test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: October 2012

Comments

• robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    tetonica wrote: »
    I was really looking forward to seasons 7, 8 and 9 till I read this. Instead of putting in effort for a third faction they make it sound like they're going to cop out and dump them in the fed and kdf ranks. Which is a joke.
    I hate to say it but I told you so I had a funny feeling in the poll when they said you would like playable romulans they would link it with Fed or KDF as they can't even finish the fed faction so the romulan faction would be a waste of resources as it would be another faction that will have only approx 20% to play it due to lack of content
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • typhoncaltyphoncal Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    flash525 wrote: »
    The mere fact they're thinking along the lines of integrating the Romulans into an already existing faction is cause for concern.

That's what worries me.

We could actually do with three more blocks; one for the Tholians (directly below eta Eridani), another one for the Romulans (directly right of Iota Pavonis; requiring Level 4 diplomacy access) and, as you've stated, one for the Delta Quadrant species.

Should also state, good call you've made on the Delta Quadrant Klingons, though I'm not sure (seeing as they destroyed their ship and went to their new planet with little technology) that they'd be flying around in starships just yet. I'd like to see the Fen Damar; they weren't seen on screen, but were mentioned in End Game as lying somewhere between the edge of the Beta & Gamma Quadrant. Voyager lost a lot of crew when fighting them if I recall?

Also, Tier #6 ships. Lets be realistic about this guys, they're all going to cost us. The only freebee we might get out of it is the standard Odyssey Class (they'll probably upgrade the Odyssey to Tier #6 anyway).

Ah, yes i would welcome that but i still hold that they need to break down the walls and create what the Universe, well space should be and isnt. If they introduce the Delta Quadrant is huge, just as all the rest and are not represented and i have my doubts how they will introduce that when so many species are available in the DQ.

I do recall that discussion of the Fen Damar in endgame in fact, but we also have that Dinosaur species, to the hologram world? So, many great species they could pull in but again in order to pull it off they would have to really revamp space and the ST universe period. Otherwise they will fail in it, i would rather them not do any more until they are willing to revamp the Universe in general.

T
    Commander Shran - You tell Archer, that is three the pink skin owes me!
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    typhoncal wrote: »
    Ah, yes i would welcome that but i still hold that they need to break down the walls and create what the Universe, well space should be and isnt. If they introduce the Delta Quadrant is huge, just as all the rest and are not represented and i have my doubts how they will introduce that when so many species are available in the DQ.
    If they were to introduce the Delta Quadrant, it would probably be done in sectors. One sector would have some species, another sector would have another batch. Said sectors would need to be twice the size of any of the current ones, allowing enough planets for a variety of races. End of the day, it isn't going to be perfect, it would be hard for them to make it perfect to be fair.
    typhoncal wrote: »
    I do recall that discussion of the Fen Damar in endgame in fact, but we also have that Dinosaur species, to the hologram world? So, many great species they could pull in but again in order to pull it off they would have to really revamp space and the ST universe period. Otherwise they will fail in it, i would rather them not do any more until they are willing to revamp the Universe in general.
    Dinosaur Species = Voth. :)

I wouldn't mind seeing what has become of the Vidiian.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    flash525 wrote: »
    Ask Cryptic: October 2012, Question #2I hope to hell that I'm reading this wrong, but it looks like you're planning to add the Romulans into the Federation and / or Klingon factions. Dont!

There was a poll that you guys put up a month ago asking the community what they most wanted out of the game right now. Think I remember a Romulan Playable Faction leading that poll. The fans have spoken. Can the development team deliver? If this latest Ask Cryptic is anything to go by, and if I'm reading it right, then you're planning to ignore the wishes of the fans completely, and are going to shove the Romulans in elsewhere (rather than give them the faction they deserve).

The Romulans aren't ready to join the Federation, and even when they do get to a point that they are, they sure as hell wouldn't join with the Klingons. With the exception of Sela and her band of merry soldiers, when have the Klingons and Romulans ever cooperated with only each other? These two species aren't overly fond of each other, so it is my hope that they are very much kept apart from each other in terms of alliances.

Star Trek: Online (eventually) needs more than two factions; the Romulans are the logical choice for faction number #3. I don't want to see them wasted as castaways that are incorporated into other factions. If you're not in a position to create a third faction just yet, that's fine, you don't need too, but don't integrate the Romulans into a current faction.

Uhm...nope, I don't think that will turn up to be the case. Be sure that the devs are not that ignorant of their job to waste them like that and not furher capitalize on their own faction. The way I see it, in the next couple of seasons they'll be hitting up the basis for the emergence of the 3rd - Romulan faction by this storyline. The Fed and the Klingons trying to get their allegiance tears up the Romulans both ways so much that to a point they've had enough, overthrow Sela, recuperate and boom, there's your 3rd faction. And it will give Cryptic the needed time to develop that faction properly, with at least all the game segments that the KDF has currently, which actually is not that light of a job.

