test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Good-bye, old friend! Hello phaser lady!

Comments

• Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Dammit I don't mind seeing a fairly exposed woman. As a man, I'm rather favorable to it.

But the more I look at the frontpage the more I realise how bad the drawing actually is. I apologise if that was someone's side project being done in their free time, but it just looks bad. Even using the Vulcan from the magazine frontpage would look better.

Please get some quality picture or just keep the "phaser guy". (You could also try to show there's a second faction somewhere.)
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have to agree, hot Vulcan babe FTW, but super blue on blue with more blue scenery blows chunks.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Helooooo Emma Watson Vulcan babe :D
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Federation showed as much skin and the Klingons.... you couldn't even keep a shirt on kirk.

How do we know it's NOT mirror universe?
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    daharmasterklagdaharmasterklag Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    bumbleduck wrote: »
    Dear Prudes,

Did you never notice Star Trek has always been full of hot women? LOL. I find your outrageous indignation highly amusing.

Anyway I hope this new image becomes available as a wallpaper ASAP.

I agree all the politically correct ranting makes me lol.

The only thing really wrong is all the "blue" on the front page now - blech!
  • Options
    hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Do we ever stand a chance of having the rank pips she has on?

Do we ever stand a chance of getting her as a contact (or date)?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Makes me think of that 'Vulcan love' slave program we constantly heard about in DS9 series...

Play my foundry mission "Vulcan Love Slave #9" please. (when the foundry comes back).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Someone was looking at my bridge crew when they drew that...

Excellent piece of art.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    aliendejouraliendejour Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well at least te previous one had a ghostly image of Klingons in the background.
    This one seems to have forgotten all about the KDF...

Wait! There's a Klingon faction too!!! :D
  • Options
    umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    As some have noticed, Season 7 going live was commemorated with a new piece of artwork starring New Romulus, some Tholians getting the first hits on hero ships, and a vulcan woman dressed up in pieces of the Odyssey uniform you can buy from the Tailor in Fleet Starbases (with the academy skirt and high-heel boots).

So, congrats on the launch of Season 7. And kudos on the art - I know it's a mixed bag with people, but I like it.

However, I have a couple of questions!

1) I bought the Open Jacket uniforms from the C-Store. How long until we get an open jacket version of the Odyssey uniform? ~_^

2) As I am slightly colorblind, I'd be interested in artists providing an idea of how to have the Odyssey uniform in-game customized to match the colors shown on the Pretty Phaser Lady - there are official colors for the Sierra and Jupiter uniforms... but nothing was hinted at until now for the Odyssey uniforms (y'know, like "Tunic A9, F17, H2" or something).
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well i haven't posted in a while, but seeing the new season 7 frontpage has given me a reason to do so.

I cannot believe how absurdly bad she looks. I don't normally have an issue with revealing outfits or uniforms. But this is just gratuitous and cheap.

She is a captain in starfleet, yet can't seem to pay attention to where she is aiming her phaser, the cleavage is tastelessly right above the download button, and she is falling over, apparently because she is too top heavy, or maybe because she is too empty headed to walk and shoot phasers at the same time.

You want a vulcan chick in a revealing outfit? Fine. But for the love of Trek, make it tasteful! Make her look competent! Make her look like she actually earned her command through hard work and accomplishments, not by being on assignment under Quinn's desk!

She could have been pointing the phaser at us, held in both hands with a look on her face that says she means business, and in that pose, her TRIBBLE would have had plenty of reason to be pressed together.

Or perhaps she could have been sitting in a chair looking stressed and a bit tired at a mountain of reports to explain her dressing down. Its the kind of scene that says here is a competent, attractive woman trying to fix these problems, but there's just too much for one person.

So honestly, give us something better. You can dress her however you want, but make her look like she isn't a bimbo tripping over her own feet about to complain about breaking a nail, because the caption for that picture screams, "Like OMG, I dropped my phaser!"
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    Helooooo Emma Watson Vulcan babe :D

My thoughts precisely.
    Scarily similar.

As for others tripping over comments

http://sto.perfectworld.com/wordpress/service/img.php?postid=747111&type=redesign
    She's running and in mid stride.

I too would also find it hard to run one way whilst firing in another direction.

Though I have to admit, Trek Fed uniforms are typically more conservative. Although it does convey what the game allows you to dress like...
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If it is not clear from my new Avatar and Sig.
    I am not a fan of the new artwork.
    Three professional artist friends looked at this.
    2 outright laughed.
    Their comments :
    (1) Is she running or falling ?
    (2) Not looking where firing her gun
    (3) Overall 'Cheesecake' fanservice look to the artwork.
    (4) Bad choice for a company trying to appeal to a broad array of fans.
    (5) So, you're playing Evony Online now ?
    and my favorite
    (6) One look at that front page, and I would close the site, and never look back.

I think I am gonna go commission a new human Tactical Boff and name him Handsome Phaser Guy.
  • Options
    kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Ok, so I pretty much never go to the main site, but I just did and check out.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/

It looks like it the return of the PC Gamer open vest uniform.

http://gamerinvestments.com/video-game-stocks/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/star-trek-onine-gold-edition-contents.jpg

Kinda strange to see it make a come back considering we weren't allowed to have it cut that low. Maybe PWE doesn't care about the ERSB and we could see this added to the Lobi store to squeeze a few more pennies from the player base.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I've followed hippiejon's example and put Handsom Phaser Guy in my signature. I encourage you all to do the same if you'd like to see him return.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I've followed hippiejon's example and put Handsom Phaser Guy in my signature. I encourage you all to do the same if you'd like to see him return.

Hello.
    I am HippieJohn, and I approve this message. :D

I know this is strange.
    I should be upset about the Dilithium Nerfs or what have you.
    But I just can't bring myself to care.
    Not really.
    But this, this is the thing I wind up caring about.
  • Options
    kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Am I slow to the party when was Generic white trek dude replaced with the Vulcan love slave?
  • Options
    herbie1966herbie1966 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Who's the Genius that put the DOWNLOAD Button..., Right There !?!?

That is the most overtly suggestive, poorly thought out part of the whole thing.

I wonder how long it would have been around if somebody had made it for their signature ??
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Saw her, don't like it, too much sexism in it and it is not StarFleet approiate
    Treat her with the same standard as the former was...
    Yes, good-bye, old friend! But... Hello "Pretty Phaser Lady"!!!

You might need to refresh or clear your cache to see her.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    QFT...Here,here..
    Well i haven't posted in a while, but seeing the new season 7 frontpage has given me a reason to do so.

I cannot believe how absurdly bad she looks. I don't normally have an issue with revealing outfits or uniforms. But this is just gratuitous and cheap.

She is a captain in starfleet, yet can't seem to pay attention to where she is aiming her phaser, the cleavage is tastelessly right above the download button, and she is falling over, apparently because she is too top heavy, or maybe because she is too empty headed to walk and shoot phasers at the same time.

You want a vulcan chick in a revealing outfit? Fine. But for the love of Trek, make it tasteful! Make her look competent! Make her look like she actually earned her command through hard work and accomplishments, not by being on assignment under Quinn's desk!

She could have been pointing the phaser at us, held in both hands with a look on her face that says she means business, and in that pose, her TRIBBLE would have had plenty of reason to be pressed together.

Or perhaps she could have been sitting in a chair looking stressed and a bit tired at a mountain of reports to explain her dressing down. Its the kind of scene that says here is a competent, attractive woman trying to fix these problems, but there's just too much for one person.

So honestly, give us something better. You can dress her however you want, but make her look like she isn't a bimbo tripping over her own feet about to complain about breaking a nail, because the caption for that picture screams, "Like OMG, I dropped my phaser!"
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    ltsmithltsmith Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Honestly thought the phaser guy was better still glad my game case has him, this new lady is wierd and I refuse to acknowloge here preseasnce.
  • Options
    endafreshendafresh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Time to TLDR this mother. This is what I'm referring to.

If anyone wants to respond, please post pictures of the sexy ladies of Star Trek, done RIGHT!

This linked image insults me directly, not just as a straight heterosexual male but as a human being. As someone who has love and adoration for all the sexy ladies of Star Trek, the vast majority of whom were portrayed in a sensual yet respectful light (considering the PG-rated viewers at the time).

Lets ignore everything after ST:Voyager for the time being since that has been said to take place in a parallel universe or whatever they wanted to pull.

This goes out to both Cryptic and PWE. Who is your audience for STO? Who?
    The answer: EVERYONE. You want and need as much money from as many players as possible, of BOTH genders. There is ZERO reason to EVER TRIBBLE off HALF (or more) of your current (and potential) playerbase with **** like this!

Cut dat **** out PWE. Cut the male-gaze pandering. Cut the stupid pseudo-elven females with plunging necklines. Cut it out, now. You don't need it. You need to be the ONE mmo that females can join in and feel a part of the community instead of joining a 'mens club' like almost every other MMO has been. Cryptic did it with City of Heroes so time to keep up the reputation.

Cryptic. I don't care if you're owned by PWE. At least SOME of you have to be offended by this and voice that loudly to PWE or they won't care. PWE are Chinese Ferengi, so treat them appropriately when dealing with them.

Star Trek has had sexy ladies across the series, but this artwork isn't done tastefully or even lore-accurate (what race is she? Vulcan? Romulan?). It is poorly shoddily-made craptastic 'artwork'.

I guarantee there are hundreds of starving artists on several art-focused communities across the entire internet who will bend over backwards to make you FREE artwork for your promotions that is sexy and WAY better than this ****. All you have to do is make it a contest, maybe throw in some free ZEN and guaranteed credit/recognition within the game credits and website. That's it.

Not this ****. Do NOT **** this up PWE, damn Chinese Ferengi. >_>
    Or you'll find we're more than happy to take all your GPL and shove it down your frontal lobes.
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I like it and think its a good image to accompany the new Season. Its pretty tame actually :cool:

.... searches for the Vulcan Love Slave holonovel ...
  • Options
    supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's just cover art.
    endafresh wrote: »
    Lets ignore everything after ST:Voyager for the time being since that has been said to take place in a parallel universe or whatever they wanted to pull.

wat

So, I assume you're super angry over the Orion women, then? The ones with the lack of clothing, the pheromones, the loincloths?

EDIT: Cryptic must be following Rules #30 and #41. lol
  • Options
    rageycage559rageycage559 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    You're really throwing a hissy fit over that? An open jacket you can buy in game and not much cleavage and a skirt? Oh jeez.
  • Options
    heinekoheineko Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Its a blatant continuation of the terrible tradition started by Evony. Why should it have even come to this.

We can choose not to BUY the open jacket option. We however, cannot choose what image is promoted on other websites. And with the OP, I hate the message this is sending out!

I know Gene was just another tv producer who made good, but ever since TNG, I've always wanted to believe Star Trek represented something more grown-up.

This is a step backwards. Not just for us female enthusiasts, but for every one who wear the uniform, or fight with Klingon honor!

Change it back! Phaser Dude was so much better than this!!

I guess the naysayers were right. Star Trek is dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Captain Ruri Gokou of the U.S.S. Kitty Hawk
    Catian Atrox Carrier
  • Options
    kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have to agree with you here. This is offensive and distasteful. At LEAST give her a proper military uniform, not this "sexelf" costume.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    kyeto13 wrote: »
    I have to agree with you here. This is offensive and distasteful. At LEAST give her a proper military uniform, not this "sexelf" costume.

This, times 10.
    I have NO problem with 'sexy' when it is done PROPERLY and LORE-APPROPRIATE (or at least justified somehow).

Seven of Nine, a blatant overtly sexual symbol and a 'Liberated Borg' but she had PERSONALITY that made her MORE than just a sexual object.

Deanna Troi, ship's counselor and a really fantastic 'MILF' in many ways, but she had PERSONALITY that made her MORE than just a sexual object.

Need I go on?
    The woman in the picture offends me because (knowing what little I know about art) the posing and emphasis in the picture tends to draw 'male gaze' toward her mammary glands. This hurts me as a male and a human being because I'm not some horny teenage **** virgin who goes 'OOO BOOBIES' every other minute. I did that back TEN YEARS AGO.

Game advertisers/marketers still haven't grown up, have they?

Also more importantly, my informal survey of dozens of ESD residents has the population estimated at well over half FEMALE. I'm sure they don't appreciate the emphasis being poorly attributed to T&A.

And FINALLY, Star Trek has NEVER been about sex appeal ALONE. Part of Star Trek has often been about exploration of our humanity and what it means for us as a species. Advancing beyond our base and crude instinctual needs.

This? This 'artwork'? Its ****. It is poorly drawn, offends almost everyone who isn't a virgin, and it reflects poorly on STO as a whole.

Hey PWE, fire the marketer/promoter of that image and hire me instead. I'll get you 1000x the quality at less than half the cost. How can even a Chinese Ferengi say no to that? ^_^

December 20th, 1987. Phantasy Star 1 for the Sega Master System (an 8-bit console) was released in Japan and featured a 15 year old female as the main protagonist that you controlled directly as your avatar in the game. Absolutely ZERO of the marketing or artwork was done to emphasis or show off her female attributes.

November 13, 2012. So much progress, right? :P
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    That's the face of a woman who wants to get the emotions Pon Farr'd out of her... Hard. That does seem like it would be inappropriate for star trek to have a vulcun looking to make "
    first contact" with her TRIBBLE on display.

As much as i like the female form this does seem a bit sexist as well as inappropriate for the main page. to make it worse though it perfectly fits cryptics image of what the players must look like since they seem so intent to "let us have it" for lack of a more forum appropriate term.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    What bothers me more than the image is that PWE believes this is what the male players want. They're ignoring at least half their playerbase and playing a dangerous game by doing so.