test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Holiday Event is Live!

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited January 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Q's Winter Wonderland is now open and ready for you to explore! Jump in-game now to participate in special events that could earn you unique rewards, including a FREE Breen Chel Grett Warship.

Click here to read more.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• vesolcvesolc Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Crash ? lol:P
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    We?ll see you all at Q?s Winter Wonderland and Happy Holidays from the Star Trek Online team!
    I'm at work now, but eagerly await getting home and visiting the Winter Wonderland (in about 7hrs >sigh< :rolleyes:).

Happy Holidays and Seasons Greetings back at you Team STO!

:D:D:D

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • drudgydrudgy Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Sweet! Can't wait to get home and see what kind of chaos Q is up to. :)
    f3wrLS.jpg
  • latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yayy! Let's just log in and check the ne....

"patcher failed to connect to patch server" Oh.

WHHHHYYYYYYY ?
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hey Bran,
    Any chance the c-store will have a holiday sale ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • sirusvoxxsirusvoxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    From the blog:

"Each day you will be gifted with forty (40) Autographed 8?10 Glossy Pictures of Q upon completing the ?Fastest Game on Ice? (the same race seen during last year?s Winter Event). This means that player captains that can participate in the event 25 times during the 35+ days that the Winter Event will be active, will have earned their way to a FREE Starship!"

It seems that you actually have to WIN the race to get the pics, not just complete it. I've tried several times so far and have yet to win...so the rewards are not quite being GIFTED to us as the blog describes...
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2012
    sirusvoxx wrote: »
    From the blog:

"Each day you will be gifted with forty (40) Autographed 8?10 Glossy Pictures of Q upon completing the ?Fastest Game on Ice? (the same race seen during last year?s Winter Event). This means that player captains that can participate in the event 25 times during the 35+ days that the Winter Event will be active, will have earned their way to a FREE Starship!"

It seems that you actually have to WIN the race to get the pics, not just complete it. I've tried several times so far and have yet to win...so the rewards are not quite being GIFTED to us as the blog describes...

Completing = winning. You need to beat the NPC, but you can try again until you beat it. Once you get the hang of the track, you'll end up beating the NPC each time by a longshot (tip: jump or roll to stop yourself from sliding). The PvP race has separate rewards for placing and participating.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • jkirk13jkirk13 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The PvP race has separate rewards for placing and participating.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I just did the PvP race and I got nothing for participating in it. I know I was 4th so I'm guessing there is nothing for those who finish 4th or later.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2012
    jkirk13 wrote: »
    I just did the PvP race and I got nothing for participating in it. I know I was 4th so I'm guessing there is nothing for those who finish 4th or later.

You should receive a handful of Winter Epohh Tags for completing the PvP Race, but we're currently tracking some issues with Open Missions (like this race) occasionally cancelling themselves before being completed. We believe it's related to server load, but we're still investigating.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The race for the authographed Q pics is harder then I thought. I have a few days to get the hang of it, but at the rate I am going, I am guessing none of my characters will get the breen ship.
  • charliescot25charliescot25 Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I don't blame you. I preferred the last year event but I guess I have to get used to this one.
    [SIGPIC]USSDundee_zpsfcfe716b.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • targpetz101targpetz101 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Branflakes, have the team look into why some people can't pick up snaow balls at the piles.

Like the snow man attck is happening, if at the pile, "pick up snowball" no giving ANY.
    I know they are a device, and get slotted such to use.

is this the "Offical Feedback" page or should there be one elsewhere?
    could you include a link to it?
    [SIGPIC]This is not as good as it used to be...[/SIGPIC]
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    tip for racing:

1 sprint to a bit before corner and then turn to face into corner, with a small delay before you run forward again. a side slide is pretty important.

2. some corners last year could be 'clipped' and have the added advantage of not being slippy so you can turn on them.

3. jumping or rolling will cause an immediate stop as per branflakes tips.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yayy! Let's just log in and check the ne....

"patcher failed to connect to patch server" Oh.

WHHHHYYYYYYY ?

Because "your ISP." Also, "run a traceroute/nettest".

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Branflakes, have the team look into why some people can't pick up snaow balls at the piles.

Like the snow man attck is happening, if at the pile, "pick up snowball" no giving ANY.
    I know they are a device, and get slotted such to use.

is this the "Offical Feedback" page or should there be one elsewhere?
    could you include a link to it?

I just had that same problem.
    I'm trying a restart of the game.

EDit: nope, relogging dig nothing.
    Can't participate in the Snowman war do to this bug.
    Also, the were alot of others saying the same thing in the chat.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • ychildychild Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Only Lipras given to Starfleet and Bat'hlet for Klingons? Because I only saw the Lipra being sold for the Starfleet players. I would rather to pick either weapon
  • sirusvoxxsirusvoxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Completing = winning. You need to beat the NPC, but you can try again until you beat it. Once you get the hang of the track, you'll end up beating the NPC each time by a longshot (tip: jump or roll to stop yourself from sliding). The PvP race has separate rewards for placing and participating.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Many more attempts and still failed every time...

I guess I just feel a bit let down as I was expecting a "gift" from Cryptic, but instead I've been given yet more grind...
  • josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    So, Brandon... I have a question.

