What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 6 Dev Blog #20

Comments

• Options
    johnynormusjohnynormus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    targs that wonder around the star base.... pretty cool. A few tribbles next to some dude... Unimaginative, lazy and lame
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    for 200k dil i expect at least a set of 10 new usable Tribbles in the breeding game and finally the release of the TARG breeding game we have been teased with again and again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    genericiigenericii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Everything - and I do mean everything - Cryptic/PW has done in 2012 has been a cheap, low quality, low effort money grab and this is no different. Drain the dilithium from the economy, force small fleets to buy dilithium to keep up with the bigger ones.

The only shock I experience from each Cryptic/PW cheap cash grab is that there are still players who ARE shocked by this.
  • Options
    thesiliconhawkthesiliconhawk Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would not mind this, I am even going to get it, but I would prefer to have the option of having either the tribbles/targs only on a specific deck or in specific rooms. I would rather not have tribbles in the main operations area or in any other area I would deam them a nuisance.

As for the Targs, I'm sure the same goes for the klingon bases. I would just really like the option of saying what decorations can be placed where.
  • Options
    corgatagcorgatag Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    To all the people complaining about the Dilithium cost: I think it's actually a good thing for the game.

Prior to this Dilithium sink, every time a new C-store item was introduced, the Dilithium Exchange would shift in favor of C-points by about 25% in the short term and 10% in the long term.

Dilithium was becoming more and more worthless every month. For most players, the daily question of "What do I do with this 8000 Dilithium I just refined?" wasn't an interesting question. You would always put it on the exchange.

Now, the trade off is far more interesting: Do I help my fleet develop our starbase, or do I trade it for Zen?

Better yet, the Dilithium exchange has become far more stable. When the Tholian lockboxes were introduced, the exchange rate barely budged. Hopefully, the same will be true when the Sovereign refit becomes available.

In any case, now that there's a sink in the game, Cryptic has more tools to stabilize the Dilithium exchange.

Is Dilithium becoming too cheap? Release more special projects or increase the dilithium cost.

Is Dilithium becoming too expensive? Slow down on the special projects, decrease the dilithium cost, or release more Z-store items.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    genericii wrote: »

Everything - and I do mean everything - Cryptic/PW has done in 2012 has been a cheap, low quality, low effort money grab and this is no different. Drain the dilithium from the economy, force small fleets to buy dilithium to keep up with the bigger ones.

The only shock I experience from each Cryptic/PW cheap cash grab is that there are still players who ARE shocked by this.

You are a bit slanderous. There are good and bad things on season 6. The fleet ships are the worst part of it, almost zero amount of work and a pure pay to win option. There are also good elements in it: the tholians, Nukara prime, half of the new fleet actions. At least they will remain enjoyable until the crybabies said it's too hard. :D

The tholians, though, are the best part of S6.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    markfalconemarkfalcone Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Epic fail.
  • Options
    wilsoncutter001wilsoncutter001 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Lead Content Designer Scott "Goatshark" Shicoff shares details about the third Starbase Featured Project in this entry of the Season 6 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

Would it be possible to get full details of these special projects in advance of said project going live? Costs, benefits (if any) etc. etc.

I think a lot of fleets would like to have an oportunity to discuss weather they wish to run a project such as this one or focus on building instead. Sure, we could have those discusions after the project goes live but we need to be mindfull that the projects can only be started within a specific timeframe, and are soft deadlined by the potential of the next special project that follows.

( a poorly written post this is :(, but I think you get the idea)
  • Options
    rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    genhauk wrote: »
    My fleet is thinking we might well skip this one.

Thank you! :)
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• Options
    djconcentusdjconcentus Member Posts: 177 Media Corps
    edited August 2012
    thorodal wrote: »
    You KNOW that Yumene will donate all the 200k dill herself if she has to :P

Sounds good to me, I'm not putting dilithium into an planned infestation of ecological hazards. Now, if we were talking a big pile of Tribble of Borgs...that would be another matter.
    The opinions expressed in my posts are not necessarily those of my employer or Subspace Radio.
    Host of the Borg Boombox, 0300 GMT on Fridays on Subspace Radio
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    corgatag wrote: »
    Prior to this Dilithium sink, every time a new C-store item was introduced, the Dilithium Exchange would shift in favor of C-points by about 25% in the short term and 10% in the long term.
    In order for you to quickly buy zen points, you have to use physical currency. When you go to exchange zen points for dilithium, the exchange value should be incredibility higher. Perfect World/Cryptic is in the business of making money, correct? If everyone bought zen points with dilithium, without anyone buying them with physical money, where is the physical revenue coming from?

What I would suggest:
    (1) Allow zen points buyers to exchange 100 zen points for 1,000,000 dilithium.
    (2) Remove the ability to buy zen points with dilithium; thus, force everyone to use physical money to buy points. If you do not do it this way, you lose more physical revenue in the long run. As a result of more people investing physical cash, the price of c-store items will begin to fall.
    (3) Reward Free to Play zen points buyers (and subscribers) for their patronage.

Encourage people to buy zen points (Free to Play & Subscribers) with cash by given them exclusive perks.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Can we get a 200,000 Dilithium project that rewards 100 Fleet Marks?
  • Options
    rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    At least we now know why there are cannibal tribbles in the game :rolleyes:

And I just dumped one that I got :eek:
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I got all excited about the new blog...and then I realized it's about some dilithium sucking nonsense instead of being about the Regent classes stats... :(:rolleyes::D
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My two Fleets are definitely opting out of this one. Because the last two seemed very lackluster given the 200k Dilithum cost.

The First one - Blast Shutters. No function to open or close them.

The Second - Decorations. Two pillars that do nothing and a couple of house plants.

Now Tribbles and Targs, where Targs are added to the existing wandering npcs.

Really, I just wish they just cut these offers and just let us decorate the base how we want them. Not how Perfect World wants them.
  • Options
    commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Wow really, 200k Dilithium for this!! That means 200,000/202 = 990 zen or $9.90.

Someone has really lost touch with reality if this is really the case. Now the Targs on the Klink side might be nice, but a few piles of tribbles scattered about is not worth $9.90. This would be worth it for 50k dilithium.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    linyive wrote: »
    In order for you to quickly buy zen points, you have to use physical currency. When you go to exchange zen points for dilithium, the exchange value should be incredibility higher. Perfect World/Cryptic is in the business of making money, correct? If everyone bought zen points with dilithium, without anyone buying them with physical money, where is the physical revenue coming from?

What I would suggest:
    (1) Allow zen points buyers to exchange 100 zen points for 1,000,000 dilithium.
    (2) Remove the ability to buy zen points with dilithium; thus, force everyone to use physical money to buy points. If you do not do it this way, you lose more physical revenue in the long run. As a result of more people investing physical cash, the price of c-store items will begin to fall.
    (3) Reward Free to Play zen points buyers (and subscribers) for their patronage.

Encourage people to buy zen points (Free to Play & Subscribers) with cash by given them exclusive perks.

Actually the exchange as it is is the best way to increase the revenue. It allows F2P to keep playing since they are able to have some sort of goal in game (and they might pay a small amount of money to achieve it by the way), and in return, they give people who don't want to farm what they want for real money. 1 Zen for 200 dil is a good way to increase the revenue, by the way, the lower the exchange rate goes, the more zen you'll need to buy what you want. Cryptic is just controling the exchange so that it remains interesting to buy zen for dil at the moment. That's why it's stucked at 1/202. :)

This is why most of the stuff you can buy from the c-stoire is now tradeable for ECs in game. Same mechanics, it increases the revenue. And that's good for everyone, those who play the game smartly can still play it without spending as much money as those who just buy everything, and everyone is happy with that.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Wow really, 200k Dilithium for this!! That means 200,000/202 = 990 zen or $9.90.

Someone has really lost touch with reality if this is really the case. Now the Targs on the Klink side might be nice, but a few piles of tribbles scattered about is not worth $9.90. This would be worth it for 50k dilithium.
    They have not stated how much it will cost; plus it's a Fleet feature meaning it should be payed for by the entire Fleet. 200,000 Dilithium divided by 10 members is only 20,000 each. $0.99 cents per member, assuming they want to pay for it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    suaveks wrote: »
    I mean, a bunch of Targs and an NPC with tribbles next to him. Both useless. As someone said, those tribbles should be made of latinum for such price.

Except that Latinum (particularly of the Gold-Pressed variety) is all but worthless in STO...
    Would it be possible to get full details of these special projects in advance of said project going live? Costs, benefits (if any) etc. etc.

Yes, please! Based on what I see here I don't want it, unless it is like 5000 Dil (or less). A tiny pile of tribbles and an NPC are not worth much, and it obviously didn't require much in the way of design time as targs are in the game already, as are tribbles, and as for the NPC, what is that, like 20 minutes in the character creator max?
    Now, if we were talking a big pile of Tribble of Borgs...that would be another matter.

Or maybe Exocomps and Sehlat Cubs
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You guys are kidding, right?

See all these dollar bills that could have become Zen and dilithium?

(waves it in PWE's face before putting it back in my wallet)

You ain't getting any.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Lead Content Designer indeed. Targs were already a part of some KDF bridge designs, Copy and Paste, Tribbles were already part of the game, Copy and Paste, This guy can probably be made in char Editor, Copy and Paste.

If this costs 200k it will rage not only everyone in the game but myself included. Put some effort towards base additions not a pile of tribbles and targs... you are just recycling older game pieces. We want REAL starbase changes, not little plants and things that are scattered around an unchanging starbase layout.

and a little personal touch to our bases would also be nice...
    "And considering most of the special gear you get through stores on the fleet base cost fleet creds AND dilitiium, it's almost like they're actively trying to keep us from reaping the benefits of getting fleet gear. "
    ~starsider32485

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    They have not stated how much it will cost; plus it's a Fleet feature meaning it should be payed for by the entire Fleet. 200,000 Dilithium divided by 10 members is only 20,000 each. $0.99 cents per member, assuming they want to pay for it.

Join my fleet and pay for mine please,cos i'm certainly not contributing to this "special" project :o
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Why in the world would the Federation *want* Tribbles on its starbases? That is a blatant contradiction of canon. Also, what is the ETA on the foundry editor coming back up?

^ This exactly. What a strange special project. :confused:
  • Options
    mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Not sure about the project cost, but there are definitely more than 6 Tribbles ;) The image included is just one section of the starbase.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

So you get 5 more on the otherside of the bar? Right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • Options
    switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    When can we get the dance floor and conference table that you can clearly see in the map of the starbase but not actually IN the starbase? Maybe add an ACTUAL Mess Hall like the KDF have with lots of tables and chairs
  • Options
    mexxxmemexxxme Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I want to know:

- What in the numerous Chinese TRIBBLE are you smoking, that made this seem like a good idea?????

This is a complete waste of Dev time, and a "featured Project" timeslot.

Seriously - just skip it so I can do SOMETHING MEANINGFUL to my base - instead of this TOTAL HALF-*** EXCUSE for a project.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    mexxxme wrote: »
    I want to know:

- What in the numerous Chinese TRIBBLE are you smoking, that made this seem like a good idea?????

This is a complete waste of Dev time, and a "featured Project" timeslot.

Seriously - just skip it so I can do SOMETHING MEANINGFUL to my base - instead of this TOTAL HALF-*** EXCUSE for a project.
    Have any of these things really been meaningful? Is opening shutters meaningful? Is putting in consoles and plants meaningful? All the Featured Projects are just fluff things you can do extra. They're not important or meaningful to Fleetbases in any way.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Ok - point taken.

Though to me - doing actual upgrades (whether it's simply opening a window or adding statues) is *far* more meaningful than filling it up with utterly useless, annoying pig-dogs.

Edit:

And I hate tribbles. A freaking lot.
  • Options
    alastairnallalastairnall Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    When I first read the blog I thought it was a joke. That this could seem like a worthwhile idea to a single developer, let alone pass through whatever approval process is needed...it's just...there are no words for how sloppy/lazy of an idea this is.

Seriously, let's just skip this one and move onto whatever next month's is supposed to be...it can't be worse...wait, that is NOT a challenge! :P
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    When I first read the blog I thought it was a joke. That this could seem like a worthwhile idea to a single developer, let alone pass through whatever approval process is needed...it's just...there are no words for how sloppy/lazy of an idea this is.

Exactly.

This has been probably my biggest STO WTF moment, aside from Gecko saying "KDF don't need an assault carrier, they have Raptors"