test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Good-bye, old friend! Hello phaser lady!

Comments

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    As they say, "Sex sells."

Excluding ditzy T'Bosom there, it's a nice picture. :)
  • Options
    mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Can't really do much about the "Sex that sells" stuff, but the Star Trek franchise started out blatantly sexist, I recall the very first episode made me cringe... and a few TNG episodes as well. But it got better, then took a nose dive with T'Pol, Seven of Nine was pretty bad, but no where by comparison to T'Pol. They could remove the cleavage and that would make things much better. The art is good, but it doesn't match... common sense when you think of ... uh Vulcans? Ah well, Cryptic is going to play every card trick they can on us. Personally I don't mind the clothing, but it just doesn't make sense... why a Vulcan huh?
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    I like it and think its a good image to accompany the new Season. Its pretty tame actually :cool:

.... searches for the Vulcan Love Slave holonovel ...

The Revenge?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Easy fix. Just replace it with a Pakled babe.
  • Options
    daharmasterklagdaharmasterklag Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Wow.. lotta angst and rage over nothing. :rolleyes:

Cryptic's time would be better spent fixing the broken mechanics and unbalanced aspects of the game IMO. ;)
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    im really at a loss for words.. with all that is wrong with the game, we are worried about a cartoon image, of a woman who is still fully dressed on the cover of the web page.. wow.. just wow..

pump the breaks dude, i have a few women in my fleet who thought it was a really cool image, it is a video game, it is what it is.. we had 7 of nine in what was easily the tightest uniform ever. we had tpol in her underwear in most episodes where they deconned. this is much tamer compared to that. even the original series was sexist to women.. kirk always sleeping with them and eyeing them. and lets not forget that diana troy was not in a uniform till the end of the show. she was the only person on the ship wearing a "tight" usually somewhat revealing get up.. i mean there was an episode or two where a man was wearing a short skirt. you dont see me calling anyone out..

if you dont like it, dont look at it.. for the most part, most women i know who have seen this and i play with alot, and date one) have said it is harmless and not worth getting worked up about..

pump the breaks, take a chill pill, and worry about some of the crappy bugs in the game..
  • Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Huh, threads got merged. Typical. If anyone is not offended, fine, that's your opinion. My opinion is that I am offended. Pretty much anywhere else in a first world country, that would be enough to get something done.

I would see nothing wrong with "I'm a confident female starfleet captain" or "I'm a headstrong romulan convert to starfleet, leaping into action." They tend to keep their clothes on at least, unlike Miss "I've got an open top in combat and I'm hoping that the enemy is too distracted looking at my TRIBBLE to blow me away."

Seriously, grow up and bring back phaser dude until you do.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    kwiat007kwiat007 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I just heard a rumor that with every new season they are going to remove a piece of wardrobe from "the phaser bimbo". Anybody can confirm?:D:D:D
    [SIGPIC]Join Date: August 2009[/SIGPIC]
    I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
    where R.S.E. is what it always should be.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I guess the general consensus is T'TRIBBLE gotta go.:( I say "hell no":mad: The klingon faction wants something klingon, added to the scene. I say, they add "Fritz the Ferasan" chasing her with his drooling tougue hanging out, and lust in his eyes.Maybe, Mr. Winkie in hand.
    If it's circling the drain, might as well drop a dookie in there.:D
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well, Roxy...Then Phaser guy. You know the economy is bad, when they start outsourcing cartoons....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    endafreshendafresh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    hypl wrote: »
    As they say, "Sex sells."

Excluding ditzy T'Bosom there, it's a nice picture. :)

That's no longer the case. It is NO LONGER true that 'sex sells'. The year is now 2012 (soon to be 2013) and not 1912 or 1952 or whatever. Ironically, the image of sex appeal caters to base instincts but also affects males in particular. When we see T&A we completely forget everything else, including the brand you are trying to promote. Thank you random program on the Discovery channel for going over the science in an informative and funny way :)

Budweiser does some shameless T&A? Sure we might remember the commercial but we won't remember what it was about or who was in it or what brand was associated with it. Short-term memory due to lack of blood flow to the brain...*cough*

So in other words, sex no longer sells. Period. In fact it has the OPPOSITE effect of causing a brand to LOSE money, lots of money, including potential profits from FEMALE consumers. You know, half the human race? >_>

The year is 2012, females work and vote (and prevented certain Republicans from keeping/entering office) so welcome to the future.

Time to grow the hell up, PWE, Cryptic, and the rest of the kids reading this. Grow up and realize that is not a realistic female portrayal and it is disgusting pandering shameless distasteful and POORLY DONE 'artwork'.

I do agree with one thing though. Get rid of Miss BoobTacular and show us the background! =D

EDIT: FFS people, stop flooding my PM box...I'm done here...I've said my piece! >_>
    As a straight male, I'm more interested in sexy ships than airheaded bimbos, though of course I may be biased cause I get laid often enough that I no longer have that 'horny all the time' mentality. *shrug*
  • Options
    rumbleprumblep Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I wasn't gonna say anything but having read all the responses... I dont have a problem with the chick directly... while I do agree the pose shes in is ridiculous... my only problem is that she's a VULCAN. Not a Romulan... forehead is all wrong to be a Romulan. Fix the ears, throw on some dots and make her a trill, that'd be fine... or skip the dots then she can be several different races. To further compound the issue, who doesn't look at what they're shooting? Honestly... thats about as smart as shooting a gun at noise when your house is being broken into. Sure you may get the guy, but you got the neighbors to... thats not very neighborly and extremely illogical...totally not vulcan. I dont have a problem with the chick really, strip her nude if ya wanna, i dont care.... but please for the love of god make it look like you actually care about your product... honor the lore... Case and point to argue for a nude chick... on betazed its not out of the realm of normal to get married naked, and all the guests be as attired as the bride and groom...