You have to be aware that for the dev. team, regardless wheather sometimes they do in game stuff that some of us like or don't like, working on STO is still their job and you can be sure that they are aware of the benefits they'll have from introducing a Romulan faction as a separate one. Especially after quite a nice portion of the player base has clearly and undoubtedly stated their desire and interest of this Romulan faction. They have not fallen of Mars, you can be sure that they know that the Rom. faction will improve the game, bring more players and satisfy a big portion of the current ones on what even Cryptic will capitalize at the end. They just need time to make it happen. So, have a little faith ;)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ginge737 wrote: »

Question for cryptic, do you plan to put more playable factions in with there own beginnings, species such as the borg or romulans or even making a cardasian faction

I'd love a Cardassian faction, too! :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited October 2012
    shpoks wrote: »
    Uhm...nope, I don't think that will turn up to be the case. Be sure that the devs are not that ignorant of their job to waste them like that and not furher capitalize on their own faction.
    I really wish I shared your optimism.
    The way I see it, in the next couple of seasons they'll be hitting up the basis for the emergence of the 3rd - Romulan faction by this storyline. The Fed and the Klingons trying to get their allegiance tears up the Romulans both ways so much that to a point they've had enough, overthrow Sela, recuperate and boom, there's your 3rd faction.
    In one of the latest season 7 blog entries, it states that the Romulan Star Empire has fallen, and that the refugees of that fallen empire are looking to settle and start anew. It doesn't sound to me like they're looking to start up a Romulan faction any time soon.
    And it will give Cryptic the needed time to develop that faction properly, with at least all the game segments that the KDF has currently, which actually is not that light of a job.
    There is little point releasing a Romulan faction that would match the current Klingon one. You would then have people complaining (rightly) about another half-assed attempt.
    You have to be aware that for the dev. team, regardless wheather sometimes they do in game stuff that some of us like or don't like, working on STO is still their job and you can be sure that they are aware of the benefits they'll have from introducing a Romulan faction as a separate one. Especially after quite a nice portion of the player base has clearly and undoubtedly stated their desire and interest of this Romulan faction.
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    I'd love a Cardassian faction, too!
    Whilst this would likely be at least five years down the line (if STO hasn't fallen apart by then) I don't see it happening. Two of the more obvious ships you'd have in a Cardassian faction would be the Galor and Jem Hadar Attack Ship; both of which are already accessible to those that acquired them at the right time. I think it would be safe to say that a Cardassian faction isn't even on the table at the minute. That's pretty much the only good thing about the hope for a Romulan faction; they've not released any Romulan ships in their lock boxes yet.
  • cptdangcptdang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Alot of people like the Odyssey fleet uniform. As it is purchasable by dilithium and fleet credits; Will fleets be able to set the Odyssey uniform (or any part of it) as a actual fleet uniform in the fleet UI?
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Probably too much asking, but could you guys fix my temporal ship chair bug before moving on?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • nador67nador67 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'd love a Cardassian faction, too! :D

If we are looking at a Romulan faction, it won't happen for about (I'm guessing) 2 years. Although Cardassians are my favorite and I wish they could become their own faction, I'm also guessing that Cryptic will do one of two things with Cardassians.

1. Put the Cardassians and probably Jem Hadar Alphas into the Federation. These would probably be races that have to be purchased in the C store. Originally, when Perpetual Entertainment was developing the game, they had the Cardassians as a member of the Federation.

By doing this, Cryptic could make a playable race which is actually popular with an extremely small number of the player base. Also, Cardassian fans aren't as adamant about having a playing faction as the Romulan fans are. Cardassian ships aren't as pretty and weren't portrayed to be as powerful. So, not pretty and not powerful equals not popular.

OR

2. Cryptic will decide to make a Dominion/Cardassian faction, but that won't happen for about 4 to 6 years from now.

unlike the Romulans, the Cardassians can wait. We are a very patient race.
  • matteo716maikaimatteo716maikai Member Posts: 823
    edited October 2012
    when is pvp going to recieve one of these "maps" that have been promised time and time again?

are people going to be able to earn reputation in pvp related activities?

when is pvp going to recieve fleet marks?
  • montrocmontroc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Will there be an option to change the HUD colours in the near future? I have two friends playing STO, but they really have trouble playing KDF, since they suffer from colour blindness, or more precisely have problems with red and green. After playing for a bit they start getting headaches because they have to strain their eyes. Placing DOFFs on assignements is challenging for them, since they can not see red text very well with the red background and have trouble identifying green attributes on the red HUD.

It would be nice for people suffering from colour blindness to have the option to switch the colour scheme for the KDF to something that doesn't strain the eyes or causes headaches.
  • furiousfeenixfuriousfeenix Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Tokens that respec our base traits. I learned a lot since i first created my character, would be nice to allow a one time change per character, even if the system will be overhauled at a later date.

I don't see Cardies and Jem'hadar happening any time, their ships were already given away as rare bonuses.
  • trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Now that we are going to that Reputation actually unlocks stuff like STF gear, will this mean we will then have to spend Dilithium to buy the gear? If so, is adding dilithium reward being considered being added to all events. I was not happy about a dilithium cost being added to things like the Fleet store after the resources it took to unlock the items.
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • ericandrewrossericandrewross Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    edit... clicked wrong thread
    Vice Admiral Ross
    and others too numerous to name...
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited October 2012
    Now that we are going to that Reputation actually unlocks stuff like STF gear, will this mean we will then have to spend Dilithium to buy the gear? If so, is adding dilithium reward being considered being added to all events. I was not happy about a dilithium cost being added to things like the Fleet store after the resources it took to unlock the items.

