Install Arc
Options

Season 7 Dev Blog #17

Comments

• Options
    usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    posted delete by player. I just don't care any more.

i expected more posts like this one tbh lol
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • Options
    mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    No one likes Human Goats more than...

well you'll figure it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmcq1ZUFhz8
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • Options
    speedofheatspeedofheat Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So I absolutely understand the need for Cryptic to balance the economy in game.

There were three concerns that DSthal raised:

Concern 1 ? Active level 50 players are refining far less Dilithium than we expect them to.
    Prior to Season 7, the average amount of Dilithium refined by an active level 50 player was 3100 per session or 13,250 per week. That is far less than the cap of 8000 per day when you consider that most level 50 players play multiple days per week and slightly more than the average hours per session.

Concern 2 ? Several missions were rewarding far more Dilithium than they should have.
    We have a guideline for how much Dilithium should be earned based on effort and time spent, and there were several missions that were clearly outside of our guidelines and players were using these missions to earn more Dilithium than we intended.

Concern 3 ? New gear being created was not in line with other pricing
    With all the new gear in the game, gear pricing needed a balance pass to ensure that the amount of Dilithium required for similar gear was consistent across the game.

I see how they addressed 2 and 3, but, I don't understand how they addressed 1 Branflakes can you explain, please, how the changes made have impacted concern 1?
    y3m-yM6W2jBAA7NpYi95PewTOHD9vSNpFGl3huKvuKsGif7jH9lBSYRtnx-AxOUzQw00u0SrjnMeAt0McFsPmCC2FoawxgX3ZON4Ork7H39MCRYsgBUn0QYSADDqYpB6wB5twq-_jNOp7AdrNeItQjiXChE9kwGvBsqc-vTz7oj3YM?width=660&height=198&cropmode=none
  • Options
    pwefailpwefail Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    the reason you were seeing such low daily/weekly dil conversions for the average player was all the alts we have,make an option in the game to mark our mains and you'll see a different amount.
    Stfs are now no longer end game content and you're super shiny new stfs will hardly get played ,because we will stop playing them due to a token reward of 5 runs for 1k dil.
    Oh and fix the frakkin fleet actions seeing as thats where most of us will go for dil now, Gorn minefield is a joke and klingon scout force warps you out as soon as you're in

wouldn't hurt to add some dil to new romulus missions either or the planet will slowly see less players.

less dilithium is the biggest mistake you guys have made to date yet.

i nearly bought the vesta and steamrunner last night,but then i realised i won't have enough dilithium to outfit them with fleet weapons any time soon,by the time i do the next new shiny ship will be out.
    you do the maths on how much from one player you lost money from.
    The player formerly known as Chunter.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Please restore some of my faith that you are an intelligent person, who can call a spade a spade:

Change this euphemism "less than straight" to the more accurate single word that is most direct and to the point. You are too smart for me to have to tell you what that word is.

I called it a lie, twice. When I use the phrase "less than straight," it's not really a euphemism the way I say it.
  • Options
    amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Does anyone find it funny that Cryptic is making such boneheaded decisions the week the SW:TOR goes F2P? Its like they want to just give away their business.
    7NGGeUP.png

• Options
    edited November 2012
    So I absolutely understand the need for Cryptic to balance the economy in game.

There were three concerns that DSthal raised:

I see how they addressed 2 and 3, but, I don't understand how they addressed 1 Branflakes can you explain, please, how the changes made have impacted concern 1?

The average character will refine more, assuming they switch all of their playtime to Fleet Actions.

As to whether the average PLAYER will, it depends on how many alts you have. This is not really an alt friendly move.

You'll see more characters hitting the refinement cap but less people playing alts.

FAs are shorter and take less skill than STFs and FAs reward more dilithium than STFs used to.

What all of this boils down to is more or less phasing out STFs as anything more than a twice a week thing and even then you could just do Borg Red Alerts and never touch an STF. The ONLY reason to touch an STF EVER now is for Mark XII gear sets because they're not needed for Omega rep. That's something like 100 runs, your choice of Elites or you can just opt not to get Mk XII gear.

These changes don't make dilithium hard to get. If you don't have alts, it's easier to get in S7.

What these changes do are make it so that alts are less valuable and STFs are pointless as something you'd want to do more than a handful of a week.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Does anyone find it funny that Cryptic is making such boneheaded decisions the week the SW:TOR goes F2P? Its like they want to just give away their business.

Well, you can try that but I think their model is much greedier than Cryptic's.

