test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Life Time

dariusmajeredariusmajere Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I would like to Say thanks Cryptic! I know alot of people are NOT please with the new Lifetime Perk, But I for one Am. I have been Hollaring in multiple Places that LIFETIMERS should have access to All Veteran Rewards from day 0. The Simple reason being: We PAID our Dues. We have no Ongoing subscription to keep up. No matter what, if we go away from the game for 2 years or a year.. (like many Lifers I know did) You still are a subscriber.. I Know many 900 Day Veterans who might of played the game for 45 days but had bought the lifetime. THEY still get all the rewards when they come back. Heck there are still lifers coming back that are brand new to doing STF's. Offering something to the Lifetime Community that they are going to hit regardless is a Intelligent Business Move. It shines down on the Lifetime Perk Very nicely and gives a new and awesome reason For others to subscribe for it. GOLD MEMBERS (monthly subscribers) are not getting this Perk, Only Lifers Are, So they still have to earn the Veteran Rewards for Sticking with the game, the main perk of the Vet Rewards. But Lifers Already Paid that due with the nice chunk of change upfront. I paid 299 for mine, and play with this Sale to put my Alt account to lifetime, As well as my Wifes Account to lifetime. I was planning to do this anyway, But this now gives me more of a reason to.
Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
[SIGPIC]http://massivechaos.enjin.com/[/SIGPIC]
Post edited by dariusmajere on

Comments

• vinru821vinru821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So they are finally just unlocking all the bonuses for us?

Awesomeness.

Its not like I can return/cancel/void the lifetime sub anyway lol
    :eek:
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So how many people, (including lifers) were posting in the forums that the Lifetime Subscription was no longer worth the price? This does put the value back into the Lifetime Sub, but left no bones for the original subscribers/Lifers... The should of at least left the Titles to actual subscription time played...
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So how many people, (including lifers) were posting in the forums that the Lifetime Subscription was no longer worth the price? This does put the value back into the Lifetime Sub, but left no bones for the original subscribers/Lifers... The should of at least left the Titles to actual subscription time played...

It definitely added meat to the LTS. The value of all 1000 vet rewards (account wide) and the extra lts character slot that is added on top of gold make it work it.

It didn't lower the value of gold in itself, it just made it look weaker in comparison. I know of people who were gold from the start and switch to f2p after that will be missing out and anyone who is gold and is at the 700 day mark will feel a bit left out.

I'm almost at 700 days. I know if I weren't an lts I would feel a bit jealous that a new person will get the rewards first even though I have been there longer.

As an lts I have no problem with this because I would have gotten this anyway since I can't go silver.

Either way lts now has meat for new people but not for those at 700 days.
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2012

For US $200.00 you get ALL of the veteran rewards including the new heavy destroyers on day one of your Lifetime subscription. This one stroke of the devs pen makes the LTS extremely worthwhile.

If you purchased an LTS at any point in time since they were first offered, you will receive access to all Veteran rewards up to and including the 1000 day, regardless of how long your LTS has been running.

Both of the above will happen after the maintenance period tomorrow morning.
  • diafpwediafpwe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The only thing hurt by this move by Cryptic are the rather small e-peens of the wailing. :cool:
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    the way I see it, there are always people who complain about something, cryptic can't satisfy every single customer with every single decision.

Feds get a new ship, KDF players complain because they don't get one
    KDF gets a new ship, Feds complain because they don't have something like it
    Feds get a new mission, KDF complain because they don't have enough content
    KDF gets a new mission Feds complain because they don't get to play it
    Devs release faction neutral mission, Feds and KDF complain because it's not just for their side
    New power released for PvE, PvPers complain that it's OP
    Power nerfed for PvP, PvEers complain that it's now useless.
    Golds get something, silvers complain they don't have it
    silvers get something, golds complain because they want it all for themselves.

I could go on, it's a never ending cycle. Everyone needs to just calm down and accept that things can't be perfect, be glad that you got what you got when you got it.

I for one am glad to see this, lifetimers are already going to get all the vet rewards anyway, since they will be subbed for the life of the game, why not sweeten the pot by giving them their bonuses early.

For the record, I've been subbed since right before launch, if anything, this new deal only means I'll get the reward a few days early.
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This thread is a lot calmer than I expected. Of course, it's all lifers posting so far, and we've yet to hear from the regular Gold crowd. Still, the wisdom I've heard since I started playing was as such: Go LTS or stay Silver. Sticking with the $15/mo. means you would've paid about $585 to get to 1000 days (Gold membership sales could've lowered that). That's nuts. LTS is a better long term decision, and this is just rewarding those of us who made the obvious correct choice. Previously, I wasn't sure I was getting my money out of the LTS. Now I'm beyond sure. That was a darn good investment.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • tali9999tali9999 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hi! I am a Gold Member of 300 days or so and i always hesitated to buy the Lifetime Sub.

Well, now i just did! I calculated the game needs to run for 13 more months to equal the price of normal monthly fee with the price of the LTS.

After having seen what happened to City Of Heroes, i am still a bit worried about MMOs and how fast they can suddenly be shut down.

But i took the risk today and i hope STO has at least 15 more months of life ahead so my money will not be wasted.

Long life STO!
  • travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    the way I see it, there are always people who complain about something, cryptic can't satisfy every single customer with every single decision.

Feds get a new ship, KDF players complain because they don't get one
    KDF gets a new ship, Feds complain because they don't have something like it
    Feds get a new mission, KDF complain because they don't have enough content
    KDF gets a new mission Feds complain because they don't get to play it
    Devs release faction neutral mission, Feds and KDF complain because it's not just for their side
    New power released for PvE, PvPers complain that it's OP
    Power nerfed for PvP, PvEers complain that it's now useless.
    Golds get something, silvers complain they don't have it
    silvers get something, golds complain because they want it all for themselves.

I could go on, it's a never ending cycle. Everyone needs to just calm down and accept that things can't be perfect, be glad that you got what you got when you got it.

I for one am glad to see this, lifetimers are already going to get all the vet rewards anyway, since they will be subbed for the life of the game, why not sweeten the pot by giving them their bonuses early.

For the record, I've been subbed since right before launch, if anything, this new deal only means I'll get the reward a few days early.

Regarding your Fed-KDF complaints: The Federation players have zero room to complain. Really. The reason KDF players mostly complain is because the KDF is already behind in content and resources invested, and has been so since the start. . .so every time the devs give a shiny new toy to the Feddies, it pisses us KDF enthusiasts off, and rightfully so. Especially if that toy includes something that used to be KDF-exclusive (carriers, anyone?).

As for PvE vs. PvP, that's an issue with the game mechanics, and is kinda hard to work around.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The issue I have with the klink komplaints is that they don't realise that the game will ALWAYS be primarily Federation based. I didn't watch any of the series on TV to see the klinks, the Romulans or the Cardassians; I watched to see Archer, Picard, Sisko and Janeway with their respective crews. Federation crews. I know I'm not the only person in that boat.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This new policy saves me approximately 30 days of waiting for my Vet rewards. I like that. It doesn't really bother me that some noob that buys it tomorrow is at the same place as me. He's still a NOOB! ;)
    so every time the devs give a shiny new toy to the Feddies, it pisses us KDF enthusiasts off, and rightfully so. Especially if that toy includes something that used to be KDF-exclusive (carriers, anyone?)

Don't forget they said the Fed would never have cloaking either. That went away fairly fast when the dreadnought came out.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Regarding your Fed-KDF complaints: The Federation players have zero room to complain. Really. The reason KDF players mostly complain is because the KDF is already behind in content and resources invested, and has been so since the start. . .so every time the devs give a shiny new toy to the Feddies, it pisses us KDF enthusiasts off, and rightfully so. Especially if that toy includes something that used to be KDF-exclusive (carriers, anyone?).

As for PvE vs. PvP, that's an issue with the game mechanics, and is kinda hard to work around.

I was just trying to give general examples, these are all things I see people complain about, I'm not trying to take sides one way or the other on them.
  • abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 649 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    As a lifetime subscriber, I have no problems with this offer. I started my subscription way back when the game first started, and made the mistake of not getting the lifetime sub at that time. I got the LTS when the game went FTP and they lowered the price, and haven't looked back since then.

This in no way diminishes what I get, and have gotten. I don't care about what other people have, really. I, and other LTS members lose nothing. If others want to be upset, fine...they can be upset. This in no way changes how I play the game.

If this brings in more people, and more resources, fine and wonderful.

I like getting free respec tokens, costume slots, ship slots, new costume options and other little goodies.

I haven't really used the LTS titles in game, I prefer the ones you earn for in game accomplishments.

I just hope that the rewards program doesn't come to a screeching halt. :eek:

I want more free stuff :D

___
  • jackdonnerjackdonner Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This thread is a lot calmer than I expected. Of course, it's all lifers posting so far, and we've yet to hear from the regular Gold crowd.

Oh dont worry, all the gold players are already cryin about it on the main sto forum.
    Several posts already..
  • adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    My account is at 990 days...my reaction is of disspointment

Now a day 1 lifer gets the same as I do.......

Many will say they paid their dues they have the right to it.....perhaps...

Lets go a little further...I have averaged 10-20 dollars a month in cstore and zen and as much as 50 every month since there was a cstore......

That being being said....really makes me realize they dont appreciate my money over the years....
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Wow, that didn't take very long before a thread about thanking Cryptic for unlocking all veteran rewards at Day 0 for LTS to divulge into another thread about KDF complaining about a lack of content. You guys are getting more efficient.

I do think this was a smart move on Cryptic's part. Other MMOs (like Rift) had a similar plan in place for a while, and I was surprised STO didn't have a similar thing going for it. I'm actually waiting to see when/if CO is going to offer a similar thing, since I bought a LTS to that game a while after I signed up for STO... so I wouldn't mind getting all the veteran rewards there from Day 0.

As far as the KDF go -- you guys will never be happy. Ever. There is absolutely no force on Sha Ka Ree or Earth that will placate you. Every time Cryptic does something for the KDF, you guys aren't thankful. You just complain about how you should have had it sooner, or that you're still lacking this or lacking that. And if you're going to just keep moving goal posts, then I honestly don't blame Cryptic for snubbing you. If you really want to complain about Cryptic giving your faction a lack of content, I wouldn't mind it if Cryptic actually did just that and gave you guys absolutely nothing (no ships, no missions - faction neutral or otherwise, no doffs) for several months. Like sending a bratty child to their room without dinner. Maybe it'd make you guys appreciate what Cryptic does for you rather than what they haven't done for you. Doesn't matter how many apologies Cryptic has given, or how many times they try to make amends, you guys still throw tantrums and act as if KDF is the exact same as it was during beta, when reality proves it isn't.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • amlrossamlross Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I want to say something similar to the OP.

I started as a F2P noob simply because this is my first (and probably last) MMORPG.

I wasnt sure if i would be able to play an MMO, but since I love all things trek, what better mmo to try than this one?

Since F2P started, I have played almost every day. Ive spent a lot of money buying zen ships, lock box keys, and other Zen stuff.

Like the OP, ive paid my dues.

Now im a lifer.

Qapla' !
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm one of the people in since beta that's not happy about this. It's kind of spitting in the face of people that have been supporting this game for the long run. While yes it makes the LTS worth buying again, it's going to cause a lot of people to lose faith in the company as a whole. All the veteran titles are a joke now since you can just buy them.

I would have much rather the vet rewards were opened up to the silvers since that would have been fair to everyone. You play for the time you get the rewards regardless of gold, silver, or lifer, but this just seems like a cheap cash grab again instead of making quality content that's actually worth the money.

*Shakes his angry bitter old man fist from the porch yelling "dang Cryptic! GET OFF MY LAWN!!!"*
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I would agree that the titles should have remained a function of actual time subscribed. That one thing doesn't have any effect on gameplay, and served only as an indicator of how long you've been in. It could actually be seen as useful, especially on the forums, for new players to use as an indicator of who has actual long term experience.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • aestuaestu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I already owned a lifetime sub before this change. So I gained from it, at no added cost, and therefore my opinion is completely impartial: it's a scam.

I don't begrudge that players who put their money, time and energy into this game before me got the rewards first. I was looking forward to getting them in time, and this change takes a lot of wind out of my sails.

More than that, this change, and the simultaneous change to the TOS that PWE does not make an "implicit or explicit" guarantee as to the continued service of the game brings into play grave doubts about the longevity of the game.

Lifetime sub is only as good as the lifetime of the game, not the player.

Removing veteran rewards brings that lifetime into question...and makes it clear that this change makes the lifetime sub a sucker's bargain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    I'll break it down even more simply:

Before: Reward players for sticking with STO
    After: Reward players for giving PWE immediate cash

(also note another change to the TOS, payments are now "immediate" and completely non-refundable under any condition, which is probably unenforceable anywhere outside China)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The problem is this:

1) Lifers since launch are the ones close to 1000 day vet reward. Now the lifers who paid $100 less after PWE took over and didn't invest in the game prior to 2012 get the same rewards.

2) PWE doesn't care what happened prior to 2012 as it wasn't their game and never saw any profit from those players. So as far as they are concerned lifers since launch are just F2P players.

No matter how you feel about it, these changes were for the LTS since 2012 group. New LTS should be quite happy with the changes as it gives a real perk to LTS that you can't get elsewhere.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
    edited October 2012
    New LTS should be quite happy with the changes as it gives a real perk to LTS that you can't get elsewhere.
    They'll be a lot less happy when they find out they bought a 100-mile lemon.

(i.e., awesome looking, awesome priced car that turns out to be a lemon after 100 miles)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • boscoharkboscohark Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    As a Lifetimer and a long term veteran I have no issues with Lifetime Members, regardless of when they become one, getting these perks. Lifers are investing in the game up front which contains some risks. For us long term Lifers that risk has been paid off as the game is reaching the time where we are essentially playing for free now. I like that they continue to offer this as yet another revenue stream and have perks associated with that status.
  • towanitowani Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    diafpwe wrote: »
    The only thing hurt by this move by Cryptic are the rather small e-peens of the wailing. :cool:

Truth.

I have no issue with it. I was saying a while back that there should be no wait for veteran rewards if you're a LTS.
    Hi. Apparently I'm new here and joined in Jun 2012. Guess I'm in good company though... seems everyone else joined then too!
  • dariusmajeredariusmajere Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The problem is this:

1) Lifers since launch are the ones close to 1000 day vet reward. Now the lifers who paid $100 less after PWE took over and didn't invest in the game prior to 2012 get the same rewards.

The Life time Subscription Was $199 for a short while to boost it sales PRIOR to F2P as a matter of fact.. while during beta you had the option to get it for $199. There are people who ALSO bought there LTS for the full price.. Like I did. I spent $299 on it, I have also consistantly put easily over $100 into Start Trek near monthly into Selling Zen or buying Boxes or the Rare (you hear that Cryptic.. RARE) Cstore Addition. Heck Other PWE games.. since PWE was mentioned.. Actually Offer you additional Perks for continuously supporting the games. Some offer Higher Drop rates, Increased EC pickup, Increased Inventory/Bank space or Extra skill Percentage.. Based on how Much Zen you Purchase. If PWE did have a Full say behind what is going on in this game for a Cash grab.. These would already be established. Perfect Examples: Battle of Immortals.
    edited October 2012
    towani wrote: »
    The only thing hurt by this move by Cryptic are the rather small e-peens of the wailing.
    Truth.

I have no issue with it. I was saying a while back that there should be no wait for veteran rewards if you're a LTS.

Resorting to insults and excessive use of the word "I" is the hallmark of a weak position.

This is something PR workers do, they say, "I" this and "I" that and try to argue that because they have no problem with it, no-one should have a problem with it, and anyone who does, must be flawed in some way.

In reality, it's really very simple, it's a form of bullying, appeal to social pressure, to get people to stop thinking and give the company their money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I like it i have been playing the game since 6/8/11 and if i would have got the life sub in the start i would have all of my Vet reward's bye now.

In my opinion i think all Life sub's should have goten all the rewards Be cause they paid either 200 or 300 dollars for the sub and them some.So yes this is a great deal for us life subbers.

It should have been instantly any way if we paid for a life sub.

In the start i was paying a monthly payment 15$ a month bye the time i realized the amount i was paying for a monthly account i could have had a life sub.I waited till they had a discount on the Life sub at 200$.

I all so put about 100$ a month into STO as many other do.
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    aestu wrote: »
    the simultaneous change to the TOS that PWE does not make an "implicit or explicit" guarantee as to the continued service of the game brings into play grave doubts about the longevity of the game.

Okay, granting that your scenario is not totally implausible...

First, no MMO ever guarantees the continued service of the game, nor do they ever guarantee uptime or access to the game. I haven't compared the new TOS to the old one, nor will I, but I suspect this is more about legal coverage than conspiracy.

Second, a deliberate move such as the one you are hypothesizing would utterly destroy any and all credibility in the company throughout the entire gaming industry. It would not only destroy the studio's credibility -- while they're gearing up to launch a new title -- but it would affect the parent corporation as well. It would be a very bad business decision.

Buying an LTS was always a risky proposition. You're betting that the lights will stay on long enough to justify your investment. What exactly has changed in that regard?

In any case folks, please limit the rumor-mongering and heated counter-arguments and keep Forum Rules in mind as you post in this thread. Definitely keep out any hint of name-calling or insults. Thanks.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • dariusmajeredariusmajere Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Okay, granting that your scenario is not totally implausible...

First, no MMO ever guarantees the continued service of the game, nor do they ever guarantee uptime or access to the game. I haven't compared the new TOS to the old one, nor will I, but I suspect this is more about legal coverage than conspiracy.

Second, a deliberate move such as the one you are hypothesizing would utterly destroy any and all credibility in the company throughout the entire gaming industry. It would not only destroy the studio's credibility -- while they're gearing up to launch a new title -- but it would affect the parent corporation as well. It would be a very bad business decision.

Buying an LTS was always a risky proposition. You're betting that the lights will stay on long enough to justify your investment. What exactly has changed in that regard?

In any case folks, please limit the rumor-mongering and heated counter-arguments and keep Forum Rules in mind as you post in this thread. Definitely keep out any hint of name-calling or insults. Thanks.

Hey Lifetime means Lifetime! If you guys shut down STO, I demand you build me a Real Life Mobious Destroyer To fly around to work and back! I mean it! Oh, and the tank better be topped off!
This discussion has been closed.