What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The True Cost of a Starbase Is Staggering Billions of EC

1235»

Comments

• levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The error here is thinking that only Star Trek fans are playing this game. The truth is the majority of players are MMOers. They might have some Trek experience - it's virtually impossible to not have some interaction with Star Trek somewhere - but they're gamers first. They want gaming tropes first and foremost. Of course the forum consists of more Trekkies, but the forum is really a small percentage of the fanbase.

Think about it this way: if there are 300,000 people playing the game, and you get 1,000 of them to agree with you about something on the forum, you've managed to get 1/3 of 1% of the fan-base to agree with you - and how many threads get 1,000 different posters, let alone 1,000 to agree with you?

True oh cosmic 1 - the forum is a very limited way to get an idea as to what will fly(no pun intended) or not in the game - but it is the only resource I have, plus my own intuision, with which to go by.
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    levi3 wrote: »
    True oh cosmic 1 - the forum is a very limited way to get an idea as to what will fly(no pun intended) or not in the game - but it is the only resource I have, plus my own intuision, with which to go by.

The more you agree with cosmic1, the more I want to hear about his next latest and greatest idea instead.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The more you agree with cosmic1, the more I want to hear about his next latest and greatest idea instead.

no no the "multi-box" is the thing - and you get to pick you prizes in the top tier - that's just a teaser
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    levi3 wrote: »
    no no the "multi-box" is the thing - and you get to pick you prizes in the top tier - that's just a teaser

we pick cosmic1.

we.
    want.
    cosmic one.

we

want

cosmic one.

we.
    want.
    cosmic one.

cash in your lockbox for cosmic1. cosmic1. cosmic1!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • robingbrownrobingbrown Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The error here is thinking that only Star Trek fans are playing this game. The truth is the majority of players are MMOers. They might have some Trek experience - it's virtually impossible to not have some interaction with Star Trek somewhere - but they're gamers first. They want gaming tropes first and foremost. Of course the forum consists of more Trekkies, but the forum is really a small percentage of the fanbase.

Think about it this way: if there are 300,000 people playing the game, and you get 1,000 of them to agree with you about something on the forum, you've managed to get 1/3 of 1% of the fan-base to agree with you - and how many threads get 1,000 different posters, let alone 1,000 to agree with you?

I think you're making a couple of poor assumptions here.

Firstly I don't think that the majority of players are MMOers first and foremeost and, by implication, don't care about the Star Trek theme. The game is lacking in many MMO areas and you'd have to be pretty dumb to play it for the pure MMO aspects and not for the theme. Not that there are some people like that but I think that most people would say that the majority of people play because of the Star Trek theme.

Secondly, by dismissing the forum goers opinions you're playing into the hands of the developers who want to ignore the forums, and, as far as PWE are concerned, have succesfully minimised them in all ways.

If you know anything about statistics you should know that sampling a small proportion of the playerbase is very useful in giving a picture of what the majority wants. Obviously you need to account for bias in forum posters but dismissing them out of hand like you did is doing a grave disservice to the people who are trying to influence the developers into improving the game.

Lastly if we follow your logic that forum goers are totally unrepresentative of the population we run into the secondary problem that you, as a single individual, are an even tinier percentage of the playerbase, thus completely unrepresentative, and your opinions and comments can be equally ignored. In effect you're arguing that you should not be listened to.
    I used to have an Orion slave girl, then PWE 'perfected' her, now all I have is this lousy signature
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Firstly I don't think that the majority of players are MMOers first and foremeost and, by implication, don't care about the Star Trek theme. The game is lacking in many MMO areas and you'd have to be pretty dumb to play it for the pure MMO aspects and not for the theme. Not that there are some people like that but I think that most people would say that the majority of people play because of the Star Trek theme.
    On that we're just going to disagree. But that's the thing about opinions: they're just opinions. :)
    Secondly, by dismissing the forum goers opinions you're playing into the hands of the developers who want to ignore the forums, and, as far as PWE are concerned, have succesfully minimised them in all ways.
    It's not about dismissing. It's about understanding that 100 people having 5 different opinions does not a consensus make in regard to the entire fan-base.
    If you know anything about statistics you should know that sampling a small proportion of the playerbase is very useful in giving a picture of what the majority wants. Obviously you need to account for bias in forum posters but dismissing them out of hand like you did is doing a grave disservice to the people who are trying to influence the developers into improving the game.
    The forum is not about sampling polls. The people who come here are not representative of the community as a whole. The people who come here do so for specific reasons: need info, angry, looking to connect with others with a same common interest, etc. There's a reason why all gaming forums tend to have more "hate" posts then "love" posts: because people tend to be far more likely to express anger then to express joy.
    Lastly if we follow your logic that forum goers are totally unrepresentative of the population we run into the secondary problem that you, as a single individual, are an even tinier percentage of the playerbase, thus completely unrepresentative, and your opinions and comments can be equally ignored. In effect you're arguing that you should not be listened to.
    No. What I'm saying is that you represent your own opinion. You do not speak for 100,000 others - who all have their own opinions, and just don't care enough about your particular issue to get all raged over it. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.