Install Arc
Options

Ask Cryptic: October 2012

Comments

• Options
    redstarsweredstarswe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    yreodred wrote: »
    I hope that we can upgrade our present ships to tier 6. But as i know the devs, they will make them way better than the ships we already have so we "have" to buy them to keep competitive.

Yeah, how many people are using tier 4 ships when there are tier 5's, it's gonna be the same when t6 hits the stores.
    A contract is a contract...(but only between Ferengi).
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    redstarswe wrote: »
    Yeah, how many people are using tier 4 ships when there are tier 5's, it's gonna be the same when t6 hits the stores.

Its the nature of the beast... Its a business that provides services for us so for them to stay in the game and be employed and make money there is always going to be newer ships coming out that maybe slightly better than what we have because that is how the money is made.

The otherside to the token is there isn't enough playable content coming out vs ships being produced.
  • Options
    cptlankfordcptlankford Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Complaints, complaints, complaints... are you listening Cryptic? I've been playing steady F2P for about a month and am at level 49 and all I see is a big fat brick wall when I hit 50. I am not going to sink money into this game at all until I feel its worth it. So far its been a great ride but its ridiculous to think what even the paying players have to put up with.

I'm pretty fair minded and realize that with me being an F2P player it is expected that I would have to pony up some kind of cash and I can live with that but what about these paying members that still have to chuck gobs of cash to get anywhere post level 50? If you are a gold member you shouldn't have to BUY anything. You have payed in and that should be enough, period.

Furthermore I to can see how this game is going to steadily drift away from Star Trek canon more and more unless Cryptic quits mucking things up. Its a "Star Trek Game", not a "trek-like game". Quit messing with it. Star Trek is at the very least a sacred part of science fiction mythology and media history going back half a century. Being in the "future" does give you some wiggle room but not enough to just start dumping races into bed with each other.

Finally I would just like to say that while I have practically yelled every word of this post at least a dozen times over the course of writing it I have attempted to be as calm as I can be. I understand that Cryptic has a business to run having worked as a manager many times. However allow this thought to sink in if you would; many many people including myself often shop at mom and pop stores even though they may have a smaller variety of items we wish to purchase because they often have a much higher quality standard in service and content. So ask yourselves this question, do you want to be the mega store that offers a lot of gimmicks but little substance, or do you want to deliver an enjoyable and unforgettable experience that good ole' Gene god rest him would shed a tear of joy over.

Thank you for your time,
    -James-
  • Options
    admiraljt#1430 admiraljt Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    miloguy wrote: »
    I just finished the undeen stuff,
    will we see more of them ? and what about more romulan episodes,
    theres a big trek universe with loads more episodes, im sure they could do more?

You can see the Undine at ESD, there is no doubt that Admiral Quinn is an Undine infiltrator.

Hopefully these new Romulan missions in season 7 will give some more information as. To what the Iconians are planning.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    You can see the Undine at ESD, there is no doubt that Admiral Quinn is an Undine infiltrator.

Hopefully these new Romulan missions in season 7 will give some more information as. To what the Iconians are planning.

I know their secret plans... Their whole mission is to flood the alpha quadrant with new currencies :D
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    redstarswe wrote: »
    IF there where a way to upgrade them i am sure there would have been a lot of people who would still fly their T4 ships.

Thank you for reading or ignoring, depending on who you are. ;)
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Tier 6? To make current retrofits and lockbox ships useless? How about NO?

In-game handle @Janetza
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    yreodred wrote: »
    IF there where a way to upgrade them i am sure there would have been a lot of people who would still fly their T4 ships.
    There are retrofit ships and fleet ships to represent some of the Tier #2, #3 and #4 ships already, so some people will be using earlier ships, just the newer versions of them.
    taut0u wrote: »
    Tier 6? To make current retrofits and lockbox ships useless? How about NO?
    I expect the option to upgrade these ships will be available; it may cost a bit, but it would be idiotic not to include such a feature.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I was planning on buying a couple of more C-Store ships soon. Unless you're willing to tell me that there will absolutely not ever be any T6 ships, I think I'll stick with what I've got.

