What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 6 Dev Blog #20

Comments

• lordhooklordhook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    mexxxme wrote: »
    I want to know:

- What in the numerous Chinese TRIBBLE are you smoking, that made this seem like a good idea?????

I do not know what they smoke, but it is good! ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    mexxxme wrote: »
    Exactly.

This has been probably my biggest STO WTF moment, aside from Gecko saying "KDF don't need an assault carrier, they have Raptors"
    Again, are pets in the base any more of a WTF moment then plants? To me it seems like exactly the same type of moment. Either you're interested or you're not.

I'll probably pay for both my Fed and KDF bases myself, as Dilithium isn't that important to me.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • sonoframonsonoframon Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Lemme tell you a little side story so you can understand the Klingon rage that is going through me (and before anyone that actually thinks this project, and about 75% of what has come out is the greatest season Cryptic has put out, please... keep the comments to yourselves.)

When your first special project came out, I was pretty excited... windows, in space. Our fleet thought about it then we embarked on that journey. On the 2nd or 3rd day, we had only managed to get about 50k or so in dilithium contributed, not sure of the exact amount. Under my main toon I had amassed 12k refined dil that I was pondering what to do with. I'll admit, I was played for a sucker. I threw all 120k dil into that project, and we had our windows a couple of days later. It was nice, I'll admit. I actually sat my toon down on the floor and stared out those windows a lot. But, then I decided I wanted the armitage, but oops, no dil to get the c/z points. Oh well. Now, we have advanced a lot in our fleet and I was like ooh, new special project. We didn't do the last one, but I was hoping this one would be good. Then I read the post, and I was floored. Laughing. Hard.

There is no way of a snowball in Haiti's chance that I will contribute to this project if it gets selected as a project to contribute to. I could have had my Armitage >:(

I guess the bigger issue though is that I feel disenfranchised. I'm sure a lot of us are in varying levels... Find it sad really, that the best shot at having a Star Trek game that actually is decent enough to put money into, is being degenerated into just another source of income. Is that what we really are to you Cryptic/PWE? Mindless minions that are expected to hand out money and time for a few tribbles here and there? Has the obvious and blatant disregard of your core demographic even phased any of you? I mean... I'm certain it's Pay To Win Entertainment that's calling all the shots, but come on... It's getting ridiculous now, it really is.

Then again I can understand the need to have a stream of income coming in. But at what cost? There is so much that needs fixing, or needs tweaking, or streamlined (and again i get it it's not you probably)... it is insane to think that even in an environment where nothing will ever be 100% and bug-free, that there are still major issues with this game. And most of us have been victims of these problems, myself included.

I would really, really appreciate it if you, as a company, would stop and really really think what is your purpose... You have a game which has thousands upon thousands of loyal players, who are Trekkies to the core, and that love the fact that they can get on whenever and be immersed in a great universe. Why would you put pure rubbish like this out, that doesn't even fit very well with established canon, and IMO has no place in the current system? I'm sure you have your reasons, but all that we want is straight answers... Why put effort into this when the game itself needs fixing in a lot of areas? Is money THAT important to you that you're willing to destroy what you have built just to appease PWE???

I give all the respect to the Dev Team, for i've appreciated everything you have done. I just feel that the need to make the next dollar has clouded the ambitions of you as artists, which you are by every right. Maybe I'm being zealous when I wish that I want to see stuff I would be excited to throw time and money into acquiring. But as it stands, with the way things have been evolving these last few weeks, that I am getting jaded with it all. I love STO, but this is too much for me.

-sonoframon
    WELL IF THE JAPORI INCIDENT HAS TAUGHT ME ANYTHING, IT'S THAT MY EXISTENCE IS AN EXPLOIT. THANKS CRYPTIC.

IF YOU ARE READING MY SIG - THEN YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG
  • mexxxmemexxxme Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This X10 ^
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    is it just me who thinks sto is going the wrong way ?
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    usscapital wrote: »
    is it just me who thinks sto is going the wrong way ?

I wonder if the Dev team ever get tired of pissing off the playerbase... Maybe that is why they don't post on the forum other than in Non-game discussions (or starting these threads to TRIBBLE people off) much anymore.
    edited August 2012
    switchngc wrote: »
    I wonder if the Dev team ever get tired of pissing off the playerbase... Maybe that is why they don't post on the forum other than in Non-game discussions (or starting these threads to TRIBBLE people off) much anymore.
    How can they be pissing people off by offering a fluff item that no one needs? It's like putting a smiley-face decal in your car window. It doesn't make the window any better. It's just fluff; decoration.

If you don't want any of the fluff Feature Project items then simply don't get them. It's not like you're being denied something that the game won't work without.

