Ask Cryptic: September 2012

Comments

• Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Balance of terror...but if TNG then Face of the Enemy

Awesome SIG! ;)

Oh, and I whole heartedly agree, Balance of Terror should be on the playlist.
  • Options
    eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This Poll is rigged. People are creating new accounts just to vote for those green blooded vipers. A trick worthy of Romulans!
  • Options
    nimrodicanimrodica Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I used to PVP for the Empire every day, lol.
    It was a tough choice between more KDF content and better PVP.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Why do I get the idea that the forum posters are majority Klinks? Ive been begging them for official polls for years.

There have been official polls for years. There just hasn't been one since the new forums went up.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    drphil321drphil321 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Playable Romulans all the way. I'd take Romulans over KDF any day.
  • Options
    startuxstartux Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    syberghost wrote: »
    There have been official polls for years. There just hasn't been one since the new forums went up.

That and Cryptic are now part of PWE, so things should hopefully be different as they should now have more resources to make those wishes come true.
  • Options
    startuxstartux Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    drphil321 wrote: »
    Playable Romulans all the way. I'd take Romulans over KDF any day.

Well...I'd rather have the KDF finished first. but I'd settle for the same time if that's possible.
  • Options
    superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Nice Ask Cryptic. Much more talk about upcoming content then new systems (or what's NOT coming soon). I still want the Android and Maurading BOFF fixed sometime this year, though.
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Note: I haven't read through the thread and just voted...

Personally, I would love to see a fully fleshed out 1-50 PvE Klingon side. That, above all else, would really give me a reason to roll a Klingon.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I would have thought KDF content would have beat everything easy on the Forums being as people always say that majority players want KDF, but really between Romulans and KDF, its pretty even....although the Romulans have a slight lead.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    venezia123venezia123 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    more kdf content absolutely
  • Options
    xpectadeth68xpectadeth68 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Makes no sense to have catians as a playable class BEFORE the CANON Romulans.so fix that and give us the romulans as a playable class.
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    More KDF.

So a whole 998 people took the poll? Did I read that right?
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    More KDF.

1010 as of my post :D The numbers keep going up, and I doubt they'll stop, even if they only trickle. Sure each person on the forums can only vote once (unless they wish to risk multiple accounts), but it's still a lot.

And it's only a small fraction of the entire STO playerbase lol.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So lets list the people that potrayed a romulan...

Kirk, Picard, Data, Sela (its really tasha lets face it) Troi, Sarek (before he was spocks dad)

im sure theres more...help me fill the list in...

now lets list all the characters who dressed up as klingons....

lets see theres worf who pretended all these years...

and um...worf...

alas im sadden david warner never played a romulan for trek, he played teran, klingon, and cardassian...darn.

with 1k votes in so far....its still early to call it but im thinking the community is leaning towards getting the romulans in game...hey Cryptic...ball is in your court ...what you going to do now eh?
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It is hard to make a single choice when so much has been promised (or talked about and then forgotten), so it is not a single item but more like the top three.

For me that would be in this order

1. More content for End-game
    2. More KDF content for progression
    3. A Playable Romulan Race (even if embedded in UFP and KDF factions)
  • Options
    synthscanner#2101 synthscanner Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    More KDF.

1010 as of my post :D The numbers keep going up, and I doubt they'll stop, even if they only trickle. Sure each person on the forums can only vote once (unless they wish to risk multiple accounts), but it's still a lot.

And it's only a small fraction of the entire STO playerbase lol.

For polls such as these, that are "official" and do not come around very often, Cryptic should seriously not even have to consider utilizing such features as the in game bulletin system and the launcher to spread word of and link this poll... It should simply be DONE without question.

Acquire as as many votes as possible, from as many players willing to visit the forum to participate. I'm pretty sure they've spread the word about this via Twitter and Facebook which is also good (PWE_BranFlakes Qapla').
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Sure there are plenty of players like myself who rarely read the forums. But this poll and a friend got me in.

