Install Arc

DOFFs + Fleet Projects = Hard Times

2»

Comments

• l0cutus359l0cutus359 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    dareau wrote: »
    I gotta do some double-checking...

I've got the Tactical DOff mission going, and the 3 purples it takes can all be gotten from support various coloniel efforts...

IIRC, Khazan, Aefhir, and Rolor are the three nebulas I can hit up for the purples I need...

Might be the same with the engineering set, too. I'd double-check support DOffs against the requirements...

Another dumb question.... these are the doff missions in the various Nebula sectors, right?

or I am missing it?

Thanks for your help!
    Locutus

Delirium Tremens
    Tier 4 Starbase, Tier 3 Embassy
    http://dtfleet.com/
  • xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I am kinda Burning my self out a little.

I am starting my Fleet level 2.

I busted my Butt for 5 weeks and Completed Fleet level 1 in that time frame.

I am building my Very own starbase.Be cause of the limitations.

Right now The thing that kills me the most is the Fleet marks.Every thing eles is easy compared to the Fleet marks.Unless you have like 200 people but like i said i am only one person doing this with out any help.

And i just started on my Fleet level 2 too day.

I am Upgrading my Transwarp gate and next will be the Upgrade starbase man that one cost over 1,000 FM.

I can aford every thing eles but it is the Fleet marks that are killing me i have to use 4 VA's to to run threw the Colony invasions be cause you get 20 to 31 Fleet marks.

This Fleet Mark Event Really helped me alot with 18 toons wink witch i do have 18 of them.
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • jim940jim940 Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    genhauk wrote: »
    Anyone else finding that the DOFF requirements for fleet projects is killing small to mid-sized fleets?

Only things asking for Doff's are ship provisions to go from Tier 1 to Tier 2.

My take is to do this slowly, stacking up provisions of all types instead of doing the 1000 EXP projects at the moment. We will need the provisions eventually, and they are cheap now.

While we are not progressing as fast as others, for the size of the fleet and the make up of the players I think we are doing all right. I tend to recruit lower levels, and I'm finding as they get up in levels, they start donating more to the fleet.

Which is a good thing, a strong charactor is required over all over a strong fleet, and I tell them that. In addition to this, till you get to the level requirements for fleet provisioned items, you really don't need them or to donate for them, and yet I still see plenty of donations from those who could not use them because they want to help out when they can.

Jim
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    It's supposed to take a lot of time. You have to be patient, you're not expected to get a T5 starbase before 1 or 2 years.
    The problem is that many fleets and/or players have difficulty sustaining interest, activity and motivation over timespans like this. It might as well be "forever" (or "never") to such players. When progress is slow and rewards are vague and distant, many will give up entirely. Others will find themselves tempted/forced to leave their established groups for others which already have, or promise to, complete the process much faster.
  • liquidacid29liquidacid29 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    hfmudd wrote: »
    The problem is that many fleets and/or players have difficulty sustaining interest, activity and motivation over timespans like this. It might as well be "forever" (or "never") to such players. When progress is slow and rewards are vague and distant, many will give up entirely. Others will find themselves tempted/forced to leave their established groups for others which already have, or promise to, complete the process much faster.

ya it's rather ludicrous for a game to say "Ya this base will take your entire fleet a year or two to build" in a game with less than 48 hours worth of content

a lot of gamers have the attention span on a gnat and will have moved on and forgotten this game even exists before that projected time table is 1/2 done
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My issue has been the DOff submission screen hangs and never goes through.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • mexxxmemexxxme Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ya it's rather ludicrous for a game to say "Ya this base will take your entire fleet a year or two to build" in a game with less than 48 hours worth of content

a lot of gamers have the attention span on a gnat and will have moved on and forgotten this game even exists before that projected time table is 1/2 done

This, I think, is the big problem - so much of this game is tailored for "instant gratification" that you can't throw in a huge timetable item like this - without some OTHER long-term content to keep the people sated in the meantime.