Why does everyone need to immediately overreact to everything simply because it's not something they want? Is it so hard to understand that what I don't want someone else playing the game might want?
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Here are the alternatives:

1) During the long period of time it takes to put something together that uses new assets and requires coding, like most of the great ideas on the forums, we get no new special projects and nothing cool to add to our bases and rally our fleets around for participation.

2) Somebody uses his spare time, existing art assets, and little or no coding to give us a neat fluff item that some people will enjoy and others are not required to participate in.

The choice seems easy to me; this is something almost anybody on the staff, from Jack all the way to the girl who answers the phone and signs for Fedex packages, could do in their lunch hour. Why should we have nothing new instead? If you don't like it, don't select it as your next fleet special project, and put that dil into another round of military XP or something.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    How can they be pissing people off by offering a fluff item that no one needs? It's like putting a smiley-face decal in your car window. It doesn't make the window any better. It's just fluff; decoration.

If you don't want any of the fluff Feature Project items then simply don't get them. It's not like you're being denied something that the game won't work without.

Why does everyone need to immediately overreact to everything simply because it's not something they want? Is it so hard to understand that what I don't want someone else playing the game might want?

No one is against fluff items, everyone is against EXPENSIVE fluff items.

No one is going to pay 200,000 USD for a Smiley Face decal unless it is the size of the moon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

TRIBBLE people off by insulting our intelligence every time they come out with something new and DRASTICALLY overpriced. Just because it isn't required doesn't mean we don't get pissed off by Devs thinking we are nothing more than a resource to be mined until we are dry then disposed of.
    edited August 2012
    mewi wrote: »
    No one is against fluff items, everyone is against EXPENSIVE fluff items.

No one is going to pay 200,000 USD for a Smiley Face decal unless it is the size of the moon.
    As I said above, we don't know how much it's going to cost, yet. And as I also said above, people paid 200,000 Dilithium for plants a week ago; and paid 200,000 for shutters before that. Clearly some people are willing to pay that much for fluff items. You might not be one of those people, but that just means you aren't in the item's target-group.

As far as how expensive it is, as I've said in other threads, on average I make between 500,000 and 600,000 Dilithium a month by myself. My Fleet of 120+ members probably makes between 25 and 30 million Dilithium per month combined. 200,000 is meaningless to me and not even a second thought to my Fleet.
    edited August 2012
    As I said above, we don't know how much it's going to cost, yet. And as I also said above, people paid 200,000 Dilithium for plants a week ago; and paid 200,000 for shutters before that. Clearly some people are willing to pay that much for fluff items. You might not be one of those people, but that just means you aren't in the item's target-group.

As far as how expensive it is, as I've said in other threads, on average I make between 500,000 and 600,000 Dilithium a month by myself. My Fleet of 120+ members probably makes between 50 and 60 million Dilithium per month combined. 200,000 is meaningless to me and not even a second thought to my Fleet.

Good for you :P but you have to consider the smaller fleets here. 200k Dilithium is a lot. Hell, 8K dilithium is a lot ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    mewi wrote: »
    Good for you :P but you have to consider the smaller fleets here. 200k Dilithium is a lot. Hell, 8K dilithium is a lot ;)
    I make over 17,000 Dilithium every day just playing 2-2.5 hours. All anyone needs is 4 VAs and the willingness to want to do it. :)
  • praghaspraghas Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    A pretty nice update. I recently got the Kahless Bridge for my KDF Carrier and it has a Targ pit on the bridge, I was very impressed. The tribbles are not as nice, but the Targs are an excellent addition.
    Cloaking generators break down at first sign of language.
    edited August 2012
    I make over 17,000 Dilithium every day just playing 2-2.5 hours. All anyone needs is 4 VAs and the willingness to want to do it. :)

I'm also notmade of time, with every other thing they ask for, you'd have to play 8 hours a day in a small fleet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • baracura28baracura28 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I think with these 200k special projects.. remove the darn dilithium refine cap or make it higher than 8k a day.. even 20k a day would be nice. Thats 10 days than u got ur 200k... Or is that a bad idea??
    Talking to my self, asking stuff to my self, definitely not understanding my self. Such is the life of an overworked Starfleet admiral.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Precious Dev time wasted to make more tribble stuff no one wants?
    Why should anyone want to pay a huge amount of dilithium to get even more tribbles?
    Sorry, but i don't get it...

Live long and prosper.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • mexxxmemexxxme Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If anything, this should be PART of an upgrade - like it should have come with the "interior designer" bit.

Give us something with at least a little substance - this is one project that will NEVER be added to my starbase.

I'm mostly angry that we have to wait another 2 weeks to see if we're getting anything good, or just another TRIBBLE-pie.