I want to play a Romulan. I want a faction though, Playable hints at mini faction.
    Besides as someone else said, If they don't even finish the KDF then how will they treat the next faction?
  • Options
    superman072381p2superman072381p2 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Those who played klingons. odo, sisko, o'brian, worf. the candyman (i forget the actors name) Picard is held in high regards of the empire. And the klingons joke kirk is part Klingon.
    bunansa wrote: »

Kirk, Picard, Data, Sela (its really tasha lets face it) Troi, Sarek (before he was spocks dad)

and um...worf...

alas im sadden david warner never played a romulan for trek, he played teran, klingon, and cardassian...darn.

with 1k votes in so far....its still early to call it but im thinking the community is leaning towards getting the romulans in game...hey Cryptic...ball is in your court ...what you going to do now eh?
  • Options
    kilemorgankilemorgan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    bunansa wrote: »

and um...worf...

Don't forget Andreas Katsulas who played Captain Tomalak, and G'kar on Babylon 5

I used to be able to name off some of the Klingon actors, but I'm forgetting things lately.
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    kilemorgan wrote: »
    Don't forget Andreas Katsulas who played Captain Tomalak, and G'kar on Babylon 5

I used to be able to name off some of the Klingon actors, but I'm forgetting things lately.

I didnt, but I was aiming for federation members who went under the knife so to speak to look the part lol.....

face of the enemy is probably one of my favorite tng episodes, that and the one where picard draws the smiley face in the warp core breach due to the temporal fluxuation the breached romulan quantum singularity drive had caused...makes you wonder what else we romulans dabble in lol...
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    A Vote For Romulans, is a Vote for the Klingons....We will install Ja'rod as the new chancellor, he is House of Duras, it's in his blood to work for us. We will rule the Empire from Romulus Ehh umm I mean Roma Nova

(BTW can we rename Rator III to New Romulus or neo Romulus or something or just plane Romulus Or time travel and Bring back Romulus with i dunno a timeship)

Also bring back Donatra with those fancy Timeships, and use lockbox money to get Dina Meyer's likeness, in and out of Romulan attire....like her on Risa undercover as a human.....too much :P
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    row124row124 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Although, I would have preferred a playable Cardassion Union faction, the Romulan Star Empire should make a great playable faction/story. I would like to suggest the following stories for the Romulan faction stories:

- Imperial Star Empire front missions (where Romulan command/leadership tries to keep their own systems worlds from turning to Federation for help. Possibly preventing them seceding to the Federation)

- Romulan-Remen Civil War (self explanatory)

- Klingon Expansion (This is where the Romulan's push the Klingons back into their own space)

- Hunting for Allies (This is where the Romulan captain is sent on a long distance diplomatic mission to recruit further additional Hirogen. Allowing for access to Hirogen bridge officers + Hirogen ships that are already currently seen in game)

- Federation Cold War (This is where Romulans can stick it to the Feds. War with the Federation was never officially sanctioned, but is strongly encouraged. I?m talking about raids, hit-and-runs attacks on Federation colonies, piracy in space, remember they lost their home planet, Romulans need more resources. What better way to get them than from the Federation!)

- Technological Advancement (The Borg-Romulan connection has already been established. These missions continue that story arc. In the end the Romulans should be able to obtain some great tech from the Borg. The game designers could make players obtain the assimilated Borg set first, and then add specific special effects that only affect Romulan type ships. The sky?s the limit here for them)

Of course all Romulan, Remen and Hirogen ships should be made available to players who obtain the expansion faction. Maybe they can add a few more additional ships here too that are currently not seen in game.
  • Options
    mavgeekrsamavgeekrsa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Please for the love of god vote more PvP.

2.5 years and no PvP updates.. Just remember that. The KDF and Foundry combined, have had more content added to the game for them compared to PvP content.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    redshirtarmy.com - RedShirtArmy Podcast
    STO / Cryptic member since 2009 (mavgeek)
  • Options
    theatretechie6theatretechie6 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I voted for the KDF Content and that is the number one thing I want see. However the close number two would be more featured episodes and a third would be the ability to play as the Romulans. I will say that I do want the klingon faction completed before they introduce another.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    From commentary at the earlier parts of this thread:

I don't like weighted / Ranked polls in games because they can lead to MLB / College ball sillyness...