I dont even Roleplay anymore and this bugs me from a lore stand point.
    -Captain Saffrin
    Federation 12th Cavalry
    Deep Space 19/USS Montana
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I guess an Orion slave girl was too obvious a choice...
    <3
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Wow.. lotta angst and rage over nothing. :rolleyes:

Rage? This is full-on mockery. Admittedly, T'Its is probably more accurate to what ya see running around ESD, but still...... *chuckles*
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    twg042370 wrote: »
    I guess an Orion slave girl was too obvious a choice...

In that case change her skin color to green, fix the ears... and there ya be... cept thats against the game a lil bit... orions are KDF lol. IDC honestly what cryptic is gonna do for advertiseing just bugging me the shes a green blooded vulcan posin like that... All that emotion on her face...

Just odd and wrong to me... but honestly the orion slave girl holdin a disruptor in a bikini and loincloths woulda been a better choice... but maybe she'da been smart enough to actually look in the direction she was shooting... rather then have the "I'm all by myself and must provide my own covering fire while tryin not to trip and run" look on her face. Ugly face too...probably had to tie a steak to her neck to get the dog to play with her. woofwoof
    -Captain Saffrin
    Federation 12th Cavalry
  • Options
    farshot927farshot927 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    My opinion? Put her on the right side and phaser dude on the left, perhaps in some original artwork.

For now though, here's a very large version. Take it or leave it.

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/en/sto/redesign2012/home/main-background2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    farshot927 wrote: »
    My opinion? Put her on the right side and phaser dude on the left, perhaps in some original artwork.

For now though, here's a very large version. Take it or leave it.

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/en/sto/redesign2012/home/main-background2.jpg

Leave it... lol

Just wrong... in so many ways...
    -Captain Saffrin
    Federation 12th Cavalry
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    Helooooo Emma Watson Vulcan babe :D
    I'm not sure I agree with you there, I thought T'TRIBBLE had a resemblance to Kirsten Stewart.
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    The klingon faction wants something klingon, added to the scene. I say, they add "Fritz the Ferasan" chasing her with his drooling tougue hanging out, and lust in his eyes.
    BAHAHAHAHAHAH :D
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Why the pointy ears ?
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Here is a Neutral face...contact her and use her likeness...
    Link
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    dalnar83 wrote: »
    Why the pointy ears ?

...because she's a Vulcan?
  • Options
    sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I approve.

Flaunt it if you got it.

Space Michael Bloomberg does not approve of Space Fatties.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • Options
    amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Given the fact that this came with Season 7 (which happens to be all about Romulans...) why are we assuming the hot phaser lady is a Vulcan? Considering the background is that of New Romulus I'd say shes a Romulan...

Infact I'd go check out the New Romulus Ruins (1) screenshot in the screenshot gallery. Theres another Romulan looking person wearing the same uniform...
    7NGGeUP.png

• Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    See: http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/www/92/89/92899181e9214b63e8e2a2ba4b5153c21352836641.jpg

Talking into consideration Season 7 is Romulan-focused, why is there what appears to be a Vulcan (or TOS-style/JJ-style Romulan) as the promotional art? This girl has no forehead ridges at all.

Did the Romulans suddenly iron out their heads? Maybe they've been playing around with Human-Augment DNA too.....
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    Handsome Phaser Dude kept that title despite been in a perfectly standard uniform, stick her in the same uniform. Problem solved.

Or replace with a Packled.

Vulcan or Romulan. Not all Romulans have the forehead ridges remember.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    flash525 wrote: »
    See: http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/www/92/89/92899181e9214b63e8e2a2ba4b5153c21352836641.jpg

Talking into consideration Season 7 is Romulan-focused, why is there what appears to be a Vulcan (or TOS-style/JJ-style Romulan) as the promotional art? This girl has no forehead ridges at all.

Did the Romulans suddenly iron out their heads? Maybe they've been playing around with Human-Augment DNA too.....

link does not work

as klingons have all kinds of forehead ridges, so have the romulans. Some ridges are bigger, some almost not there. They have common ancestry with the vulcans, and it was not so long ago, in fact the "ridges" problem was not really discussed in the official lore.. not at all..

I personally would go with Romulans WITHOUT ridges and add a possibility for having them.

The evil guy in the last ST film was Romulan and also had NONE ridges.. so?
  • Options
    keestrompkeestromp Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It looks to my like she trips, accidentally fires here phaser, and is like as emotional about it as Kristen Stewart :P
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    keestromp wrote: »
    and is like as emotional about it as Kristen Stewart :P

Being a Vulcan, she should be. Yes, I said Vulcan. For the simple fact she is in a starfleet uniform. Romulans haven't joined Starfleet. Even ones who wear their uniforms with the zip pretty much all the way down.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    She's a Vulcan who's putting aside differences between her people to help her distant brethren in the hopes of a brighter future.

Seriously, if they put a Romulan there then I'm pretty sure people would have started expecting to play a Romulan. If that functionality isn't made available then you've got heaps of unhappy people.
  • Options
    sirricwinsirricwin Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    keestromp wrote: »
    It looks to my like she trips, accidentally fires here phaser, and is like as emotional about it as Kristen Stewart :P

Lol. Leave K Stew alone, she's had a hard time already what with dating too many guys, living the Hollywood lifestyle and 'staring' in blockbuster films.... (not even I can keep a straight face for that last one one lol)

Back on topic though, this lady in the promo pic isn't a Romulan at all. Look at the Federation uniform and Federation starships in the background.
    However, it would have made more sense to have a Romulan or Reman character in the promo material, with a variety of factions ships in the background not actually attacking eachother.

And that Romulan with a smooth head in the movie wasn't a Romulan at all :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]