Not to mention - this doesn't bode well for future special proj's

"New Featured Project: Get your own half-full glass of water (with lipstick stain!) sitting on the counter! only 200k dilith"
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Starbases are Not Zoos....and if there is some some, They are an official Zoo.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    castsbugc wrote: »
    IT means we can sing songs of the great tribble hunts, it can be like a fleet event and stuff

Next project: Tribble Containment Taskforce.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Amazing, Cryptic gives fleets a chance to cusomize their starbase with tribbles and all these folks start getting angry.

Its kinda hilarious, you trek fans take things way too seriously.
  • kingofhearts888kingofhearts888 Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    kingdoxy wrote: »
    Amazing, Cryptic gives fleets a chance to cusomize their starbase with tribbles and all these folks start getting angry.

Its kinda hilarious, you trek fans take things way too seriously.

I don't think they are mad that we are getting a chance to customize it with tribbles, I think its because instead of a useful cool interior design switch, its tribbles and targs, and it will most likely cost 200k dilithium which is ridiculous
  • captainjgeecaptainjgee Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    What a joke. The current project is awful and a total waste of dilithium, but tribbles! What next, drunk bar patrons. How about charging dilithium to use the station! Sorry I'm not buying this any time. :mad:
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I won't be putting any resources to this if my fleet mates do well thats up to them. However why is there no mission ever to have seats in the star base last time we did fleet trivia my fellow members had to sit on the floor like school kids.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sinsofanempiresinsofanempire Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    robeasom wrote: »
    I won't be putting any resources to this if my fleet mates do well thats up to them. However why is there no mission ever to have seats in the star base last time we did fleet trivia my fellow members had to sit on the floor like school kids.

There will be red window seats and a dance floor. If you look at the minimap, you can see all of the feature projects before they add them.

President of Alpha Solaris, a Federation fleet.

I used to be Sinsofasolarempire
  • ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    What next, drunk bar patrons.

I would pay 200k dilithium to have Morn on our starbase :)

and btw, everyone is raging about prices. I think if Cryptic did not intend to release it as a cheaper special projects from past feedback, they might change the price just because of this topic. I hope :)

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • smazazelsmazazel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    you guys realize that NOTHING in the starbase really has a use till you reach above tier 2?
    it would be nice that more TRIBBLE was unlock waay earlier. but it is grindy grindy till we have something to ACTUALLY call content.
  • karmapointkarmapoint Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Ok, this is really awful!!!!

Not about selling a cosmetic change.

Is about the commom price (200,000 dilithium) for a small, uselless cosmetic change!

The past special project gived us some small plants, two pilars or two klingon statues. Is nice? Ok, is nice and cool, but really don't worth the money or time you spend to get this.

Now, we get random tribbles and rats to walk randomly in our starbases? Only this, paying a high price? Without any custom setting or option to set to make this more unique to us?

Please, make something really usefull, something we really want to get and have pride to show to our fleet members anytime!

IF is a project to place a usable dabo table with Leeta, a usable poker table to play with five people, a group of orion dancers to a kdf starbase to sing and dance for you, a holographic hall to have a pratical and usefull fleet boarding board or a working holodeck to place our foundry missions, we have a deal at least!

IF is a project to show the ships of our fleet members in the shipyard, a workable brig to place any duty prisioner or bad fleet member, a custom and private quarters for each fleet member with fleet rank 4 or 5 fleet or more, a private officer for each fleet member with fleet rank 6 or 7, or a pratical and useful Rearch and Develop laboratory, we have great deal!

But selling a high-priced changes with micro-cosmetic stuff in our starbase only make everyone angry, sad or get strong doubts if the whole starbase idea to donate our hard-earned stuff really worth.

You want to sell cosmetic changes? Ok, please, make something to give a strong sense of proud of each member of our starbase, to incentive everyone to donate the hard-earned stuff to *any* starbase project. Make something really unique, great to see and use. Something to give our sense of awesomess to make any low-rank member lost your jaw watching our base in the first time.

Want to give a *true* and *great* special, cosmetic and really wanted limited time project, please, make first a Special project to make our fleet Badge/simbol to be show in a whole wall!

;)
    Brasilis Elite Squad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PW/Crypt can't make more KDF Content?
  • captainjgeecaptainjgee Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ferdzso0 wrote: »
    I would pay 200k dilithium to have Morn on our starbase :)

I guarantee Morn will be one of those projects. You think they would go to all that trouble just to have him in Quarks Bar, I think not.

They want us to waste huge amounts of dilithium on these over price project, not me any more.
  • hrci2907hrci2907 Member Posts: 648 Media Corps
    edited August 2012
    My fleet will not take part in this special project! Its not worth 200k of dilithiun, its not even worth 20k!
    "This is your ultimate STO Youtube channel!"
    https://youtube.com/user/MyBalkanGaming