If there is a close race for the top 3 slots, sticking with STO, let's stay with More KDF, Rommie faction, and FEs.

If enough people vote pick-a-race, FE, pick-other-race, then the poll result would show that FEs win by a landslide with KDF and Rommies a close second/third...

By forcing us to pick the one thing that each individual would want to see, then they know what would "most please" a significant chunk of the fanbase...

Onto my list:
    Top is FE, while it's "lackluster" compared to true KDF content, at least this gets everyone something new to play, and proper post-event slotting / shifting can help fill out some holes in the KDF. Also, depending on the mission, there could be significant re-use of some of these maps in other, KDF-only situations (quicker to write, I'd love to traipse my Feds around the map that the KDF got for Alpha, and a recolor of the early Q'onos mission (farming run against Rommie Spies) could see some use as a "generic Fed agricultural world"...

Crafting, DOffs, STFs, PvP round out my top 5. "proper" crafting stimulates the economy, as those who don't mind crafting run around for parts and get rich for their time selling useful goods on the exchange. DOffing is an excellent "facebook" type activity that I often chase while on lunch from work or when poking around the house. STFs go with FEs, as they tend to be decent places to meet up with people and play, vs. the "forced" interactions on some of these bases, where people on 5 separate instances are spamming gorn/tribble jokes and other barely useful drivel in between the occasional useful comment/request. PvP needs a revamp/rebalance/rebuild, while I don't like PvP personally, the balance that a good PvP system invokes makes PvE that much more enjoyable (and by balance I mean being able to pick a nifty power like tetryon beam and actually have it work right at level 50 instead of being weaker than a full science weapons volley because Tac boosted tetryon beams strip a ship's shields quicker than the Borg demolition beam...

These are all things that benefit both sides of the game, and (IMO) should take as much priority - if not more - than adding a couple dozen KDF only missions (which should be getting worked on by at least 1-2 devs at all times if the team is truly big enough) or trying to create a fully featured third faction when the second faction is in such a sorry state...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I voted for "More KDF Content".
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This is my version from the poll and hoping all the choices are things they are willing to work on...

Foremost I wouldn't mind having the KDF having more races merge into it because essentially they are becoming like the federation but still holding onto their beliefs unlike how the federation was founded and *initially* started. The major issue is how they are going to unfold any content related to these races within joining one of the 2 factions as well as offering players who made alien fake races like romulan, cardassian, etc to turn them into the REAL DEAL without losing anything they have gained in the game itself.

As far as content for both sides what I would suggest is after into the hive that they make a series of STF type things to go along with their stories after season 7 to include iconian version for both sides or an iconian and fek'ihr type stf.

For PvP I believe they should change the way sector travel works so you have areas travelling between each sector where there is open pvp and then safe areas. I think for any that love PvP or want the game to have more of a Star Trek Feel that it should be that way and when you do things that are in open pvp there should be benefits for objectives you obtain there that are more than what you get in places that would be pve only/friendly.

The last thing I wanna mention because I have seen Elite PSG's for ground from the starbases... I am kinda wondering why they feel like they are mostly anti borg but you have the problem of remodulation with them would be nice to run mixed sets possibly but there is no way at all for it to not feel annoying since you need all 3 pieces for the instant remodulator unless there are plans on it coming with your weapon once you have completed the set or possibly something that could be worked on to make the fleet gear feel more accessible.
  • Options
    nylahspocknylahspock Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I voted to improve pvp but if you have to improve KDF first change my vote to improving the KDF.

P.S.- I love this game and these posts always keeps me excited about whats around the corner.
  • Options
    dariusmajeredariusmajere Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I voted KDF Content, If I want PVP I will goto another space based game Respawn kills dont give me a blood rush. Nor does the ability to quickly change my Tank/ weaponry while in the middle of respawning to counter what my opponent had on.
    Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
    Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
    Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
    [SIGPIC]http://massivechaos.enjin.com/[/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.