Ditto. I hate to jump on the 'hating on the devs' bandwagon, because I have an idea of the pressures they're under. But I have bought:

* The Odyssey 3-pack
    * Regent
    * Excelsior-R
    * MVAE
    * Defiant-R

And I was considering the Intrepid-R or a KDF ship, but I'm not spending one more zen on ships until I find out that these aren't going to be useless (or end up sticking out like a T4 ship in an STF, which are technically not useless, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna use one like that).

Also - note that "upgrade per ship, per character" doesn't count here. Especially with something as expensive as the Odyssey, which has a design in three-pack form that encourages mixing/matching/experimenting with different hulls.
  • Options
    magusofborgmagusofborg Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I've been playing steady F2P for about a month and am at level 49

Wow...you're special.:rolleyes:
    Joined August 2009
  • Options
    misskoryamisskorya Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ... If they're upgrading and adding in T6... I request the Nova be bumped to T5 >.>
    or at least the Rhode Island T_T
    Stormwarden Tessara Tharneth

Hellbringer Mera Smoak

Classes Wanted: Druid | Monk | Bard | Sorcerer | Barbarian
    Races Wanted: Half-Orc | Gnome | Warforged
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ...and nothing about ship interiors as usual.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Q: (xxxhellspawnyxxx) The requirements for T3 Fleet Projects are very high. Are you planning on adjusting the system for smaller fleets, e.g. depending on the number of members?

Dstahl: We review the status of all Fleet Starbases on Holodeck regularly and have been adjusting project inputs and prices in some cases to find more balance given the progress different sized Fleets are making. In some cases, instead of reducing the inputs of projects, we have instead increased the abundance at which you receive inputs needed for projects. We will continue to adjust and monitor these numbers to ensure that all Fleets are making progress as expected over time. As we introduce a new Fleet Holding in Season 7, we will be making some additional adjustments on project requirements.
    What the (fill in your obscenity here)!

Basically, instead of catering to smaller fleets and casual players, Perfect World pretty much told everyone to pound sand?
    Q: (zeuxidemus001) Any chance we will get the account bound STF tech drops?

Dstahl: The entire reward structure of the STFs is being revamped in Season 7 and being converted into the new Omega Fleet Reputation system. There will be an upcoming blog post that will explain the conversion that will be happening and how previous dropped items are being incorporated into the new personal advancement system. As such, the function of these items will be changing slightly and we do not intend to make them account bound, since they will directly be tied into personal advancement for the Captain who plays the STF. Check the website for more information about these changes as we get closer to Season 7.
    What a long winded way of answering the question. Something about this Omega Fleet Reputation system scares me. Why the heck are the STF rewards not going to be account bound?
    Q: (jsalexan) Are you guys ever going to expand the system beyond Vice Admiral or is that it? If you are, is there a time-frame for this to happen?

Dstahl: We do expect to add another rank and skillpoint cap in the future, and we have continued plans to introduce new ways for your Captain to advance their career. For example, the upcoming Reputation system is designed to offer Captains an alternate way to personally advance the skills and abilities of your Captain. Before we can increase the skillpoint cap, we want to ensure that Fleets and current end-game content is where it needs to be and then we need to build out all of the new max level content. We don?t want to increase the skillpoint cap and add new ship tiers until we have plenty of challenges to face to make it worthwhile.
    Why am I playing this again? Where the heck is the personal reward system?

Grinding five tiers of a fleetbase does not equal any type of personal achievement?