It's less about the model for me than it is about the feeling of being lied to and disrespected.
  • Options
    amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well, you can try that but I think their model is much greedier than Cryptic's.

It's less about the model for me than it is about the feeling of being lied to and disrespected.

I'm not so sure its greedier... its almost the same model as LotRO... and from what Ive heard the Operations, and Flashpoints arent all their cracked up to be... and the space missions I know for a fact blow...

but I get all 8 profession stories and can level each from 1-50... and BioWare's writing is fantastic.
    7NGGeUP.png

• Options
    kirk2021kirk2021 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I Love Star Trek

http://startrek.com
  • Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited November 2012
    Sorry Dan/Brandon/other devs, I can only see you for what you really are now, a bunch of lying stealth nerfers.

I will never play your still bugged and worthless fleet actions, and where are the fleet marks that were meant to be rewarded for doing Borg and Romulan story missions as said there would be by Dan Stahl, the man that cant?

You remove the only thing worth doing stfs for, Dilithium, And no, Omega marks are not enough as are Bnp's not enough to warrant still getting one shotted by your buggy invisible plasma torps...

Guess what, you just made my entire fleet say stuff the Omega Rep system, we aint doing it......
  • Options
    rreubenrreuben Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    To the Dev's,
    I ask one question for you all.

WHAT ARE YOU ALL SMOKING?

This dev blog makes no sense, you start off saying we don't refine enough Ore per day, so you are removing the Ore from STF's will help with that how? How can I build a star base earning less Ore then before, you change the cost of projects after my fleet gets them done, but we still have billions of Ore to earn to finish the projects for the base now the embassy and you say we don't refine enough so you take ore from the stfs which fleets need to get them done makes no logical sense, I know for one no one in my fleet had a issue with you lowering the ore to 960 for elite like you said you would but then you remove it all together. I get a feeling all you guys and girls do over there is talk and look at numbers but you all clearly forgot how to do math, if we are not refining enough a day don't strip the STF's of ore they are end game fleet activities, and do count as time played in game, I barley make enough dil a month to donate to projects as it is and you make it just that much harder.

Looks like they don't want this game to last anymore, if you want to end the game and focus all your time to neverwinter just say so stop abusing us loyal players we don't need this we need to be rewarded for the work we do in game, we Lvl 50's keep you in your jobs, I know I spent a ton of cash well over 5,000 on this game over the last 3 years but that is all done for and for everyone in my fleet, DEV's listen to us your employers and return the dil to the stfs, those are end game content, we get no xp for them, no more drops nothing but omega marks which I for one dont need as im full mk12 elite on all my toons, and those bnp are a joke 10 for 1,000 dil is a slap in the face. YOU ARE TRYING TO DISTROY THIS GAME. You are doing a good job with it, SW:TOR goes ftp in just days guess thats were my money is going to go till you FIX THIS, you TRIBBLE us true 1,000 day vets and now this you must as devs hate working and making money.

R'C, Icarus Commander.
    IcarusElite.org @rf93
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***IcarusElite.org***R'C, 1 of 3, Dr. Bellet(FED)-Pal'Kin, Lihop, Casya(KDF) LVL 50.***Jan '08 Account I EARNED my 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! LTS = Death to Vet. System: 10/10/12 Never Forget Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    darkenzedd wrote: »
    Sorry Dan/Brandon/other devs, I can only see you for what you really are now, a bunch of lying stealth nerfers.

I will never play your still bugged and worthless fleet actions, and where are the fleet marks that were meant to be rewarded for doing Borg and Romulan story missions as said there would be by Dan Stahl, the man that cant?

You remove the only thing worth doing stfs for, Dilithium, And no, Omega marks are not enough as are Bnp's not enough to warrant still getting one shotted by your buggy invisible plasma torps...

Guess what, you just made my entire fleet say stuff the Omega Rep system, we aint doing it......

Eh. You don't need STFs for the Omega system. Just do other Borg content for Omega Marks.

Omega rep works just fine without even touching STFs. Which makes STFs all the more irrelevant.
  • Options
    soidutssoiduts Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    With some STF runs when converting prototype salvages and datachips into dilithium ore, 3000-5000 ore an stf wasn't uncommon, now 5 runs to get 1000. This is definitely not making it easier for people to get ore to refine. STF missions also don't have the drops for EC which makes them even less appealing. Omega reputation is pretty much pointless for people that played previous seasons and have complete XII sets. STF's basically just hit the bucket in S7.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Point 2, certain activities were paying "above and beyond" the "desired" pay-rate, I can get down with... I envisioned 1440 per 20 min - 4320/hour (E-STF payouts) as the "maximum" rate, and 2880/hour as the "base" rate (running a 1440-wrapper in 1/2 hour) - and saw the "double B'Tran payout" of 2880 for .25 hour, or the "abuse-a-foundry"'s 1440 /.1 hour as wrong in the system.

Then I get hit with the "cold truth" of S7, that Cryptic doesn't like 4320/hour, heck, they don't even like 2880/hour, they want 2000/hour.

Which runs afoul of one of Cryptic's "big advertisements" of S7 and the thrust of this blog - being "casual player friendly". I vaguely remember that the goal of the reputation system is to advance it "full speed" with only 3x 1 hour sessions a week...

With that said, once kitted out with Mk XI (baseline) equipment (ground STF set or full loadout of Mk XI [borg] guns with a space STF set), the "Elite STF" option is "opened" up, making this sound like fun, with my "average" 3.5 hours/day, I could spend 1 of them on the "mark of the day" for reputation advancement and 2 more maxing out my Dilithium income - leaving me .5 hours/day for DOffing / chatting / admiring scenery / (re)playing an episode / fleet advancement / whatever. Under the blog's time management, I can't even max dilithium in my "average" 3.5 hours/day, nevermind trying to advance reputation / end-game gear... Unless there's some hidden desire to get me to play 5+ hours/day and give up my life outside of work - which I can't see as there isn't any advertising in STO (Jetsons-style bulletin boards? Nope. Product placement - such as a Pepsi logo on my replicator or drinking Monster Energy Drinks instead of Tea, Earl Grey, Hot on the bridge? Nope.) and the more time I spend in-game is more drain on the servers/bandwidth...

You really want to make dilithium "more plentiful" outside of E-STFs? Increase the average payout rate from 2k/hour to 3200/hour, at this rate, the "average" 3.5 hour day can get their hour of "mark of the day" in and max refining within their 3.5 hour window. 3200/hour still "too much" for the lifeless that play STO 16 hours/day? Then shoot for, say, 2300/hour (8,000 over 3.5 hours) spread 1,500/hour from "mark giving activities" and 2,600 hour from dilithium-only activities. Leave E-STFs at 3,500/hour, giving the truly skilled/elite a reason to get that skilled in the first place.

Heck, just shoot for 1,000 from "mark giving" activities and 2,500 from "dilithium only" activities, this would still drive some increase in play time while allowing casual players to get much higher than 13,000+/week...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Why are there so many people not understanding the dev blog?

I mean, really, people. It is not less dilithium, it is just aquired a bit differently. Calm down.

The point is not dilithium for me.

It's that I'm not getting a good sales pitch for why I should do STFs.
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ... Did we not just have several weeks of testing on Tribble to provide feedback for just this sort of change? Were we not told that STFs would still grant ~950 dilithium a run?

How can you expect us to trust you, and as a result *want* to work with you to support this game, if you're as deceptive here as you have been? Frankly Cryptic suck on this one.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    fakehilbertfakehilbert Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    One of the few strong parts of STO used to be that it had basically no grind and a very low gear threshold for endgame content/pvp. You have done your best to remove this advantage.

So you saw that players were earning less dilithium than expected and therefore decided to nerf dilithium rewards on some missions?

And if you really expect it to take 4h/day to get 8k dil, then you don't want players to maintain multiple characters?

Could we maybe please remove all this moneygrabbing grind and go back to monthly subs? Afterall dstahl kept telling us that STO was financially viable back then with a subscription model. Monthly subs mean that you want us to have fun and keep playing so you earn money. F2P grind means that you want to make stuff so tedious that we get annoyed and skip the grind by getting our wallet.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    dareau wrote: »
    Point 2, certain activities were paying "above and beyond" the "desired" pay-rate, I can get down with... I envisioned 1440 per 20 min - 4320/hour (E-STF payouts) as the "maximum" rate, and 2880/hour as the "base" rate (running a 1440-wrapper in 1/2 hour) - and saw the "double B'Tran payout" of 2880 for .25 hour, or the "abuse-a-foundry"'s 1440 /.1 hour as wrong in the system.

Then I get hit with the "cold truth" of S7, that Cryptic doesn't like 4320/hour, heck, they don't even like 2880/hour, they want 2000/hour.

Which runs afoul of one of Cryptic's "big advertisements" of S7 and the thrust of this blog - being "casual player friendly". I vaguely remember that the goal of the reputation system is to advance it "full speed" with only 3x 1 hour sessions a week...

With that said, once kitted out with Mk XI (baseline) equipment (ground STF set or full loadout of Mk XI [borg] guns with a space STF set), the "Elite STF" option is "opened" up, making this sound like fun, with my "average" 3.5 hours/day, I could spend 1 of them on the "mark of the day" for reputation advancement and 2 more maxing out my Dilithium income - leaving me .5 hours/day for DOffing / chatting / admiring scenery / (re)playing an episode / fleet advancement / whatever. Under the blog's time management, I can't even max dilithium in my "average" 3.5 hours/day, nevermind trying to advance reputation / end-game gear... Unless there's some hidden desire to get me to play 5+ hours/day and give up my life outside of work - which I can't see as there isn't any advertising in STO (Jetsons-style bulletin boards? Nope. Product placement - such as a Pepsi logo on my replicator or drinking Monster Energy Drinks instead of Tea, Earl Grey, Hot on the bridge? Nope.) and the more time I spend in-game is more drain on the servers/bandwidth...

You really want to make dilithium "more plentiful" outside of E-STFs? Increase the average payout rate from 2k/hour to 3200/hour, at this rate, the "average" 3.5 hour day can get their hour of "mark of the day" in and max refining within their 3.5 hour window. 3200/hour still "too much" for the lifeless that play STO 16 hours/day? Then shoot for, say, 2300/hour (8,000 over 3.5 hours) spread 1,500/hour from "mark giving activities" and 2,600 hour from dilithium-only activities. Leave E-STFs at 3,500/hour, giving the truly skilled/elite a reason to get that skilled in the first place.

Heck, just shoot for 1,000 from "mark giving" activities and 2,500 from "dilithium only" activities, this would still drive some increase in play time while allowing casual players to get much higher than 13,000+/week...

The current payout, I can tell you from an evening of play, is around 3456 per hour. More from the academy event. It's only 8k over 4 hours if you also run events that don't award ANY dilithium, which drags the average down.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    LOL!!! love how people want to go to TOR...lol I'm sorry but EA is pure evil and nothing NOTHING PWE can do to top how evil EA is I mean dear god they take great franchises and literately kill them off, and companies and take them apart and spit them out.

If you're going to threaten Cryptic with going to a different game...pick a company with less of a track record than EA.

anyhow

Cryptic...wow....they are angry and they have a good reason to be angry. You could have avoided this by saying this from the start and deal with the storm when you announced that you were cutting the Dilithium I mean you saw how bad that got, than to wait till the last second...not even the last seconds several hours after launch. Now you have to deal with a storm at launch of S7 ouch.

I still like you guys but wow I hate to be you guys right now. :eek:

P.S love S7:D just don't like not being told a head of time on something, even with good reason you should have said something waaay before.

I will leave this for you so you can think about this next time you forget to tell us stuff. I think we can see similarities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W0ff2Xns5g
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Basically, just treat Romulan and Borg content as having a hidden dilithium cost of around 3450 dilithium per hour.
  • Options
    rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I ran 4 elite STFs, a Tau Dewa system patrol, the Romulan ship rescue, and got zero dilithuim.

You didn't make dilithium less available. You made it unavailable.
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• Options
    digimatldigimatl Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hm. First part of text it is stated we should be able to earn more dilithium, right?

Why is it then that in the "changelog" i only read about dilithium reward cuts and more things (former "free" omega Sets, an Ambassy and Rep System) needing Dilithium?

I will try it out ingame, but i really think that new system doesnt work for us players, as the majority of answers already indicates.

Season 7 as a content update looked very promising and what i saw on tribble was a major step forward in quality, but making dilithium unavaliable may have blown the game for all more casual players....maybe it will come true, no Star Trek installment can run for more than 7 Seasons :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tjexcimer500tjexcimer500 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I enjoyed STO and earned dilithium by doing the things that were suitable to me. Now those things have lost their dilithium rewards. So in order to earn dilithium I must game in a manner I never liked! Way to remove all the fun out of a game for many of your customers! Good job!

Your customers who have payed attention warned you for weeks not to make these changes. You didn't listen, as usual. Now as others learn of this they too are complaining. What will it take for you to listen?

As one of your customers pointed out: no Star Trek show has ever made it past Season 7...

S7: Shaka, when the walls fell.
    Many of us are like Shaka now; standing there staring; wondering why you did this. Looking for somewhere else to run to.

