test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Challenge #5 Discussion Thread

Foundry Challenge #5 : And Now The Continuation
This is the comments thread for Foundry Challenge #5 : And Now The Continuation.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked.

Let's get those creative juices flowing! :cool:
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    soriedemsoriedem Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Intriguing...

I like it.

I may have to clear sometime on my schedule for this one.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Question: I made one mission (B'vat's Legacy) that was a continuation of B'vat's story. I have been planning to make a second mission following up where B'vat's Legacy ended to finish the story I started. However, I have not actually started work on the mission yet.

Would this be acceptable for the challenge?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    muarenmuaren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Doing a Klingon mission this time around.

Let's face it, none of these Featured Episodes were really created for the Klingons but merely re-typed Fed missions.

This time, we'll get a Featured Episode that was specifically Klingon focused.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2012
    Question: I made one mission (B'vat's Legacy) that was a continuation of B'vat's story. I have been planning to make a second mission following up where B'vat's Legacy ended to finish the story I started. However, I have not actually started work on the mission yet.

Would this be acceptable for the challenge?

The mission for this challenge should be a continuation of one of the series listed here :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    starkofthenorthstarkofthenorth Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thats too bad. I had a fun idea for a follow on to the Fek'lir arc.
    Also known as Gingie(In game) Sskald(Gates of Sto-vo-kor)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Oh, gotcha. Hmm...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    afalconerafalconer Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The mission for this challenge should be a continuation of one of the series listed here :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

What about the Deferi or the Undine Series? Can those used or just the 4 listed this website?
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited October 2012
    The Deferi are there, that was Series 1: Cold War. The Undine weren't technically a "featured series" so I imagine probably just those 4.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Anyone else considering taking this challenge with a Klingon mission?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Hmmm.... I have been pondering it. :D I haven't made a decision quite yet though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    You know, I might actually take part in this one. Since the mission has to be so short it shouldn't even take me that much time. If I aim for making a 15 minute mission, it will probably end up being around 45 minutes. :D
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The one I'm writing could be adapted to be a klingon centric mission very easily, but for my first foray into using the foundry I'm sticking with federation.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I am planning on competing in this one as well. The first one I've competed in so I'm half-excited and half-worried.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I'm happy to see so many klingon missions being developed. However, I'd like to remind Brandon, that KDF Foundry does not allow us to use doors in the Deferi, Cardassian or the Romulan sectors. Missions that focus on those series, will need to use doors located elsewhere. (Pi Canis, Eta Eridani, and Omega Leonis) are the only sector blocks currently with doors for the KDF. Players should be informed of this foundry limitation so not to ding missions for not using the normal door for those missions.

And, since we're on the topic, what's the status of opening up these sector blocks to the KDF Foundry Missions? I'm sure I'm not the only one that is wondering about this.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2012
    soriedem wrote: »
    I'm happy to see so many klingon missions being developed. However, I'd like to remind Brandon, that KDF Foundry does not allow us to use doors in the Deferi, Cardassian or the Romulan sectors. Missions that focus on those series, will need to use doors located elsewhere. (Pi Canis, Eta Eridani, and Omega Leonis) are the only sector blocks currently with doors for the KDF. Players should be informed of this foundry limitation so not to ding missions for not using the normal door for those missions.

And, since we're on the topic, what's the status of opening up these sector blocks to the KDF Foundry Missions? I'm sure I'm not the only one that is wondering about this.

This is something I considered when making the challenge, but I know our KDF Foundry authors are resourceful and would come up with something to make it work :) I was in the editor the other day and was looking at KDF door options and I saw the Orellius was an option. Is it not? :confused:

As for more sectors, this was touched on recently in the latest Priority One KDF interview for the question you asked: http://priorityonepodcast.com/wordpress/warriors-way-kdf-q-a/
    Q: Soriedem: Klingon Foundry missions are limited to two sector blocks. There is a definite lack of doors in any of the other areas of the galaxy. When will the Empire be released from these restrictions and be able to truly go out into the galaxy and explore strange new worlds?

STO Dev Team: This is a great point to raise! Currently, KDF missions can start in any of the following sector blocks: Omega Leonis, Eta Eridani, Orellius, and Pi Canis. While we cannot promise anything for the immediate future, we will be looking at how we can allow Klingon Foundry missions to start from doors that exist beyond these 4 sectors, and hopefully to all the sectors that Klingons can currently visit.

So, hopefully in the future :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    You're right about Orellius. I didn't see it earlier, since my entry won't be taking place there. Selective vision and all - lol. I did see the response. I was just hoping that there would be some movement on it. It does limit storytelling opportunities, because how many times do we have to meet a battlegroup somewhere before going on a solo mission - lol
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    One Idea is to simply use a TW gateway at Qo'nos to go to the starting map. I'm considering doing so to reach the Gamma Quadrant.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I really hope people get a buzz of mine the same way I did playing 'Past Perfect'.
    Though I hope I'm around to publish it more!... Being in the Armed Forces can really suck for a Trekkie! :rolleyes:
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Good luck everyone. I really like the premise here. I'll sit this one out, but I'll vote for a winner. These contests are fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is a very interesting challenge, but it's also very challenging. Some FEs offer obvious possibilities, some others don't. I guess we'll see a bunch of Obisek and Breen missions.

I still have to find a good idea and an interesting plot. That's not easy. I might be out of the challenge this time.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    drudgydrudgy Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I almost considered doing a KDF mission on this one, but in light of my recent attempt I figured I would try to please the masses instead and make a Federation mission. Granted I really shot myself in the foot with the last one's level requirement, but I still liked it.

Personally it just seems that Fed's are way more played and people have better access to them. Kind of disappointing but it's the way it is.

I look forward to working on this one and seeing what people think.
    f3wrLS.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    My current plan involves investigating a trade route for Melani Di'an.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I've already noticed a trend of Time-Travel based missions... theres always a trend... I guess great minds really do think alike! :D

I want to put soo much extra bits and bobs in my mission but ive noticed people actually complain about it; "That level was pointless" "I didn't get it", ever heard of 'setting the scene'!... Well im going to opt for the whole 'keep it simple', difficult given its a time travel mission! :confused:
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I have a couple questions about the rules as this is my first time competing.
    1) Am I allowed to pre-publish before the approved time to test the mission as long as I withdraw it after testing? There are times where things have worked well pre-publishing and broken during publishing.
    2) Am I allowed to pre-publish and have fleet mates/friends test it with me as a beta testing?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    afalconer wrote: »
    1) Am I allowed to pre-publish before the approved time to test the mission as long as I withdraw it after testing? There are times where things have worked well pre-publishing and broken during publishing.
    2) Am I allowed to pre-publish and have fleet mates/friends test it with me as a beta testing?

You can test your mission but you should put a disclaimer into the title and mission detail.
    Not sure about having others test it though. Bran should answer that.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

What sort of mission have you got planned then? Klingon? Another Timetravel Epic? ;)
    Oh, welcome to the FC-Community :D
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    What sort of mission have you got planned then? Klingon? Another Timetravel Epic? ;)
    Oh, welcome to the FC-Community :D

I'm planning a Federation Mission to take place after Boldly they Rode. I've done a 3 missions but still learning. Try to learn something new on each mission so hoping this contest will push me a bit more.
    And thank you for the welcome :)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I'm planning a Federation Mission to take place after Boldly they Rode. I've done a 3 missions but still learning. Try to learn something new on each mission so hoping this contest will push me a bit more.
    Hunh, I had a similar idea. But I've decided to try doing a KDF spin on it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Sounds cool. I know what you mean, my first entry was actually my second ever creation, I've learnt so much since then; like putting the spell checker on US not UK! And Spend more time balancing out the Enemies you've placed than on the enviroment... wasn't good when people were boarding the 'Staton' to assault seven bosses and a Weak Squadron :rolleyes:
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    If anyone saw what I posted here before; just forget it, im not going Gulf now :D

I had an idea for Challenge 6: Holiday Trekkie... Create a mission that honours the winter holidays.
    Thoughts? :D
    STAR TREK CONTINUES