test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why Is there no Cloaking console @ T5 Romulan Rep?

Comments

• puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    well, i would say that now more than ever in a story line perspective, the romulans would want to maintain the treaty that states the feds cant have a cloak.. ontop of that, they would never give up their most valued technology.. weapons are one thing, but in the show, the romulans are zenophobic, they dont like talking to anyone else, nevermind sharing technology, and nevermind sharing their most prized technology..

in star trek ds9, the feds get the romulan cloak on "loan" only to be used in the gamma quadrant, and only while a romulan officer was present to operate it.. well, if memory serves, the war broke out, the romulan who was onboard died, and that cloak got lost in the folds of too much going on at once.. further more.. (and i cant be certain so feel free to correct me "nicely" hahaha.) but after the original defient was destroyed, and they get the sao paulo, you never see the defient cloak again.. meaning that they no longer have the cloak... and that the romulans did not give them another one..

also in message in a bottle, both the defients wernt cloaked either.. the defient was a one time thing, and even ended up losing it in the end..

the future enterprise (or dreadnaught) had a cloak, but also could do warp 13, which has been stated to be impossible in voyager.. so that kinda flubs that.. lol.. the olympic class in that show didnt have a cloak.. nor did harry kims nova class have one in the same time line..

plus, that is what makes the game fun.. the feds cant cloak.. (myself being a fed i have no problem with this) its kind of one of the few things that immerse me in the star trek universe.. when im up against klingons or romulans, its like when kirk or any of the other captains would have a ship decloak right in front of them...

i would have to vote no to a cloaking device in the romulan rep system.. and further more if it were there, i wouldnt go scrambling for it, cause its another console slot that i cannot afford to replace with what is currently in my slots.. most defient out there, and dreadnaughts dont even have the claoking console equipped. which to me shows that it would be a waste of time and resources to create that console...
  • greyemilygreyemily Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i think i'll vote no also.
    i mean, most KDF ships have a cloak already, so it would be a console that would be pointless for most KDf ships.
    most of the consoles look like they are designed for any ship, so these would really benefit Feds most most.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited January 2013
    The Federation doesnt need a cloaking device other than the two we have
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    eisenw0lf wrote: »
    More nonsense from you. Nobody would care if a Romulan faction had cloaked ships, because that is exactly what they have in canon. Federation? Not so much.

/thread

As far as STO goes canon is a complete write off. Defiant cloak destroyed, Gal-x was alt timeline. Canon? I saw half of starfleet flying Breen ships in STF yesterday - the other half were in Cardi and ferengi ships.
  • amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I just got the Dreadnought Cruiser recently, and the cloaking device on that ship rocks! Even with no skill points on my character.

I can fly right up behind the enemy and they won't detect me!

I can understand the idea of getting a romulan cloaking console for helping rebuild their society. I see the logic behind that. You would think that they would offer such.

Yet then again, you may see it this way too, the Romulans have always been liars and devious.

They may be acting peaceful to the Federation and KDF just so they can rebuild their Empire. In doing so, they may , currently be acting as though they have got rid of their cloaking devices in agreement with the old Treaty that was signed by them and the Federation (back in 2300-something).

Their best weapon is there cloaking device. So not wanting to give that away, may be seen as unwise in their view, even with good intentions.

Never trust a Romulan though LOL.

So, though it would be cool to have such a console, I don't think the Romulans would ever agree to such.
  • xantrisxantris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Feds are never going to get widespread cloaks. I don't give a rats TRIBBLE how many cloaking factions are added to the game. You need to just accept that and move on.

Even from a storyline perspective, it's not like the Feds aren't capable of developing a cloaking device. They wouldn't need the Romulans to share tech. And the Romulans wouldn't share tech anyway when they are courting both the Klingons and the Federation (who are at war) for help
  • elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Proabably to the horror of anyone who knows that i support not giving kdf (GAMEwise) ""unique"" tech away..

I think there should be a roumulan cloaking device..

That takes up 3 device slots and works half effectively as MES2

:3
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,464 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You think our new Romulan friends - being pretty weak - in need of the Fed's help would offer up some of their cloaking tech?

Maybe Cryptic should add a "Romulan Cloaking Console" to tier 5 in the rep system.

I would certainly put out the 500 marks and 25k dilthium for that item. Heck even 50k dilthium! Maybe even more!

Plus, for KDF players it would give all those people with non-klingon ships like the Guramba and Kar'fi the chance to have a cloaking device as well.

Cryptic would certainly get a lot more mileage out of the Romulan content with maybe 200,000+ alts that are not now running the rep system - suddenly start getting used.

I think the T5 Romulan ability is close enough to cloak. Use mask energy signature to sneak up on someone, pump out damage, activate singularity to escape and repeat process.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Romulan cloak? Hmm... I'd be able to live with it if it had a few SERIOUS limitations. Example:

Cloak console at T5 Romulan rep gives 30 seconds cloak equivalent to a standard cloak, drops ALL power levels down to like 15 (kind like old MES) and also makes the ship vulnerable for the usual 2 seconds when it decloaks. Or have it drain Aux power for every second it's active and decloaks you once your aux hits 0.

I mean that would at least be a reasonable console system for a cloak that is able to be mounted on literally every ship. If you're asking for a full cloaking console like the KDF has then I'd be seriously against it due to balance reasons.

Besides, someone already mentioned it, the Feds DO have a cloak, it's called Mask Energy Signature, look it up and try it (run high aux though).
  • tajrektajrek Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think it'd work great as the 3-Piece bonus for the Romulan Set (Not Reman)

It'd go something like this

2 Piece Bonus
    EPS and Crew Regen

3 Piece "Cloak and Dagger"

Three piece has a Battle Cloak**** However as it was intended to be used on Romulan Ships only it's only 75% effective and last anywhere between 10 seconds to 20 seconds with a 5 minute cooldown .
    That way sometimes it fails ... even if it doesn't you only have 10 to 20 seconds with it and it has a long cooldown . That way it can be used unreliably as a cloaked alpha strike but would be more of an "oh sh**!" button since its a battle cloak to get you away from trouble... maybe... probably ....

Isnt the Romulan Set 53,000 dilithium and 1500 marks ? That way any ships has a cloak but it's gimped up and not Op'd
  • harbinger242harbinger242 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I still haven't heard a good reason why as a KDF player I'm helping the Romulans, instead of wiping them out of existence once and for all and just taking whatever pieces of salvage that may be useful.

They are the enemy, you crush the enemy, not help them rebuild their strength so they can fight you again.

Let the Feds have their friendly diplomacy. For me, diplomacy is a disruptor to the face. :D
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I still haven't heard a good reason why as a KDF player I'm helping the Romulans, instead of wiping them out of existence once and for all and just taking whatever pieces of salvage that may be useful.

They are the enemy, you crush the enemy, not help them rebuild their strength so they can fight you again.

Let the Feds have their friendly diplomacy. For me, diplomacy is a disruptor to the face. :D

yeah, it is pretty TRIBBLE that cryptic (even if there is to be treachery between the klinks and roms) would ever even think that the romulans would let klingons anywhere near their perspective new homeworld..

they hate eachother, they couldnt even get along in the dominion war.. they were contantly antagonizing eachother..

a more acceptable idea would have been to have the romulans and remans split, and the feds helped the roms, and the klinks helped the remans.. that would have been 100 percent acceptable.. and would have been taking a page from titan as well..

but this is what you get when you get one of the worst writers in the star trek franchise to write your story arcs... no attention to detail, canon, or even common sense.. when cryptic releases content like new romulas, i wonder if they have ever watched an episode of star trek.. (i know they do, and they have days that they watch different movies and episodes) but it makes you wonder if that was really nap time..

klingons should be at war with the romulans, taking advantage of their weakness, feds should be helping them.. regardless of what twist may be coming up, it was pure laziness. this way they can make one set of content, and use it for both.. pfff.. laziness..
    edited January 2013
    ^^this is why I don't want to hear any canon arguments against the console in the T5 Romulan rep store - I saw some Klingons running around the other day tagging the cute little romulan bunnies for research - petting them - taking care of them - no no no no no!

This should not happen - and for free?? Like nothing in return from the Romulans but their goodwill and thanks?? no no no -the KDF would not do that.

Canon and story and just IP are out the window!! So Romulan cloaking console in the T5 rep store makes just as much sense.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ^^this is why I don't want to hear any canon arguments against the console in the T5 Romulan rep store - I saw some Klingons running around the other day tagging the cute little romulan bunnies for research - petting them - taking care of them - no no no no no!

This should not happen - and for free?? Like nothing in return from the Romulans but their goodwill and thanks?? no no no -the KDF would not do that.

Canon and story and just IP are out the window!! So Romulan cloaking console in the T5 rep store makes just as much sense.

YAY! Time for the Borg to attack us with giant assimilated space dragons! (yeah I know this joke is not new)

To compound a problem is no solution to it and it's no justfication to do more nonsensical things.

Not to mention that the two things are unrelated.
  • derekanjo5derekanjo5 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Treaty of Algeron, folks.
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    you do NOT play a random space shooter, but a STAR TREK game with tons of LORE.

one of the lore points is the treaty of Algeron

Defiant got a cloak which was operated by a Romulan officer, watch the episode.

FED is NOT getting a cloak

as KDF got their cloaking tech from Romulans, a Romulan faction WILL get cloaking tech.

you wanna play cloaked? by a cloak ship, roll KDF or wait for Romulans

Qa'pla
    edited January 2013
    derekanjo5 wrote: »

Hmm - treaties are changed or amended all the time - especially when one side falls into deep trouble and needs the others assistence. A lot of cold-war stuff went out the window when the USSR collapsed and they needed American financial support, nuclear weapons techs to dismantel aging soviet weapons, and a whole lot of other American support on the ground.
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hmm - treaties are changed or amended all the time - especially when one side falls into deep trouble and needs the others assistence. A lot of cold-war stuff went out the window when the USSR collapsed and they needed American financial support, nuclear weapons techs to dismantel aging soviet weapons, and a whole lot of other American support on the ground.

you just can't stop, can you?

which CONCRETE treaties do you have in mind? where did Russia need USA financial support?

you mean USA paying for spies and "international charity organizations" to be contraproductive for the eastern regime? you mean the USA soldiers "freeing" the world?
    are you THAT naive?

nuclear tech was developed by BOTH blocks - every block has it's own developing team.
    dismantling of weapons - it has NOT been a help, but act of CONTROL

back to theme: IF there is a new ST film/series with FED's casually having cloaking tech, then the FED's will get cloaking tech ingame.