I have a toon that has 5 Holiday Gift Receipts from last year. Can I turn those in somewhere this year, and if so, where?
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    in regards to the snowball piles not giving snowballs for some players,

I noticed that if you don't have any snowballs currently in a device slot, they automatically go into your inventory. I am wondering if that is what is happening with others. Since I haven't had any problems getting snowballs (once I discovered where they were)
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2012
    So, Brandon... I have a question.

I have a toon that has 5 Holiday Gift Receipts from last year. Can I turn those in somewhere this year, and if so, where?

We'll let you do something with them in a future patch :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited December 2012
    sirusvoxx wrote: »
    Many more attempts and still failed every time...

I guess I just feel a bit let down as I was expecting a "gift" from Cryptic, but instead I've been given yet more grind...
    Sorry you're having trouble Sirusvoxx. Give these tips a try:
    Last year this was my technique:

* The thing to remember is the NPC Racer doesn't sprint, they only ever "trot". So if you get a lead, you don't have to sprint again the whole rest of the race. You can relax and take your time. With that in mind:

* At the start of the Race, sprint nearly the whole opening straightaway. As you get to the first turn, reduce speed (depending on your skill you can just stop sprinting and slide, double-roll, jump, catch a corner, etc.) and make the turn.

* If you can make that first turn after sprinting, just casually trot through the rest of the course. You'll win, cuz the NPC Racer will never catch up. The end. :)

This is how I taught my 61-year-old (at the time) STO-playing father how to complete the race all by himself. He's a little arthritic and has bad eyesight (cataracts, well, had them, gone now, yay!), but he would win about 90% of the time using the above methods.

Other tips:

* This is not a "try it once a day"-restricted event. If you fail, don't worry/fret. Just run straight across the middle of the map, requeue with the Race Coordinator, and try again.

* Some of the turns have "snowy corners" that are still considered in-bounds, and are not slippery. Once you learn where these are they are great for stopping, taking short cuts, and making better turns.

* Those last couple of hairpin turns have major snowy corners that are still in-bounds. You can almost run straight through them (that's an exaggeration, but if you spend a little times testing where the track fails, you'll see what I mean).

* It is possible to sprint the whole race. Once I got my practice up, I was doing it all the time... You don't need to, but it can be a fun challenge. I got to the point where I was regularly overtaking the race in front of me! In fact, if I didn't at least lap the NPC Racer in the previous race (ie the one that started before me), I considered myself a failure. LOL

Disclaimer: This notes are all in regards to last year. I'm at work right now and haven't done the race this year, but I expect it to be the same.

:cool:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=6965521&postcount=20

Don't rush, and you'll be fine! Good Luck! :)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • kikanasskikanass Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Anyone had any luck figuring out a fix or work around for the "Can't pick up snowballs" issue. I been trying to pick up snowballs for 2 hours and can't get any.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I've got to say this years race is harder.

NOT fun at all.

Let me guess, there's something I need to buy to increase my traction to win?
    edited December 2012
    If it helps in determining what's causing the inability to pick up snowballs from piles or get special items from piles while doing so I've found something wierd going on. I noticed that though I can't pick up snowballs or get special items from piles while doing so, when the snowball fight starts the snowball throw does appear in my powers and I can add it to my tray and then when I pick up snowballs they get added to the snowball throw power even though they stils do not appear in my inventory. Atleast I can still participate in the snowball fight I just can't get snowballs or special items from the piles under normal circumstances as others can
    edited December 2012
    How much do the new jackets, scarf, snowman pet, purple nanopulse, and snowball guns cost? Any screenshots of the store? And how much in rewards are paid out from fighting snowmen?

Is it reasonable to assume someone playing for an hour or so a day, over the next 35 days, that they should be able to get one of everything on at least one or two toons?

Or if I'm wanting the whole set, and I don't have time to grind 5hrs a day, then I'm expected to spend cash for Lobis?

How is this balanced?

• kandorouskandorous Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, I'm losing a lot of vendor trinkets found in the snow piles because I am not able to loot them....
    edited December 2012
    ffffffOk I've figured out the problem with the "can't pick up snowballs issue". It's not that you can't pick them up. The problem is that when you have the Throw snowball power your first 1000 snowballs go into that power and into your characters device slot and when they start melting the entire pile starts melting so since they stack in piles of 1000 if you have them equipped to use during snowball fight when they start melting if you keep picking them up you never gain any more in your inventory as the pile you have equipped just constantly keeps melting and since the pile is in a melting state they are also useless. I've been able to get around this issue by simply discarding all snowballs when the melting process starts and start collecting fresh snowballs.
  • mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Um, yeah.. ok. I have only just started patching, but a fleet mate has been trying to 'win' that race for 4 hours. Something tells me I won't be getting a Breen ship either >.<
    edited December 2012
    mikearoo wrote: »
    Um, yeah.. ok. I have only just started patching, but a fleet mate has been trying to 'win' that race for 4 hours. Something tells me I won't be getting a Breen ship either >.<
    Don't dispair!

Try these tips, and tell me how you do:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=6965521&postcount=20

• thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Someone said something in chat about trading lockboxes for Lobi.

I can't find that anywhere, but wouldn't that be AWESOME if they had a vendor there to do that?
This discussion has been closed.