*runs down the street while laughing hysterically and uncontrollably*
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I hate to say it but this month's ask cryptic was really disappointing to me. It just seemed like a lot of the answers given were terrible in regards to what people on the forums actually voiced opinions on. Rather than getting things made easier for grinding alts, we're getting more grinds and more currencies to grind for while facing the likely possibility that all the STF grinding we've done so far will be rendered "petty cash" in favor of a new system. A system that is in fact based off of the existing fleet system which in itself is still flawed and under construction.

A lot of what i saw was that currently we're in for a lot of unpopular additions and changes, and a lot of what people have been asking for isn't going to happen for another two or three seasons. It's not the first time we've seen this happen, but at the same time it kind of makes the game unplayable for a few months while they fix the bugs and adjust things that they shouldn't have done in the first place.
  • Options
    lordrevan35lordrevan35 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    In STO there were some in game episode reruns item rewards that I missed out on. Will we be able to have another chance the get those items when season seven is launched later this fall?
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    misskorya wrote: »
    ... If they're upgrading and adding in T6... I request the Nova be bumped to T5 >.>
    or at least the Rhode Island T_T

The Nova has a T5 Fleet ship variant that you can purchase at your Fleet Starbase .
    (assuming you're building one)

linyive wrote: »
    What the (fill in your obscenity here)!

Basically, instead of catering to smaller fleets and casual players, Perfect World pretty much told everyone to pound sand?

Yes .
  • Options
    chaosuk83chaosuk83 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Quick Question - are there any plans to change things so that we can switch between characters without having to log out and back in?
    Life would be so much easier....
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    My questions have never been answered :(
    Would like to know if there is ever a plan to make a Mirror Universe Bridge so I can place it on my star cruiser even if there is a Zen charge
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    robeasom wrote: »
    My questions have never been answered :(
    Would like to know if there is ever a plan to make a Mirror Universe Bridge so I can place it on my star cruiser even if there is a Zen charge

You have to start out by saying your questions will not be answered and then you have to flame the answer giver any time you have the chance even though you honestly know he doesn't have much say in what happens.
  • Options
    matteo716maikaimatteo716maikai Member Posts: 823
    edited October 2012
    sumghai wrote: »
    ...and nothing about ship interiors as usual.

I KNOW RIGHT? its not like there are any game breaking bugs, broken abilites, ships that need fixing,etc etc etc...

seriously... -rolls eyes-
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I KNOW RIGHT? its not like there are any game breaking bugs, broken abilites, ships that need fixing,etc etc etc...

seriously... -rolls eyes-

IMO their work force is way too small to pull off what this game should have and with the acquisition from PWE and their methods that aren't doing the game justice although its what they are familiar with in their region for entertainment... All these elements just are a disaster waiting to happen.

Pretty much they put all the eggs in one basket and have a million baskets so one thing might get a slight improvement but you got like 100 other areas that are just rotting in the cyber tank. So you have everything pretty much going into lockboxes but interiors, exploration, missions, etc are neglected to try to get a cash grab on new players who aren't in the know of how frequent we get new content to play.
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    chaosuk83 wrote: »
    Quick Question - are there any plans to change things so that we can switch between characters without having to log out and back in?
    Life would be so much easier....

This was answered some time ago. I believe the answer is 'no,' for security reasons, at least for the foreseeable future, although the last thing I read sounded pretty final on this, if I recall correctly.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    no pvp related questions, and this omega force TRIBBLE has me worried that it wont be earnable/obtainable by pvp in any way what so ever..... considering itll give you passive's to your captain. what a bunch of bs.

way to keep killing pvp guys. GG

Seems everytime something gets fixxed, it's broken for a few weeks following the fix. Guess I'll hold off buying STF gear for a bit longer since they will be operated on in the near future.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    ginge737ginge737 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Question for cryptic, do you plan to put more playable factions in with there own beginnings, species such as the borg or romulans or even making a cardasian faction
  • Options
    starcommando101starcommando101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The selfishness on the forums as of late is... wow....

This is not burger king, you cannot have it your way...

