What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update on Fleet Marks and Dilithium

Comments

• aegon1iceaegon1ice Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dastahl wrote: »
    Fact Check:

3. Data shows, most small Fleets are far more starved for Dilithium than they are for Fleet Marks. There is need for both, but more need right now for Dilithium than Fleet Marks - thus today's change. More Fleet Marks are coming - just not in Foundry play.

Then why do you still hold the refine cap at 8000 Dilithium per day? I don't get it. DL is the major currency now and basically you are artificially holding people back. You said multiple times that the majority of players do not reach the DL cap. Why not remove it at all then or increase it? There is just a really small number of players who dedicate their time per day to reach the 8k cap. Why punish this really small minority in fear of bringing down the economy?
    You need DL for nearly everything now. Not, just a bit of it. No, a ton of it. Reputation, Fleets, Gear, items, crafting etc. Why do you fear that the economy might collapse because a really small number (pitiful if you compare DL cost for the needed stuff) would refine more than just 8k DL per day?
  • darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So many people have made so many valid points, based both on fact and feeling. I could quote any number of them. I'm not going to, though. Instead I offer these questions for you, Mr Stahl.

Do you remember when the dilithium was removed from STFs?

Do you remember when EPtS was put on a shared cooldown with RSP?

I'm guessing you do as these were the most recent changed that instigated the same backlash as the changes you've instigated now. Those changes were altered because you discovered how unhappy the player base was, just as we are now.

Personally, I didn't mind the changes made to dilithium in season 7 as I could see that there were other options for obtaining it besides STFs. I even stood up for the changes but accept that popular opinion resulted in the change being partially reversed. These changes I can NEVER support.

You've stated that you've removed fleet marks from IOD with the intention of introducing more fleet marks later. You wouldn't be looking to introduce more fleet marks unless you recognised that not enough are being made available to players. This serves as an admission that we're being short-changed.

I understand that this game needs to change and evolve, however making a change that creates a shortfall without having a system to replace it is, quite simply, a VERY poor decision. Unfortunately for you, even if the new changes you make are better for the game in the long run you will find that this has left a sour taste in the playing community's mouth, resulting in all future changes being met with scepticism.

Where should Cryptic go from here? Quite simply you need to restore what you've taken out UNTIL you've properly developed the system that will replace it. Once you've done that, you need to actually learn something from this experience. Show us that you can learn and adapt, just as you always want us to.
  • jadzion65jadzion65 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How many here REALLY think the Fleet Mark system is gonna get better? That things will REALLY be like b4 the patch?

While I'm outraged...its PWE game and its their rules...

I lost all hope.:(
  • user839020189287user839020189287 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I guess I been too hard on Daniel "Fleet Marks" Stahl... uh, my bad!

He was only concerned for the abuse of the fleet marks and had to save them from the exploitative Star Trek community at large.

Good thing he stepped in when he did.
    "Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
    Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    solomace wrote: »
    When did STO turn from being a Solo friendly game to group/fleet game?

I remember when the Devs used to say their "metrics" showed that people preferred to solo more than group. The old "1 ship 1 captain" malaky.

Now it's all about the fleet.

Loved to see what their "metrics" show about the amount of small fleets vs large fleets are.

I smell a rat...

Ok, but solo players wouldn't typically be in a fleet, therefore awarding fleet marks for solo content is perhaps not necessary?

That said I shall miss the marks, I would at least like to see them on one foundry mission a day - I agree every half hour was perhaps absurd.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Everything about this patch was a disaster. Shame it doesn't have a name, like S7 did. I hope Stahl is reading each and every post in this thread. People power will prevail, like it did against the STF dil nerf!
    EnYn9p9.jpg
    edited February 2013
    Everything about this patch was a disaster. Shame it doesn't have a name, like S7 did. I hope Stahl is reading each and every post in this thread. People power will prevail, like it did against the STF dil nerf!

Valentine's day related name doubt.... hmm... wonder what could fit?

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
  • solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I understand.

So the simple fact is why doesn't Cryptic make it that fleets have a minimum requirement of 25?

I don't agree myself and if someone wants to be in a solo fleet of alts or 5 m8s, let them, but don't then turn around and say to these solo fleets, "tough", we designed something based really on 25 or more.

Moving forward, I think next week a bone will be chucked out by Cryptic and everyone will be once again thankful that they have listened, whilst Cryptic will clap their hands with glee shouting "suckers".

They know they have a fanbase that will accept anything.

When I hear Dan once again say "there are things I cannot tell you, but it's coming soon", I shake my head again.

Other companies love to tell you what's coming out months sometimes years in advance, getting the player base all stoked ready for it be it an expansion or new features. Cryptic just like to be plain Cryptic. That said when they do announce something, it's usually just a meh.

It's a pity that they treat the fans this way, but hey, if you stick around, then you really have yourself to blame.
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • miloflippermiloflipper Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Here's an idea, get rid of fleet marks completely and add a Project Mission button on the Fleet Holdings tab related to the project that the fleet is trying to complete. So diplomatic missions for the Embassy and combat/engineering/science missions for starbase projects.

The project mission button immediately creates a new map, like a challenge player type mission but not PvP, so there is no queue, and sends an invite to all the fleet members online to join.

Depending on the numbers you can get a 5-man/10-man/20-man mission to do with your fleeties. This would be infinately easier for Fleet Admirals to organize as an event, provide statistics on each member to say how many each did which can be used as a basis for promotion within the Fleet.

This is what I would call a Fleet Event, not what we have today.
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There are two additional big changes coming in May that will greatly improve a Fleet's abilities to complete projects, I'm just not at liberty to talk about them yet.
    See, with all due respect this has always bothered me with Cryptic's methodology, it often seems to be a 'yeah, it looks messed up now - but just wait! It'll be AWESOME!' And yeah, it often is, but we need to see the steps outlined if only as to tell us 'yeah, we're taking these out now, because we're going to introduce more fleet marks in....x.y.z in a couple of months'

Please, keep us clear on these decisions, explain them :) It bothers me when we get this sort of decision
    Fleet Marks will becoming common rewards for "Group Queued Gameplay" whereas Dilithium will be focused on more solo Mission Gameplay.
    But...I'll still be able to get dilithium from playing with my friends....right? Right?

Removing the Marks from the Foundry needed to happen, and since it was scheduled to come off after the Anniversary, it did. We will get Fleet Marks back into more appropriate content quickly as we did after Season 7 launch.

Meh, but why then? It'd been around for the best part of a year, heck it outlasted the console clickers! I'm just confused by the timing

I appreciate that we don't always make good decisions. We do listen to feedback and we do adjust in order to make things better for everyone.
    And this bit I grant you, there were some impressive post S7 changes.
    edited February 2013
    tobar26th wrote: »
    Ok, but solo players wouldn't typically be in a fleet, therefore awarding fleet marks for solo content is perhaps not necessary?

I started an RP PVP fleet but couldn't get new blood because the potential recruits wanted to join a fleet with an established starbase. When I did try to recruit ingame I had larger fleets make fun of me and some even said that I was just wanting new blood to use for FM and dil slaves...

My fleet was previously a banking fleet so was why it was only me. Was almost to level 1, too. Just had projects and a little bit of Engineering left to knock out... then the changes hit.

edited February 2013
    tobar26th wrote: »

True. But did all this change though when Fleet bases came out?

People were desperate for something new and Fleet bases were that. These "solo" people then became fleets but still solo. Nothing was said about what a "sweet" spot was, only that the larger the fleet the faster they could build it.

Let people play they want to play that gives them fun.

I cannot image what it's like to grind out fleet marks, but if it meant playing foundry missions over and over again, then let them. I would find it tedious and boring, but obviously some don't (or do, but still do it anyway) to achieve their goal.

Nope, this is about money pure and simple.
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
    edited February 2013
    So the simple fact is why doesn't Cryptic make it that fleets have a minimum requirement of 25?

I don't agree myself and if someone wants to be in a solo fleet of alts or 5 m8s, let them, but don't then turn around and say to these solo fleets, "tough", we designed something based really on 25 or more.

Funny, used to be fleets were designed for under 25. He is flip-flopping.

• psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    we left it in as a temporary bonus that would last up through our Anniversary.

Is this stated anywhere or is it revisionist history?
    edited February 2013
    Funny, used to be fleets were designed for under 25. He is flip-flopping.

Who -

"PWE want a full KDF Faction"

"Only some want a full KDF faction"

"We are making the KDF faction a full Faction"

"We are not taking away Dil from STF"

"We have taken away Dil from STF"

We are adding Dil back into STF"

Are we talking about "Judge me by my record" ;)

Nope, no flip flopping here, its what the CDFers call "things change".
  • cratchmastercratchmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • emt27emt27 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I started an RP PVP fleet but couldn't get new blood because the potential recruits wanted to join a fleet with an established starbase. When I did try to recruit ingame I had larger fleets make fun of me and some even said that I was just wanting new blood to use for FM and dil slaves...

For most players this is true, but if you can do without all the higher level fleet stuff and just like to play for the fun of it.... start your own and advertise it for what it is, I'm sure you're not the only one.

I personally like the fleet I'm with just due to the players, not how far it is in tier construction. We are lvl 4 but in fed and klingon, but if we weren't I would still stay. Grinding is not fun for anyone, take time to enjoy the game and don't be obsessed with getting the latest stuff. In every mmo there will be better stuff in the future.
    Say something relavant or hold your tongue
    edited February 2013
    For all I know he could be lying through his teeth

*Cough* ;)
  • bearodice1bearodice1 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Fact Check:

1. Fleets under 25 are going to have a hard time completing projects = by design.

2. We will be adding more Fleet Marks, just not on Foundry missions. We will be making several changes up until the May update in order to bring Fleet Mark earning back in line: including reclassifying the difference between Events and Fleet Actions, Adjusting (increasing/decreasing) Fleet Marks with a focus on giving more Fleet Marks in Fleet Based Events, Possibly merging Fleets, Possibly offering other incentives for Small Fleets.

3. Data shows, most small Fleets are far more starved for Dilithium than they are for Fleet Marks. There is need for both, but more need right now for Dilithium than Fleet Marks - thus today's change. More Fleet Marks are coming - just not in Foundry play.

Point by point responses:

1) So fleets under 25 are hampered by design. Wow, that's just bad design decision. That is a big disincentive for a small group of friends to get together and start a fleet. That's not amenable to casual players or those who wish to play with RL friends. Just not player friendly at all. It would have been nice if you had been honest about this sooner, say at Season 5.

2) Promises, promises. Rather than take a more intermediate step like a longer cooldown timer (3 hours, 6 hours, 20 hours) for the IOR wrapper mission as an intermediate step, a total void is left. So for 3 months, we have to wait and see what possibly flawed solution will show up in May. Let me fall back to two tried and true phrases on this promise, "Show me!" (thanks Missouri) and "I'll believe it when I see it".

3) If small fleets are starved for dilithium that again goes to a design choice. Perish the thought, but another legitimate option would be to lower the dilithium costs of those projects and balance that with a greater need for fleet marks which were attainable through the IOR mission. But again, this totally ignores the fact the current five fleet missions are unsatisfactory as a source due to a number of reasons: painfully low reward numbers, poor queue numbers on the KDF side, and also because the mindless repetition becomes boring rather quickly. The decision to force players into more grinding versus creating more viable and varied content for them is a poor one.

As a whole, not taking an intermediate step is off-putting. Other adjustments could have been made and explored, but that wasn't done. As a result, I for one will stop referring friends and members of my multi-gaming guild community to STO, I will stop spending real money on zen and drastically reduce my playing time in STO and focus on other games. Why do I mention this? Because the Cryptic marketing department needs to be aware that the actions of the devs does have an effect on their bottom line. Word of mouth of this will also affect the Neverwinter beta numbers as well, if what I have read in these threads is any indication. Look at how Snowflake-Gate in GW2 affected ANet and you can see how these type of decisions have consequences.
    edited February 2013
    Who -

LOL.

Thanks for the laughs! I needed some.

• frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have a proposal for allowing multiple fleets to contribute to the same project and share its benefits. It allows small fleets to pool their resources, and does not require scaling back project requirements (either by fleet size or universally). Since the proposal is somewhat long, I have put it in a separate thread.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=8082821

Please read.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Who -

Going to nitpick on one specific item here, the STF debacle. Stahls comments assuring everyone that STF dilithium payouts wouldn't be affected came two or three days (I believe it was two, but I'd have to go back and check) prior to S7 hitting. A 180 degree reversal in two days driven purely by internal Cryptic motives is not a "things change" moment, it's pure unadulterated lying.

Had it been weeks, or even months, prior to S7 then there would be room to argue the "stuff happens" avenue, but two days? Absolutely not.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    psymantis wrote: »
    Is this stated anywhere or is it revisionist history?

no its not as far as ive seen, and i check the forms 5-6 times a week :eek:

just been on one of my klingon toons n queued for fleet mark missions it took me one hour of sittting n waiting todo 2 missions thanks a lot cryptic for nerfing fleet marks from foundry this is going to slow down my klington base but think u new that befor the nerf

:(
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
    edited February 2013
    emt27 wrote: »
    For most players this is true, but if you can do without all the higher level fleet stuff and just like to play for the fun of it.... start your own and advertise it for what it is, I'm sure you're not the only one.

I personally like the fleet I'm with just due to the players, not how far it is in tier construction. We are lvl 4 but in fed and klingon, but if we weren't I would still stay. Grinding is not fun for anyone, take time to enjoy the game and don't be obsessed with getting the latest stuff. In every mmo there will be better stuff in the future.

I tried to recruit but like I said... No one wanted to help work on an "under tier 1" starbase and got sick of being baited by those in large fleets. They kept saying "why you trying to start a new fleet? join ours". I had my fleet for years so **** them for saying that.

I figured we would see new players in may due to the new JJTrek movie and was hoping to have a starbase with some basic amenities to offer the new blood. Was a simple and easy goal. Was pacing myself as not to burn out. Seriously, as an old power gamer, could have ground the **** of my starbase but I was taking my time and savoring the flavor.

Oh well, it's all gone now. Am just here for the rest of my night and will be on my way after this.

• psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Valentine's day related name doubt.... hmm... wonder what could fit?

St Valentine's Day Massacre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Valentine's_Day_Massacre
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited February 2013
    I am a fleet commander in a 500 member fleet , We use teamspeak and group every day and run your content.

We pick what is fun to run and enjoy we can pick anything.

We pick 99% of the time STFs , Why ? because its the most fun content in the game to us

The only reason we pick any Romulan missions is because ,,,,Were blackmailed into it by your design in rewarding romulan marks , Not because we find any of them fun

The same goes in spades for Fleet mark missions .......There NOT fun

Why not let us convert Omega marks and Borg processors into ( Romulan marks ) and ( fleet marks )

Why not let klingons group with us to Run Content ? We have a klingon sister fleet and those guys have a hard time doing content because the ques are empty a lot of the time while we run full 5 man teams

We have 2 work arounds to get them in our games I will not disclose because you may try and Nerf it but it would be easier to allow grouping for PvE content

Final word......If you adc the same reward to Fleet actions that you have in stfs we would still rather play the sTFs The fleet and romulan content is just that poor
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would have two simple questions for the Dev Team to answer.

1) With fleet progression the dilithium and duty officer requirements can be purchased with zen, or cash currency. Why then is it by design that many fleets are instead struggling with the Fleet Mark currency that I cannot make profit off of? That would be like limiting lockbox drops to being very rare and nonsensical.

2) With ships being a very large driver of sales why would the new most desirable ones be locked behind a huge grind and timegate? Those are one of the largest sources of profit and by design you limit the number of customers who can purchase them. Please explain.
    edited February 2013
    psymantis wrote: »

Was thinking that... good call!

Funny, my partner was trying to cheer me up and I am drinking my TRIBBLE off. I quit drinking years ago. We were going to have dinner and I been here the whole time. LOL.

DStahl, you killed my valentines day dinner, too! I am soooo sleeping on the couch!

• shontalshontal Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Seems that you feel free ( and comfortable ) of taking all decisions in this virtual world.
    But take into account that if we are not comfortable with them, something you do not mention enywhere, we have the "exit" button at centimeters of our fingers.

May be you should consider to make thing to happen in your way, and play you alone, or take into account the wishes of the community.

And, definitively, I don not like to be "monitorized".
    edited February 2013
    Going to nitpick on one specific item here, the STF debacle. Stahls comments assuring everyone that STF dilithium payouts wouldn't be affected came two or three days (I believe it was two, but I'd have to go back and check) prior to S7 hitting. A 180 degree reversal in two days driven purely by internal Cryptic motives is not a "things change" moment, it's pure unadulterated lying.

Had it been weeks, or even months, prior to S7 then there would be room to argue the "stuff happens" avenue, but two days? Absolutely not.

Re read it m8.

I'm not saying it was a things change, I'm saying that certain people will say it's a things change.

I'm in agreement that it was an out and out lie.:)
This discussion has been closed.