test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STF Leaver Penalty

azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
I went and queued for Infected Space (Elite). When I entered the zone, thinking it was starting new (like it typically does), I ended up in an instance with only 1 person and the optional being failed. Knowing there was no way to continue, I left and got stuck with the 1 Hour STF Penalty. :mad:

Furthermore, the STF Penalty extends to the entire queue, which means I was prevented from doing Romulan Events, Fleet Events, or even Fleet Actions!

I find this very, very unacceptable. That I ended up with this penality for simply entering a failed instance (which the system did not close for some reason) and pretty much ruined my night (and Christmas for cryn out loud!)

Cryptic, I really hope you revise your Penalty Rules so other players do not end up with this unfortunate fate in being punished for someone elses "crime".
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Better to fight through and win (and you CAN win with two or even one )
    Live long and Prosper
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Better to fight through and win (and you CAN win with two or even one )
    I find that hard to believe honestly. Even so, would it not depend at which point the STF was entered? If right at the start, then I refuse to believe an entire STF can be completed with a single person. I can't think of one mission (space at least) in which this would ever be possible.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
    edited December 2012
    Seen it done (not by me)
    Cure space a last man standing finished the mission after the others quit after an optional fail

Admittedly the guy doing it is one of the meanest and most heavily armed people I know
    and the mission was part way done (but as I say optional failed people bailed)
    Live long and Prosper
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I think the penalty is completely fair. Leavers are only slightly less disgusting than leechers.
  • tsf00181tsf00181 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Leaver penalty is fine.

And that's from someone who leaves a lot these days. I'm tired of trolls and dumbass's TRIBBLE these things up.

I would like to have the ability to kick those trolls out though so I don't have to leave.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I think the penalty is completely fair. Leavers are only slightly less disgusting than leechers.

The penalty is fair.

What's not fair is dumping players into failed runs with less than three other people still in them.
  • picardtheiiipicardtheiii Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I personally do find it ridiculous that they have this strict leaver penalty but as far as I can tell leechers are getting off scot free. I report them as others do but does anything really happen? I doubt it.

I think a leecher is 100x worse than a leaver.
  • tsf00181tsf00181 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Remember that when you re-log back into a STF from a server kick.

I'll forget about it because I'll find something else to do for an hour with that character or go play STFs with an alt. Or just go play a better video game. What we desperately need to the ability to kick leachere and dumb people so the STFs don't get to the point were someone has to leave.
  • ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    flash525 wrote: »
    I find that hard to believe honestly. Even so, would it not depend at which point the STF was entered? If right at the start, then I refuse to believe an entire STF can be completed with a single person. I can't think of one mission (space at least) in which this would ever be possible.

you can solo ise, if you know what you are doing. I know ppl, who could solo ise, for optional.
    so in the end, it is op's fault, that he left, and didnt finish :D

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • chuckingramchuckingram Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hello,

I've noticed that increasingly players are bailing out of the two fleet mark events Federation Fleet Alert and Federation Starbase Blockade. I'm not going to guess why this is happening, but it seems to coincide with the action getting heavy, which it almost always does. At least one, or as many as 3 leavers is becoming common. I suggest adding a 1-hour penalty for this behavior, as is standard.

Also, about these two maps, how about normal and elite versions? Until I looked at the requirements, I was constantly amazed to see light cruisers show up. As it is now, it isn't fair to those of us who use these maps to generate a stream of fleet marks to have functionaly useless ships as part of the team. VA only maps would help to ameliorate this situation.
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This belongs in the PvE forum, not the Federation Gameplay forum.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Unless there is a normal and elite versions I would not support a leaver penalty for these maps. When I show up in a fleet alert or blockade, look around and see 2 LTs, a Cmdr, and a Captain I leave without hesitation. Why should I stay, carry these lower ranks through, get fewer marks, and then get stuck with cooldown? Better off leaving and queuing again.

Something similar to the starbase 24 setup, with different queues for different ranks, would sure be nice for these maps.
    edited December 2012
    Normal VA level

Elite lower rank levels
    Live long and Prosper
  • chuckingramchuckingram Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    john98837 wrote: »
    Unless there is a normal and elite versions I would not support a leaver penalty for these maps. When I show up in a fleet alert or blockade, look around and see 2 LTs, a Cmdr, and a Captain I leave without hesitation. Why should I stay, carry these lower ranks through, get fewer marks, and then get stuck with cooldown? Better off leaving and queuing again.

Something similar to the starbase 24 setup, with different queues for different ranks, would sure be nice for these maps.

Thanks for the clarity. If you feel this way, why even join? Assuming that you're a member of a fleet, perhaps it would be better to join as part of fleet only group. As it is, you're TRIBBLE anyone who stays in search of as close to a sure thing as you can get. I'd be willing to bet that you don't play it this fast and loose with a 1-hour CD as punishment, which is a major argument for penalties on ALL endgame maps. Saying that you're "better off" behaving this way is pure selfishness, and no better than leaving because things don't look good.