Rules of acquisition that apply to S7:
    10. Greed is eternal.
    15. Acting stupid is often smart.
    19. Satisfaction is not guaranteed.
    20. When the customer is sweating, turn up the heat.
    41. Profit is its own reward.
    60. Keep your lies consistent.
    82. The flimsier the product, the higher the price.
    106. There is no honor in poverty.
    181. Not even dishonesty can tarnish the shine of profit.
    202. The justification for profit is profit.
    239. Never be afraid to mislabel a product.
    266. When in doubt, lie.
    284. Deep down, everyone's a Ferengi.

However the most important one was one that wasn't adhered to:
    57. Good customers are as rare as latinum--treasure them.
    There are Four Lights... say no to ARC
    Fleet: 1st Order of Role-Players' Guild - gaming together since 2004
  • Options
    mcghiey13mcghiey13 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I like ships. I like em a lot. I like to log on, jump in a different ship every day, and go blow stuff up with them. Now, I cannot afford the dollars it would take to buy every ship that comes down the line, the Vesta for example.. Christmas is coming, I have a wife and kids... I'm not gonna have $50 extra bucks to get this ship. Now, I understand that if I cannot afford this ship class, or any other, then I have to make a sacrifice... and that sacrifice is my time. I was quite happy that we at least had an alternative to spending money, in order to obtain C-store items we liked, including my ship. New ships... LOTS OF SHIPS.. is my style of gaming. I do a little bit of everything in game, and I like to do it in different ships.

I spend WAY TOO MUCH TIME playing STO. Plenty of days I've gone to work without sleep, because I felt a desire to blow the hell out of more bad guys.. in my shiny new ship. Again, I realize, this is my sacrifice, I must go without sleep, because my income doesn't allow me to support a family (after dropping for a lifetime membership and spending WAY more money than I will EVER admit to my wife), and buy Zen monthly to buy C-store items. You clowns just put the screws to players like me.
    Your logic... "people aren't refining enough dilith... so lets remove their options to gain dilith", is RIDICULOUS, and bordering on psychosis... Get your heads out of your rear ends please.
  • Options
    varmenduzonvarmenduzon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm an avid gamer who is retired, has money to spend and did spend it liberally in the c-store prior to the most recent changes, but that is coming to an end. After playing the STFs on several of my toons today I am now just sitting here totally unmotivated to do a single thing other than express in this post how much I hate what you dreamed up to stimulate revenue. Hell, I wanted you to be successful and continue developing the game (your new content is thin and unimaginative, btw, just a veneer for the underlying purpose). But you have just shot a big hole in your foot and don't yet realize that you are going to bleed to death.

I have a Wow account that I haven't touched for months and was wondering what to do about it. I'm glad I didn't take any steps to cancel my subscription because that's where I am being driven to return. I can't say that I will be sorry to see you get what you deserve for so totally f***ing up this game. Greed on you corporate buffoons.
  • Options
    waarderwaarder Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Can someone please tell my why people complain so much, but still play?
    If you dont like it, go and play an other mmo
    if you dont like it but like the came to much. Suck it up and Shut your.....

90% of all forum posts are complaints. I can imagine the dev's dont like it that much. and just stoped listening. i would do the same if i was a dev..

If you want people to help you, be a littlebit more relaxed and give tips. dont burn down the house.
  • Options
    mcghiey13mcghiey13 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    waarder wrote: »

because quite a lot of us have spent $X00.00 's of dollars
  • Options
    thesaxladthesaxlad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    waarder wrote: »

90% of all forum posts are complaints. I can imagine the dev's dont like it that much. and just stoped listening. i would do the same if i was a dev..

If you want people to help you, be a littlebit more relaxed and give tips. dont burn down the house.

Normally I would agree with you, but in this case the WHOLE player base is shouting out- not just a select few moany self-centred prats. This one update has effectively killed the game for everyone.

Also unsuprisingly, no mod OR Dev contact in this thread at all (Not to mention devtracker is "Broken (working as intended)" so we cant track dev posts)

So heres whats need to happen Dstahl or Brandon or someone needs to get their TRIBBLE in gear and get in here! You need to listen to the players and come up with a workable solution preferably prior to the next patch- because if you dont the money making aspect of this game WILL dry up as players leaver for SW:TOR and other games that are currently going FTP.

The only way the devs are going to correct this (if they ever do) is listening to the whole player base crying out and sorting the problem using one of the many solutions posted in 12 pages of thread.

and just a little note for any mod who walks in here, as a fellow mod from another gaming forum...

CUTTING THIS THREAD OFF NOW IS ABOUT THE WORST THING YOU COULD DO!
    In game addy @thesaxlad invites for STF's and PUG PvP's welcome :)