Aside from that - the DOFF requirements are more than a little ridiculous. 60 of any
    specific DOFF type is short-sighted design at best.

The exploded market is one symptom.
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    lostmoony wrote: »
    yes but not doff projekts will kill it and i think its great 1000x 3 man fleetson the server what will never reach lvl 5.:D

check real cost of starbase threat you get alot other info why small fleet will die soon.

so join a big fleet if you will ever see a tier 5 starbase;)

NEVER, i play this game with my friends.
    We now just play much less STO and play MW3.

Starbase is a new grind that is costing us milions of EC and tons of Delitium.
    They don't know what a micro-transactions is.

Warning: Not a native English-speaker, sorry if my English sucks.
  • carmenaracarmenara Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm fine with the 60 doffs or 210k dil projects. As hinted above a timetable for progress can really help. They're not meant to be instant builds but convey a real sense of scale to starbase construction.

Not exactly Starcraft style building out of thin air.

The only issue of course is the 'specific doff required' ones which are responsible for the usual complaints we see on here. Sensors officers, etc are not affordable to the casual player or even fleets comprised of casual players who don't have a personal reserve of 50 million or more to blitz those inflated prices.

Admittedly my ferengi self enjoyed making money off the hugely inflated common doff prices though :P
    STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I find the super specific DOFF requirements that also require large amounts of them to be a problem and often not worth it.

As for getting the Purple DOFFs... Eh... That is a big part of why I do not bother with some fleet projects. I do not have many Purples as most do not. I also do not have time to sit on the personnel officer very often nor would that be enjoyable.

The saddest part of all this for me is that I rather like the Fleet Mark MISSIONS (Especially Starbase Defense) but eventually you can get to the point where you have plenty of marks but nothing to spend them on.
  • xloilxloil Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm doing the Base mostly on my own (friends are all fed, dont like the ships there so i made a new toon), its not bothering me that i probably wont finish it ever (bc i know that i'll never have the patience to grind all those Fleet Marks). Tier II is my goal and after that the interest in STO will probably again be reduced to Trading and Doffs. But that's allright, i didnt expect anything else, as it is the same with all other MMO's: If its not a huge grind, big Fleets with a lot of Hardcore-Players would finish it within a week otherwise.

I have saved a lot of stuff before Season 6 (more or less right after the Starbase was announced) and i can afford alot with my EC stash i've made through trading. The only problem i have are the Doffs, and this is quite severe. I have 3 Klingon toons (upgraded to 4 chars) running all recruiting assignments, so my mailbox is full of them. that worked well until i eventually run out of security doffs, then tacticals and now medical (i have some knowledge what i need later from my fed friends so i'm saving particular ones like sensor or doctor). i then figured out that i can exchange greens for 3 white's, and thats what i did/do to get those i dont have anymore. and now we finally come to the problem:
    The chances are ridiculous! You get smth like 100 science to 1 security, for no reason whatsoever.

I do know that after i've built my T1 stuff the next steps are costing me 30 security doffs. Dilithium is no option to me bc the upgrades demand a lot of it. i could buy them at the inflated price atm, but that would be plain stupid. i dont waste my cash bc the devs made a horrible design choice. Yes i can stomp all those civilians and science ones into greens again, then into whites again, green white, and so on. but cmon, is that really necessary? its not like its fun, you constantly have to run to the mailbox and clean up the roster, then back and again and again and again.

whats the point in making some doffs really rare except harrassing the players?
  • carmenaracarmenara Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't think you will ever run into the 30 security officer nightmare on the road to Tier II.

I note those "60 doff" projects are those that give 1K XP to the respective fields. Do the 500 XP ones instead and your progress should be smooth and steady. IIRC they only need 12 or so doffs of the right department, and no specific type.

Stuff like transwarp gate I safely skip because it has limited utility (Rank 3 Diplomacy = warp to Neutral Zone), shipyard, not crucial to me as for $20 USD I'd rather get a proper C-store warship; so I only build the Industrial Fabricator for fleet gear access.
    STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel