What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 6 Dev Blog #20

1235»

Comments

• mkilczewskimkilczewski Member Posts: 284
    edited August 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Special Fleet Projects are all fluff and aesthetics. They're not required. They're just fun things some people might enjoy having in their base; in much the same way plants were 2 weeks ago. This type of project is for the gamers who like to buy all the Uniforms, or Tribbles, Pets, or whatnot in the game just for the fun of it. If that's not you, no big deal. The game wasn't made just for you. Other people have wants and needs too.

Dude, go back to bed. I am one of those gamers that buys the "just for fun stuff". As for the game not being made "just for me", I paid $300.00 upfront, 2 years ago, shortly after release. Did you?

My point is, people shouldn't have to spend ridiculous amounts of fleet resources, on "fluff" items like plants, windows, and tribbles. These should all be latinum items. And cheap ones, at that.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I paid $300.00 upfront, 2 years ago, shortly after release. Did you?
    No, my LTS was only $240.00 as I purchased it BEFORE the game was released. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited August 2012
    No, my LTS was only $240.00 as I purchased it BEFORE the game was released. :)

Well that's good for you, then. They took me for another 60 bucks.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well that's good for you, then. They took me for another 60 bucks.
    Of course, technically, I spent $200.00 on a CO LTS just to get into the STO early Beta, so you could say I actually paid $460.00 to play STO.:)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited August 2012
    Of course, technically, I spent $200.00 on a CO LTS just to get into the STO early Beta, so you could say I actually paid $460.00 to play STO.:)

I stand corrected. They saw you comin'. You lost your shirt.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    switchngc wrote: »
    Or you like small fleets where you are friends and not lost in the numbers...

Since you posted the above, I've earned 16k Dil, and contributed 22k to our fleet's effort. A tiny little fleet can bust this out in a week easy. If you do nothing except Explore Strange New Worlds and the Path to 2409, that's almost 2k Dil from two dailies. If 10 people do that for 10 days, you're done. If two or three of them along the way put a little effort into it, you're done in a weekend.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have targ cakes by the numbers

Tribbles by the score

Every day, dilithium's less

Each day Cryptic wants more
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• megamanx82megamanx82 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This has to be the Biggest joke that PWE has done to Date.. Tribbles are the last thing people want to spend 200k Dilithium ($10) on. I believe players would rather see a conference Table, or room than Tribbles. The only positive side to this update may be the Targs for the KDF. In my opinion, please give players something worthwhile.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • megamanx82megamanx82 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    rickpaaa wrote: »

Tribbles by the score

Love the Fallout reference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • karmapointkarmapoint Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hey Bran...

Aside the whole problem about price and if the cosmetic changes worth or not worth, anyone of the STO Website can place better, more clear pictures to see the whole limited project in action. If necessary, a video and more detailed information...

A lot of problems, trolls fights and negative impression happens because the lack of information about this or that. And the whole news about the limited project is too short to have a solid opinion in the begining.

Only after checking the finished project I have a better opinion. I maintain my original opinion about the tribble/targ project, but is more easily to us to have a better and more clear info about something of this importance, like a new ship, a new resource or a limited project, as example.

And if Crypt/PW make a news or give information of a product (the limited project is an ingame product at least!), having a better explanation in the new, with more pictures and if posssible, videos can really helps to make everyone know better and avoid any unwanted stress or troll rage for both sides.

Please, informative news are really good, but in the future place more images and more detailed info about the products or features, because checking news blindly in middle of the game can really give a bad impression and unwanted negative opinion about the work.
    Brasilis Elite Squad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PW/Crypt can't make more KDF Content?
  • fewzzfewzz Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    200k Dilithium, really?
    WTF you guys on, your game failed once because you got no clue, now it is heading that way again, complete idiots.

Put it this way IF this one bundle of Tribbles was there in first place and you paid to remove them most would like that, this is just pathetic bit like these Craptic Devs these days.

We expect alot more than a pile of tribbles on a desk that noone would notice anyways, wtf is going on.
  • captwinters1701captwinters1701 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Wouldn't having free range tribbles on starbases just give the Klingons more excuse to attack Starfleet Starbases thatn they already have?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thibashthibash Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    To be fair, I thought both the shutters and the plants added a lot to the general 'feel' of the starbase. As for the tribbles, they may do so too. I'm a tad worried that they may be a bit too prevalent (which might distract from the actual coolness that is our base) but overall, I think the projects so far have been what one would expect from decorative upgrades.

I'm looking forward to the next one every time.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    We already have:
    exocomps, targs, hortas, sehlats, jackal mastiff puppies, monkeys, spiders, scantily clad cadets and officers , walking big cats and environmentally suited griefers, sporting various whips, chains, swords, fire suppression devices, party favors, ice bombs, mini skirts, go go boots, Prom outfits, and implants of several varieties, running amok in our current starbases and social areas......Not to mention the occasional Q and related critters he turns us into. ;)

If we feel the need to pet something cute and fuzzy, all we need do... is simply pull out the plethora of tribbles of every name, color, flavor and ever increasing variety, from whatever unspecified TRIBBLE, we all presently keep them tucked deep down from. :eek:

What I would like to see is, perhaps holo representations/statues of historical ships, maybe upcoming ship designs, or various Federation heroes, adversaries, or important historical personalities like Zefram Cochrane, Jonathan Archer, ect. ect.

Maybe a project to get a lounge that overlooks a ship yard, full of various ships in berth ect. ect. ( EDIT: maybe even some with BATTLE DAMAGE !, like that scene with the Enterprise from The Search For Spock )

You know, something cool and worthy. :rolleyes: Course this might require some effort and development time, BUT it only seems fair that if we need to invest lots of our valuable time and effort into the project, that the rewards should reflect this in epicness.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• destin1adestin1a Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I agree with the Bit about a lounge overlooking the berths of all the ships that are currently docked - one of which should be our own ship!

But another little extra i would like to see - and not just on our own star bases but on say sol system as well is the ability to manually / semi-manually Dock our ships, or at the very least a docking sequence for the loading screen when we are docking at a star base. (then easily an option to skip the docking sequence by pressing a key (f) could be added in if the starbase map has loaded before the sequence has finished.)

I am getting really bored with looking at various colours of different planetary systems on the loading screen and the notes at the bottom i am sure i have pretty much read them all now.

And the other complaints that i have at this stage is the Amount of time it takes for us to load the sol System ESD. - Personally i wouldn't mind if certain star base systems are stored on my own PC rather than having to wait in some cases up to 15 minutes for the space station to load. at least then the only information that would need to be loaded from the server would be the positions of other players and any "Special Missions" that may be available. if it will help reduce the server load and speed up the loading sequence a little space on my HDD is worth the Sacrifice.

And my final complaint - I have got a fine computer that can handle a MW3 Server, I have a fiber optic connection running at a minimum of 70 mb/s AT PEAK RATE. and i still seem to have a lot of trouble with the fleet missions, in particular the starbase fleet alert - where 15 and up to 30 people if not more are all on the same map. - i think you all know the one i mean - yes i have witnessed my fps drop to 3 fps using FRAPS - (not recording and only to get a fps count) - i understand that the mission can use up quite a heavy server load with that many players and the amount of enemy ships on the map at the same time, - so how is this for a solution. -

(Please note this next bit is an idea to improve fleet missions is not yet calculated and is not balanced - if people want to improve on the idea or have any comments please do so - but it is for development and therefore criticism is not neccesary - all suggestions are welcome)

Stick to having just 20 players (5 players per outlying facility) and work from there to get the balance right on it. - for example with 4 teams of 5 player make the enemy at 3 to 1 on the attacks on the star base but do it in two seperate waves so in all there are 60 ships - 30 per wave - per star base attack. (which i believe happens in two seperate rounds) - that is 120 enemy ships in total on the starbase and currently i see no issue with the amount of attacking forces on the outlying facilities.

These are just a few ideas i have been thinking through lately regarding the game - and i hope these suggestions are listened to discussed and improved upon. - Or if possible used in some way or another! :D
  • rustychatrustychat Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Maybe a project to get a lounge that overlooks a ship yard, full of various ships in berth ect. ect. ( EDIT: maybe even some with BATTLE DAMAGE !, like that scene with the Enterprise from The Search For Spock )

You know, something cool and worthy. :rolleyes: Course this might require some effort and development time, BUT it only seems fair that if we need to invest lots of our valuable time and effort into the project, that the rewards should reflect this in epicness.
    destin1a wrote: »
    I agree with the Bit about a lounge overlooking the berths of all the ships that are currently docked - one of which should be our own ship!

Go to your base, head down to engineering, and take a look at the conveniently placed heavy doors that are on the wall there. It's almost like there's probably going to be an upcoming project to remove them :P Though, I am personally hoping that more of the wall than just that will be removed. The bigger the window the better afterall.

Anyway, I'm not terribly miffed about the tribbles & targs special project. Under the condition that all the time and effort that they saved on it is being spent fixing bugs and building some new content. Still going to be saving our dilithium though. Got enough of the vermin already.
  • tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So a Fleet with the latest Featured Project completed was kind enough to invite me onto their Starbase today. They explained to me how Tribbles worked on the Starbase map and allowed me to take pictures.

So the Tribbles start out as four piles.
    Screenshot 1
    Screenshot 2

You and anyone else on the map can kick them around.
    Screenshot 3

We did this for a while and made quite a mess.
    Screenshot 4
    Screenshot 5

They were everywhere and starting to get really annoying to look at.
    Screenshot 6

You can remove them from the floor of OPS, by going to the NPC near the bar and have him "clean" them up.
    Screenshot 7

Now the floor of OPS is clean...for now. The tribbles will return in a few minutes (refer to Screenshot 1).
    Screenshot 8

Our Fleet put this Featured Project to a vote yesterday. I was against this because there were some unknowns that set off some red flags for me. I am not alone on this either, most of the STO community shared the same concerns I had. Particularly, the idea that these Tribbles were static ground map objects you can't get rid of (I would prefer a clean Starbase). Others were concerned about the cost. Some pointed out that the project is not worth doing and the effect can easily be produced with a Tribble gun. All the concerns I've heard about people being against the project were valid considering the lack of information about the finished product.

It's by sheer luck that I was able to find a Fleet that had the project completed. And they were kind enough to show me around their Starbase. I was told that there is a function that removes the Tribbles simply by commanding the appropriate NPC. So I feel a little better about this project and I would personally change my vote from NO to YES.

I hope this helps any Fleets who took this project to a vote, or Fleets in general still on the fence about it.
  • latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    tehjonel wrote: »
    It's by sheer luck that I was able to find a Fleet that had the project completed. And they were kind enough to show me around their Starbase. I was told that there is a function that removes the Tribbles simply by commanding the appropriate NPC. So I feel a little better about this project and I would personally change my vote from NO to YES.

I would be in favor of it if the default was the other way around. As I understand it, the Tribbles appear on their own by default. You have to talk to an NPC to get rid of them. They then re-appear again after a few minutes. Would've been better the other way around where they are NOT there by default, but rather appear only after talking to the NPC.
    edited August 2012
    Such negativity... Shame on you all. Because of such whining we just get more and more of ships... which is frankly, TRIBBLE.
    edited August 2012
    rickpaaa wrote: »

Tribbles by the score

A poet, the laddy reckon's himself a poet.
  • kel1restkel1rest Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thanks Tehjonel for putting up those screenshots. Our fleet was considering getting them but thanks to you we have decided not to.