test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Good-bye, old friend! Hello phaser lady!

Comments

• Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    "Oh no! Tal Shiar! *pew* *pew* Duh... where's the stair? Whaug! Can't see where I'm going cuz TRIBBLE! Whozzat with the camera? *thud*"
    <3
  • Options
    defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Phaser Dude isn't gone, he just got a new home - http://www.perfectworld.com/

There were some complaints that STO didn't have enough equality so they moved him out and brought in the big... "eared"... lady.
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Except for one big fault. Her skin tint is reddish, not greenish.
    A simple explanation is that the reddish tint is more... appealing to male viewers than a green tint. ;)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    She's a Vulcan who's putting aside differences between her people to help her distant brethren in the hopes of a brighter future.

Seriously, if they put a Romulan there then I'm pretty sure people would have started expecting to play a Romulan. If that functionality isn't made available then you've got heaps of unhappy people.

Pretty much this. I say save any pictures of Romulans for if/when they release a Romulan faction.
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    grylak wrote: »
    Being a Vulcan, she should be. Yes, I said Vulcan. For the simple fact she is in a starfleet uniform. Romulans haven't joined Starfleet. Even ones who wear their uniforms with the zip pretty much all the way down.

If I recall correctly, the path to 2409 (RIP) did allow for non-federation species to enlist in Starfleet, so Romulans can certainly sign up, not that I think she's Romulan.
  • Options
    nikdangernikdanger Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    bumbleduck wrote: »
    =/ Because all I see are your own psychological projections. =/

:::hands Bumbleduck a cigar:::

Bullseye! Right on the target!
  • Options
    captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    she could be part Romulan part Human, it has been done before in the past.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • Options
    phantasrsphantasrs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    bumbleduck wrote: »
    Problem is all in your heads guys. It sounds like you have some internal sexism issues you need to overcome =/ Because all I see are your own psychological projections. =/

The problem isn't all in our heads. It's in society. It's in you guys saying the problem isn't real.
    These aren't internal sexism issues, they're issues women have to deal with ever day of our lives. Until you've walked a day in a woman's shoes, surrounded with images of what women should be according to men, feeling the gazes of men on your body, fearing for your safety when walking alone in the afternoon because it's a real possibility that some man might come and force you to have sex with them (they censored the actual word for this action for some reason) because what are women but sex objects anyways, don't say it's all in our heads.
    This is our society. This is the problem.

Back to the subject at hand.
    In Star Trek, our society has advanced past seeing women predominantly as sex objects. This problem is no more.
    But PWE obviously didn't get the memo with this image of this Vulcan woman with the vacant expression. But we all know how they're all about profit and that sex sells. And look at the way women are portrayed in all their other games. They're just another part of the problem.

All I want is for them to use the same kind of imagery in their marketing for both males and females. Handsome Phaser Dude looked good. A woman in the same style uniform as him would be great. I'm just asking for equality.
    PhantasmagoricRS
    On the forums September 2009
  • Options
    flyingcatmanflyingcatman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    phantasrs wrote: »
    The problem isn't all in our heads. It's in society. It's in you guys saying the problem isn't real.
    These aren't internal sexism issues, they're issues women have to deal with ever day of our lives. Until you've walked a day in a woman's shoes, surrounded with images of what women should be according to men, feeling the gazes of men on your body, fearing for your safety when walking alone in the afternoon because it's a real possibility that some man might come and force you to have sex with them (they censored the actual word for this action for some reason) because what are women but sex objects anyways, don't say it's all in our heads.

That seems a bit paranoid... Most women I've met have gotten around the whole "sex object" thing by not dressing provocatively, thus not attracting unwanted attention. If you don't want the attention, don't beg for it.

Yes, there are really sexists in the world, it's still a problem and always will be. But they are on both genders. The men see women as nothing more than child-bearing workhorses and sex objects, and then women see men as violent, evil testosterone-filled maniacs.

