test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Constructive feedback on Q's Winter Wonderland

toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
First off, lovely map. Could be bigger, but whatever, it's not supposed to be a new adventure zone.

Snowball battles and ice-skating (or just sliding) is great as well. Certainly adds to the relaxing holiday atmosphere.

Now onto the missions present in there: All 3 are amusing, fast paced. When the PvP race is "adjusted" to reward all who should be rewarded and to disqualify for the shortcut, I'll have nothing to object to.

And here comes the catch, after spending about 30 mins in the Winter Wonderland, you have nothing more to do. You probably lived through one snowman apocalypse, you won a race against the NPC (thus completing the daily/getting 40 photos) and raced against other players (I'll assume you got the 6 tags necessary for an Epohh, since, unless subject to bugs, can find an underpopulated instance and place well in the race).

Now there's nothing more to do on the NPC racetrack, and you got all Epohh tags you can use for the day. The only thing left to do is digging in the snow for commodities while waiting for another snowman attack. That gets your finger and the F key in trouble.

Why not adding some little repeatable missions rewarding as little as 1, 2 or 3 commodities to do in between the main event of the map? What about building igloos? Tracking the few wild animals in there? Actually, what about the snowman "regiment" hidden in a valley? I'm sure you could think of many amusing anecdotes set in this map.

Also, I'm not sure if it's possible to race "privately" against another player (or the whole team you're part of), off the regular race times. Could be fun challenges as well, on both tracks.

All these changes could make the Winter Wonderland a pleasant place to stay in and have fun. Off course, if having players stay there for prolonged periods of time was not your intention, just ignore this post. If not, think of these or similar ideas for the years to come (I doubt you could add anything in time, unless it's been created already, but not yet added in).

Thanks for reading and happy playing. (too soon for anything like "happy holidays",...)
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    squishkinsquishkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'd like it if you could rerun the personal race on a shorter timer for different commodities. Say, a 30-minute timer with the reward being a bucket of random winter commodities, much like the Snowman Attack.

Also, it'd be nice to have some other big group minigames, sort of like you get in the NR Adventure Zone.

Run around searching for presents to turn in to Q?
    Bat'leth challenge against a Snowman Warrior?
    Cocoa and Cookies Dabo?
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Snow machine races.

:)
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    toiva wrote: »
    And here comes the catch, after spending about 30 mins in the Winter Wonderland, you have nothing more to do.

Maybe you should stop buying holiday bundles and search ornamets in snow piles or wait few minutes for the next snowball fight....short ,playing the game.If you buy the rewards of course you have nothing to do.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    adrianm63 wrote: »
    Maybe you should stop buying holiday bundles and search ornamets in snow piles or wait few minutes for the next snowball fight....short ,playing the game.If you buy the rewards of course you have nothing to do.

Not sure I get your post, personnaly I don't buy rewards, I save my dil for ships.

And to others, yes, little missions that can be done in 5 or 10 mins are what is missing, in my opinion. Just something else to do (and be modestly rewarded for) instead of just pressing F, F, F, ...
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.

• Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    toiva wrote: »
    Not sure I get your post, personnaly I don't buy rewards, I save my dil for ships.

after snowbal fight you get some ornamets .With them you can buy rewards .After I do the race with all my toons I move to main and play pvp races and snowball fights .I even stopped going to for dilithium because of that....its fun and there are never enough ornamets.Try to set a goal (like buying all winter rewards) then you will see how many things to do are there :rolleyes:

P.S.Dont forget ,from time to time go on esd and hit people with snowballs :D
  • Options
    phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Good comments, but I don't think it was intentioned for you to spend all day there. There's two races and a snowman event. Cryptic "kept it simple" and that's laudable.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    after snowbal fight you get some ornamets .With them you can buy rewards .

That's what I'm saying, the snowball fights are the only reason to remain on the map, but you have to wait 25 mins for the next one.
    After I do the race with all my toons I move to main and play pvp races and snowball fights .I even stopped going to for dilithium because of that....its fun and there are never enough ornamets.Try to set a goal (like buying all winter rewards) then you will see how many things to do are there :rolleyes:

P.S.Dont forget ,from time to time go on esd and hit people with snowballs :D

There's a lot of time in between PvP races, and no real reason to running more than 1 to 2 a day.

Adding little missions that reward the winter commodities will help you with that goal of getting the winter rewards (note, already got most of what i wanted in the last day, so...).

I just want to extend to map to a real winter "playground" you don't want to leave and go home. :) Now there are empty "spots" when you have nothing better to do than digging in snow.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Good comments, but I don't think it was intentioned for you to spend all day there. There's two races and a snowman event. Cryptic "kept it simple" and that's laudable.

Yes, if it is intentionally simple, I agree it should stay the way it is (hence the line about ignoring the original post ;) ). I was just thinking maybe it could become a "better Winter Wonderland of a Thousand Miracles". :P

• Options
    manofstijlmanofstijl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    How about 'Snow Win Scenario'? You have to defend the gazebo against increasing waves of snowmen.
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I spent hours there on my kdf...the white is such a nice contrast to the horrid red ui.....plus i like snow weeee

what id like to see for next year to give us more stuff to do....

snowman making competition or snowcastle making competition. more ways to earn the looty stuff to buy the other looty stuff you know.

ability to lie down and make snow angels...

figure skating competition !!
    a special arena sactioned area for one on one duels or mass snowball pvp fun?
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    More figure skating!!!! :D I would love to do some more spins, jumps, and figure eights. Maybe a small hockey game on the ice versus the snowman would be cool too. :) Star Trek Online Hockey League. :P
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    A little history here. Until last year, there was not a Winter Wonderland. This year's version has more to do than last year's. I suspect that next year's version will have more to do also.

Someone complained in chat that the Devs should have been spending their time working on "content" instead of this. My PvP queue popped before I could ask what he considered "content".

I'm liking the additional stuff I can earn. My Klingons finally get a coat - woohoo!

Would I like even more ways to earn the commodities to get my new stuff? Yes. Maybe next year.

In the end, I've wanted a Breen ship since they were first put in game. Now I can have that with only about 2.5 times the grind I went through last year for just an accolade. I'm happy with that.
  • Options
    entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I would just like to see more ways to get Holiday 'crafting materials', for lack of a better term, than the half-hour Snowman fight, very rare snowball pile popups, and Lobi store. I'd like to get these things this holiday season without completely sacrificing play in other areas of the game. :(
  • Options
    allmyteeallmytee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    While i would like more stuff there also, lets not forget that this zone is only here for a month. But perhaps some kind of mission with the wildlife would be nice. Also i would like some kind of "carolling" mission. Perhaps even a pvp snowball fight.

+1 for the ability to make snow angels

Also could we have an option to convert one commodity into another? I found 15 epohh tags in snowpiles yesterday, already having 40 plus from the pvp race. GPL is meh until there is something nice in the GPL store.

In the end this event is better than last years so thank you.
  • Options
    daerdelushdaerdelush Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Would be nice to get the skating animations during the races you get the speed anyway, and I only got them so I don't look like I'm tripping on ice all the time.
  • Options
    sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I like the new snowball guns
    snowman alerts are cool
    the endurance race was cool
  • Options
    alnakaralnakar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm pretty pleased with what they've done with it this year. I really appreciate the little wooden queue for the race official (it's subtle, but it helps). The ability to get a free ship out of the deal is really fantastic. I don't see anything to complain about here.

I do agree that they need to kill the shortcut on the PvP race. Aside from that, I absolutely agree that their focus should go back to the pieces of the game that stick around all year. This is a cool event, but there's no reason to have the Dev team dump time into creating a temporary zone that can keep people entertained for hours on end.
    - LTS since shortly before the F2P announcement, and very happy about it.
  • Options
    clamyfishstickclamyfishstick Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    like last year, this whole thing lacks the main spirit of the holidays - giving. it's just another grindfest... sad.
  • Options
    alnakaralnakar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    like last year, this whole thing lacks the main spirit of the holidays - giving. it's just another grindfest... sad.

Wow, you're right. I'm not sure how I could have possibly missed it. Grinding for five whole minutes a day, in order to get a free ship, is just way too much work. They're totally missing the point of this holiday. They should give you everything, all at once, for no effort on your part at all.

That would make it the best, most profitable game ever!

Or was your point that they're missing the capitalist spirit of the holiday, and they should be selling us something instead of giving it to us at no cost, for a relatively small investment of time?
    - LTS since shortly before the F2P announcement, and very happy about it.
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    i like the new clothing options.. KDF needs them as salt. too bad there is no way to adjust the colors.. IF only a little.

already have the short winter outfit, now i need to grind for the super-short and long.. oh. at least on my main :D
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2012
    I want cryptic to enable the use of melee weapons on the map, so I can show off my 2011 nanopulse weapons. I'm not even looking for them to deal damage to snowmen or anything- I just want to be able to activate them and show them off.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Keep the ideas coming. ;)

There's always the minuscule chance we'll get something of it next year (if we're here, and the game's still around).

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hehe.... the STF horde can now get their fill of Rum and Nog! Yeah, people ate it up last year for the stat boost effect. :) It was selling for impressive prices in November.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Unfortunately everyone cheats on the fast and flurious race making it not worth running for folks who play by the rules.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Only thing I'd really like is for the NPC you're racing to show up on the mini-map. Turning around every so often to see how far ahead you are is a bit counter-intuitive.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    foundrelic wrote: »
    Unfortunately everyone cheats on the fast and flurious race making it not worth running for folks who play by the rules.

the question now is: would you win if it was fair? All that bug did was shorten the track...nothing more.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Winter Event mostly sucks. I just spend 5 minutes per character there each day to win the race for Breen ship after that I'm out. I'm not going to wait around for each half hour to fight snowmen just to get cosmetic non-combat items or do a race for a non-combat pet that I don't want to waste inventory space on.

I really wish they wouldn't spend resouces on limited time winter events, I'd rather them just not have a winter event and spend the time and resources developing more episodes and STFs. Put the Breen ship in a lockbox instead and use that to help fund more content. They can put the clothing items in the z-store instead to.
    I neither want or expect devs to have to make special events for Winter or any other season, more lasting content is better then this limited time stuff.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    baudl wrote: »
    the question now is: would you win if it was fair? All that bug did was shorten the track...nothing more.

How would you win if it was fair?

By running the course the way it was MEANT to be run better than the rest of the participants.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Only thing I'd really like is for the NPC you're racing to show up on the mini-map. Turning around every so often to see how far ahead you are is a bit counter-intuitive.
    I worried about that the first few times I raced, then decided it didn't matter as long as I was ahead. Now I only pay attention if I can see them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    foundrelic wrote: »
    How would you win if it was fair?

By running the course the way it was MEANT to be run better than the rest of the participants.

instead of turning, i jump, turn in the air. when i'm on ground again i start running...i actually won the race twice by shortening it and once doing as it was intended. My point is, it is still a competition, just a shorter one. (the boots might come in handy)
    Go pro or go home