test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Show of hands

Comments

• kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I kinda like diehards like this because you can tell they're the same dudes who'll kick and whine about "Feddies" and Cryptic (MORE LIKE CRAPTIC) but they've been playing STO the full two years since beta and they'll be the ones begging for it to come back once the servers close

Its funny too seeing folks post stuff like: "I spent 400 Hrs playing this game and it SUCKS. I know its F2P and doesn't cost any money to to play but don't waste your time on it!"

Really Bro? I get you're angry, and I'll never tell anyone to GTFO but constructive criticism and diplomacy will go much further and get your ideas listened to.

You'd think fans of Trek would be more familiar with the ideals of diplomacy and compromise.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    dastahl wrote: »
    We hear them and are working behind the curtain to improve the game in every way.

Is the wizard of oz behind the curtain? or is it a tellarite standing on a stool...

All kidding aside though when you speak of these KDF, or PVP, or Crafting, or Exploration... I really believe that in order to get down to what the players want and finding out what will go forward and what will not is some specialized focus groups of highly active players who are *playing* the game where as most of the people you have direct contact with as far as interviewers are not much active in the game per say or at all active in it to actually understand the "state of the game".

TBH since there are not that many KDF long term anymore most of the crowd are fresh/green players who may ultimately go federation in their respects there are a few and to some perspectives may be easy, hard, or impossible to do some of these things but there is a way to improve the KDF without making more leveling content which isn't what most of us want out of the KDF for KDF content. A lot of us want a 3 class system that is designed around the Klingon or allied Warrior of the Empire and not based on the federation system of placement. Also when we go into battle we were not trained in using the same things or styles of combat as the federation so we would/will want kits and class only skills suitable for the Empire.

The rest of the things played out like a broken record for the KDF fall into the PvP and Exploration area although we would not want it to be called Exploration because we are KLINGON we do not explore. Although it can be cut and paste but just modified after the paste so we can say oh thats great... Songs will be sung about this... Not I bet they might make a hologram after me I am lucky...

As for Crafting pretty much make some basic things that have adequate resource requirements that are equal to STF and Fleet gear that *WORK* (Plea to fix and improve the melee system since 90% of KDF races are melee bonus traits). The key IMO with this Crafting problem to is there needs to be locations throughout each sector that are a starbase or planet per say that can be controlled by players defending/taking over them that have unique crafting to their location when they are owned. More than likely the best way to achieve this through the tech we know you have is use a UI like Starbases have as in when you can see points as they are donated except as a UI for all players depending on how well each group fights in their instance determines who is the winner or loser against taking over a location.

Overall the game can go far but there needs to be a better organization of communication so that players will know definately what they cannot expect and for dev's to know precisely what we expect.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    and yet, when asked direct questions, especially regarding an apparent development oversight, all we get is silence.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=303871

People (myself included) have been asking about the lack of a T5 Fleet Cruiser, given that the same tier Nova and Sabre are getting T5 variants.

We all understand the "no T5 Connie" policy, yet the Excalibur, Vesper and Exeter are 25th century vessels, and their only tie to the Connie is a similar shape in profile view.

But, anytime the question is asked, all we get is silence as we are ignored.

That doesn't exactly suggest that our feedback, nor our questions, are being listened to. Instead, it suggests "selective hearing" as my mother used to call it.

There are a few major issues where the team should give some quick insights on what is about to be done. These issues concern features everyone uses : the foundry, the exchange, a bug with a ship, etc. Half of the time this is what they do.

This kind of question is asked over and over. You should try to use the ask cryptic to get an answer, the devs can't post in every thread, and no one would like to see them posting all day long. I perfer thinking they are working on fixes instead of answering to very insisting people.

Also consider that it is possible that no decisions have been made about this. It's a game, which means a lot of teamwork, and I'm not sure all decisions can be madein a week. We are just asking for too many things at the same time, and it looks like their policy about ships is "we will tell you when it's done, not before". There was an exception to this, the ambassador class, but it remains an exception.

I'm not saying they shouldn't give you an answer at some point, but they may just be unwilling to give spoilers on what should be released and when since it would be a bad marketing strategy : what if they just said "the excalibur class cruiser will be released in december 2012". Would you still buy ships in the meantime? I guess most people wouldn't, and just wait for the ship they want.

I'm not saying cryptic is always right but there are some questions they shouldn't answer for the sake of their game. They should communicate more about "critical" bugs, but not about ships. Not at all.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    We simply haven't communicated what we are doing about this yet. That doesn't mean we aren't listening or have selective hearing. It means that we aren't ready to discuss our solution for this yet, or that the solution is still in the works.

this was what my prediction was for the fleet sov i made a week ago

"i think i figured out the fleet sovereign mystery. they want the c store version to be released first, so people will buy it before they buy the fleet version, which will be better. just look at the armatige and fleet akira, it will be the same thing. people would not be inclined to buy the inferior c store refit version after they already got the superior fleet version, unless they HAD to have the new skin, and or console.

if people could buy the fleet version before the c store version, they would complain that they weren't given the change to buy the fleet version with the 75% discount, creating much forum rage. they are smart enough to do this in an order that generates the least unhappy people, and gives people a chance to buy things like fleet heavy cruisers and the like in the mean time.

it might be a wile before new c store ships are introduced, it wont be until everyone who has the fleet ship they want already has it. flooding the market with the fleet ships and a new c store ships would just divide sales. the c store sovereign will be released when they think they can make the most money off of it, and will likely be the next release. the fleet sovereign will appear only after that."

if your debating internally about weather its station setup was too different from the original, and too many (only actually 1 or 2) people complained that it wasn't what they wanted, dont worry about them. if they want to simulate their COM and LTC eng station setup, all they need are 3 at least blue quality damage control doffs so they can run 1 EPtS3 with full up time, because they NEEEEED that so bad :rolleyes:

please don't consider giving it LTC tac and a LTC eng stations, its one thing for extreamly ponderous, 6 weapon slot carriers to have this, but for an incredibly stout and solid 8 weapon cruiser to get 2 LTC stations, well that is overpowered to an order of magnitude not yet even approached in game yet. please don't do this, people will absolutly buy this thing with out that, becase its the sov and they want a spiffier sov. any other stat detail is just gravy to the ones who will day 1 buy this.
  • johrmantieganjohrmantiegan Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the awesome response, Mr. Stahl. :)
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You guys are missing the point. I'm looking for an affirmative, here. Get it? Show of hands? I agree. That sort of thing.

Ok then , I disagree .
    No game breaking bugs exist that I'm aware of , and while there are bugs , I don't want to see a slowdown of content production in favor of bug squashing until we're at least in Season 9 .

Mind you , I would not mind seeing a whole lot less non-stop-tweaking of powers in favor of some QA , but that's just me ... (and I think capt gecko is really bored ... ;)) .
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited August 2012

We haven't forgetten about KDF, or PVP, or Crafting, or Exploration, or any other feature we've all talked about addressing. We are simply being more pragmatic about how fast we can get to specific features - but our intention is to absolutely get to all of them as fast as we can.

Bugs come, bugs go and some just seem to survive on for ever.

Poke Poke Poke Poke, to keep the KDF and PvP even crafting and exploration fresh on the minds of the Devs, poke poke poke poke
    Some good KDF ideas exist in these forums, we wish the team would respond more favoribly to them.

TBH since there are not that many KDF long term anymore most of the crowd are fresh/green players who may ultimately go federation in their respects there are a few and to some perspectives may be easy, hard, or impossible to do some of these things but there is a way to improve the KDF without making more leveling content which isn't what most of us want out of the KDF for KDF content.
    I personally would still like the missing lower levels put in place with a storyline series of missions to help the new player understand the meaning of being a part of the Empire. It doesn't have to be seen as a burden or a horrible thing to endure and could make the faction more appealing to old and new player alike. Kahless knows I would roll more alts if the grind held some interesting story to make it feel less grindy at times.
    A lot of us want a 3 class system that is designed around the Klingon or allied Warrior of the Empire and not based on the federation system of placement.
    Something besides Tactical, Engineer and Science? What are your suggestions? How would you lay out the classes of the Empire?

Also when we go into battle we were not trained in using the same things or styles of combat as the federation so we would/will want kits and class only skills suitable for the Empire.
    I very much agree with this idea. Different culture means different aproach to things and war/conquest being big in the Empire means we of the KDF should have differing Kits and possibly Class/BOff abilities to reflect that.
    I would love to see kits that cover 1 or 2 of the classic Klingon weapons besides the Bath'leth with corresponding melee combat abilities to go with them.
    Orion Kits for combat interest me as well, what do they bring to a fight? the Gorn, the Nausicuians? Opportunities abound to make the KDf a different but enjoyable style of factional play in STO.
    The rest of the things played out like a broken record for the KDF fall into the PvP and Exploration area although we would not want it to be called Exploration because we are KLINGON we do not explore. Although it can be cut and paste but just modified after the paste so we can say oh thats great... Songs will be sung about this... Not I bet they might make a hologram after me I am lucky...

As for Crafting pretty much make some basic things that have adequate resource requirements that are equal to STF and Fleet gear that *WORK* (Plea to fix and improve the melee system since 90% of KDF races are melee bonus traits). The key IMO with this Crafting problem to is there needs to be locations throughout each sector that are a starbase or planet per say that can be controlled by players defending/taking over them that have unique crafting to their location when they are owned. More than likely the best way to achieve this through the tech we know you have is use a UI like Starbases have as in when you can see points as they are donated except as a UI for all players depending on how well each group fights in their instance determines who is the winner or loser against taking over a location.

Overall the game can go far but there needs to be a better organization of communication so that players will know definately what they cannot expect and for dev's to know precisely what we expect.

I agree completely.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Some rumor control...

He mentions the T5 Connie and you guys turn to blubber. More spin control, so let me unspin this for you. Don't get me wrong, I don't want this game to die, I'm just telling you the real from the BS. The first step is acknowledging you have a problem and some non-spin candor would go a long way with your credibility.
    The STO leadership team is triaging bugs weekly to prioritize bug fixes to go out as soon as possible.

<feature snip>
    Every somewhat competent software development team ever triages bugs after a major release. You need to make substantive changes to the way you deliver content is what is being said here.
    STO is not dying by any means and continues to grow stronger. Just last month we took over as the top performing game for Perfect World in North America.
    From the PWE 10-K filing: "In North America and Europe, through our subsidiaries, Perfect World Entertainment Inc., or PW USA, and Perfect World Europe B.V., or PW Europe, we operate a number of our own games including two games developed by our wholly owned U.S. based subsidiary Cryptic Studios, Inc., or Cryptic Studios, as well as two games that we licensed from other developers."

Your competition was Asian grind machines, yourselves (CO, which is likely concerning to you as well), and 2 other games.
    The STO development team continues to grow month over month and we still have several positions open.

As the team grows larger our Seasonal plans are getting larger. We expect Season 7 to be bigger than Season 6, and Season 8 to be bigger than Season 7. More content, more fixes, more updates across the board.

<feature info snip>

We haven't forgetten about KDF, or PVP, or Crafting, or Exploration, or any other feature we've all talked about addressing. We are simply being more pragmatic about how fast we can get to specific features - but our intention is to absolutely get to all of them as fast as we can.
    You keep saying this but there has been zero change that we've seen in the way you deliver updates to STO. If you were growing in a meaningful way, you wouldn't be still delivering the same way you were in Seasons 3, 4, and 5 because you have resource bottlenecks in key areas. This is why there's so much of a feature backlog (translation: vaporware) in STO -- you undoubtedly have more capacity to do more fixes and tweaks to existing stuff but you aren't leveraging that new manpower to deliver us anything new outside of Season releases like minor enhancements ("hair tech", 700 Day Android choices, new STF Mk XII uniforms) and fixes to persistent annoyances like the Exchange. That is what we'd like to see you do but you can't because you haven't grown enough.

