test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 6 Dev Blog #20

Comments

• dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Cryptic is proud of customization options which players have with their characters, even Mr. Sthal spoke about it in Ask Cryptic or State of Game. Space stations were have to be same, unique for every Fleet, right now I'm all most sure that all stations look exactly the same.

Instead those so called spacial projects which mostly are joke (especially this one) you should give Fleet leaders or any other person with correct fleet permission to use foundry and design which elements should be put in actual interior. Depending on which elements were used in project game system will calculate cost for Fleet project.

For example I'd like to put three ship models on wall in Ops and a chair under them. Each model have base cost: 2500 GPL, 50 dilithium and 2 Self sealing steambolts and chair require 50 Provisions. So Fleet must pay 7500 GPL, 150 dilithium, 6 Self sealing steambolts and 50 Provisions to activated new project for furniture.

This will make each Starbase unique, not that "special projects" same for every Fleet.
  • shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    Plus they're great to plug small hullbreaches with.

I'll admit I laughed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • jafobss1701jafobss1701 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Is this some sort of Chinese April fools??
  • midnighter90midnighter90 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Is this some sort of Chinese April fools??

I really hope it is. Tribbles... srsly?? For 200k Dilithium? Even the pillars, plants and consoles were pretty useless but... TRIBBLES??..... This is the biggest waste of fleet resources ever!
  • rbatalla1977rbatalla1977 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I really not too mad about this project and I do not understand the rage of some players. I think all the special projects are really optional. Is up to the members of the fleet if they want to get it or not. You might think the price is too high, but I guess it all depends on the size of the fleet. People should not get mad about the price, if you do not like it, don't buy it. We definite do not need it. It's like the $1,000 hdmi cable; I don't see people complaining about it, they just get a cheaper one. What I'm trying to say, instead of complaining about all the prices of items in the game, just do not get them. If they do not sell, Cryptic will have no choice other than lower prices. Believe me they want money, and $1.00 is greater than zero dollars. But when we just complain and still get those expensive items, they will just do not care and keep those prices at the current level.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    dkratasco wrote: »
    Cryptic is proud of customization options which players have with their characters, even Mr. Sthal spoke about it in Ask Cryptic or State of Game. Space stations were have to be same, unique for every Fleet, right now I'm all most sure that all stations look exactly the same.

Instead those so called spacial projects which mostly are joke (especially this one) you should give Fleet leaders or any other person with correct fleet permission to use foundry and design which elements should be put in actual interior. Depending on which elements were used in project game system will calculate cost for Fleet project.

For example I'd like to put three ship models on wall in Ops and a chair under them. Each model have base cost: 2500 GPL, 50 dilithium and 2 Self sealing steambolts and chair require 50 Provisions. So Fleet must pay 7500 GPL, 150 dilithium, 6 Self sealing steambolts and 50 Provisions to activated new project for furniture.

This will make each Starbase unique, not that "special projects" same for every Fleet.

To be honest, it seems their love for customization has become more of a love for "customization we can charge you for." I'm all for the company making money, but the amount of double-dipping going on is starting to irritate me.

My fleet will not be doing this project; it's a waste of dilithium better spent on developing the starbase itself.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Why in the world would the Federation *want* Tribbles on its starbases? That is a blatant contradiction of canon. Also, what is the ETA on the foundry editor coming back up?

It also goes against the message that blasts across ALL fed starbases "Tribbles are an environmental hazard."

200k for this is insulting. I'd rather pay to have a vendor that will sell me a NORMAL pet for my ship. Like Porthos or Spot.

dkratasco wrote: »

THIS! A thousand times THIS!

My co-founders would enjoy this too. We'd set up in the "Office" (That clear wall room on the second level to the right of the officer of the watch's area).
  • wogbawogba Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I reckon some of the devs have been drinking to much VADDDDDDDDKAAAAAAAA.
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    200K??? Lol no Cryotic! We are at T2 now, is not about if we have or not the 200k, it is about that this is a SCAM.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • zensutrazensutra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm going to add to the chorus of disappointment.

It's not about being ungrateful for anything you guys work on; that's not the point. We know you work hard...I have friends who are developers, and their schedules can be ridiculous at times.

The problem is in perceived value for us as players and customers. It seems that with each little bit of content release, there is an ever-decreasing value for us, and the resource/money sink part of it more blatant. From windows -> a dozen plants -> armfuls of tribbles... and that's not even getting into the EV suits or Fleet ships. I'm hoping Cryptic sees the regression. I'm in a very small casual Fleet, and I'm the most active person. For some Fleets, this Special Project is an afternoon of decision-making...for mine, it's a two week undertaking.

I understand how tough it can be for a content producer to request art or programming time, especially on a small team, but don't set a schedule of two weeks of turnaround if you can't do anything more substantial than tribbles. I could easily wait another week or two if it meant more decorations for the bar area, or an ops command center that looked like someone worked there.

Heck, if you guys decided to make it more customizable like the hideouts in Champions Online, I'd even put Zen towards that.
    syberghost wrote: »
    The choice seems easy to me; this is something almost anybody on the staff, from Jack all the way to the girl who answers the phone and signs for Fedex packages, could do in their lunch hour. Why should we have nothing new instead? If you don't like it, don't select it as your next fleet special project, and put that dil into another round of military XP or something.

I'm going to disagree on the lunch hour bit. In CoH, it would take me all of two minutes to put plants, two columns, and a smattering of display cases/screens up...and most of that time would be spent looking for them in the menus.

zen (why you make me hate my name, PW? *sigh*)
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    200k of dilithium to get your bases infested with nothing more than furry roaches? Nah, not happening.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    to the person in charge of deciding what the fleet starbase featured projects should be:

ask yourself: "is this worth 200,000 dilithium?"
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The over-reusage of existing art assets doesn't justify the cost and isn't really adding anything of functional value, nor of anything of aesthetic value...not for 200k dil. No.

That said, if it was a human-sized tribble walking around, that could be worth it.
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    zensutra wrote: »
    It's not about being ungrateful for anything you guys work on; that's not the point. We know you work hard...I have friends who are developers, and their schedules can be ridiculous at times.

The problem is in perceived value for us as players and customers. It seems that with each little bit of content release, there is an ever-decreasing value for us, and the resource/money sink part of it more blatant. From windows -> a dozen plants -> armfuls of tribbles... and that's not even getting into the EV suits or Fleet ships. I'm hoping Cryptic sees the regression.

Quoted for truth.
  • thoroonthoroon Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Looking forward to the next special project:
    "Toiletpaper" - Limited Time, get yourself some toiletpaper for your Starbase!
    (of course you need to buy a toilet via ZEN before, which is consumed on use)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • benitolaforgebenitolaforge Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Wait...this is 200,000?

they are going crazy on the prices man
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    What I'd really like for these Time Limited Projects would be a short promotional video that actually showed us what we'll get out of teh project instead of a single fuzzy picture.

Also, would it be ok if we started a survey thread where people can make suggestions what we'd like on our base?
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    timelord79 wrote: »
    What I'd really like for these Time Limited Projects would be a short promotional video that actually showed us what we'll get out of teh project instead of a single fuzzy picture.

Also, would it be ok if we started a survey thread where people can make suggestions what we'd like on our base?

If they did that with the second one, it would have saved the fleet 200k. It seems they are going downhill with each one. Next we'll see them charge 200k for some Del Taco cups to appear on various desks. You might even see a replica of the cups that gave the shuttle at launch.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • blackmail67blackmail67 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    this is about as interestng as lock boxes. as a lifetime subscriber i am seriously disappointed in the added content in the game. please make stuff we care about not the stuff your developing now.
  • sonoframonsonoframon Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    WELL IF THE JAPORI INCIDENT HAS TAUGHT ME ANYTHING, IT'S THAT MY EXISTENCE IS AN EXPLOIT. THANKS CRYPTIC.

IF YOU ARE READING MY SIG - THEN YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG
  • januhulljanuhull Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~BranFlakes
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Okay, I'm amused. There are a few piles of tribbles all over the place and they made them kickable like the cups in the replomat on DS9.

They bounce a good distance too. They only need to make one with spots similar to a soccer ball.
  • switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    januhull wrote: »
    I'm having to fight with my fleet's leadership to put the damned thing up. I don't give a flog if it's "functional" or "cosmetic". Its' the opportunity for 200k Fleet Credit, as far as I'm concerned.

Wow, you would do assignments that give nothing at all just to convert your Dilithium into worthless Fleet Credits wouldn't you.... Maybe your Fleet Leadership wants things that help the fleet...
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    They have 4 piles of 10 tribbles that randomly generate around the main room. The only problem was they reset now and then. I was kicking the last two into the giant pile and then they reset and re-spawned into 4 groups. I was hoping to fraps my captain rolling into a giant tribble pile.
  • mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    januhull wrote: »
    I'm having to fight with my fleet's leadership to put the damned thing up. I don't give a flog if it's "functional" or "cosmetic". Its' the opportunity for 200k Fleet Credit, as far as I'm concerned.

This is true. For that reason alone, I think the project is much better than the other special projects, that just eat up contributions and give nothing functional or cosmetic back.

On the other hand, I haven't really figured out anything useful to buy with my fleet credits yet. So I'm not inclined to spend my own dilithium on a bunch of tribbles.
  • blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is sort of off topic, but you know what would be really nice. If you could put a dabo table in your starbase, and the fleet members got a cut of the profits (IE the house's winnings)
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• mkilczewskimkilczewski Member Posts: 284
    edited August 2012
    Lead Content Designer Scott "Goatshark" Shicoff shares details about the third Starbase Featured Project in this entry of the Season 6 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

For f**k's sake, you guys are killin' me. Isn't there anybody over there that cares about this game? I feel like I'm on crazy pills!
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    For f**k's sake, you guys are killin' me. Isn't there anybody over there that cares about this game? I feel like I'm on crazy pills!
    Special Fleet Projects are all fluff and aesthetics. They're not required. They're just fun things some people might enjoy having in their base; in much the same way plants were 2 weeks ago. This type of project is for the gamers who like to buy all the Uniforms, or Tribbles, Pets, or whatnot in the game just for the fun of it. If that's not you, no big deal. The game wasn't made just for you. Other people have wants and needs too.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    mewi wrote: »
    No one is against fluff items, everyone is against EXPENSIVE fluff items.

No one is going to pay 200,000 USD for a Smiley Face decal unless it is the size of the moon.

No one? You sure about that? Because it took my fleet all of 2 seconds to agree we were going to do this one. There hasn't been a single dissenting vote so far.

200k dil is nothing; if your fleet can't raise that in a day, you need to be in the Recruiting forum.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    syberghost wrote: »
    200k dil is nothing; if your fleet can't raise that in a day, you need to be in the Recruiting forum.

Or you like small fleets where you are friends and not lost in the numbers...