test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are You Giving Up on Starbases??

levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
Or cutting back, scaling back, putting off, lowering your goals - etc etc based on the ever increasing resources required - and of course the whole "working as intended" unannounce change to fleet doffs making them non-contributable to fleet project -BUT- able to take your EC on the exchange?

Cryptic is setting a test here - I believe that they have the idea that you will grumble and gripe when they make a major - "let's TRIBBLE them a little and see if they take it" change - but will continue on with the projects

So that is my question - now that many people are seeing the higher demands of the starbase and the fact that Cryptic is willing to pull the rug out in some areas - are you just going to take it? Are you just going to carry on?

That is what I want to know - is Cryptic right in there little test with the "working as intended" and you will just carry on with the base and exchange as if nothing happened or have you made some desicion - long term goal/commitment changes?

(Presonnally I am not interested in hearing from large rah rah fleet leaders - because it is a given that you want your members to keep building your Castle - I get that)

So again with this last patch Cryptic is testing you - are they right and you will bend?
Post edited by levi3 on

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    No, I'm not giving up. My KDF Fleet (33 members) is getting close to T2. My Fed Fleet (127 members) is about half way to T2. No one's rushing or thumping massive amounts of items into it. We're not in a hurry to get done. We'll simply get done when we get done.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    levi3 wrote: »
    Or cutting back, scaling back, putting off, lowering your goals - etc etc based on the ever increasing resources required - and of course the whole "working as intended" unannounce change to fleet doffs making them non-contributable to fleet project -BUT- able to take your EC on the exchange?

Cryptic is setting a test here - I believe that they have the idea that you will grumble and gripe when they make a major - "let's TRIBBLE them a little and see if they take it" change - but will continue on with the projects

So that is my question - now that many people are seeing the higher demands of the starbase and the fact that Cryptic is willing to pull the rug out in some areas - are you just going to take it? Are you just going to carry on?

That is what I want to know - is Cryptic right in there little test with the "working as intended" and you will just carry on with the base and exchange as if nothing happened or have you made some desicion - long term goal/commitment changes?

(Presonnally I am not interested in hearing from large rah rah fleet leaders - because it is a given that you want your members to keep building your Castle - I get that)

So again with this last patch Cryptic is testing you - are they right and you will bend?

Yup, me and my Solo fleet are going to keep gonig. I haven't even finished Teir 1 so this big old Teir 3 boogie man you're so afraid of isn't something I need to wory about any time soon.
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Am I one of the only players not in a fleet?

I just saw the news of fleet starbases as a way to consume peoples reserves of currency and decided to stay out of a fleet for a little while longer.

I still intend to stay out of it. :cool:
  • levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    No, I'm not giving up. My KDF Fleet (33 members) is getting close to T2. My Fed Fleet (127 members) is about half way to T2. No one's rushing or thumping massive amounts of items into it. We're not in a hurry to get done. We'll simply get done when we get done.

Yes Cosmic but you are a lifer - literally - you will be here until the power goes out for good - and you are much wiser in your laissez-faire approach to starbase construction than most people are - plus you have admited in caps that the doff thing was a "MAJOR" TRIBBLE-up
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    We got a t3 shipyard and everyone got there corsair and gave up.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
    edited August 2012
    Am I one of the only players not in a fleet?

I just saw the news of fleet starbases as a way to consume peoples reserves of currency and decided to stay out of a fleet for a little while longer.

I still intend to stay out of it. :cool:

Good for you - I have a solo fleet - but there is so much to do in the game outside of fleets - being a big doffer myself the bulk of my time is spent there - but the fact remains that Cryptic was pumping the Fleet system as the be all and end all of the current game.
  • tdon7tdon7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm not even bothering to start one. :P
    A half faction is no faction at all.
    edited August 2012
    chalpen wrote: »
    We got a t3 shipyard and everyone got there corsair and gave up.

As I suspect most of the fleets will now give up at T3 - that is my goal - of course being solo it is a huge goal.
    edited August 2012
    Yes Cosmic but you are a lifer - literally - you will be here until the power goes out for good - and you are much wiser in your laissez-faire approach to starbase construction than most people are - plus you have admited in caps that the doff thing was a "MAJOR" TRIBBLE-up
    I have LTSes to many games. I find them cheaper then monthly subs - my STO LTS broke even at 16 months, meaning I've played the last 14 for free - and 9 of those 14 they gave me a Stipend. So, at least for me, I come and go as I please. When I'm bored with STO I go play one of the other MMOs I subscribe to - or any of the other half-dozen FTP games I play. When I'm not bored with STO any more I come back. :)

And what I "admitted" was a MAJOR mistake for DOFFs was the Exchange TRIBBLE-up: the fact that there's no way to differentiate between Fleet and regular DOFFs on the Exchange - meaning many people are not getting their EC's worth from the DOFFs. Beyond that I don't really care about how Fleet DOFFs can't be used for Fleet projects any more. I'm perfectly content to upgrade/downgrade to make them useful - at least it gives me something to use my FC on. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Good for you - I have a solo fleet - but there is so much to do in the game outside of fleets - being a big doffer myself the bulk of my time is spent there - but the fact remains that Cryptic was pumping the Fleet system as the be all and end all of the current game.

No they weren't; they were pumping it up as a cool new thing they added that you can participate in or not participate in, but that many people had been requesting since before launch.

Of course they're going to hype something new upon which they have spent significant development resources, but nobody ever said they were where all future development would go and were replacing endgame. They're just one more thing a lot of people asked for.

If the only reason you have a fleet is to get bank space and an extra title, then they're not for you; that's OK.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
    edited August 2012
    And what I "admitted" was a MAJOR mistake for DOFFs was the Exchange TRIBBLE-up: the fact that there's no way to differentiate between Fleet and regular DOFFs on the Exchange - meaning many people are not getting their EC's worth from the DOFFs. Beyond that I don't really care about how Fleet DOFFs can't be used for Fleet projects any more. I'm perfectly content to upgrade/downgrade to make them useful - at least it gives me something to use my FC on. :)

Yes this is getting to be a MAJOR thing that people are now doing to get around the restriction(for the modest price of 10 dith) - so what will be your reaction if they remove that feature to be "working as intended"?
    edited August 2012
    Yes this is getting to be a MAJOR thing that people are now doing to get around the restriction(for the modest price of 10 dith) - so what will be your reaction if they remove that feature to be "working as intended"?
    If you want to make this a DOFF discussion thread it's just going to get moved or merged. I don't believe the purpose of your thread is to discuss DOFFs; and I've basically said all I want to say about DOFFs. I just don't want to be misquoted by someone - which is what it seemed you were doing above.
    edited August 2012
    syberghost wrote: »
    No they weren't; they were pumping it up as a cool new thing they added that you can participate in or not participate in, but that many people had been requesting since before launch.

Of course they're going to hype something new upon which they have spent significant development resources, but nobody ever said they were where all future development would go and were replacing endgame. They're just one more thing a lot of people asked for.

If the only reason you have a fleet is to get bank space and an extra title, then they're not for you; that's OK.

And what about the almost epidemic(of course I am probably wrong) of people being sucked into fleets and being bullied to produce - then leaving and finding the next thing at the next fleet and the next - is this Ok as well?
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Also a "fleet" of one...

I too also intend to push forward, though at my own pace.

As cosmic has posted before, and I totally agree with, this is a marathon, not the 400m sprint.

That being said, I'm not even close to Tier1 SB, not even halfway to Tier1 anything... :rolleyes:

Don't expect to see Tier 2 till next year, and really don't know if I'm going to 3 or not yet.

Finished the interior design project and focusing on the Science tier for the TW hub.
    edited August 2012
    If you want to make this a DOFF discussion thread it's just going to get moved or merged. I don't believe the purpose of your thread is to discuss DOFFs; and I've basically said all I want to say about DOFFs. I just don't want to be misquoted by someone - which is what it seemed you were doing above.

Fair enough - and the doff thing I believe is just the stick that has broke the camels back so to speak - that's why I bring it up. But there are many other issues - and i encourage people to post those here.
  • ussmongooseussmongoose Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have a very small Fleet, But for now will push along as I am not even to Tier 1. Anyway when I get there I will see what going on. Besides I am having issues using my pea brain to figure out the DOFF system, which I would like too.

Thats my two cents :)
  • tudenomtudenom Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm just going to throttle back a bit.

If I happen to have something to contribute on a project I'll throw it in there, but I'm not going to go out of my way or purchase doffs or anything, maybe I'll go for it if there's a fleet item I want for my ship.

Personally, I think that's the way the system was intended to work and I hope after a year or so things will settle down.
    edited August 2012
    tudenom wrote: »
    I'm just going to throttle back a bit.

If I happen to have something to contribute on a project I'll throw it in there, but I'm not going to go out of my way or purchase doffs or anything, maybe I'll go for it if there's a fleet item I want for my ship.

Personally, I think that's the way the system was intended to work and I hope after a year or so things will settle down.

A good philosophy - I have definitly throttled back from my ultra- stupidly fast pace.
  • quiscustodietquiscustodiet Member Posts: 350
    edited August 2012
    Giving up? No, we're not giving up.
    Slowing down? Very much so. Not being able to buy DOFFs to contribute has really hurt our progress on the projects that require said DOFFs.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    And what about the almost epidemic(of course I am probably wrong) of people being sucked into fleets and being bullied to produce - then leaving and finding the next thing at the next fleet and the next - is this Ok as well?

Prove it's not a couple of isolated incidents.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Going to continue to move forward... we're about half way to T3 shipyard... and while projects are taking a little longer to fill... the fleet seems content continuing to build.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
    edited August 2012
    syberghost wrote: »
    Prove it's not a couple of isolated incidents.

2 problems with that - most of the people will not be on the forums - and most give up - it's just from what I have heard from other players(in game) -hence my bracket - "of course I am probably WRONG"

But I would love to hear from anyone out there who this has happened to or knows people personally that it has happened to - or currently happening.
    edited August 2012
    2 problems with that - most of the people will not be on the forums - and most give up - it's just from what I have heard from other players(in game) -hence my bracket - "of course I am probably WRONG"
    I have played enough games over the years to realize that the only ones who know the facts are the people at Cryptic, who look at the daily data reports. The know how many people are playing daily, how much Zen they bought daily, how much Dilthium they earn daily, how much was contributed to Fleetbases daily, etc.

Claims by forum surfers like us are are basically worthless. For every "I Quit" post made there's a post from someone asking for help on how to download the game or start it the first time. We can only speculate based on our own attitudes at any particular moment: when we're happy we notice and put more emphasis on the happy posts. When we're angry we notice and put more emphasis on the angry posts. But only Cryptic has the true data - and they adjust the game according to that data.
  • caliban149caliban149 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My small fleet seems to have almost stopped. I think the reasons for this are:

- We did the stupid 30 sensors Doff one. We have 4 . . . after about a month and the exchange prices are just silly and shouldn't be encouraged.

- The Dil exchange price has crashed through the floor. . . all of my little fleet are budding economists in game, we tend to spend a lot of time playing the various exchanges for profitsss. The current rate of 150Dil/CP is clearly too much of a temptation (I know it is for me!) and no one is contributing Dil. any more. ALL mine is poured into CP.
  • wilsoncutter001wilsoncutter001 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't know about being bullied....

I am on my third fleet. I contributed heavily in the first then got ticked off when the leader disappeared leaving the Project que empty, and not answering mail.

I joined the second and again heavily invested however the leaders and I diverged on which way we should go in terms of project management. They chose to invest heavily in Provisioning early on with plans on getting all categories to 30. This of course is a very "specific resource" intensive way of doing things which dramatically slows project completion down (DOFF ISSUE!!). I left when they started scheduling 200,000 DIL projects en mass as a means of continuing the provisioning plans. To each their own, and this is not mine, so I left.

I spent some time speaking with a number of different Fleet leaders and found one with similar ideas to myself in terms of base development. We are focusing on projects with more general requirements, while planning ahead for those which have very specific needs (purple doffs, sensor doffs, etc.). The idea being we will not schedule the later until we know we have as a fleet most of the requirements on hand. I hate seeing projects tying up very limited QUE space, while others that can earn the base valuable experience (AND FC's) sit un-started due to lack of that que space.

That was the long answer.

The short answer is: NO, but I have altered my approach drastically though not entirely because of the **** issue.
    edited August 2012
    I have played enough games over the years to realize that the only ones who know the facts are the people at Cryptic, who look at the daily data reports. The know how many people are playing daily, how much Zen they bought daily, how much Dilthium they earn daily, how much was contributed to Fleetbases daily, etc.

Claims by forum surfers like us are are basically worthless. For every "I Quit" post made there's a post from someone asking for help on how to download the game or start it the first time. We can only speculate based on our own attitudes at any particular moment: when we're happy we notice and put more emphasis on the happy posts. When we're angry we notice and put more emphasis on the angry posts. But only Cryptic has the true data - and they adjust the game according to that data.

Quite true - and as anyone who follows my posts - for the most part I am a strong supporter of Crptic and their need to make money - I have stated this many times in many threads - the game needs money to keep going - and that's what I WANT - the game I love to keep going.

What I don't want is Cryptic to push the playerbase in a way that I feel(and it seems MANY MANY others as well!!) will hurt the games long -term success - but as you so accurately pointed out - this is just from my limited prosective - i have very limited data to which to go by.
    edited August 2012
    What I don't want is Cryptic to push the playerbase in a way that I feel(and it seems MANY MANY others as well!!) will hurt the games long -term success - but as you so accurately pointed out - this is just from my limited prosective - i have very limited data to which to go by.
    I believe in time, if Cryptic were to find that Fleetbases were stalling-out around T3 they will either adjust requirements to get to T4/5 or provide bigger incentives for people to want to get to T4 and beyond. But the system is only 1.5 months old and most of the Fleets are probably like mine: at T1 working toward T2. Cryptic's going to need a few more months of actual data before they make big changes.
    edited August 2012
    I believe in time, if Cryptic were to find that Fleetbases were stalling-out around T3 they will either adjust requirements to get to T4/5 or provide bigger incentives for people to want to get to T4 and beyond. But the system is only 1.5 months old and most of the Fleets are probably like mine: at T1 working toward T2. Cryptic's going to need a few more months of actual data before they make big changes.

That's where I differ from this type of philosophy used also by city planners - many people see a bad strech of road and "know" someone is going to get run over - and cry for a streetlight to be put in - but in the end the city only puts in the light after a child has been run over and killed

This type of thing is not something I want to see happen to STO - that is all.
    edited August 2012
    That's where I differ from this type of philosophy used also by city planners - many people see a bad strech of road and "know" someone is going to get run over - and cry for a streetlight to be put in - but in the end the city only puts in the light after a child has been run over and killed

This type of thing is not something I want to see happen to STO - that is all.
    But there's not enough data for Cryptic to make an informed decision. If 1% of the Fleets are coming into T3 do you really want the power-gamers in those Fleets making all the decisions for the other 99% of the players? Cryptic needs to acquire enough data from all the player-types to make an informed adjustment. It's going to take a few months for that to happen.
  • latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    There are ways to minimize the doff impact simply by choosing the right projects to do. We surveyed our members and asked what things they were or were not interested in, and adjusted it based on that. For example, not many our members seemed interested in the military operational assets. So those projects took a low priority, and as a result, we NEVER had a need for sensor doffs. And when other doffs got scarce, we would choose projects that required either fewer doffs, or that required just the generic ones. Sure, it meant a little slower leveling as those projects typically only give 500 XP. But as a result, we have never been stalled on a project, and we are now very well provisioned.