I want to see this lady's uniform changed as much as you do, but to jump to these conclusions is a bit upsetting.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    While some people get hung up on the uniform, I don't care. Imagine her in a full TNG uniform. She would still be insulting.

Why? First, that vacant open mouthed stare that says she's not all there. That look, and looking at the viewer makes no sense at all in her presumed situation. Its not an emotionless Vulcan look.

Second, what the heck is her hair doing? It is not moving away from her path of motion, its blowing in the wind in an unnecessary over-glamorized effect. Oh yeah, and how often did we see a Vulcan with her hair resembling that in Star Trek? Only in the Mirror Universe.

Third, she has a phaser ready to fire but she doesn't look where she is aiming. She doesn't think its important. Anyone handling a weapon like that had better still be in basic training. Too bad she has captain pips.

Fourth, why is she falling? That doesn't look elegant, graceful, or any sort of badass.

Fifth, she is clearly wearing a lot of makeup. But she's on duty? And a vulcan?

So who cares what she is wearing when everything else is wrong? The pose, the physics, the look, the scene is all ridiculous and when you combine everything together it makes her look like a sex object and nothing more, because she clearly isn't being portrayed as a badass, competent, thinking, Vulcan captain in Starfleet.

She's nothing but Trek flavored eye candy in that picture. That is why it is offensive. If she were more than just eye candy, it would be fine, but nothing in the picture indicates that.

Yes to first point, yes to second point, yes to third point, yes to fourth point and yes to fifth point.

Well articulated. ;)
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    phantasrs wrote: »

Back to the subject at hand.
    In Star Trek, our society has advanced past seeing women predominantly as sex objects. This problem is no more.
    But PWE obviously didn't get the memo with this image of this Vulcan woman with the vacant expression. But we all know how they're all about profit and that sex sells. And look at the way women are portrayed in all their other games. They're just another part of the problem.

All I want is for them to use the same kind of imagery in their marketing for both males and females. Handsome Phaser Dude looked good. A woman in the same style uniform as him would be great. I'm just asking for equality.

To your first paragraph, I once walked into a Mary Kay convention by accident. So yes, I know what it feels like to be a side of meat. The horror...the horror! :eek:

Terrible, isn't it? And I don't care. Not one bit. I'm not in this game to solve the world's social ills. I'm in it to get away from the world for a bit and enjoy the Star Trek universe.

And this is a fictional virtual universe. Not a perfect one where everyone is equal and everyone gets along together singing Kumbaya. This is a universe with quite a bit of implied sex. This is a world with scantily clad Orion slave girls, miniskirted Federation uniforms, sexual pheromone excreting Deltans, nekkid Ferengi females and nekkid Betazoid's running around. Not to mention DS9's Dabo girls (I forgot about them in my last post), and 7 of 9 with her high heeled, exceptionally skin tight catsuit...and in the last movie, didn't Kirk do the voyeuristic Peeping Tom bit with Uhura as she got dressed?

In short since its inception until present, Star Trek has traditionally granted all viewers a healthy dosage of female eye candy and Pretty Phaser Lady is in keeping with this high tradition. In fact, it's actually quite mild, tbqh.

What's next, all hand weapons set to 'tickle', no more ships blowing up in combat and only decaf raktajino to drink???

Enough! We will draw the line here! Bring on the Pretty Phaser Lady wallpaper!

Just sayin'! :D
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    nikdanger wrote: »
    In short since its inception until present, Star Trek has traditionally granted all viewers a healthy dosage of female eye candy and Pretty Phaser Lady is in keeping with this high tradition. In fact, it's actually quite mild, tbqh.
    Just sayin'! :D

Finding examples makes it alright. Precedent does not justify all cases. I object to them as much as to this.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    artan42 wrote: »
    Finding examples makes it alright. Precedent does not justify all cases. I object to them as much as to this.

Then this fictional universe is not for you, I'm sorry to say. I've pretty much proven that with all of the examples above: it simply doesn't meet your standards.