On top of that you guys have a persistent addiction to systems when we keep telling you we want content (it's still 2409 in the game for Pete's sake). So you've just labeled your systems work as new content which is exactly what you did with "Season 5". I get taking credit for your hard work but this is deeply patronizing to us.

Interestingly though, you still won't touch the systems that really do need an overhaul like Space Combat, Bridge Officer Powers, the aforementioned Crafting and Exploration, and the fact that you nullified most of Season 4's Ground Combat improvements with the skill overhaul in Season 5, making Borg on ground feel like Season 3 all over again. :rolleyes:
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • anthonyxmas1anthonyxmas1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Some rumor control...

Cryptic was sold because it was a profitable business and worth at least $50 million to Perfect World.

The STO leadership team is triaging bugs weekly to prioritize bug fixes to go out as soon as possible. After the Season 6 launch, it has been all hands on deck for the Foundry, which should be turned on for editing this week if all goes well.

We will be making some tweaks to the amount of Fleet Marks several missions reward so that the various PVE Queue Missions reward similarly. (this means bumping up some of the missions that reward on the lower side of the scale)

We are meeting regularly to review Fleet Progression and have and will continue to make adjustments to projects. In the near future we expect to drop the Fleet Mark requirements on higher tiers (T4 and T5)

STO is not dying by any means and continues to grow stronger. Just last month we took over as the top performing game for Perfect World in North America.

The STO development team continues to grow month over month and we still have several positions open.

As the team grows larger our Seasonal plans are getting larger. We expect Season 7 to be bigger than Season 6, and Season 8 to be bigger than Season 7. More content, more fixes, more updates across the board.

Our development efforts to improve PvP continue and while we aren't discussing it and did suffer a setback with Gozer leaving, we are working towards a goal of having more efforts put into addressing this part of the game.

Season 6 brought with it several new video features from the Core Video Card team, some of which have been awesome, and some of which have caused some issues. We are working with that team (who in turn work with the Video Card makers) to get some fixes for odd glitches that crop up.

The Starbase Fleet Action map (20 man) does have performance issues. We have several people assigned to this specifically to address this and expect improvements over the upcoming month.

We do listen to feedback, and while we don't always address every post, we certainly take note. As a F2P game, our business model is different, but the same hard working team will continue to develop STO into a bigger and better MMO year after year.

We are glad that players are enjoying Season 6. We realize there are some issues, but we also realize it has been great for Fleets and group game play. We expect that the second half of this year is going to be even better for STO than the first half was.

Thank you for continuing to support this game and for continuing to voice opinions. We hear them and are working behind the curtain to improve the game in every way.

Thanks for all the info :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LAUREN RULZ !!!!!!!!
  • fafreyxcfafreyxc Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    He mentions the T5 Connie and you guys turn to blubber. More spin control, so let me unspin this for you. Don't get me wrong, I don't want this game to die, I'm just telling you the real from the BS. The first step is acknowledging you have a problem and some non-spin candor would go a long way with your credibility.

Every somewhat competent software development team ever triages bugs after a major release. You need to make substantive changes to the way you deliver content is what is being said here.

From the PWE 10-K filing: "In North America and Europe, through our subsidiaries, Perfect World Entertainment Inc., or PW USA, and Perfect World Europe B.V., or PW Europe, we operate a number of our own games including two games developed by our wholly owned U.S. based subsidiary Cryptic Studios, Inc., or Cryptic Studios, as well as two games that we licensed from other developers."

Your competition was Asian grind machines, yourselves (CO, which is likely concerning to you as well), and 2 other games.

You keep saying this but there has been zero change that we've seen in the way you deliver updates to STO. If you were growing in a meaningful way, you wouldn't be still delivering the same way you were in Seasons 3, 4, and 5 because you have resource bottlenecks in key areas. This is why there's so much of a feature backlog (translation: vaporware) in STO -- you undoubtedly have more capacity to do more fixes and tweaks to existing stuff but you aren't leveraging that new manpower to deliver us anything new outside of Season releases like minor enhancements ("hair tech", 700 Day Android choices, new STF Mk XII uniforms) and fixes to persistent annoyances like the Exchange. That is what we'd like to see you do but you can't because you haven't grown enough.

On top of that you guys have a persistent addiction to systems when we keep telling you we want content (it's still 2409 in the game for Pete's sake). So you've just labeled your systems work as new content which is exactly what you did with "Season 5". I get taking credit for your hard work but this is deeply patronizing to us.

Interestingly though, you still won't touch the systems that really do need an overhaul like Space Combat, Bridge Officer Powers, the aforementioned Crafting and Exploration, and the fact that you nullified most of Season 4's Ground Combat improvements with the skill overhaul in Season 5, making Borg on ground feel like Season 3 all over again. :rolleyes:

You mad, Bro ?

:)

Regards,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Some rumor control...

Thanks, Dan!

It's nice to hear some positive news and progress amidst the sea of negative spin.

That said, we all know why that exists. In the past there have been serious bugs that were allowed to go live, some features were allowed to languish, and some unpopular decisions were made.

A certain degree of skepticism is understandable. But hey, if people are complaining at least it shows they still care. That's better than some of the alternatives, right?

Aside from the Foundry issues, Season 6 has been pretty good so far from my point of view. Way better than the last major code merge. Yes, there will be fixes and tweaks, but you guys seem to be on top of them in a way that I haven't seen communicated to the players before.

I expect the fine folks at Cryptic will continue to work hard to keep delivering good news.

Live long and prosper.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yes I think they need to do an official "Patching and Updating Month(s)" and take a month or two and assign their entire STO team to fixing things that need to get fixed. They can put all other development on hold until after they have done all their patching and updating.

It's a great idea. Thank you OP.
  • wilsoncutter001wilsoncutter001 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Some rumor control....

Thanks Sir for the timely interjection....... :)

.....and for posting right after me thus making mine virtualy invisible!!:mad:
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    We simply haven't communicated what we are doing about this yet. That doesn't mean we aren't listening or have selective hearing. It means that we aren't ready to discuss our solution for this yet, or that the solution is still in the works.

This is being worked on to be released in August.

name calling aside, there are lots of bugs to fix, but we do fix bugs regularly. It has little to do with it being a KDF bug and more to do about having the person who needs to fix the bug have time scheduled to do it. It is frustrating when you encounter a bug. I'm sorry that you've had to prod to get a specific bug addressed. We continually work on triaging and addressing bugs impacting the most number of players first, so some issues do fall by the wayside. This sucks and we'll get to it eventually.

Could you then explain how every major content patch KDF has bugs in the same missions or dailies which are not present in the Fed turn in of these missions? Examples include the Dilithium mining daily and half the KDF Officer of the Watch dailies. You are on public record stating you abhor Klingons and will only play them for testing content. The ever increasing list of bugs along with classics like the cloaking device you will not fix serve to cement the Peregrine Falcon History of KDF Development and that as a faction KDF does not and likely will never receive the testing or development attention that was marketed and is warranted.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • bludaggerbludagger Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited August 2012

This is being worked on to be released in August.

name calling aside, there are lots of bugs to fix, but we do fix bugs regularly. It has little to do with it being a KDF bug and more to do about having the person who needs to fix the bug have time scheduled to do it. It is frustrating when you encounter a bug. I'm sorry that you've had to prod to get a specific bug addressed. We continually work on triaging and addressing bugs impacting the most number of players first, so some issues do fall by the wayside. This sucks and we'll get to it eventually.

Hey, thanks for the direct answers. Just keep at it.

Yeah natives are restless, but hey we will survive. Just fix it. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    I personally would still like the missing lower levels put in place with a storyline series of missions to help the new player understand the meaning of being a part of the Empire. It doesn't have to be seen as a burden or a horrible thing to endure and could make the faction more appealing to old and new player alike. Kahless knows I would roll more alts if the grind held some interesting story to make it feel less grindy at times.

Something besides Tactical, Engineer and Science? What are your suggestions? How would you lay out the classes of the Empire?

I very much agree with this idea. Different culture means different aproach to things and war/conquest being big in the Empire means we of the KDF should have differing Kits and possibly Class/BOff abilities to reflect that.
    I would love to see kits that cover 1 or 2 of the classic Klingon weapons besides the Bath'leth with corresponding melee combat abilities to go with them.
    Orion Kits for combat interest me as well, what do they bring to a fight? the Gorn, the Nausicuians? Opportunities abound to make the KDf a different but enjoyable style of factional play in STO.

I agree completely.

Yeah a few more storylines would be great just to fill in some tid bits we do not currently get but at the same time the way they started off story with the federation its like everyone who is 50 is like a kirk, picard, sisko, and janeway combined and then some which is great and all but not realistic to the trek experience. In the same token if the Empire is as it should be in the story line there would be about 2 warriors to split between every Dahar Master in the quadrant to serve on their ships so some story but not too much story LOL.

As far as the classes and the way that the Empire truely is now as everyone knows warriors serve functions as bridge officers in these 3 classes but when it came to combat in canon/soft canon lore they weren't out doing things the way the federation does which this game portrays. Pretty much every Klingon is a Tactical Officer in every sense of the word and more since they are Warriors of the Empire... To get the Empire or KDF with classes the way I would restructure it would be in the line of Klingons would be Seperated into Warrior, Pirate/Marauder, and Science. Although if it was not for the Gorn I could not really see a reason for their being a Science class needed or wanted because as it was stated in one series it is not very honorable in Klingon Society to be Scientist. Where the kits would differ is the Warriors would specialize in pure combat of the Klingon way both in energy and melee. The marauder or pirate would use tactics that the Empire if not having these people absorbed into it something the empire would not normally condone. The scientists would for balance purposes and such still have the ability to heal but would be more along the lines of using nerve gas (spoken of in TOS) and biological weaponry/weapons of great power. As far as to not lose anything when it comes to engineering and science is as stated keep the core abiltiies of science intact as for pirate/marauder instead of an orbital strike it would be like a graphic like you see Breen ships overhead to use Orion Interceptor graphics instead and chance that it would attack or possibly kill/beam out the enemy for piracy purposes. Some of the bigger things is tacticals/warriors being more versed in melee weapons with certain kits and having kits like one big ability npcs have is summoning targs to attack enemies... Which could be a cross class kit any could use. The last thing that relates to this I would like to see and being it was stated they are going to use Dahar Master as a Rank but I disagree because its a title bestowed to a legendary warrior who has accomplished many great deeds in battle. I believe that one start to an actual prestige and not luck based like STF "Prestige Gear" which there is no such prestige in getting it... Again though the federation should have something similar that when you do great things rewarding you on game play skill that you can become a dahar master and have a special kit as reward/showing that you ARE a Dahar Master and didn't just grind or get lucky enough to get it.

Pretty much the KDF could be brought into the fold as something unique and enjoyable more heavily than its been represented in any game. The main issue is there was not really any knowledge of Star Trek when they made this game and the knowledge Cryptic has right now is a lot more but still mediocre at best when it comes to understanding the franchise. Just a small handfuls of the content of Star Trek in its finest is in this game right now there has been atleast five decades worth of trek content that could be "injected" into the game thats not even here yet. So it boils down to the point that they more or less need a nudge to let them know how to improve and build upon the KDF because I am pretty sure they do not know they would go about making it better. Once they start using their assets properly and getting ready to put value into all factions + future factions and getting more insight on what players want to see and not what lockbox is coming out next then we can see some improvements.

