test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sto on ubuntu ? I need help

I would relly want that sto operates on my ubuntu os
I tried so things with wine and windtricks but i cant seem to win against ubuntu
Im running ubuntu 12.10
Please give me a turotial to get sto on linux

This are things i installed with wine tricks:
D3dx9
Ie7 (ie8 didn't worked at all)
Vrun 2008 and i tried 2010
Flash player
And the corefronts
Post edited by sycrus on

Comments

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If memory serves, the issue is in the .net part of the launcher.

Try launching the client, rather than the launcher.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    sycrussycrus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    How do i start the client

And i dont now how but i did start the launcher and start the client
    It crashd while loading and i didnt came so far again

And can i use the client when the game isn't patched
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    sycrus wrote: »
    How do i start the client

And i dont now how but i did start the launcher and start the client
    It crashd while loading and i didnt came so far again

And can i use the client when the game isn't patched

Im just bugtracing right now... I dont use Linux myself, but I have a fair deal of expirience with it.

If we can launch the game without the launcher, we know where to look... then we know where to start.

You need to find the game exe file in your mounts....

Not sure what it would be on linux, but on a Win, it should be "%program files%\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\GameClient.exe" i belive...

You probably have it in your /usr or /bin (or /etc?)
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    Im just bugtracing right now... I dont use Linux myself, but I have a fair deal of expirience with it.

If we can launch the game without the launcher, we know where to look... then we know where to start.

You need to find the game exe file in your mounts....

Not sure what it would be on linux, but on a Win, it should be "%program files%\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\GameClient.exe" i belive...

You probably have it in your /usr or /bin (or /etc?)

Doesn't the games exe just starts the launcher ?
    But i also got a friend with a windows pc i can at least test it with the client
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    sycrus wrote: »
    Doesn't the games exe just starts the launcher ?
    But i also got a friend with a windows pc i can at least test it with the client

No... the launcher and the client are seperate enteties... The launcher simply provides patch access/evaluation as well as directed login.

The game client is usually launched through the launcher, but it is not required, if your client is up to date.

But... come to think of it, The launcher IS powered by IE... You might want to investigate if you can sucessfully install IE9 or later?

I will be offline for the next 8'ish hours... sleep is a b*tch, but nessacary.

Try my suggestions, and hope someone else can help you... If not, I will look into this thread tomorrow again...
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    was skimming through the old forums, and found this:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=188032&highlight=ubuntu+anazonda

Post #2 is mine... Seems it solved the issue back then.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Ok had it alsmost functional i was able to get on the screen with the text cryptic
    But it crashed on the next screen : the logo it didnt relly crashed but it just didnt get farder
    I dont now how but i cant start the client not in the launcher and not by the gameclient.exe
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Ok, so that issue is removed from the checklist...

There is a file... MS*somethingsomething*.dll that the launcher initiates... It's apprearently not nessacary on the windows, but it might just be in Ubuntu...

Ill see what I can figure out
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    Ok, so that issue is removed from the checklist...

There is a file... MS*somethingsomething*.dll that the launcher initiates... It's apprearently not nessacary on the windows, but it might just be in Ubuntu...

Ill see what I can figure out

How do you get it
    But the launcher works or is it for the client
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Some wane ?
  • Options
    martynoceanmartynocean Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am writing this on my phone while I wait for windows to boot after another unsuccessful try to get STO to run on my Linux install. And windows is so slow in comparison, so very slow.

Anyway the only reason I have a windows partition is for this game, and sadly the old xp is going to have to go soon. Its just too old and creaky, and really? taking space just for a game? but I love this game.. but windows must go.... arrgh

I hope, following the lead of companies like valve/steam and blizzard, even EA, that cryptic start looking at the potential of Linux and ubuntu etc.

right windows nearly booted..... and time for some STO :)

oh and Internet Explorer? seriously?
  • Options
    tango2bravotango2bravo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This needs to be resolved. 20 million + people and growing a day use Ubuntu. I play STO on a old XP computer that I resuscitated for that purpose alone - a concept obscene to a Linux user.

Free to play and open source should work beautifully together.

Im upgrading to the latest Ubuntu version 13.04 today (54/7) [ http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/upgrade ] and on a laptop and desktop. ( new users go here ( [ http://www.ubuntu.com/ ]) I will post on this issue every day until it is resolved or I can say for sure it is un-resolvable.

Also I am uninstalling wine and all the previous tweaks I attempted to resolve this before the Ubuntu upgrade. Evidentially this issue was resolved in the past with other Linux versions - Ill try to read up on those as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Hello
    I updated to 13.04 as well but there is a problem winetricks isn't anymore in the store
    I was willing to try to enter this in the launcher ( i found it on the tribble maintainence They said wine users needed to fill it in

-enablerawinputsupport 0
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I gonne try this if i can find winetricks by now http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=19203