What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Are You Giving Up on Starbases??

Comments

• Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I am not giving up but I will be slowing down immensely seems how the DOFF requirements alone for most of these missions is absolutely stupid insane and not being able to buy them off the Exchange not only ruins that market but is a huge hindrance.
  • Options
    jacenjacen24jacenjacen24 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Ou fleet seems to keeping its pace going. But we do have a mission where we need 2 purple doffs. And that has been there for days. We are almost tier 2.

But the idea is to have a bunch of peeps contribute a little
  • Options
    boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Fleet Doff vendor supporters and exchange users, rejoice....

August 28th Tribble patch notes...

Duty Officers:
    Dilithium rewards granted for dismissing any Duty Officer have been reduced.
    New rewards are as follows:
    White: 1
    Green: 10
    Blue: 25
    Purple: 50
    Amount of Recruitment CXP has not been altered.
    All Duty Officers obtained from the Fleet Exchange can once more be contributed to Fleet Projects.
    This change is retroactive, and will allow all existing versions of these items to be contributed, as well as any obtained in the future.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    paratusinparatusin Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm in a small fleet that focuses on quality over quantity, and the new change has made it near impossible to get the 60 specific doffs required for so many of the missions, not to mention the dosi rotgot and romulan ale for the bartender mission, which cant be canceled and has to be completed before you can upgrade anything up another teir. After we have put soo much effort into making a smaller fleet work, this comes as a big blow to us, and I feel that we have been forgotten about by the people who run the game. whoever this decision was made to benefit, it isn't the average player. This is... disheartening to say the least :(
  • Options
    naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I am fine with the way it works at the moment.

It's a starbase "we" are building. To me it would feel "unreal" if the T5 would be reached in about a few weeks/months.

I don't know how long it took the people to finish the real starbase Mir but I guess it took a long time.

So everything is fine to me. I don't mind if it takes some time. Also there's no need to rush.

Just my opinion.
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    boglejam73 wrote: »

Duty Officers:
    All Duty Officers obtained from the Fleet Exchange can once more be contributed to Fleet Projects.
    This change is retroactive, and will allow all existing versions of these items to be contributed, as well as any obtained in the future.

AFTER we all deleted them??
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    boglejam73 wrote: »

Duty Officers:

Thank goodness they have buckled and reversed this situation. It proves that when the chorus of voices gets loud enough they listen(ie back down) which is good for a company that depends on those people for income to do. As I said in other threads I predicted that they would not be so fullish as to let this carry on.

So was this mistake(ie Test) "working as intended"?

Anyways Bravo Cryptic for knowing when to reverse course and show that you do listen!!!:D
  • Options
    hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Those dilithium values are rather a bad joke, though. All cut by over 90% (up to 98.7%) no reason given? Please don't go and applaud them so loudly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    Those dilithium values are rather a bad joke, though. All cut by over 90% (up to 98.7%) no reason given? Please don't go and applaud them so loudly.

When you can effectively turn one Purple doff into what - 27 White doffs via the 'doff breaker'; the reason for the reductilon seems fairly obvious.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    wilsoncutter001wilsoncutter001 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    When you can effectively turn one Purple doff into what - 27 White doffs via the 'doff breaker'; the reason for the reductilon seems fairly obvious.

^^^^^agreed.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Well, the obvious answer would've been to add a dilithium cost to using the doff breaker, much the same way there's a dilithium cost to use the doff merger. But rather than do the consistent thing, Cryptic prefers to go after everyone everywhere to get at a smaller group of people who use the feature.

I'm starting to think Stahl finally cracked and all decisions over there are being made by a magic eightball named Wilson.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well, the obvious answer would've been to add a dilithium cost to using the doff breaker, much the same way there's a dilithium cost to use the doff merger. But rather than do the consistent thing, Cryptic prefers to go after everyone everywhere to get at a smaller group of people who use the feature.

I'm starting to think Stahl finally cracked and all decisions over there are being made by a magic eightball named Wilson.
    It's a substantial group of people who use the DOFF-breaker - especially now, with the price of DOFFs being what they are on the Exchange. Don't fool yourself into believing there's only 50 people doing this. It's probably more like 50,000+. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    The point is: Not everyone. Don't fool yourself into believing 50,000+ is everyone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    It's a substantial group of people who use the DOFF-breaker - especially now, with the price of DOFFs being what they are on the Exchange. Don't fool yourself into believing there's only 50 people doing this. It's probably more like 50,000+. :)

Whatever the price is today, it's not going to be that a week from Thursday.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    The point is: Not everyone. Don't fool yourself into believing 50,000+ is everyone.
    It doesn't need to be everyone to be a substantially large group of people. That's the point.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    syberghost wrote: »
    Whatever the price is today, it's not going to be that a week from Thursday.
    So very true. Time to put my capitalist hat on. :D
  • Options
    aeonjeanaeonjean Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Like most people we haven't stopped our base, but it is slowing down. When tier 3 supposed requires green doffs instead of white, I wonder how it'll take to actually finish tier v and if it'll require purples or blues.

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx26/revo_2010/Untitled-1-7.jpg
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Am I one of the only players not in a fleet?

I just saw the news of fleet starbases as a way to consume peoples reserves of currency and decided to stay out of a fleet for a little while longer.

I still intend to stay out of it. :cool:

Nope, I have no intentions of joining a fleet either. Although the hang up for me was seeing the $20 price tag on any of the ships I would have actually wanted. Lots of grinding is one thing; especially when that grinding can be/is monetized by the heavy use of dilithium already; but to then ask full C-Store ship price for a single character on top of that? No thanks.
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It doesn't need to be everyone to be a substantially large group of people. That's the point.

Exactly the same point I`ve been saying concerning the KDF players in STO.

On the topic of Bases though... Why give up or stop if its a long term game goal anyways?
    I say keep building as long as one still finds it rewarding and fun.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Exactly the same point I`ve been saying concerning the KDF players in STO.

On the topic of Bases though... Why give up or stop if its a long term game goal anyways?
    I say keep building as long as one still finds it rewarding and fun.

I don't know - everytime I have made efforts to get something changed that effects Fed players - Cryptic is fairly prompt - with both - dev responses and fixing the problem - so they are paying attention to players.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    levi3 wrote: »
    I don't know - everytime I have made efforts to get something changed that effects Fed players - Cryptic is fairly prompt - with both - dev responses and fixing the problem - so they are paying attention to players.
    I think what Roach is saying is basically what I said in another thread yesterday: even though the KDF players might only be 20% of the current fan-base, when united that 20% equates to tens-of-thousands of players: 300,000 players @ 20% still equates to 60,000 players - which is probably more then STO had in total players prior to FTP.

If you can get 60,000 people to work together - and more importantly, have a financial impact on the game - you can get things changed.
  • Options
    thxfortakingmyidthxfortakingmyid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Good for you - I have a solo fleet - but there is so much to do in the game outside of fleets - being a big doffer myself the bulk of my time is spent there - but the fact remains that Cryptic was pumping the Fleet system as the be all and end all of the current game.

Yeah but hey they sure crank out those 25$ Starships with no problem.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Yeah but hey they sure crank out those 25$ Starships with no problem.
    Since the C-Store is where Cryptic gets 99% of its income it would make sense for them to put a constant stream of items for sale there, wouldn't it? :)
  • Options
    thomasthewolf80thomasthewolf80 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well as far as the bases go im a fleet leader of 2 fleets fed and kdf so as you can imagine im a very broke toon lol however our fed base is tier 3 i have noticed a severe drop in online players i belive the grind of the bases are killing some members but only cause they think they r getting no where but you have to think i mean these bases were designed to take i think a minumum of 7 months to get close to t 5 if ever lol butits an ongoing project so no i wont give up however i have noticed alot people quiting over it of coure now im part of the group who can not get there launcher to launch update or anything so i dunno but the bugs are what get me the worst the pwe guys really need to fix bugs then worry about releasing new stuff tho lol
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Well as far as the bases go im a fleet leader of 2 fleets fed and kdf so as you can imagine im a very broke toon lol however our fed base is tier 3 i have noticed a severe drop in online players i belive the grind of the bases are killing some members but only cause they think they r getting no where but you have to think i mean these bases were designed to take i think a minumum of 7 months to get close to t 5 if ever lol butits an ongoing project so no i wont give up however i have noticed alot people quiting over it of coure now im part of the group who can not get there launcher to launch update or anything so i dunno but the bugs are what get me the worst the pwe guys really need to fix bugs then worry about releasing new stuff tho lol

Since the bulk of the ships that people want are at T3 - have you asked these members if there is any point in carrying on?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    however our fed base is tier 3 i have noticed a severe drop in online players i belive the grind of the bases are killing some members but only cause they think they r getting no where
    It's also important to keep in mind that the grade schools, high schools, and universities are back in session now. All online games have a significant drop-off rate this time of year as players tend to play more on weekends rather then during the week. So what you might be seeing is just the seasonal decrease rather then anything related to Fleetbases.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    It's also important to keep in mind that the grade schools, high schools, and universities are back in session now. All online games have a significant drop-off rate this time of year as players tend to play more on weekends rather then during the week. So what you might be seeing is just the seasonal decrease rather then anything related to Fleetbases.

With all due respect - and I do think that you are quite accurate in your comments across the board - have you seen the shear colossal spike in requirements once you pass T3?

Don't you think that this could also have a significant impact?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    With all due respect - and I do think that you are quite accurate in your comments across the board - have you seen the shear colossal spike in requirements once you pass T3?

Don't you think that this could also have a significant impact?
    Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that MMOs traditionally have a big drop-off in activity this time of year. I'm sure there are some people frustrated by the Fleet requirements and have cut back, and that does have an impact; but having less active players to share the burden has an even bigger impact, IMO.

My Fleet's weekly Fleet Events have dropped over 60% in participation since school went back in session - and those events generally have nothing to do with Fleetbases.
  • Options
    thomasthewolf80thomasthewolf80 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ah yes touche yeah i have spoke with many of my members and alot say they r tired of the grind working and working to be broke and get next to nothing i keep telling them to hang in there but really im not worried as far as the base goes like many say it will take care of its self i think the biggest problem my fleet has is they just dont undersatnd all this dont happen over night to be honest
  • Options
    onenonlydrockonenonlydrock Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm not giving up on starbases.

However, I've scaled down my expectations. I'm in a small fleet, and I'm the only consistent contributor. All the other members contribute, but most have taken a break or given up.

I believe that this grind, like the STF grind, is too much.

I know it's supposed to be a collaborative effort between groups of players, but come on... the cost in projects doubles with each tier and with a small group that starbase could take years.

Nothing in an MMO should take months to do, much less over a year or two.

The result of making this task so monumentally large is that it burns out the players.

One would also argue that a bigger fleet, just by virtue of it's bigger player base, should be able to gain access to higher tiers more easily. I say that's true but only to a point. A big fleet's only true reward should be more members... and that's all. Otherwise we have yet another case of have and have nots, where fleets are more powerful due to their size alone. That's not escapism from the inequalities of IRL, but rather a sour and miserable reminder of such.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]