IMO, these maps were configured this way in a cheap-to-implement effort to give non-VA's a way to FM's. Penalties, with elite/normal versions would correct the situation for the good of all.
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    nah i think only stfs should have leavers pen and if people leave in onslaught elite they should be banned from loggin onto the server for 2 hrs. frikken cry babys they die a few times and QQ then the whole group is stick for the whole match trying to 2-3 man it.

also for the love of baby jesus pls CRYPTIC pls make it so people can join after some quitters have bailed. why lock it out so no one can join specialy ground thats the worst for bail outs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lancemeszaroslancemeszaros Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This would be easily solved by having people queue to new missions instead of existing ones. If we wanted to do existing missions, we'd go to the Join Existing tab. Popping us into existing missions is useless and just pisses everyone off.
  • dunmovyndunmovyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I have been a victim of this type of problem. Que a new mission and get thrown into a fail with 1 other guy.

We stayed, got our loot, and closed out the instance.

What I would like to see, is give me the loot portions of the leavers. Leave the punishment in place. It is an irritating thing to be thrown into a losing round, but you can win it. And then you having bragging rights on your ship.

Which leads to a new accolade, for finishing a losing battle. "Never give up, Never surrender."
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2012
    Some of this behavior is due to accolade hunters. If they don't get the enemy they're looking for they leave and try again.
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I know some people have left the 20 man star base defense because of the lag involved. It can almost ground to a halt at times.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited December 2012
    Maybe let the non level 50s come in at greater numbers to off set there low performance

Va.........=1
    RA/uh/lh= 2
    Cpt........=3
    Cmdr........4
    lt cmdr......5
    Lt..............6

It would be like a star trek fleet action then would it not ?
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    In this instance, the penalty is not the issue, the fact that you got pushed into a failed instance is.
    So the obvious solution would be to stop putting people into failed instances, beyond the first objective.

I love the penalty... It's nessacary, required and should even be made harder if you ask me (exclusion from any team for at least 3 hours).

But there are flaws that makes the solution into a bigger issue... This is one of them.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • heresincebetaheresincebeta Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I agree the leaver penalty should be changed: it should only cool-down while your character is in-game, similar to transwarp and the summon trade ship (Azura II) ability.
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I agree the leaver penalty should be changed: it should only cool-down while your character is in-game, similar to transwarp and the summon trade ship (Azura II) ability.

What this usually does is further push above average and good players out of the queue and into private channels.

A leaver penalty with no penalty or way to deal with leeches or trolls is just bad design.
  • heresincebetaheresincebeta Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    What this usually does is further push above average and good players out of the queue and into private channels.

A leaver penalty with no penalty or way to deal with leeches or trolls is just bad design.

Well of course if you're semi-decent you should not do the public Qs... it's too frustrating and unrewarding to deal with the unwashed masses! I hate pulling their weight when they bring their lolships into an elite STF and proceed to be terrible.
  • john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for the clarity. If you feel this way, why even join? Assuming that you're a member of a fleet, perhaps it would be better to join as part of fleet only group. As it is, you're TRIBBLE anyone who stays in search of as close to a sure thing as you can get. I'd be willing to bet that you don't play it this fast and loose with a 1-hour CD as punishment, which is a major argument for penalties on ALL endgame maps. Saying that you're "better off" behaving this way is pure selfishness, and no better than leaving because things don't look good.

IMO, these maps were configured this way in a cheap-to-implement effort to give non-VA's a way to FM's. Penalties, with elite/normal versions would correct the situation for the good of all.

So let me see if i'm getting you straight here, I should join say blockade, get a team that is say 3/5 below level 50, and stay for the whole 15 minutes doing my best knowing damn well that if we get 10 freighters that will be a miracle. I'm not a selfish person, if i get a somewhat low dps team of VAs, or even a team with 1 lower rank, i will usually stick around. I am not however such a nice guy as to stick around with a blockade team that i know optimistically will get 30 marks, when i know if i leave and queue again and get a decent team I can easily get 70+ marks.

I do normally play with my fleet so this isn't an issue most of the time, but I do occasionally play solo and will always follow the policy I outlined. Like I said originally, make a VA only version, either same difficulty or harder and award more marks and call it elite, and then make a version for the rest of the players. Throw a leaver penalty on then and you'll get no argument from me.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    All PvE queue missions where someone quitting screws over the other players should probably have some kind of leaver penalty. Maybe not STF-grade, but at the very least it should give you the same cooldown as completing the mission does. None of this "leave and queue again" nonsense.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Remember that when you re-log back into a STF from a server kick.
    Usually the game will put you back into the STF after a disconnect and you won't get the penalty. But if you use the "safe mode," that doesn't put you back where you were, you get the penalty.
  • qhs5991qhs5991 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'd like to add my vote for a way to flag/kick leechers, but the leaver penalty needs help too. I accepted an STF queue the other day, and while it was still looking for players, beamed between ESD and SFA. Apparently during my unusually long load time it filled the queue and started the instance, but left me out of it and slapped me with a 1h leaver penalty for abandoning an instance it never had me join. I admit it was stupid to change maps while queued queued, but it would be nice if said stupidity booted me from the queue rather than banning me for an hour just because of a slow map load.
  • kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The STF Leaver penalty needs some work as does the queue mechanic. Today I got stuck in an Elite STF with only two other people. That should not be possible. After that we fought it out for a few min and one my team members left understandably so. Now were left with a team of two so I finished the cube and left because there was no way we were gonna make any progress and I got hit with the leaver penalty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yes they need to stop giving leaver penalty when the group isn't full. I think it used to work that way before.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions