test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: January 2013 - Submit Your Questions, Please!

Comments

• mattdawsonmattdawson Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    1. Any chance the reputation system will be extended to lower ranks? Grinding it all at level 50 seems a bit wasteful.

2. Will you be reducing the XP gained from missions? Ever since you raised the base XP level (which hit about season 6) the time it took to take a character from minimum to maximum is extremely short now. A single mission can sometimes push you up 2 levels (though admittedly, you would be near the end of one).

Further, why do missions like the Winter race award XP?

3. Any more news on DX11 support?
  • ceekayzeroceekayzero Member Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Will the Pre-Season 5 (TOS) Gorn parts ever return to the character generator?

Will we be able to get an Omega Reputation Antiproton Space Weapon store?

Thank you for all your hard work!
  • sectresectre Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    With the time and trouble it causes to have to completely respec your skills every time we switch our ship, is there any way we will be able to dual spec our skills and switch between them at ease?
  • designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It has been one year since changes appeared in the Foundry limiting access to npc custom costumes to the races a particular account had unlocked, where before those limits were not in place.

We have been informed that this has been checked on, I just want to see if it is still on the radar or a post-it note somewhere in the office? Is there anything new to tell us?
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Think we can get some new outfits for KDF? I would love something different for my KDF. Maybe a female warrior outfit for the female Klingons. Like a skirt and other options.

Skant outfit for the Feds?

Other off duty outfits? Like ceremonial Fed outfits and KDF. They wore them on special occasions like our current military do.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • starfleetownsallstarfleetownsall Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i have a couple of questions. will we ever see some tactical mirror universe ships, what can you tell us about season 8 and will you ever put star trek online on tablets or when will we see a big update on the sto gateway?
    Task Force Spectre, Legion of Spectre, and House of Spectre is recruiting!
    I watch the only good STO podcast STOked Radio
    Want to learn more about any of the above? Let me know!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 924 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    nvek wrote: »
    Will there ever be a chance to have Playable Characters from The Klingon Empire playable in The Federation! I would love to Play a Gorn Federation Character!:D

Yeah, might do better to clarify on that. You can play as a Klink captain Fed-side if you buy the option from the Z-Store.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • robertusorobertuso Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have a few questions. Mostly regarding the ship interior

I have 24 bridge officers and plan on increasing that amount in the future, but a few things are holding me back from buying more bridge officer slots. Not all of my 24 bridge officers are visable in the bridge. It would be nice for the ones that are not on the bridge to be relaxing in 10 forward, playing poker or other games there or be in there quarters. I think it would be nice if they all had their own quarters which you could customize to suit there personality and whatnot. (can even be some kind of reputation system to do these modifications and what not)

Also, all my bridge officers are in matching uniforms i have chose, could we see an option to change the outfits of the regular crew to match my own? I can see this being done by a tailor on the ship and would simply choose the outfits being applied to (tactical female, tactical male, security female, security male, medic female.. and so on).

Also I believe that there should be a shuttle bay in the ship interior which holds all your shuttles and space pets and should be the point for shuttle selection instead of the transporter room. Also all ground pets should be in the captains quarters.

Also, would their be an update to ship trophies? I fly a dreadnaught and i cant put a trophy of one on my wall.

Also to gain more use from shuttles, could we see an option to deploy them from our ships as combat pets. can be in addition to carriers hanger pets so it does not take anything away from them.

I know those were a lot of questions, but I would be happy if atleast one or two of those were answered

Thank You

EDIT - Just thought of one more thing. Could there be something like a space kit? Im a tactical officer on an engineer ship. I wish to use commander tactical abilities since im a tactical officer, but i cant do that since i prefer to use cruisers. So like with the ground kits, could there be a space kit so people can use commander abilities of their career despite what ship they fly?
  • origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    support dont work. any way to file a bug report as to get something fixed?

sto team has increased and is increasing. have you dan stahl or higher executives considered recruiting developers and team of the star trek infinity browser based game that went flop? they were in different time era but people has star trek vision.

the captains table is good spot. any idea to put a reason to go there?

star fleet academy is great. any plans for updating it?
  • sc0ttishsc0ttish Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hi Dan,

when can we expect new content and/or tech in the game like a new series or the next Season?
    Is there any chance to lift the daily dilithium refinement limit for characters in small fleets? Or any other way to ease the pain of waiting days doing nothing but refining 8000 units of the huge piles of raw dilithium in one click, and then logging out? :(

I know that scaling fleet projects' requirements is a tough problem, if even you guys couldn't come up with a good solution for that so far.
    But in my fleet we're progressing slowly not because we couldn't gather all the goods to start a project. Despite the size of the fleet we have all the resources, because we're playing a lot. But since one character can refine only 8k D a day, thus spend max 8k a day on fleet projects, it doesn't matter how much time we spend in STO, our progress is almost unperceivable.

Thanks!
    Chev
  • frostyslyfrostysly Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hello, Mr. Stahl!

I would like to know: how does the process of making decisions on what comes next in STO work? Like I am one of those lonely Galaxy-X's out there... You mentioned in the last "Ask Cryptic"...:

Dstahl: Animation is working out the kinks in the Saucer Separation for the Dreadnaught and once we have it ironed out, we plan to have an update to promote the new ability. Adding a Fleet variant is a possibility, but hasn?t been confirmed by the ship team as far as I know.

Could you please describe who tells the ship team what to do next?
    (So I know to who I have to get on my knees for XD)
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have two questions. The first pertains to the Captain. The second pertains to the crewmen under his command:

What is the likelihood of the present Captain spec system being attached to the ships rather than the Captain? Stealth, Electroplasma Systems, etc should be attached to the ships making swapping between ships and buying more ships less painful. Captains should have the same pool of psychological traits that Duty Officers have thus you could fly a wider range of vessels while still having proficiencies and deficiencies.

We have a multitude of Bridge Officers and a plethora of Duty Officers. What of the possibility of enhanced BO/DO integration into gameplay? As it stands now both are little more than placeholders for keybound abilities and procs. In addition to this all BO's get upgraded to Very Rare if possible and given the cookie cut set of approved skills. Perhaps if BO's attained ranks of discipline through missions and battle it would be a more difficult decision to replace that Hardened Rare with a Novice Very Rare. Crew becomes disabled during battle via injury or death. Should not another Bridge Officer take their station? If another BO is not available then a Duty Officer? The VR DO's carry the rank of Lieutenant. We already have a First Officer, Tactical, Ops, etc. Could not these DO's fill out the departments under the Chief Medical Officer, Chief of Security, or the Chief Engineer?
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • argent007argent007 Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Mr. Stahl,

Will we be getting a unique Breen bridge for the Chel Grett anytime soon?

Will there be a "Cryo Lockbox"?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Can we have Saucer separation for Galaxy-X soon? Please?
    Any word on that annoying bug where your device powers disappear when you switch devices?
  • harbinger242harbinger242 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Question1;

Are there any plans on changing the incentives to be a subscriber/gold/lifetime player? What I mean is, quite a few other "Free to Play" games offer far better incentives to be a paying player than STO does.

Things like a bonus to earned credits/XP, increased chance at better drops, a higher Dilithium refinement cap (and I don't mean a 1000/day increase as a veteran reward), and maybe even early access to new content or other things, would be a far better primer for someone to become a paying player than a few respec tokens, bigger bank, and a space monkey pet will ever be.

Question 2;

Will it ever be possible to truly customize ships?

By this I mean, you buy a new ship and it starts off with say a 3/3 weapons layout, but would be upgradable to more slots for a price. This would apply to all the different equipment sots, with a hard cap on the total number of slots for a ship type. For example, you could change out a weapon slot for an extra console slot, or move all your rear weapon slots to the front (a Tac captain's wet dream), or even dump a device slot for an extra shield slot (with diminishing returns of course).

Don't even get me started on mix and match ships where the actual ship parts would determine it's base stats...
    Hull would be base HP amount, and turn speed, inertia, etc...
    Saucer would be base crew amount...
    Nacelles would be base impulse and warp speed...

I'm off to try and weld the front of my Tor'Kaht to the back of a Vo'Quv.... Muhahahaaaaa!
  • suburbanz71suburbanz71 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hi Dan, 2 questions about ships.

1. Can we the players get the Admiral Janeway SC-4 Shuttle with the Armor and Cloak ? That would be a awesome Shuttle, I would buy that on the C-Store.

2. Can we the players get a 2409 Ship Skin for the Excelsior ? The Fleet version is amazing with the extra Tac Console and Extra Transwarp destinations.

Thanks.
    U.S.S. HONDA ODYSSEY NCC-170001-F-Odyssey Class
    Commanding Officer: Vice Admiral Maximus@blueamdgamer
    Dedication Plaque: "By Any Means Necessary" -Malcolm X
  • charliescot25charliescot25 Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Is there any remotely possibility we'll see the Sovereign refit in the game that was shown on the very first trailer of STO prior it came out?