They are hard at work trying to fix and improve things as much as possible. Only so much you can do with 40 something people.
    At least they are try to, most games which will remain nameless doesn't give a "you know what" about what the players think... Your selfishness will get it no where.

Calm down and let it unfold. Who knows what Season 7 has install... It might fix these bugs or not. But at least they are trying.

If you don't like it, go play another game and leave it... simple.

Edit: You can't Please everyone
    The Average PvP player
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1) Teamwork and timing is #1
    2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
    3) You are going to die, just get back up
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The selfishness on the forums as of late is... wow....
    The same could be said for the ignorance of the developers.
    They are hard at work trying to fix and improve things as much as possible.
    They're trying to fix and improve things huh? From what I've managed to work out since I've started playing, at least in terms of content, all Cryptic seem to do is add, add, add. Few things are actually fixed.

There are issues with ship models, ship textures, crew positioning (half the characters at ESD are all over the place). There are issues with scaling, with PvE, with PvP. Have they told us they're fixing that? No. Instead they've told us they're looking to add another ten levels, they're thinking of making fleet projects more expensive, and that they might waste any potential for a Romulan faction by throwing them in with either of the existing factions. I'm not even going to get started on the Klingon faction. They needs a reboot, not a fix.
    Who knows what Season 7 has install... It might fix these bugs or not. But at least they are trying.
    It'll likely present us with some bugs, I know that much.
    If you don't like it, go play another game and leave it... simple.
    I did enjoy the game, though currently find it stale. All I'm doing at the moment (literally) is the daily dilithium missions and acquiring duty officers. That's it! Even that's boring and repetitive, but it might help me later on.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    i wish this was a subscription based game again, it seemed to be more about the community and star trek, i thought the ask cryptic was good thanks dan, but some of the answers did not make think wow that is going to be fun, except my idea for space boffs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tetonicatetonica Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    flash525 wrote: »
    ...and that they might waste any potential for a Romulan faction by throwing them in with either of the existing factions. I'm not even going to get started on the Klingon faction. They needs a reboot, not a fix.

I was really looking forward to seasons 7, 8 and 9 till I read this. Instead of putting in effort for a third faction they make it sound like they're going to cop out and dump them in the fed and kdf ranks. Which is a joke.
    Lynis, Orion Engineer, main
    Rrezeth, Gorn Tactical, primary alt
    Nari, Orion Science, secondary alt
  • Options
    jnohdjnohd Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    tehjonel wrote: »
    if the omega fleet reputation system will be based on the fleet advancement system but on a single character level, i would guess it would look something like this:

1000 fleet marks
    100 edcs
    20 non-civilian duty officers
    20 cordazine hypo
    20 immunosupport nanite injector
    5 prototype borg salvage
    1 prototype weapon tech

and probably a "omega fleet module" (similar to the fleet ship module used to purchase fleet ships).

i'm hoping this will not be the case.

I doubt you'll see Fleet Marks there, though "Omega Marks" would be likely.

That said, other than competing with my time for Fleet Marks, I have no issue with it. I'm sitting on over 2 million Fleet Credits, and I've gotten my Fleet to Tier 2 across the board, Once we start getting into the long-haul T3 projects, I'm going to be glad to see there are other things to do instead of blinders on, nothing but Fleet Mark missions for 2 hours once or twice a day.
    Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
    ALL HOLDINGS FINISHED! - Starbase 5-5-5-5 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
    A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
    Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I don't get why people are so hyped out about T6, you guys do realize it is not coming in S7, right? You won't see it in S8 since that is episode land.. maybe 9 at the earliest, highly unlikely because the KDF is slated for filling out around then, probably S10, a good while away.

Of any MMO I've ever seen Cryptic has the most short sighted game plan I have ever seen, most MMO directors can tell you exactly what they are releasing next, whats being worked on and will be released in 6 months, and some long term direction and projects they are working on. With Cryptic they are just kinda figuring it out as they go I guess.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel