What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ask Cryptic: October 2012

Comments

• Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yeah this reputation system sounds like way more trouble than its worth. If you bring notice to how your behavior goes against federation values that should get you kicked out of the organization or put at a desk job.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    We arent playing F:NV and we are not independent contractors either.

A dynamic system does not work too well in STO due to the very nature of WHO you are supposed to be.
    Thats the main problem i see here too. As a starfleet officer you can either follow orders or not. Well you can get more popular with certain kind of factions, but not as much as some freelancer could.
    Some things that work with other MMOs just don't work with Star Trek very well, a reputation system is certainly one of them. But when i look around on Starfleet academy or ESD i see very few people even trying to wear a starfleet like uniform. Most seem to think they play some sort of Mass Effect game if you look at their "uniforms".
    The same applies to ships, we get more and more non Starfleet ships in Starfleet, i am still puzzeling about the point of that.

So the devs seem to like the idea of turning us players into something like mercenaries that have just loose contact to starfleet. But in order to do that in a believeable way they need to roll the complete game inside out, changing all missions and change the Rank system and some more other things too.

STO moves more and more away from Star Trek as i like it IMO.
    They should just release the rights of Star Trek and create a sci fi universe of their own. Seriously i think, it would be a much better game then STO. Most of STOs balancing issues wouldn't be half as serve and they wouldn't be half as emotional important as now.

Thank you for reading.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    yreodred wrote: »
    Thats the main problem i see here too. As a starfleet officer you can either follow orders or not. Well you can get more popular with certain kind of factions, but not as much as some freelancer could.
    Some things that work with other MMOs just don't work with Star Trek very well, a reputation system is certainly one of them. But when i look around on Starfleet academy or ESD i see very few people even trying to wear a starfleet like uniform. Most seem to think they play some sort of Mass Effect game if you look at their "uniforms".
    The same applies to ships, we get more and more non Starfleet ships in Starfleet, i am still puzzeling about the point of that.

So the devs seem to like the idea of turning us players into something like mercenaries that have just loose contact to starfleet. But in order to do that in a believeable way they need to roll the complete game inside out, changing all missions and change the Rank system and some more other things too.

STO moves more and more away from Star Trek as i like it IMO.
    They should just release the rights of Star Trek and create a sci fi universe of their own. Seriously i think, it would be a much better game then STO. Most of STOs balancing issues wouldn't be half as serve and they wouldn't be half as emotional important as now.

Thank you for reading.

Yeah the ongoing problem I have with this game is that somewhere in the totem pole the integrity of the game and the Star Trek Franchise is sold out to make an extra buck to those that don't really care much for what the game is modeled after and is made for via the licensing they always talk about they have to get.

Comes to another point of why I love the KDF side over the federation side because of that fact that this game the federation side gives the feeling of its not the federation at all. Plus it definately at the least needs something thats not one of those eye sore of a exploration mission but something like Pi Canis that KDF gets to do for dilithium too. Since the game has gotten so grindy the more grind it gets the less I want to play my federation toons. On top of that its rare you will see anymore than 1 or 2 players in a given instance that looks like they resemble anything of Starfleet.

Pretty much though what they expect and what players are expecting now is to try to ignore the quick cash grabs that are being put into the game and take in the little bit of Star Trek each season might bring if any. By the time they start doing redo's of the lockboxes you'll mostly see just about every other player in some ship that is not KDF or Federation but those are the only 2 factions that will probally ever be in this game because they put everything into lockboxes and any money being spent to support this game and make it grow further is just putting back into the lockbox system and no additional mission content either que or FE based (only way PvP will get any better either is if someone comes up with a way that ppl will pay to pvp in a massive scale to put $$$ in the eyes of those at the top of the totem pole).
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ask Cryptic: October 2012, Question #2
    Q: (awesometific) It seems that the Klingon/Fed War story line has fallen by the wayside and there doesn't seem to be a reason for the factions to be separated. Are there any plans to either reinforce this story line or drop it all together and move the narrative forward?

Dstahl: We plan to move the narrative forward over the next three seasons, starting with an indirect attempt by both factions to bring the Romulans to their side of the conflict.
    I hope to hell that I'm reading this wrong, but it looks like you're planning to add the Romulans into the Federation and / or Klingon factions. Dont!

There was a poll that you guys put up a month ago asking the community what they most wanted out of the game right now. Think I remember a Romulan Playable Faction leading that poll. The fans have spoken. Can the development team deliver? If this latest Ask Cryptic is anything to go by, and if I'm reading it right, then you're planning to ignore the wishes of the fans completely, and are going to shove the Romulans in elsewhere (rather than give them the faction they deserve).

The Romulans aren't ready to join the Federation, and even when they do get to a point that they are, they sure as hell wouldn't join with the Klingons. With the exception of Sela and her band of merry soldiers, when have the Klingons and Romulans ever cooperated with only each other? These two species aren't overly fond of each other, so it is my hope that they are very much kept apart from each other in terms of alliances.

Star Trek: Online (eventually) needs more than two factions; the Romulans are the logical choice for faction number #3. I don't want to see them wasted as castaways that are incorporated into other factions. If you're not in a position to create a third faction just yet, that's fine, you don't need too, but don't integrate the Romulans into a current faction.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    A new TIER of Ships?

You better not make any of the current Ships obsolete, the Fleet Ship nonsense was hard enough to stomach already.
    If all my C-Store purchases and LockBox Ships will be made obsolete by the Admiral Rank, i don't know if that would make me want to get them... or if it would just make me rage quit.

Oh and disappoint that Foundry gets no love from the Reputation System, i just finally want an in-game reason to PLAY Foundry and get some epic Loot out of it.
    Be that a *Lobi* Store for Foundry kind of thing, or through the Rep System...

I am surprised that Season 7 is already next month, with the bigger team size will we get more Seasons per Year again?
    I expected it to hit somewhere around 12/2012 01/2013 to be honest...
    if so when can we expect Season 8? more like 3 or more like 6 months after S7?

With more Romulan Stuff in S7, do we get to hear / see Obisek again?
    (still one of the few really memorable characters in STO)

When Kits get turned into single items...
    i love the idea, finally some more diverse builds than the default 5.
    but i also see some huge negatives here.

right now i need 5 inventory slots to have all kits on me at all times for each profession, splitting these 5 kits up would already result in 20 required slots for the items,
    then add a few new ones through... whatever monetized pay to win (pay for power) way and boom half the inventory / bank is full with kit items...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mskurnikmskurnik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Will we again see a data feed for the captains database, and captains log?
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    flash525 wrote: »
    Ask Cryptic: October 2012, Question #2I hope to hell that I'm reading this wrong, but it looks like you're planning to add the Romulans into the Federation and / or Klingon factions. Dont!

There was a poll that you guys put up a month ago asking the community what they most wanted out of the game right now. Think I remember a Romulan Playable Faction leading that poll. The fans have spoken. Can the development team deliver? If this latest Ask Cryptic is anything to go by, and if I'm reading it right, then you're planning to ignore the wishes of the fans completely, and are going to shove the Romulans in elsewhere (rather than give them the faction they deserve).

The Romulans aren't ready to join the Federation, and even when they do get to a point that they are, they sure as hell wouldn't join with the Klingons. With the exception of Sela and her band of merry soldiers, when have the Klingons and Romulans ever cooperated with only each other? These two species aren't overly fond of each other, so it is my hope that they are very much kept apart from each other in terms of alliances.

Star Trek: Online (eventually) needs more than two factions; the Romulans are the logical choice for faction number #3. I don't want to see them wasted as castaways that are incorporated into other factions. If you're not in a position to create a third faction just yet, that's fine, you don't need too, but don't integrate the Romulans into a current faction.
    He said 'indirect attempt'. That is the Reputation system, where both factions do missions involving the Romulans, trying to get them on their side.

But like he said, it's an attempt. Nothing's been decided yet on if the Romulans will become another playable faction, or intergrated into a different faction.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I can't wait for season 7 to come with new things to do right before the holidays especially so you can dive into them and have lots to do. The black cloud I am kinda seeing right now because I do understand its a business and PWE wouldn't be letting resources go outside of lockboxes if there wasn't some dilithium/zen/c point sink involved. The idea what I am thinking is its going to be mostly a new variant of the doff system for the most part with some angry romulans trying to make a living in their new colony. Also that I'll prolly be hitting the F key and the 3 key to rifle but the angry romulan thugs.

Here is to hoping that I am wrong and that its going to be something different than the norm.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I smell another gigantic ressource annhilation coming up with the new reputation system. I sincerely hope it does not require either dilithium or doffs to advance in reputation.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    zerobang wrote: »
    A new TIER of Ships?

You better not make any of the current Ships obsolete, the Fleet Ship nonsense was hard enough to stomach already.
    If all my C-Store purchases and LockBox Ships will be made obsolete by the Admiral Rank, i don't know if that would make me want to get them... or if it would just make me rage quit.

Oh and disappoint that Foundry gets no love from the Reputation System, i just finally want an in-game reason to PLAY Foundry and get some epic Loot out of it.
    Be that a *Lobi* Store for Foundry kind of thing, or through the Rep System...

I am surprised that Season 7 is already next month, with the bigger team size will we get more Seasons per Year again?
    I expected it to hit somewhere around 12/2012 01/2013 to be honest...
    if so when can we expect Season 8? more like 3 or more like 6 months after S7?
    I hope that we can upgrade our present ships to tier 6. But as i know the devs, they will make them way better than the ships we already have so we "have" to buy them to keep competitive. On the other hand Fleet ships (Fleet tier 5) are not even availlable until then...

In my opinion for every played foundry mission a player should have the chance to get a few Lobi crystals.

I am surprised myself that Season 7 will be released in november, that's a unanticipated pleasure, but i have learned not to expect too much from cryptic. So i won't be dissappointed too heavy.

Thank you for reading.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited October 2012
    So we get yet more grind then, yeah not going to happen from me...
  • Options
    psyloafpsyloaf Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Woo my question was answered!
    Fleet Advanced Research Vessel T6
    Commander Science, Lieutenant Commander Engineering, Lieutenant Commander Universal, Lieutenant Tactical, Ensign Science
  • Options
    raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Nice read, nice to know what the are planning for the future but what are they going to do with what is already out that needs alot of fixing?
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I was planning on buying a couple of more C-Store ships soon. Unless you're willing to tell me that there will absolutely not ever be any T6 ships, I think I'll stick with what I've got.

Also, grinding anything is not fun. It is not fun at all.
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    zerobang wrote: »
    With more Romulan Stuff in S7, do we get to hear / see Obisek again?
    (still one of the few really memorable characters in STO)

Good news for you, this tweet from Kestrel (writer at Cryptic Studios) mentions recording sessions with Eric Newsome, the guy who voices Obisek.

https://twitter.com/Cryptic_Kestrel/status/252939638552031232
    Cryptic_Kestrel ‏@Cryptic_Kestrel

Fun recording session today with Eric Newsome, aka the voice of Obisek.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jcsww wrote: »
    The only thing that seems to be on deck for Season 7 are more epic grinds that just make me want to play less! :(

Grinds are their focus now

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If we gain ranks in the Romulan Reputation, then will it affect the Romulan FE series and other Romulan episodes with dialogue? I see two possible scenarios, our reputation is only based on the Romulan Colony and the rest of the Romulans don't know or care about what we do there or our reputation is with all Romulans and their might be some dialogue changes or scenarios where Romulan soldiers are willing to let us pass without incident since we helped a bunch of Romulans.
  • Options
    outlaw51825outlaw51825 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    There are defintely things to worry about in this latest one.
    • No PVP questions answered
    • The process on T6 ships being undisclosed, oh by the way if they're Zen only you can shut the game down right now. 1 tier of Pure Zen hell has been bad enough. 2 will make most people flee en masse.
    • The Revelation of a new Admiral rank. This raises alot of concerns because a sizeable amount of people didnt even want Admiral in. Will we get a skill reset when this change occurs? How will new points be determined?
    • The T6 ships are they going to be entirely new designs? Bringing Back older ones? How will T6 compare to fleet?
    • The above almost guarntees Mk 13 and 14 gear I cant see more ships being added without higher gear being available. How will that be handled?
    • Will Bridge Officers be expanded to allow the extra level of content coming up or will we be forced to buy 4+ bridge officer slots to properly field that backup ship?

Now November is a nice thing to see i entered mid season so i'm glad to see one's closer at hand. But I hope these questions and more get answered in the upcoming weeks. I'm juist BARELY there on a fleet ship. The thought of having to grind even more for a new T6 ship is...well. Tbh i Play C9 which while a grind type of game has a very fun combat system. STO's is fun but there are far less direct rewards in this game compared to C9 Pay 2 Win=Pay 2 Fail. and i'll be out. C9 at least rewards its players for doing well rather than hinder them.
  • Options
    kwiat007kwiat007 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Good news for you, this tweet from Kestrel (writer at Cryptic Studios) mentions recording sessions with Eric Newsome, the guy who voices Obisek.

https://twitter.com/Cryptic_Kestrel/status/252939638552031232

Great news! I hope this time we will get a chance to kill him. He is a traitor and a terrorist!
    [SIGPIC]Join Date: August 2009[/SIGPIC]
    I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
    where R.S.E. is what it always should be.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Got another one:

Could we get rear-swept Pylons for the Regent? ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    kwiat007 wrote: »
    Great news! I hope this time we will get a chance to kill him. He is a traitor and a terrorist!

They have been slaves too long... They must die.
  • Options
    atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The above almost guarntees Mk 13 and 14 gear I cant see more ships being added without higher gear being available. How will that be handled?
    Mark 11 and 12 gear spans levels 50 to 59. Admiral, if they keep to the "Admiral ranks span 5 levels each" would go up to 59. No new marks necessary.
  • Options
    misskoryamisskorya Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Are we ever going to see a Wolf 359 pack of ships?

Niagara-class
    New Orleans-class
    Springfield-class
    etc...

It could be the next box set? Perhaps with some more Borg stuff, or part of a Q Box you know how fun he is.

Also, where's the Ambassador-class? (She was an Enterprise after all)
    Stormwarden Tessara Tharneth

Hellbringer Mera Smoak

Classes Wanted: Druid | Monk | Bard | Sorcerer | Barbarian
    Races Wanted: Half-Orc | Gnome | Warforged
  • Options
    typhoncaltyphoncal Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It was unfortunate that we heard nothing about expanding the universe other than them adding another block for adding the Delta Quadrant (Note to Stahl: Don't forget we have Klingon's on a Delta Quadrant World - Voyager). Perhaps it is time that Cryptic hire someone with some good programing skills and find a way to represent the REAL ST Universe vs. what we are forced to accept.

Iam pleased to see that they are looking at using the Foundry as many have suggested to fill in that gap in which they have left empty.
    Commander Shran - You tell Archer, that is three the pink skin owes me!
  • Options
    miloguymiloguy Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I just finished the undeen stuff,
    will we see more of them ? and what about more romulan episodes,
    theres a big trek universe with loads more episodes, im sure they could do more?
  • Options
    fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    PWE need to lean to play better with others. All there other games are grind feast and CSers(aKa P2W) heaven . :( Not to say this going down that patch yet if they add more free ships and way to get gear with out to mush grind/framing then by all means keep it up. :P;)
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • Options
    miloguymiloguy Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    id like to see instead of energy credits for the tour, how about adding dilithium to the tour too for a casual player like me the prices of the ships are very hard for me to obtain..
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    He said 'indirect attempt'. That is the Reputation system, where both factions do missions involving the Romulans, trying to get them on their side.
    The mere fact they're thinking along the lines of integrating the Romulans into an already existing faction is cause for concern.
    trek21 wrote: »
    But like he said, it's an attempt. Nothing's been decided yet on if the Romulans will become another playable faction, or intergrated into a different faction.
    That's what worries me.
    typhoncal wrote: »
    It was unfortunate that we heard nothing about expanding the universe other than them adding another block for adding the Delta Quadrant (Note to Stahl: Don't forget we have Klingon's on a Delta Quadrant World - Voyager). Perhaps it is time that Cryptic hire someone with some good programing skills and find a way to represent the REAL ST Universe vs. what we are forced to accept.
    We could actually do with three more blocks; one for the Tholians (directly below eta Eridani), another one for the Romulans (directly right of Iota Pavonis; requiring Level 4 diplomacy access) and, as you've stated, one for the Delta Quadrant species.

Should also state, good call you've made on the Delta Quadrant Klingons, though I'm not sure (seeing as they destroyed their ship and went to their new planet with little technology) that they'd be flying around in starships just yet. I'd like to see the Fen Damar; they weren't seen on screen, but were mentioned in End Game as lying somewhere between the edge of the Beta & Gamma Quadrant. Voyager lost a lot of crew when fighting them if I recall?

Also, Tier #6 ships. Lets be realistic about this guys, they're all going to cost us. The only freebee we might get out of it is the standard Odyssey Class (they'll probably upgrade the Odyssey to Tier #6 anyway).
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222