Also, how come you guys didn't give us the proper refit nemesis sov like the one on ST: Excalibur website?

And will there be an NX-01 bridge pack become available?

Thank you! :)
    [SIGPIC]USSDundee_zpsfcfe716b.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • jeffrobinson79jeffrobinson79 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I was wondering when the ambassador class will be released. I would also like to know if new interiors, and bridge packs will be released, like from st 1-6, nx-01, etc. I have been a fan of star trek all my life, and I would love to see these bridges on here, since they would go with the ships that we choose. the Constitution class refit shouldn't have the enterprise e's engineering section, etc. If these could be added it would be a more authentic star trek experience.
  • trooperntroopern Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    PvP Revamp? Is it going to happen?
  • juhans95juhans95 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hello Captains!

Please post your questions below and dStahl will answer selected questions from all those received. Please post them today as I will ship questions off to Dan tomorrow.

Also, remember that questions will not be answered in this thread -- answers will be posted in an upcoming "Ask Cryptic" Web Feature that should be released before the end of the month.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    I've been wondering what kind of ships there will be for the playable Romulan faction and will the romuland players then be Dathans followers since it is allied with both current factions.
    Peter J. Sammungs, U.S.S. Nordic Wind
    Eltosh Shamun, I.K.S. Garshatos
    Commander Lena Rho'lan, R.R.W. Haakona
    Ashley Williams U.S.S. Marcuso
  • podsixpodsix Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    < points to her signature >

I think you know what my question is going to be about.
    7n4nvF5.png
  • mirrorseacatmirrorseacat Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    May we have Cropped Jackets for Males?

May we also have Open Jackets without undershirts for Males?
  • admgreeradmgreer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    adabisi wrote: »
    I am a crafter. I have been a crafter in MMO's more then anything else. I have had to get my crafting fix in other MMo's because STO and its crafting falls flat.

Is there any chance in developing a crafting system more detailed??......thus far crafting produces nothing of value other then the AEGIS (that is debatable) and the SCi console that increases shield hit points.

The ability to craft purple quality items as well as items with specific traits would be something to look forward to. i.e. cap x3 shields or a shiled with true phaser resistance i.e. COV shield x2 vs phasers CAP

Perhaps create a reputation system for crafting that could include several diff factions and you chhose the faction you want to work with and can create special items.

2nd Question The reputation system is far too limited, The rewards for each tier are far too confining. I would love to see the game devs develop more options for each tier. Having only 2 options severely limits playstyle. Maybe as many as 5 or 6 options. One aspect about MMO's is the peronsalization of toons......

I too like this player love crafting and would love to be able via crafting or reptation system or Via a drydock at my starbase be able to say craft a Ens Tac console into a universal console, or Craft a Ens console into a LT, or craft a blue console into a purple one, (not random like childrens toy) Or be able to craft another wep slot on a ship. I would love to be able to take a lower tier ship that i love and with time grinding, resources and luck make it into something that will hang with the 5 ships. So I guess my question is if Crafting will ever incompass more that it does now, Will starships every be customizable or will we only get what we are currently offered?
  • ehgatoehgato Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hi mr dan.

1Q_ why is not posible to give to all of our crew 1 set of uniform for each class, always walking in mi bridge see random uniforms.

2Q_ The actual rate of game push us to fly always new ship even if we do not like please by whatever god u believe take a serius look at suricatas proposal this will give a new life to the game and a more funy pvp because no one will be sure what will face with only look at the model of his enemy ship(the link is in my signature)

3Q _ Why the Kdf dont have a chance to choose a path of honorable Warrior? all point to a Piracy or Marauder(not a problem if u play a orion character, but a klingon ...).

4Q _ Not fully agree with kdf suporting he most hated enemy (but i know house of duras was alied with romulans in the past, mi point is : Why this not triger a civil war???

5Q_ Can u give the kdf at least the chance to put our fleet flag in our hull for (c) store ships, also: why can have non klingon bridge in non klingon ships?

6Q _ Can yuo please update the Exploration Cruiser Retrofit and his fleet version. they are out of place the game is running a insane race in dps and a bigger hull hit point dont make any diference, and why the excelcior a older ship is more competive ship than a flag ship, at least reduce to half the cold down of the saucer sep....we pay for this ship and is not a cheap one.

Sry for mi english
  • rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Are there any plans to create an Undine Space Set?

I have seen this idea fly around the forums for some time now and the thought of myself and a few freinds, all with the sets equipted and then combining to use the Planet-Killer super weapon against Tactical Cubes in an STF gives me goosebumps. :)

Also; is there any plans to bring back the Android Bridge Officer?
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • athourstathourst Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Are there any plans on adding a reclaim button to the special ships that we get from the lobi store? And the special holiday event ships like the Breen ship?
  • elcrabanelcraban Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    If someone doesn't manage to get enough Autographed 8x10 Glossy Pictures of Q to get the Breen ship or someone collects more then the needed 1000, what could he/she do with the pictures? Will there be an opportunity to exchange them for EC or Dilithium or can they be used in another Q event (like next winter) or will they just vanish after Q's Winter Wonderland closes?

... and: Why would people want a Dreadnought with saucer seperation? If this would be properly done the spinal lance would have to go offline while seperated.
  • admgreeradmgreer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Why does the Breen Set do nothing when equiped on the Breen ship?
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ut oh I gave a month break from my normal ranting but.. It has been manifesting since Novembers ask cryptic so here it comes...

1. Any chance we get get some say content in Story like the FE's and Reputation systems that when you play the KDF that it gives a more KDF feel to it other than hey Klingon pick up those rocks?

2. An issue I have as a mostly KDF player is that its almost been a full year since the release of the Bortasqu' pack and was the only ship available through the c-store as an account wide unlock since then (not counting the temporal ones because like the story we get it was just a cut and paste of the federation time ships... It didn't even have a cloak on any of them). So the issue I see is I am being rewarded with dilithium but for the faction I play to get it nothing is really coming out like the mold that is being created on the federation side with ships like regent, vesta, etc. So will Cryptic by any chance have any inspired new c-store ships from Cryptic or PWE artists, ships seen in Klingon Related Scenes (Or unknown ones like the KDF ship that looks like a carrier that was towing an excelsior or an excelsior towing it after the first fight it had with the dominion, or even from this one guy years ago made a Klingon Recognition Manual that although a lot of the ships in it are not canon but being this is a soft canon game for example ferasans, caitians, the atrox, the vesta, etc... Now a lot of the ships resemble D7's Vor'chas and Negh'vars but I am not sure if Cryptic has tried to even get approval for this persons designs which looking at it right now there are 49 classes of Klingon ships from that manual that aren't even in the game. There is even one Klingon Carrier in there that looks like it might be some kind of Federation/Klingon Hybrid possibly that could be a starting point for a cross faction ship that could be viewed as an actual account wide unlock for both factions if the right licensing/permission could be given?

3. Another issue with fleets though I have is being it has been referenced in the past as the KDF being the 18%. Yet the KDF requirements for a fleet do not reflect having an 82% majority not part of their faction. Is it possible in the future that we could see where we still have our 2 factions but yet fleets could choose to be stricly fed or strictly kdf or do a different path where you could be an Omega Force fleet which both factions could join and sort of be a combination of fed and kdf content intertwined? (The game itself regarding the 2 factions would make sense if this were a TOS game or in the timeline of the galaxy X which its stated is part of another time line but the essence of how TNG and DS9 were always about they had their differences but always found a way to come back together... I think the game needs that though because the way content is being pushed out you tell me there is a war but wait wait wait cease fire when you are on new romulus...)

4. Would it be too hard to start putting in more of the commonly seen melee weapons for the KDF as well as ritual objects?

5. Will the discussed PvP Reputation System be something purely for PvP or will it also have a conclusion or continuance to the Fed/KDF war?

6. This is a suggestion and sort of question for this one. Crafting and the Game Economy I have this idea which may help or not to a degree. One thing I have noticed is that a lot of items that used to be Crafted heavily to gear characters especially with the dilithium tags and drops across the game crafting has been on the decline. A helpful way I would think to get people playing both factions and for the KDF to have a more important role in the game is setting up crafting for both factions to be rewarding on how you would progress in a reputation system and my idea would likely be sound if the faction war were to end. Where as right now you cannot have a battle cloak on a federation ship. Although per say if you had a crafting system where you had put enough into cloaking technology or even a reputation system for that matter as a KDF player that account bound items could be given to your federation character as a console to have something like a battle cloak. I just personally think that each faction should have their perks but being as it has been stated the federation will always be the more popular faction due to that is a majority of the franchise and any faction like the KDF or any future ones will really have to be intertwined with Federation game play to help the game and the companies behind it. So the question is will any of this be possible?

7. Last question is and this goes for Federation and Klingon characters because there have been a lot of GREAT looking Seige Destroyers in Fleet Alerts and I am wondering if those will ever be purchasable. I'm really into wanting to see the Zilant and the Fek'ihr one myself :)
This discussion has been closed.