2. Have special upgrade projects that are linked to Fleet size. And how I would see this is , basic fleet size is say 50 people so at this level you just run the upgrade projects and get your SB. If you want more people then run the Upgrade project that allows you to recruit anther 50/100/150 people and make these projects a little more expensive (To make up for the resources taken from the basic upgrade projects)

IMO, this would be beneficial to PWE because if people didn't want to have a large fleet then they can set up many small fleets, the benefit of this would be more fleets in STO. You could even have a merge fleet project with a higher (Current T5) project requirement.

Anyway this was just a thought I had, I in no way mean to offend or anger large fleets but what are your thoughts STO?:eek::eek:

P.S> In no way do I want/need an "I Win" button for fleets
    Being first at any cost is not always the point.
  • user839020189287user839020189287 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    it seems you tend to think logically and statistically when making changes which is fair

LOL, now you give too much credit due where it isn't .

Also, trying to downplay others feelings and thoughts on this subject does not invalidate them nor change the fact that cryptic has been ****ing with their playerbase for the past 3 years.
    "Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
    Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
  • solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm glad to hear there will be changes and adjustments to fleet marks. it would have been nice if some of those changes had come with the foundry change rather than having to wait a while.

i understand changes are not something cryptic should take lightly, as you dont want to over compensate and have to nerf again later but players tend to be impatient and overreact and only concern themselves with what happens this week, rather than consider that it will correct itself in a month or two.

it seems you tend to think logically and statistically when making changes which is fair, but i would suggest consider players emotions as well when making changes, and it might nip these rage posts in the bud.

Hah, just what I would have expected from you.

"impatient", "Overreact", "Rage posts."

God, your love of this man and the game is cloying...
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • therealcrinostherealcrinos Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Humans are by nature lazy, some call it being efficient. We like the path of least resistance. If you make something harder for some than others you're going to hear about it.

Suggestion: Scale the requirements based on number of members (ie less members = less dilithium/fleet marks).
    Path of least resistance: Kick everyone from the fleet, queue the project at cheapest rate, everyone rejoins. Profit.

Suggestion: Drop the amounts required across the board.
    Complaint: Why the hell should fleets who have already paid 5 million dilithium for project X bend over and take it if they reduce that requirement to 3 million? Do we get a refund? I think not.

I've been profiled many times as the devils advocate, I can pick holes in your suggestions all day...but I'm bored now.
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Fact Check:

1. Fleets under 25 are going to have a hard time completing projects = by design.

I get you want things challenging, that makes sense. That makes plenty of sense. But my interpretation of this is it's Cryptic's suggestion we all go out and join big fleets. Not everybody wants this. Yes granted I want my fleet bigger, but I don't want to have to add a bunch of random people. I'm having a hard enough time to wrangle enough people to do a private instance STF, let alone 25 to have an easier time building our base.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's attitudes like this that lead to games going down the drain; people too willing to pay for and accept mediocrity and poor decisions, while failing to hold the devs accountable.
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I only yell when things actually effect me I'm in 3 fleets all doing well despite the foundry, unlike some fleets we actually do things together and enjoy each others company we are not in a rush to get to tier 5 even though the KDF fleet I am is getting real close. so meh more Dil less work more free Zen I'm happy.

See mate,It cant just be me,you've been caught out again...:rolleyes:
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    solomace wrote: »
    Hah, just what I would have expected from you.

"impatient", "Overreact", "Rage posts."

God, your love of this man and the game is cloying...

much as your posts are what i expect from you too. feel free to not read my posts if it annoys you so much. :)

yes players are impatient, players only concern themselves with the here and now. maybe thats all they can do, but in a very short space of time, there will be more changes and everyone will move onto the next hot topic.

yes they overreact, players have been overreacting to all manner of things for years and the amount of hyperbole on these forums is silly. much like you every time you say the game is dying for the past few years. its an overreaction.

and yes they rage. happens in every game forum ever made. anyone who thinks there are posts that dont include mindless rage, swearing, insults over something as simple as a computer game is kidding themselves.
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Is it a possible side-effect of F2P that an MMO might make more money off churning new players than retaining loyal ones?

It would explain many curious decisions in more than one F2P MMO. Just a thought.

A thought that hasn't gone unnoticed by alot of us (neo,this doesn't include you mate :P )
This discussion has been closed.