In many respects though we have pretty much thrown the rug out for them to do what must be done to make this game go forward but it just keeps looking like they will do little things here and there and *cut and paste* what is intended for the federation side but the thing people regardless of faction should realize is that this new f2p and such is just an era of nickel and diming and the more you buy the less develpoment until they say no more dev time so enjoy it while the game is still up...
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    bloctoad wrote: »
    You are on public record stating you abhor Klingons and will only play them for testing content.

Ok, I'm going to call foul on that one. Source, or it was never said.

You may be thinking about a different Dev... It's entirely possible that one of them doesn't like KDF and said so, but Dan Stahl is not on record as one of them.

If it were possible for me to do, I'd pull out old forum posts (pre-merge) where Dan Stahl specifically said that he enjoyed playing as a Klingon.

It's a well known fact that Jack Emmert likes playing Klingons.

I can also remember an old post about one of the Devs having a bat'leth. That Dev clearly did not "abhor" Klingons.

The ship artists have repeatedly said KDF ships are fun to make because they have fewer design constraints.

There was a more recent statement where somebody at Cryptic claimed that many of the devs preferred to play Klingons. That one I can probably find, if you like.

The fact is, the KDF is not languishing because the Devs hate them. The KDF is languishing because of some business decisions that many of us didn't like. But the sale to PWE and the shift to F2P has apparently been good for the balance sheet and that is what will get Cryptic the resources to eventually "fix" the KDF.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I kinda like diehards like this because you can tell they're the same dudes who'll kick and whine about "Feddies" and Cryptic (MORE LIKE CRAPTIC) but they've been playing STO the full two years since beta and they'll be the ones begging for it to come back once the servers close

Heh, lemme set ya straight- I watched the friends I played other trek games with flock to ST:O the day it was released and listened to them for two years say what was missing from the game. When it went F2P I decided to see for myself if the stories were true about the game because I couldn't believe some of the things I heard. The FIRST hour I played I knew there was some truth to those stories but I placed hope in the claims from the devs that all would be righted after the growing pains of going to the F2P model.

I play daily and get used to the shortcomings and pray the next patch will address some of them. I try not to get impatient but with every one thing that gets fixed another gets 'unfixxed', but I still remain hopeful. I watch as one faction gets new shineys every couple of updates, and read about how the other faction is such a minority that resources wont be used to give them shineys. Still, I wait and hope.

I admit tho', the reason I decided to try this game was to play a Klingon in PvP, and as I discovered they are the two most broken items in this game. I STILL try to remain hopeful that ST:O can live up to it's potential in these two areas, and that they'll be fixxed in my lifetime.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • thepleasuredomethepleasuredome Member Posts: 308
    edited August 2012
    Well that settles it. Dan himself has come in here to say how peaches & cream everything is. We're doomed.
    Arawn & Ihasa
    OP *is* the new balance, whether you know it or not! Gecko says so.
    Season 7 - Exodus, available online. U buy nao!
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/738221-monetizing-perfect-world-s-latest-update
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drasketodrasketo Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Skipping back to the whole minority/majority point on forum posters ...

The whole "Oh, but only 1% of players ever post on the forums so your opinion doesnt count and we dont have to pay attention to it" is just a cop-out.

You'll notice that they have zero problem at all citing the forums as evidence of player satisfaction. Take the people who posted about the 'better' lockboxes this go round.

The second anything becomes negative they do a complete 180 and tell us, "Oh, youre just a fractional minority, so nothing you say really matters."
  • captain4mericacaptain4merica Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    drasketo wrote: »
    Skipping back to the whole minority/majority point on forum posters ...

The whole "Oh, but only 1% of players ever post on the forums so your opinion doesnt count and we dont have to pay attention to it" is just a cop-out.

You'll notice that they have zero problem at all citing the forums as evidence of player satisfaction. Take the people who posted about the 'better' lockboxes this go round.

The second anything becomes negative they do a complete 180 and tell us, "Oh, youre just a fractional minority, so nothing you say really matters."

Please post a link to where they cited the forums about the lockboxes.
  • ruffled123ruffled123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    Historically, this community hasn't seen much return on content freezes. You know, back when we were still paying to be here. I don't see how it can be considered unreasonable to not relish the idea of a repeat performance.

Besides, I think people said it already, Cryptic can't afford a content draught. Not anymore. The content, if you can call it that, is the only thing bringing in any revenue at all. Last time around, they had an army of brand-loyal chumps paying for their little vacation, this time, not so much. There's really no reason to have a subscription in STO. Another well-known sci-fi franchise's MMO will be going F2P this fall. You can guess the name, but the forum censors the word describing the craft of war, so I don't expect it to be any less jumpy about warfare of the stars. (Now there's celebrity show I'd watch!) That MMO already has a much clearer, and harsher line between subscribing and playing for free outlined on its website. If STO's silver status were anything like that, it might stand a chance to get through a draught without applying for a whole load of free creditcards, but frankly I don't think it even could do that. Not enough different kinds of content to gate.

As for vocal minorities not being representative and whatnot... Maybe it's right to listen to them, and maybe it's wrong. Who knows? Who cares? Certainly no one who matters. Minimalizing any number of people because there's more people you haven't heard from is absolutely no better. There's a reason when people take polls, we generally only regard the answers people have actually provided, and not miss Cleo's crystal ball for the answers that we wish we'd gotten from other, nicer people we didn't invite to take part in the poll, but definately should've, or maybe some positive reinforcement from the afterlife from recently dearly departed nana who was always so supportive about all the things we told her about she didn't understand.

If you're not going to listen, or dismiss the people in it as inconsequential, why have a forum at all? Is it an addiction? Will someone at PWE throw himself off the top floor if he doesn't get to censor some post at least once every couple of hours?

Also, just for the record. I reported Lt. Marrien's doppleganger during open beta. It may take 30 months, but bugs already get fixed. We'll have working cloaks by Christmas 2013.

YES!!!!!!

Everything he said
  • ruffled123ruffled123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Please post a link to where they cited the forums about the lockboxes.

Read the state of the game post.
    edited August 2012
    ruffled123 wrote: »
    Read the state of the game post.

Just did, and they did not say anything about the forums.
  • drasketodrasketo Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Just did, and they did not say anything about the forums.

So they are now watch-dogging Zone Chat?

Where do you think they would be getting feedback from?
  • thepleasuredomethepleasuredome Member Posts: 308
    edited August 2012

There was a targeted-audience survey sent out via email back in March/April/-ish time.
    Arawn & Ihasa
    OP *is* the new balance, whether you know it or not! Gecko says so.
    Season 7 - Exodus, available online. U buy nao!
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/738221-monetizing-perfect-world-s-latest-update
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012

https://twitter.com/Cryptic_Kestrel/status/227934941332258816
  • c4ptain0bviou5c4ptain0bviou5 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    We simply haven't communicated what we are doing about this yet.

Wow, that sounds like something *I* would say :cool:
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    "there are lots of bugs to fix"

Well, no **** Sherlock!

NEWSFLASH! If you actually tested your stuff properly, before releasing it to the broader public (Holodeck), you wouldn't have as many bugs to fix.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I for one am damn glad that the vocal forum posters are not representative of the STO gaming community as a whole because then 80% of the players would be playing KDF and PvP would be the predominant play style. :eek:

Another thing I am definitely glad for is that a lot of the vocal posters are here posting and not actually running PWE or Cryptic. If they were running PWE or Cryptic then we wouldn't even have an ST MMO to be playing.

Thanks for posting guys! ;)