test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ask Cryptic: January 2013 - Submit Your Questions, Please!

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited January 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Hello Captains!

Please post your questions below and dStahl will answer selected questions from all those received. Please post them today as I will ship questions off to Dan tomorrow.

Also, remember that questions will not be answered in this thread -- answers will be posted in an upcoming "Ask Cryptic" Web Feature that should be released before the end of the month.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Can you give us a release date for series 8, and a rough idea of what will be in it?
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Can we please have the Typhoon Class?

When will the Tholians be added to the foundry?

Edit: In the foundry I found a outfit called "Enterprise Maco" ... it has no costume model for whatever reason but still, is the enterprise maco outfit in development? or any other outfits (fed/kdf or both) for that matter?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    specter153specter153 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    will you be planning to add any new ground sets or maybe doing something smillar to the reputation system for the pvp revamps?
  • Options
    treadstone79treadstone79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    When will STO be released for Mac OS X?
  • Options
    pattonj324pattonj324 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    With just under 1 month until the 3rd anniversary of STO, could you give us any details about the event that you all have planned and will we be seeing the Ambassador and/or K'Vort Classes as playable starships?

...and could you please leak any kind of info on TNG and/or Voyager bundles?

-Patton
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    2 Questions:

1: Can we expect to see more varied or longer reputation systems? The whole "Select diffrent skills via choice and consequence" system appeals to me, and I'd like to see something similar, like... In 5 mins.
    In that regards, is there a chance we could not have such a somewhat limited selection of missions to earn marks for said system?

2: Theres a lot of bugs floating around in the game... Listing them all would take too long, but I am sure you are aware of them to varying degrees?
    Is there a plan to try to kill as many as possible like you did in one of the previous seasons? I mean assigning the dev team to focused seek out and fix long-standing issues while trying to fix them in such a manner that they are "permanent"?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    While the reception of the reputation systems has been somewhat mixed on the boards I've thouroughly enjoyed it, even if there are numerous ways I could see to make the two tracks better.

That said, have you considered adjusting the rank system so that when a player hits level cap they become captain instead of Vice Admiral and moving all the Admiral/General ranks to a reputation system that is worked through at the player's leisure and locking the level cap at 50?
  • Options
    theherocreatortheherocreator Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    1.Exploration revamp has been on the "wish list" since around season 1. Any idea when that will get onto the actual drawing board and any hints as to what it may (or you would like it to) look like?

2. Main story content? I feel like the main story hasn't been furthered in a really long time (I want to say Season 2, but I can't even remember). As much as I appreciate all the work that's been done revamping systems and improving the game, I would really like to continue the story. When can we expect something in this regard?

Thanks!
  • Options
    theemmisarytheemmisary Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    yes i got a good question- when is the issue of graphics incompatibility going to be addressed?

I've spent good $ on the game, and in the recent updates, it seems- even tho it says it still is- that on-board intel graphics for wondows 7 is no longer compatable with STO. it causes crashes/freezes EVERY time you enter a space arena of ANY kind. posted multiple tickets, noone cares enough to email me. Answer THAT one. :mad::confused::(
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Will the Remans ever get their own unique ships? I believe the Countdown comics provided a frigate design already.

Can you give us any info on what Season 8 will focus on? Will it continue the story of New Romulus, or will we get something totally different?

Have episode missions (not FEs, just regular missions) disappeared forever, or will we see more in the future?

Are you still planning to remaster some missions, or has that been thrown out in favor of constant new stuff? (not complaining, just wondering)

Are you still planning to revamp exploration?

Will we get to properly meet the captain of the K.D.F. Bortasqu'? We see them at Tau Dewa every now and then, but it would be nice to actually talk to them.

It's probably safe to say the Tholians are among the most mysterious races in Star Trek. Will we see their culture fleshed out, so to speak, in STO?

We haven't heard from the Undine in a while. What are they up to?

Why is the Terran Empire helping the Tholians? After that incident on Nukara, I would expect them to hate each others' guts.

Would it be possible to redo the KDF tutorial missions where you have to run around Qo'noS? It's really tedious and probably at least partly responsible for the lack of KDF players.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Will we be getting new Fleet ship versions of the Guramba, Kar'fi, Marauder Flight deck cruiser, Dreadnought cruiser, and Dykr science vessel? These are the only level 50 z-store ships with 9 console slots left that don't have Fleet upgrades yet and are being left behind.

Any plans for Romulan space and ground missions that are STF difficulty and length that would reward a similar amount of marks and dil as the STF does?

Will the compressed cryo launcher be balanced for ground pvp?
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    vyar1vyar1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Can you give us any information regarding when, if ever, we might see either:

a) customizable starship interiors
    or
    b) more "canon" interiors put on the C-store, like the Belfast bridge?

As the proud owner of an Odyssey Tactical Cruiser (including the bundle) I would very much like to see a full interior to match the Aquarius bridge. In my opinion it's the best bridge design in the game. But if there are no plans to release an interior that matches the aesthetics of this bridge, I would love the option to create my own.

UGC has already taken a larger role in the game with spotlights on Foundry missions, and it would be awesome to see this trend continue.
  • Options
    blu3drag0n1977blu3drag0n1977 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Are we ever going to get an open Jacket variant of the Odyssey Uniform?

and

Why would a photonic life form, a borg dude that can survive in the vacuum of space, or a Breen dude that has an environmental suit already, need one to survive in the environmental hazard zones?
  • Options
    robman5012arobman5012a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Since Windows 8 is the new current operating system for the Windows family, will STO be compatible with Windows 8?

Also will there be an *nix release of STO to target the Linux O/S? It would be nice to play it on ubuntu. :)
  • Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Will you ever release a Max Level TR-116, either with or without the shoot through walls ability? In the next six months?

What are the stats for the andorian ship, and when will it be released, besides in the next six months. Or for that matter, why is it taking longer that expected? Coding, art, just didn't have the people?

Will you ever release TNG style weapons? In the next six months?

Will you ever release any new costumes, any based off of TOS, TNG, VOY, etc? Civialian ones? In the next six months?

Will you ever be able to directly buy Lobi Crystals like you buy zen? In the next six months?
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    1) the sector Borg alerts are annoying as they are right now. Any chance of an hourly calendar event instead?
    2) can you give us a definite "yes season eight will have kdf only playable content" or "no, none at this time" answer?
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am a crafter. I have been a crafter in MMO's more then anything else. I have had to get my crafting fix in other MMo's because STO and its crafting falls flat.

Is there any chance in developing a crafting system more detailed??......thus far crafting produces nothing of value other then the AEGIS (that is debatable) and the SCi console that increases shield hit points.

The ability to craft purple quality items as well as items with specific traits would be something to look forward to. i.e. cap x3 shields or a shiled with true phaser resistance i.e. COV shield x2 vs phasers CAP

Perhaps create a reputation system for crafting that could include several diff factions and you chhose the faction you want to work with and can create special items.

2nd Question The reputation system is far too limited, The rewards for each tier are far too confining. I would love to see the game devs develop more options for each tier. Having only 2 options severely limits playstyle. Maybe as many as 5 or 6 options. One aspect about MMO's is the peronsalization of toons......
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • Options
    larsh1larsh1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Do you plan on creating anymore new episodes for us to enjoy? If so are the sooner, or later?
  • Options
    cidevantcidevant Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Any chance of PvP getting serious attention? The boot camp seems like a nice idea, but that's just a treatment for the symptoms, not the cure.

I'm kind of disappointed with season 7's reputation system. I'm just made MACO tier 4 but pre-season 7 I was consistently earning tier 5 rewards. If you expanded the reputation system I wouldn't mind so much having to re-earn what was already available to me. Specifically, do you have plans with adding Federation and Klingon Empire reputation?

Are there any plans to bring back the Omgea Force vendor, Roxy, with her Doffs, and ect.?

Edit: I'd also like to say thank you for the hard work you and the rest of the STO team does.
  • Options
    calumwilson98calumwilson98 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Any chance of A JJ Abrams pack (i.e uniforms or bridges) or extended terran interaction
  • Options
    robman5012arobman5012a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Why does the graphics 'flicker' in some areas? Sometimes in a map the background image 'flickers'.
  • Options
    nbs2vipernbs2viper Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    In a system where there is a relief effort such as new romulus. is there anyway possible to get some trade ships in the sector? or maybe a feringi IN ONE OF THOSE ABANDONED asrteroid bases from the fed/rom war. also make a daily mission out of the asteroid base if necessary... But trade ships would be nice.
  • Options
    acorianstarfireacorianstarfire Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Is there every going to be a means for those that do not want to join a fleet to acquire the same high-level "Fleet Variant" ships? Right now if you want the best ships in the game you have no choice but to join a fleet to get them, and most fleets guard their resources like nuclear weapons. How about equal leveled ships for non-fleet players? Also, what about content and events that do not require a player to be in a fleet? All the additions to the game seem to be only for max level characters and fleets. What about the rest of us?
  • Options
    thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Any chance of having a 25th century updated chapel like the one in TOS (Balance of Terror), for Starbases as an option or for our ship interior? Some of my BOFFs wanna get hitched. ;)
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hi Dan! When do you expect to run a comprehensive bug-fix on the original block of missions? Some of the Klingon War and Romulan missions are full of bugs, glitches, graphic issues and so on. In some cases, they don't work as intended with new powers and abilities.

For what it's worth, I am willing to play through again and compile a detailed list of things that need to be addressed... and I will do it solely for the in-game rewards (XP, gear, so on).
  • Options
    quadziquadzi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Has there been any internal discussion about either creating content which will require the use of Science & Engineering characters, or some other mechanic to make Science & Engineering captains useful? Currently, Tactical captains are just about all anyone runs anymore and my Science captain feels under-appreciated.

Also, has there been any progress towards breaking up kits or at least revamping them?
  • Options
    awesometificawesometific Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So I got that Raptr app that you guys pushed a while back that tracks how much time you play the game compared to your friends and got the two rewards. So are there any plans to add any incentive to keep letting Raptr track my STO game play or can I just delete it now?
    Fleet Admiral Marcus Red-Six
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    STO is a starship with many hull breaches left unattended to. At the rate it's going, we're looking at a warp core breach in the not too distant future. Will the constant issues that have plagued the game for the past 2-3 years actually be resolved? Will Cryptic actually take the time to adequately test everything that is added or updated in STO, or will we find more placeholder items as rewards instead of the advertised item we invested time and resources to obtain?

What is being done to assure that the quality of this game is being properly maintained? I have asked this question before and since then I have not seen any improvement.
  • Options
    grimus99grimus99 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Is there any chance of using game earned Zen to buy a month of gold subscription like you can in say EVE Online. Thanks to you and the team for all the hard work.
  • Options
    keeny75keeny75 Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    When you have completed featured episode mission a warning comes up saying " are you sure you want to leave map now"

Can we please have the same warnings on the STF's because the leave map now button always appears before the collect reward button. And I'm my haste I always click the leave now tab.
    Falling a non warning tab how about the leave map now tab appears 5 seconds after the collect reward tab.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.