Good luck to you! :(
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Then this fictional universe is not for you, I'm sorry to say. I've pretty much proven that with all of the examples above: it simply doesn't meet your standards.

Are Deltans, Orions and Dabo Girls representative of Star Trek as a whole? If not, then we shouldn't have something like that on the main page. It doesn't look like Star Trek, and since this is supposed to be Star Trek Online, I'd say we have a problem.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    phantasrsphantasrs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Are Deltans, Orions and Dabo Girls representative of Star Trek as a whole? If not, then we shouldn't have something like that on the main page. It doesn't look like Star Trek, and since this is supposed to be Star Trek Online, I'd say we have a problem.
    Quoted because this is basically the whole point.
    There's all sorts of ladies in Star Trek but we don't have to represent the lot of them with a seductive alien lady. There are so many better examples of women portrayed in Star Trek you could've used, too, like Captain Janeway or Major Kira.

I'd also like to mention that there's a difference between the sexual liberation of women, allowing them to choose what to wear and how to behave, and the sexual objectification of women, insisting that they dress a certain way and not think about what they want in order to please men.
    Star Trek has walked this line but I'd like to think that as a whole it's more on the liberated side. Betazoids having naked weddings, for instance, isn't a sexual thing, it's an honesty thing. Just to list a couple more examples: Orion females being skantily clad and sold is a scam, controlled by the Orion ladies themselves, for personal gain, not for the sexual gratification of men. T'pol's catsuit was definitely a ploy to attract males to watch Enterprise, but as the show progressed her character developed so she was never just there for fan service. Same with Seven of Nine. In fact, all the main characters in Star Trek, regardless of their attire, have their own stories and personalities.
    Pretty Vulcan Lady, however, exists only to look sexy in her short skirt and low cut top and sell the game with her dreamy gaze. That's part of why she's so objectionable. Handsome Phaser Guy, while also with no purpose but to advertise the game, wore a normal uniform and looked where he shot. I don't think I need to go on at this point because it's just the same list of points again.
    PhantasmagoricRS
    On the forums September 2009
  • Options
    edited November 2012

Good luck to you! :(

Seriously! You think My objections to sexism means there is nothing in ST for me! Wow we must watch different shows.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,821 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Or maybe she is just a Vulcan? I mean, for a promotional image, you obviously want something attractive... like a beautiful pointy-eared space elf.

Titties also helps....:D
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited November 2012

What part of this game is actually representative of what Star Trek was? The going into random star systems and killing aliens who have a claim on archeological sites of prayer, so another species with the same claim who just happens to be friendlier with us can go and pray in peace with no attempt at a diplomatic solution?

Or the invading enemy bases and killing everyone there to find evidence of weapons of mass destruction, despite the person giving the orders is clearly unbalanced and should be sanctioned? (Before someone mentions Chain of Command, they already had the evidence before they went in).

The Doff missions are pretty much the only ones that truly capture what Star Trek was about.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    artan42 wrote: »
    Seriously! You think My objections to sexism means there is nothing in ST for me! Wow we must watch different shows.

If you have to make multiple posts about sexism in Star Trek, and campaign to remove a harmless picture of a semi-attractive Vulcan with her jacket zipper opened 1/3 down, then maybe to the former (insufficient data to generalize) and yes to the latter as previously established.

Ironically, my male toon is wearing the TOS command shirt and is showing more cleavage than Pretty Phaser Lady. Time start having salad for lunch!

Just sayin,

:)
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    grylak wrote: »
    What part of this game is actually representative of what Star Trek was? The going into random star systems and killing aliens who have a claim on archeological sites of prayer, so another species with the same claim who just happens to be friendlier with us can go and pray in peace with no attempt at a diplomatic solution?

Or the invading enemy bases and killing everyone there to find evidence of weapons of mass destruction, despite the person giving the orders is clearly unbalanced and should be sanctioned? (Before someone mentions Chain of Command, they already had the evidence before they went in).

The Doff missions are pretty much the only ones that truly capture what Star Trek was about.

All the more reason to hold on to one of the few things that is Trek in this game.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    archofwinterarchofwinter Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Originally posted by nikdanger
    This is a world with scantily clad Orion slave girls, miniskirted Federation uniforms, sexual pheromone excreting Deltans, nekkid Ferengi females and nekkid Betazoid's running around. Not to mention DS9's Dabo girls (I forgot about them in my last post), and 7 of 9 with her high heeled, exceptionally skin tight catsuit...and in the last movie, didn't Kirk do the voyeuristic Peeping Tom bit with Uhura as she got dressed?

The thing with Orion is that the so called slave girls are actually incharge. If you look into the lore, Orion women are in charge and chose to be purchased by the rich and powerful throughout the quadrant to influence their decisions.

Betazoid are just norms for them. They get married in the nude as a tradition. There is no internal sexualization with in their culture. It is just everyday life for them.

Looking at the universe as a piece of fiction, it was written in the 70s. The network demanded the short skirt even though Roddenberry hated the idea. For Voyager, they had to bring in 7 of 9 to keep the show going, just for rating sake. If it wasn't for the rating Tess would've been still in the show.
    But we are in a different era. We should grow beyond the superficiality of looks and focus on the contents.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Now the damn things on my launcher screen :mad:.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    alwaysalreadyalwaysalready Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Is it just me or is the new art approaching Evony levels of advertising?

EDIT: okay I guess it's not just me.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Ok, this is just stupid. You picked THAT TRIBBLE for the launcher!? :mad:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Is it just me or is the new art approaching Evony levels of advertising?

EDIT: okay I guess it's not just me.

Not at the least; it's one of the running gags of this thread :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Ok, having unattractive phaser ditz on the front page was just whatever, I could set bookmarks to go directly to the forums, info page, etc. But now she's stalking me on the launcher too? I want a restraining order. Seriously, she creeps me out with that vacant stare and looking like she just tripped over something and accidentally discharged her phaser at some innocent passer-by.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Ok, this is just stupid. You picked THAT TRIBBLE for the launcher!? :mad:

I had a feeling there was something horribly wrong about the launcher...

Please, put the Vesta back there! Or Romulans! Or even the Nanov! (That desperate I am for getting rid of it.)
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    YES! YES! YES! More provocative ladies please!

Since this went up my PWRD stock jumped, so is there any chance we can get a Seven look alike in a swimsuit up on the left side?

Thank you.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I am afraid i cannot agree with most of the people here.
    I think the picture of a vulcan girl wearing a cleavage heavy Starfleet esque uniform and a Starfleet Phaser looks just childish and cheap. Appealing to the lowest instincts of a male teenage MMO player...
    On the other hand Cryptic is doing everything in their powers to repel more mature Star Trek fans with their designs and politics since this game started, so i was not surprised to see the "handsome phaser guy" being replaced with a little girl.

(Btw. strangely, Cryptic likes to advertise with the cobra phaser, but in game this weapon is a joke...)
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    selmak107selmak107 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well, I decided to have a go myself at altering the background image.

Let's see now. Colorified the whole thing with a warm orange hue. Copied that, undid colorify and pasted as new layer so I can fade the coloring with the opacity slider.

Even just a faint hint of warmth does remarkable things for it. At about 50% opacity I'm looking between this and phaser guy and thinking hey, this can work.

In the end I have two filters, filter 1 being the warm colorify, filter 2 being the merge of the original image with filter 1 but only darkening the image... in other words, targeting the shadows.

So I leave filter 2 as 'darken original image' but with less opacity and move filter 1 up with much less opacity to brighten the midtones and highlights.

And this is what you get (click for whole image):

t_phaserlady.jpg

That warmer hue doesn't fit so well with the rest of the interface, but it just shows you what can be done if you have an arcane knowledge of a painting program. :P

No, I'm not an artist, else I would have drawn a nicer-looking phaser lady and taken a few more days to work on it. I'm a meddler, not a miracle worker!