Not even all KDF ships do have cloak.
    edited January 2013
    duaths1 wrote: »
    snip..

Not even all KDF ships do have cloak.

Now with this new console - Guramba and kar'fi owners can have a cloak too!
    back to theme: IF there is a new ST film/series with FED's casually having cloaking tech, then the FED's will get cloaking tech ingame.

if a new show comes out and Starfleet officers are casually flying - Breen ships, Jem'hadar ships, Cardassian ships, then they can have them in game - oh WAIT they already do!

if a new show comes out and Starfleet away teams are going on missions in robes and weilding glowing swords well then they can have them in game - oh WAIT they already do!

and this list could go on and on - what was your point?
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Now with this new console - Guramba and kar'fi owners can have a cloak too!

Oh god no! :eek:
    edited January 2013
    Oh god no! :eek:

And what is wrong with those KDF ships having a cloak?
    edited January 2013
    And what is wrong with those KDF ships having a cloak?

A: The Kar'Fi already has a cloak.

B: The Garumba doesn't need it.
  • evendzharevendzhar Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    duaths1 wrote: »
    you do NOT play a random space shooter, but a STAR TREK game with tons of LORE.

one of the lore points is the treaty of Algeron

Defiant got a cloak which was operated by a Romulan officer, watch the episode.

FED is NOT getting a cloak
    The Federation already has thousands of Defiant class ships and Galaxy-X ships from an alternate future with a cloaking device. Even if the treaty of Algeron is still in effect in 2409, the terms have obviously been changed. Knowing that, I see no reason why they can't change again.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Feds already have cloaks. The Treaty of Algeron does not say "Federation shall not use cloaks, except on Defiants and Galaxy-X's. Feel free to use cloaks on those."

But it is true KDF would have less use for a simple cloak console. So if installed on a ship that already has a cloak (Klingon ships or Def/Gal-X with a Romulan cloak installed together with the C-Store console), it could upgrade it to the next level (cloak -> battle cloak -> B'rel cloak -> Scimitar cloak).
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    To hell with canon, there are just certain ships in this game that should never get a cloak. There is no PVE reason that a cloak is necessary. I'm having Deja Vu this is like a repeat of the Phase cloak thread.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    derekanjo5 wrote: »

Would that treaty even still be in effect? The Romulan Government as it was was either destroyed, or is actually fighting against the New Romulus movement, as demonstrated by the Tal Shiar.

Since the Federation is at war with the Tal Shiar, and thus the remnants of the old Romulan Government, the Treaty of Algeron is kind of irrelevant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • erraberrab Member Posts: 1,434 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have to admit that the thought of having a Cloaking Device on my Vo'Quv gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside; however, I know that it was not given one for the simple reason that it would have been quite OP.

If Cryptic even considers giving away Romulan Cloaks to the player base it would be the 1st nail in the coffin of any hopes of ever getting a decent Romulan faction.

If players want the ability to cloak on their non-cloaking vessels then I'd suggest investing in Mask Energy Signature.

Once the Klingon Empire completely wipes out what's left of the Romulan Star Empire; the Feds will be free to develop all the cloaking technology they want ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    Ok I put out my idea - Cryptic can do what they want. Enough said. I'm not going to run this one up the flag pole any more.

I play KDF and Fed - I am not pro one or the other - the console would just be a neat thing that would keep people busy with the new content and have little effect on the overall game. People would get it for the novelty more than anything else.

Treaties and canon are TOTAL bs in this game and have been buried a long time ago. As far as I am concerned Cryptic has made everything in this game - fair game - no rules.

All that matters is will it sell lots and will lots of people want it.

So that's all I have to say about this.
    edited January 2013
    Treaties and canon are TOTAL bs in this game and have been buried a long time ago. As far as I am concerned Cryptic has made everything in this game - fair game - no rules.

And that's part of the reason this game sucks. :P

There needs to be rules, there needs to be lines drawn, there needs to be an end to this silliness. When we take that lump this game will become the legend it could be. The sooner we swallow that the better.
  • sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You think our new Romulan friends - being pretty weak - in need of the Fed's help would offer up some of their cloaking tech?

Maybe Cryptic should add a "Romulan Cloaking Console" to tier 5 in the rep system.

I would certainly put out the 500 marks and 25k dilthium for that item. Heck even 50k dilthium! Maybe even more!

Plus, for KDF players it would give all those people with non-klingon ships like the Guramba and Kar'fi the chance to have a cloaking device as well.

Cryptic would certainly get a lot more mileage out of the Romulan content with maybe 200,000+ alts that are not now running the rep system - suddenly start getting used.

Eh, wouldn't bother me in the least if Cryptic actually did this. Wait and see what happens I suppose.