test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Trolls on Drozana

cleacoecleacoe Member Posts: 4 Arc User
Why is it that Cryptic and PW allow this harassment and trolling to continue by certain trolling fleets on Drozana Station and other social zones?
I along with many other gold members have paid a lot of money through subscriptions and the c-store to support this game though the years. Yet the Devs are continuing to allowing trolls to make enjoying the game impossible.
I along with many others will not invest any more money in this game until the GM's that are suppose to Police this type of behavior actually do their jobs and end all this harassment of players.
Post edited by cleacoe on

Comments

• diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Drozana is a very special place. This kind of place exists in every MMO. You can't do much against "trolls", since being slightly annoying isn't against the rules. As long as they don't insult you it's ok I guess.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    How about instance limiting

1 an instance only for Lifetime members and Gold members Everything fully enabled

2 An instance only for Free players NOTHING enabled (no social items no weapons)

3 a Secure area for Roleplayers with a Live full time moderator

4 an "Adult " instance strictly over 21s as above

5 a "dentist" instance (all spam systems active and only place you can go if you have a chat ban)

6 mission instance (all chats and special effects disabled)
    Live long and Prosper
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Without naming names (against forum rules), what "trollish" behavior are you referring to, exactly?

Even if the Devs wanted to do something about it, they'd need to know what was going on first.

Annoying behavior is kind of subjective. What annoys you might not annoy me, etc.

What matters is whether it's true harassment and whether that particular form of harassment is something they can/will do something about.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    edited August 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Without naming names (against forum rules), what "trollish" behavior are you referring to, exactly?

Even if the Devs wanted to do something about it, they'd need to know what was going on first.

Annoying behavior is kind of subjective. What annoys you might not annoy me, etc.

What matters is whether it's true harassment and whether that particular form of harassment is something they can/will do something about.

Well I guess it's about the party popers.

OP:
    K7 is a good station too, you have the same services and it's very close to drozana. You may migrate if there are people you don't want to see. It would take you less time than complaining on the forums. ;)
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • demyx18cdemyx18c Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Quarks also works too. At least there both KDF and Feds can go there unlike K-7 or Ganalda (nobody is ever in Ganalda). That and it is surrounded by everything you need such as an exchange and a costume vendor.
    Picard to Chunk, do the truffle shuffle!
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Trolls = Profit...

I'm sure it's somewhere in PWE's rules of acquisition. Probably right after "Once you have their money, never give it back".

As long as they have a place to harass, they are happy... when they are happy they feel like spending money. That simple, and PWE knows it.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    edited August 2012
    sollvax wrote: »

1 an instance only for Lifetime members and Gold members Everything fully enabled

2 An instance only for Free players NOTHING enabled (no social items no weapons)

Assuming of course that "trolls" only play for free and that free players don't deserve the same social experience as Golds.

First of all, how do you expect PWE to police that? Do we all need to submit to a retinal scan before playing the game? How exactly do you keep non-Roleplayers out?

Second of all, how many in-game moderators do you think PWE would need to hire to supervise all of these "instances" throughout the game? Because the game engine guarantees that you would need a special instance for each zone or area.

Should they do this for a "Free to Play" game? Probably not going to happen.
    5 a "dentist" instance (all spam systems active and only place you can go if you have a chat ban)

I'm getting downright curious about these Dentist guys.

By definition, if they're banned from chat they can't bother anybody with chat. They can "get in your face", true. You could take a screenshot and put in a ticket, I guess. But you could also try to zone into a new instance, couldn't you?

I'm just not sure it's reasonable to expect Cryptic to spin up a new separate zone instance just because a handful of players have chat disabled. If a player is behaving badly enough, PWE can revoke their account... and then they can get a new email address and start another one.

Which sucks for sure, but the alternative is punishing all of the Silver accounts for the misdeeds of a few and I don't think that's fair or good for the game as a whole.

The only thing to do is politely ask people to stop the behavior that's annoying you, quietly file a ticket if the behavior is extreme, and then ignore them the best you can.

I understand that filing tickets is probably not going to be productive in a lot of cases. But that's what we've got.

As far as mission instances go, I could see disabling certain items like party poppers. But chat? Not everybody uses voicechat. Also, some RP'ers use Foundry missions and maybe they might want party poppers. Probably not, but there's no accounting for taste and a sense of "what the heck".
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    What I don't understand, is WHY people find they need to go out of their way to disrupt someone elses game play, or make the game unenjoyable for anyone. This game is rampant with it. From Griefers to Trolls to Ragers and the list goes on and on.

I am not a Role Player (TBH, I find it a little disturbing), but if that is your thing... Then please enjoy yourself (it is a game after all). I had read the feud between some RP'ers and a certain fleet here on the forums, and honestly (out of morbid curiosity more than anything else) went to Dronza to see what all the whoopla was about.

I was there, basically minding my own business doing some banking and exchanging (and reading the zone/local chat)... I did not engage in local or zone chat... did not approach any other player directly... I ran from bank to exchange, and back... thats about it. I was approached several times by RP'ers with offers.. some shall we say... would be best left in a strip club or brothel... others just trying to include me in their RP (not necessarily in a sexual way (i take this as the RP community trying to involve other RP'ers in the event), In both types, I politely explained that I was not a role player, in one case I was left alone, and we parted amicably (thank you to those persons), in other cases, they either continued to initiate contact, or got a little heated that I was not participating and evidently ruining their immersion... one suggested that if I wasnt into RP, then I shouldn't be on Dronza.

Also realize, that there is no Official RP Zone, as such all players are welcome on Dronza.

By the way, I am a paying customer as well.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
    edited August 2012
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sollvax

Assuming of course that "trolls" only play for free and that free players don't deserve the same social experience as Golds.

FTP don't pay and therefore should get less

Quote:

First of all, how do you expect PWE to police that? Do we all need to submit to a retinal scan before playing the game? How exactly do you keep non-Roleplayers out?

see "live full time moderator"
    as to age
    its on your CREDIT card details in some cases

Second of all, how many in-game moderators do you think PWE would need to hire to supervise all of these "instances" throughout the game? Because the game engine guarantees that you would need a special instance for each zone or area.

1 for each of 2 instances

only talking about Drozana here

Should they do this for a "Free to Play" game? Probably not going to happen.

they could "hire" players (free gold members for doing a two hour shift each day)
    Quote:

I'm getting downright curious about these Dentist guys.
    they are deviant
    By definition, if they're banned from chat they can't bother anybody with chat. They can "get in your face", true. You could take a screenshot and put in a ticket, I guess. But you could also try to zone into a new instance, couldn't you?

no because they Cover ALL instances
    I'm just not sure it's reasonable to expect Cryptic to spin up a new separate zone instance just because a handful of players have chat disabled. If a player is behaving badly enough, PWE can revoke their account... and then they can get a new email address and start another one.

ah but these dentist guys are not that bright in general
    it would take them DAYS to figure that out

Which sucks for sure, but the alternative is punishing all of the Silver accounts for the misdeeds of a few and I don't think that's fair or good for the game as a whole.

beats a few thousand people quitting or a war
    The only thing to do is politely ask people to stop the behavior that's annoying you, quietly file a ticket if the behavior is extreme, and then ignore them the best you can.

I understand that filing tickets is probably not going to be productive in a lot of cases. But that's what we've got.

well code 5 is helping
    you see a dentist in pve you ignore them
    they go down you leave them down
    the borg assimilate them you leave them

As far as mission instances go, I could see disabling certain items like party poppers. But chat? Not everybody uses voicechat. Also, some RP'ers use Foundry missions and maybe they might want party poppers. Probably not, but there's no accounting for taste and a sense of "what the heck".
    The 4 F's: Friendship, Freedom, Fun, and Fair-Play

Freedom isn't free im afraid
    Live long and Prosper
    edited August 2012
    DS9: stf fans station
    K7: pvpers station
    Drozana: RPers station
    ESD: beginners station

Each station has a personnality. If you don't like it, there are plenty of social zones with an exchange and a bank, but even if you pay, you have no right to tell what kind of gamestyle is good or bad. Paying gives you no right to say that people play the game the wrong way. :)

As I said, K7 has more services than drozana and it's 30s away.

Why do I say that? Because I have a lot of fun leaving my fed andorian female seducively dancing on the bar. :D
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited August 2012
    If I'm in a hub zone like ESD, DS9, or yes, Drozana just doing my business, I pretty much ignore everybody else in the zone. I'm neither for nor against RP, I enjoy it at times but I don't have to be in-character every moment.

These hub zones are just not conducive to RP. A lot of people are there for a lot of different reasons.

Maybe this is a good argument for social zones that don't provide any real services like mail or exchange. Or where the service areas are tucked out of the way like they are on ESD. Naturally limiting the players present to people who want to be in that zone for other reasons.

Risa is not a bad example of such a place where there's no out-of-character reason to travel to.

This is also a really good use for starbases and bridges... places you can only get to by membership or invitation.

But I get that the issue is cross-faction as well. Drozana, DS9, and Deferi are the only places I can think of that are accessible to both sides.

