test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Challenge #5 Discussion Thread

Comments

• diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    afalconer wrote: »
    I'm planning a Federation Mission to take place after Boldly they Rode. I've done a 3 missions but still learning. Try to learn something new on each mission so hoping this contest will push me a bit more.
    And thank you for the welcome :)

:eek:

I thought everyone would do a breen/deferi mission since the conclusion of the last episode is quite open and gives a lot of interesting opportunities. But there will be 3 6th cardassian episodes. Well. Anyone willing to make a 4th one? :D
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    :eek:

I thought everyone would do a breen/deferi mission since the conclusion of the last episode is quite open and gives a lot of interesting opportunities. But there will be 3 6th cardassian episodes. Well. Anyone willing to make a 4th one? :D
    :confused: Mine has nothing to do with Cardassians. :p Sure it follows up on the Dominion FE, but it doesn't have anything to do with Cardassians.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • muarenmuaren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Mine is all done- except for polish now.
    Unfortunately not many will end up playing it since it's a Klingon level 31+ mission.
    I thought about making it any level but thought it would lose something that way.
    edited October 2012
    muaren wrote: »
    Unfortunately not many will end up playing it since it's a Klingon level 31+ mission.
    I thought about making it any level but thought it would lose something that way.
    I will. I promise to brutally maul any enemies that are unfortunate enough to spawn on your maps. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Mission Title: Beneath The Raptors Wing
    @Handle: @rickysmith1
    Faction: United Federation of Planets
    Level Requirement: 31+
    Mission Summary: Earth Stands Alone; the Earth-Romulan War has cost millions of lifes and reshaped this part of the Milky Way for eons, but what happens when your ship is used to avert one of the most climatic battles in history into their favour?
    Can you alone save the Legends of Starfleets History and restore the Federation before the Romulans conquest of the Alpha Quadrent is realised?
    Creation Status: Maps & Story Complete, Testing in Progress

Completed.

BeneathTheRaptorsWing.jpg

isn't that a novel?
    CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
    edited October 2012
    muaren wrote: »

You shouldn't restrict yourself upon this standard. Mine will probably be level 46+ and I don't mind if only 5 people play it, because I need a couple of undine mobs to build a consistent mission. I could choose something else but it wouldn't be good for immersion.

You didn't make a bad decision. People not having a lvl 50 kdf char did. :D
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited October 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    You shouldn't restrict yourself upon this standard. Mine will probably be level 46+ and I don't mind if only 5 people play it, because I need a couple of undine mobs to build a consistent mission. I could choose something else but it wouldn't be good for immersion.

You didn't make a bad decision. People not having a lvl 50 kdf char did. :D

I was considering making a duplicate mission 'Cold Silence- Any Level' that would be the exact same mission but for anyone with a Klingon character but even within that mission caption I would put in "If you have a 31+ level character play 'Cold Silence' mission instead for the real experience (almost like the directors cut of the mission)"

But then I thought it wouldn't be fair within the competition because there would theoretically be two mission in there which isn't allowed.
  • rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    cers001 wrote: »
    isn't that a novel?

Based on the novel but the mission isn't anything like it, I guess you could call it a homage of the novel. :D
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • soriedemsoriedem Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    my mission is basically done. it's a follow up to the coliseum mission from the romulan series for the KDF faction. It's any level, so hopefully people will get a chance to check it out. I tried to do something unique with one of the maps. It's something that i haven't heard anyone try before or i have seen in game. So, please feel free to check it out once the competition begins. :D
    edited October 2012
    soriedem wrote: »
    my mission is basically done. it's a follow up to the coliseum mission from the romulan series for the KDF faction. It's any level, so hopefully people will get a chance to check it out. I tried to do something unique with one of the maps. It's something that i haven't heard anyone try before or i have seen in game. So, please feel free to check it out once the competition begins. :D

I'll be checking it out for sure!
  • klintobean81klintobean81 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This should be a really interesting challenge. I'm looking forward to playing everyone's mission! As much as I would like to participate - my schedule is pretty hectic right now. I'll be sitting this one out.

-Klintobean
    edited November 2012
    When can the UK publish their missions?
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So season 7 , which is sure to shut the foundry off for a few days starts on the 13th, and our mission publish is by the 14th ?

Is this basically saying , get them up before next Tuesday ?

Just saw announcement of launch date.
    This question immediately came to mind.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited November 2012
    Hi Authors,

Please see the message I posted here. Due to this, we'll be extending the entry period for Challenge #5 (which will also affect the voting period) -- once the editor and playing is back online, I'll make a post in here and the entry thread with the new date.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited November 2012
    Hi Authors,

Please see the message I posted here. Due to this, we'll be extending the entry period for Challenge #5 (which will also affect the voting period) -- once the editor and playing is back online, I'll make a post in here and the entry thread with the new date.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thanks for the reply and info, Brandon.
    One hope/suggestion is that once the Foundry comes back up , the authors have a day or two (would a week be too much to ask for) , to retest and readjust our missions.
    edited November 2012
    hippiejon wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply and info, Brandon.
    One hope/suggestion is that once the Foundry comes back up , the authors have a day or two (would a week be too much to ask for) , to retest and readjust our missions.

I was thinking 1-2 weeks :) What do y'all think? I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited November 2012
    Yes please, some time to use the new tools the update will give us. ;)

I also have to edit some of my old missions.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited November 2012
    Considering we're supposed to be all but done when the Season Launches, I honestly think a week is more than fair. We shouldn't be adding in the new bells and whistles. the missions were supposed to be done. I'd go so far as to say , if S7 adds some new stuff, any mission in the challenge using it should be Disqualified, as the missions were supposed to be complete and published. Its just that the launch of the new season has to delay that.

So, give us time to do a run thru or two, once the season hits.
    Just to make sure the change to S7 didn't TRIBBLE any of our missions up.
    This shouldn't be a chance to add a bunch of new stuff that wasn't available when the challenge was running.

Just my 2 Latinum
    edited November 2012
    Considering we're supposed to be all but done when the Season Launches, I honestly think a week is more than fair. We shouldn't be adding in the new bells and whistles. the missions were supposed to be done. I'd go so far as to say , if S7 adds some new stuff, any mission in the challenge using it should be Disqualified, as the missions were supposed to be complete and published. Its just that the launch of the new season has to delay that.

So, give us time to do a run thru or two, once the season hits.
    Just to make sure the change to S7 didn't TRIBBLE any of our missions up.
    This shouldn't be a chance to add a bunch of new stuff that wasn't available when the challenge was running.

Just my 2 Latinum

I hear what you're saying here.
    I'm torn as to what the time should be.
    I see two ways to it.

1. Rules rule and yes we were supposed to be done by 14th so that should be the extent of what our mission entries should be.

but...

2. These challenges were created to offer players in the game the best mission we could create.

So what will rule the day- the rules of the essense of the Challanges?
    We shall see...
    edited November 2012
    I think a 1-2 week extension is a good idea. Especially since there will be fun new tools after the S7 release.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • drudgydrudgy Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I would love an extra two weeks to finish fleshing out my mission. I've got the script all done, I've just been holding it back a bit until season 7 goes live in-case anything changed in the Foundry.
    f3wrLS.jpg
    edited November 2012
    drudgy wrote: »
    I would love an extra two weeks to finish fleshing out my mission. I've got the script all done, I've just been holding it back a bit until season 7 goes live in-case anything changed in the Foundry.

Question ?
    Why would you have been "holding back" ??
    The original due date was Nov 5th.
    (Long since passed.)

Missions should have mostly been "done", by then.
    Then Brandon gave us another week (9days) changing the deadline for submissions to Nov14.

Now Season 7 is hitting, so the date has to be pushed back to account for the Foundry coming off line. BUT we are all supposed to be more or less done. The entries were supposed to post on TWO (2) days from now, if it hadn't been interrupted by S7 start.

That you are only on the 'script' stage now, doesn't indicate that you were actually trying to create the mission to be posted in a couple days.

I maintain that giving us a week would be generous.
    No ONE should need more than that, and I question whether that is even needed.
    These entries should be done at this point, save for the tweaking.

Let's get this Challenge put to bed, and move on to Challenge #6 , where the new stuff from S7 will be available from the start, and not as some last minute "lookit the new shiny" addition to a mission that should already be done.

Again, just my thoughts.
    edited November 2012
    Question ?
    (Long since passed.)

Then Brandon gave us another week (9days) changing the deadline for submissions to Nov14.

Now Season 7 is hitting, so the date has to be pushed back to account for the Foundry coming off line. BUT we are all supposed to be more or less done. The entries were supposed to post on TWO (2) days from now, if it hadn't been interrupted by S7 start.

That you are only on the 'script' stage now, doesn't indicate that you were actually trying to create the mission to be posted in a couple days.

Let's get this Challenge put to bed, and move on to Challenge #6 , where the new stuff from S7 will be available from the start, and not as some last minute "lookit the new shiny" addition to a mission that should already be done.

Again, just my thoughts.

the new seasons ALWAYS TRIBBLE up the foundry and the cordanates systems in it a map made in s5 will break cause s6's cordanates are compleatly diffrent it happended to me
    edited November 2012
    Question ?
    (Long since passed.)

Again, just my thoughts.

I agree, I went flat out over the weekend and created my mission within two days and did the finer details over the following weeks. And despite how inconvientent it will be for myself, 2 Days to a week would be more than enough time... anyways, of to New Romulas for me now, im going to see if i can find that fit Vulcan on the Homepage
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • drudgydrudgy Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Question ?
    (Long since passed.)

Again, just my thoughts.

I appreciate your feedback, but considering how previous Season releases have affected the Foundry I decided to wait until things got sorted out before I made everything only to spend a week trying to fix it all after the editor got unlocked. I had every intention of having the mission published by the assigned time. I'm pretty handy with a computer and know enough about the foundry I could easily have the mission maps done in a solid morning and have the script plugged into the mission by the end of the day. Spend a couple days adding some "Shiny" stuff into the map and done.

This of course not to say that I was waiting to see what new "Shiny" stuff came out. I just didn't want to make all the maps and story stuff only to have it broken and spend a week trying to fix it all. May as well wait until things are fixed then make everything, which is what I had to do with the Challenge #4. Major release of Foundry assets and a total redesign of the UI really borked my mission maps and I had to spend a good long time trying to fix it all so it looked right.

Anyway just my thoughts on it.
    f3wrLS.jpg
    edited December 2012
    Yeah I see what you mean, whats even worse is they keep it shut off for this long and in the mean time great ideas are coming and going :confused:
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
  • skaldraskaldra Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The foundry is my FAV part of playing this game... i wish they would just activate it already, ill deal with any issues they have created, just like I have in the past.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    INQUISITOR CRUSHER
    Director of Marketing
    ELITE FORCES COMMAND
    edited December 2012
    Foundrys Back Whoop Whoop
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    edited December 2012
    Hi Authors!

Now that the Foundry is back up, I'm extending the entry period for this challenge to 10am PST on Wednesday, December 19th (2 weeks from now). Missions must be live then*** to be entered, and the full details of it (green text) must be filled out in this thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=405961

***If you are unable to push the "publish" button at this time due to timezones/ work schedules, please wait until the latest possible moment before this day/time. Also, if you need to publish your mission to test things, that is fine too, but please make sure to unpublish after testing is complete.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited December 2012
    Already Editing away :D

Given all this extended time is anyone that wasn't going to before gonna put an entry in now?
    STAR TREK CONTINUES