I'm hoping there will just be the marks + reputation required. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • guardianofneverguardianofnever Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Is a Dyson Sphere being considered for STO?
  • strider25strider25 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    "Probably too much asking, but could you guys fix my temporal ship chair bug before moving on?"

(Quotes are not working? Tied into account server problems?)

LOL Maybe that's on purpose because the ship is slightly out of phase?

I was wondering about this as all my BOs are sitting the same way.
  • marielux649marielux649 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Logins are currently not functioning. We are aware of the issue and investigating.

I wanna know whats wrong cause all my fleeties recieve this error msg and most of then (like me) are Lifetimers so i want a solution for this issue soon as possible
    thx
  • kriss257kriss257 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Can't logon
    Enyone else having problems with login?
    10Chars and I play them ALL.

76561198045166665.png
  • tuscanmadakaius4tuscanmadakaius4 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yeah me too. Was halfway through a daily then disconnected. Cant get back in now. :S
  • azure85azure85 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ya just installed the game today not an hour ago. played all the way through the tutorial and right as i was talking to the admiral i get booted from the game. I try to go log in again, and it won't connect to the log in servers. I haven't seen any announcement about emergency maintenance but it only just happened within the hour so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
  • seabee22ndseabee22nd Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    why the sudden crash or closure without notice 7/19
  • ericandrewrossericandrewross Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    why are there so few KDF ships available? We could use some more, especially Gorn ships:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=382931
    Vice Admiral Ross
    and others too numerous to name...
    edited October 2012
    nador67 wrote: »
    If we are looking at a Romulan faction, it won't happen for about (I'm guessing) 2 years.
    After recent reveals, it seems unlikely we'll ever be getting a Romulan faction now. The more Cryptic release without a Romulan faction the more they're going to have to work out if they gave us one.
    nador67 wrote: »
    1. Put the Cardassians and probably Jem Hadar Alphas into the Federation.
    The Cardassians, yeah. I can see them being members of the Federation (I'm actually surprised Federation players haven't been given the option of Cardassian Boff's yet). Think the Jem Hadar would work for both FED & KDF though. Obviously we should keep Klingon and Cardassian apart. We know they don't like each other too much.
    I don't see Cardies and Jem'hadar happening any time, their ships were already given away as rare bonuses.
    I am in agreement here.
    why are there so few KDF ships available?
    Because Cryptic don't care so much about the KDF faction as they do the FED one. The Federation have always had the new toys, and the Klingons have usually gone without. We should all be used to it by now. It isn't going to change until ownership of Cryptic does.
  • pingaheadpingahead Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Honestly DAN;

How long have there been complaints about the HUD Display for KDF?

Some ppl are color-blind and have a hard time telling Friend/Foe in space.

It gives some ppl headaches.

It makes my eyes burn after 30 mins.

Let's be honest: either you are purposely trying to kill off the KDF side of this game
    or its not a priority because there is no money in that for (Im)Perfect World.

We have heard enough BS this past 12 months with the election; do we really need BS from you?
  • cojak70cojak70 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    this doing stfs just like the starbase to get gear is a bunch of you know what not only dumbing stuff into starbases but now we also have to dumb stuff to get gear i am a veteran gold member alot of smaller fleets as with me can aford to do both if this happen i will no longer play this game and so has alot of others said the same.yall are really messing us over. and yall will see especialy the smaller fleets say for get the starbase all together and save for the stf gear yall will be loosing in the end
  • nador67nador67 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    cojak70 wrote: »
    this doing stfs just like the starbase to get gear is a bunch of you know what not only dumbing stuff into starbases but now we also have to dumb stuff to get gear i am a veteran gold member alot of smaller fleets as with me can aford to do both if this happen i will no longer play this game and so has alot of others said the same.yall are really messing us over. and yall will see especialy the smaller fleets say for get the starbase all together and save for the stf gear yall will be loosing in the end

Sorry to be the one to break this to you bro, but there are enough power mongers who want to be the one that say "I've got this toy, its bigger and stronger then yours". PWE and Cryptic won't lose anything whether it be you or anyone else who decides to leave or not invest in starbases or STFs, there will always be someone who steps in.

What many players forget is that the goal of this game is not to win and be the most powerful hero or villain. It is to have fun and enjoy what is provided. To many players are spending so much time trying to horde every toy in the game that they seem to overlook the point to the game.

Just saying.
  • charliescot25charliescot25 Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Is there any plans to introduce a new ability where you can disable the enemy's ship? rather than destroying them, and maybe, we get some kind of diplomacy points for not taking a life and making it more feel of starfleetish.
    [SIGPIC]USSDundee_zpsfcfe716b.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • harveycloneharveyclone Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Wrong post sorry