(Forgot Nukara Prime, but it's kind of hard to socialize when you're being attacked by giant crystal spiders... :D )
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Eh...simplest way I've found to avoid any issues at all is simply:

Turn off Zone and/or Local chat. Saves me a heap of trouble anywhere I go. Any 'trolling' issues I have to deal with are more in STFs, and other such group events.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • cleacoecleacoe Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Cryptic could make the ignore button to not only ignore a player in chat but make them invisible in the game for you also and end all the unwanted harassment.
    edited August 2012
    If you are interested in PWE/Cryptic hiring/paying for Moderators... then there needs to be a surcharge to declared RP's... And you must have an unlock code to enter a RP instance.

I am not interested in, would rally against, any attempt to divert the monies I do pay into PWE/Cryptic to make and personally moderate a RP zones.

edited August 2012
    Worth it to keep the bad guys out
    Live long and Prosper
  • mavairomavairo Member Posts: 579
    edited August 2012

That way you can tip the orions, amiright?

So you don't have to worry about someone else catching the girls eyes that don't have money?

I don't think anyone wants to actually read bad fanfic material for a living.

Especially if there's going to be a "champagne room".

Since that will sooo stop people from ruining your sexy time. Cause you can't get any outside of the game.
  • ebeneezergoodeebeneezergoode Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    A members area, where the needs of your member are seen to? Drozana's already like horrific cross between Stringfellow's and Mos Eisley.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • devian666devian666 Member Posts: 473
    edited August 2012
    Worth it to keep the bad guys out

I agree with your suggestion to place you in an instance by yourself. You do, after all, want to make the game a single player.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    FTP don't pay and therefore should get less

Ah, but I'm a Silver account and I buy stuff on a regular basis. By that logic, I deserve as much as a Gold does.

And you're missing the point that there's nothing stopping a Gold from engaging in trollish behavior. So if they pay, it's okay?

see "live full time moderator"

That doesn't explain anything. Live full time moderators have to be paid, trained, and wouldn't magically know everything about every player that enters the instance. All they can do is watch and step in if the rules get violated... assuming there's a rule PWE considers worth actively monitoring for violation.

as to age its on your CREDIT card details in some cases

And some parents (not me) might pay for their kid's account. Not proof that the actual player is an adult. Some adults might use a Zen card instead of a credit card.

Point being the solution is not as simple or cut-and-dry as that.

1 for each of 2 instances

only talking about Drozana here

Fair enough. Maybe they could actively monitor one zone. Still don't think they would want to, for various reasons.

they could "hire" players (free gold members for doing a two hour shift each day)

{Sigh}. Gold membership does not qualify one for sainthood, or make one fit to be an in-game moderator. PWE is NOT going to invest non-employees with magical Dev powers to kick people out. Can't you see that is just not a reasonable proposal?

Freedom isn't free im afraid

No, it isn't. It isn't easy, either. Sometimes it means fighting injustice. Sometimes it means putting up with things you don't like to preserve the freedoms that matter and protecting people who are innocent of offense.

If you went to my fleet's forum, and read the 4F's for yourself, you'd understand what I mean by that. Whether we want to believe it or not, we all have a serious and sacred responsibility to each other -- even in a game.

I don't condone anyone going out of their way to spoil anybody's fun. Nor open hostilities and "Code 5", whatever that is. There's a reason those principles I call the 4F's include the words "Friendship" and "Fair-Play". "Freedom" and "Fun" don't mean a whole lot without them.

The full version of the 4F's: http://z15.invisionfree.com/Federation_Reborn/index.php?showtopic=6
    edited August 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »
    There's a reason those principles I call the 4F's include the words "Friendship" and "Fair-Play". "Freedom" and "Fun" don't mean a whole lot without them.

The full version of the 4F's: http://z15.invisionfree.com/Federation_Reborn/index.php?showtopic=6

QFT

This... This is sorely lacking in this game... I may use revise my fleet misson to read more like this... spent a lot of time outlining do nots, instead of do's... Thank you for this!

• telmatkhantelmatkhan Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Can we figure out some way to get an instance solely for sollvax so innocent players don't have to suffer at the hands of "Code Red" or whatever he's constantly banging on about? I'm sure it would be tricky but you could probably do it with computers.
  • devian666devian666 Member Posts: 473
    edited August 2012
    Sollvax doesn't adhear to such rules. He has been going out of his way to troll people in threads and as discussed in STFs. Some of the behaviour I have seen in the past two weeks is the most highly offensive and inappropriate that I've ever seen in an online game there are people that will threaten you with criminal offenses if you don't do what they tell you. It's sickening.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    Code 5's? Have heard about it before, never done one, never seen one in action... and will never participate in one. In fact, I will drop what I am doing whether or not it means complete failure of the mission to rush to the aid of anyone subjected to a Code 5.

I encourage everyone who sees this in action to ignore the person calling for a Code 5...

This is probably one of the worst things I have read on these forums... and truthfully... that is saying a lot.

• f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    what those trolls have been doing goes way beyond bugging the RPers, they even harrass people using the facilities. I've been harassed by them using the bank, the mailbox, the exchange, Dabo, even while trying to play the FE missions on the station. I don't care what you say otherwise, but constantly blowing a fire extinguisher in someone's ear while they're using the exchange is harassment. You can't move to another instance because they are everywhere, and I like to use Drozana as a base for this stuff because it's near Nukara, I shouldn't have to fly all the way to K-7 to use the bank after a Nukara run. They do not own Drozana I should be able to go to whatever station I want and use the facilities freely.
  • captaintroikacaptaintroika Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have a better solution: ban every single player that actively, or tacitly, is seeking cybersex in their bio, from every single Perfect World game.
    edited August 2012
    what those trolls have been doing goes way beyond bugging the RPers, they even harrass people using the facilities. I've been harassed by them using the bank, the mailbox, the exchange, Dabo, even while trying to play the FE missions on the station. I don't care what you say otherwise, but constantly blowing a fire extinguisher in someone's ear while they're using the exchange is harassment. You can't move to another instance because they are everywhere, and I like to use Drozana as a base for this stuff because it's near Nukara, I shouldn't have to fly all the way to K-7 to use the bank after a Nukara run. They do not own Drozana I should be able to go to whatever station I want and use the facilities freely.

I agree. That's what I'd call "extreme" behavior.

Unfortunately, I don't see any solution that's reasonable or simple.

One result of making the game Free to Play is that it's going to be just that much harder to pin down an individual and kick them out permanently.

If you can't pin down an individual, the temptation is to profile them and put limits on people who fit a stereotype. I can imagine some cases in real life where that's unavoidable, but we as a group really need to avoid that at all costs where at all possible. That's the slippery slope we need to stay off of.

We shouldn't fall into the trap of thinking that every Silver account is a deadbeat and every Gold account has the right to do what they want.

On the other hand, PWE most likely does not have the manpower to watch even one zone 24x7. Even if they did, it may not always be clear who did what to who and why. Enforcement would help, but it wouldn't be perfect.

Again, we need to remember this is a F2P game. If they hire somebody to patrol Drozana, that's less money they have to develop the game with.

I can't see them creating a Pay to Play server set aside for a particular group of players. I doubt it would be cost-effective for them.

They're not going to empower players to kick other players out of the game or even out of an instance. (Kicking off a team or out of a mission is a different matter.)

This is really a social problem, and it probably needs a social solution of some kind. What form that ought to take, I'm not sure.
    edited August 2012
    I guess they should open a church as social zone for some people here. Only americans are prudish enough to be shocked by two or more women dancing together. :D
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • cakeballscakeballs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    patrickngo wrote: »
    I can almost support this idea, but the paperwork and the opportunity for it to be abused and/or mistakes to be made make it not only unlikely to be implemented, but unlikely to work as intended as well.

As for the Dentists....

They really don't like it when you start digging into their motives in public. Last time my Fed was there, I got into a rather civil discourse (okay, civil if you're a Klingon at heart), which apparently presaged a general revolt by the non-Dental people-they were gone for three or four days afterward.

Apparently, they can't handle being mocked. It's something to consider, anyway.

Okay let me stop you there. Butts was gone for 3 days because he was crucified by Dear Leader. He arrived on the 4th day to spread the word that is Dental.

Starfleet Dental never left the riot you caused. They simply didn't wish to spend most of their real lives on this game. Now that Butts is back, the brrapture has begun!:cool:
    edited August 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    I guess they should open a church as social zone for some people here. Only americans are prudish enough to be shocked by two or more women dancing together. :D

Speaking as an American... I'd go for both ;)

edited August 2012
    I should be able to go to whatever station I want and use the facilities freely.

Maybe this is a good argument for making facilities freely available on ships and starbases.

If the only reason to visit a hub where people are misbehaving is convenient use of facilities, then making those facilities available outside those hubs would allow people to conduct their business in peace.

For the record, I am saying that maybe Cryptic should just turn all those QoL services on inside the starbases and stop making us grind for them. There are plenty of other things we can grind for.

Better yet, make some of those services accessible from the starship interiors and let visitors enjoy the use of them.

I understand that Cryptic really wants those common social areas... but when the social areas become anti-social we need alternatives.
This discussion has been closed.