test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Show of hands

1235»

Comments

• captainmerzancaptainmerzan Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Judging from the forums, I think we can all agree, that Cryptic is in a really, bad place right now. (Can't seem to do anything right, or get out of their own way, for that matter) Who thinks it would probably behoove them to put a freeze on new content, up to, and including, Season 7, in favor of addressing some of the major technical issues with STO. Recent bugs, antidiluvian bugs, latency, etc... ? Possibly even cleaning up/streamlining the code?

Yea right you must not had been around during the long content drought they had last year , you think its bad on the forums now whhhooooowww it was realy bad then, and also its not new content stoping them from fixing bug i beleave alot of it is prioritising, in the past year i have seen them fix things that didnt need fixing , or that didnt need revamping or was purely cosmetic, so its not content and ya dont want to open that can of worms again lol.
  • dood98998dood98998 Member Posts: 389
    edited August 2012
    Yea right you must not had been around during the long content drought they had last year , you think its bad on the forums now whhhooooowww it was realy bad then, and also its not new content stoping them from fixing bug i beleave alot of it is prioritising, in the past year i have seen them fix things that didnt need fixing , or that didnt need revamping or was purely cosmetic, so its not content and ya dont want to open that can of worms again lol.

Too late, he already did :eek:
    When in doubt, (hehe) c4!
    This sig dedicated to the many random objects the Mythbusters crew has blow to smitherines :D
  • broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Judging from the forums, I think we can all agree, that Cryptic is in a really, bad place right now. (Can't seem to do anything right, or get out of their own way, for that matter) Who thinks it would probably behoove them to put a freeze on new content, up to, and including, Season 7, in favor of addressing some of the major technical issues with STO. Recent bugs, antidiluvian bugs, latency, etc... ? Possibly even cleaning up/streamlining the code?

No. Creating new content and fixing bugs can occur concurrently. Often those squashing system bugs are not the ones creating new content.

I could see perhaps setting aside some system enhancement and creating more content with existing assets (fewer things to add new bugs), but no reason to forestall adding new story content to a game already lacking said content.

The story arc content we have is well-crafted and fun, but there is much less of it than in other MMOs.

I see these exact same threads in the other MMOs I play and on other MMO forums. The simple reality is that with an MMO, the quest to squash bugs is neverending. Holding up new content does not in any way guarantee that old bugs will be zapped any faster -- especially if different teams are involved.

Are there bugs I would like to see eliminated right now? You'd better believe it. So much so that I don't want to see any new content until they are gone? Not in the least.
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I know people hate when these comparisons are made, but I'll make one anyways:

Blizzard creates literally HUNDREDS of new quests with each new expansion pack (every ~2 years). STO has about ~60 Episodes of UNIQUE story content for FED & KDF (each episode generates about enough XP to gain 1 level). In the time since STO launched (2.5 years ago), how many "hundreds" of new story content missions have been added? With the exception of the 20 Feature Episodes, and the revamping of a handful of the older episodes, very little NEW story content has been added. And Feature Episodes, while mostly great, is not "unique" content, since it's shared between both factions.

You can't tell me, that each and every one of Cryptic's staffers is so overloaded with non-story work, that there isn't a SINGLE developer on hand to write/create a new episode. Foundry authors can create dozens of episodes in the same timespan that Cryptic creates ONE. Foundry episodes are often more detailed than the Cryptic story missions, and LESS rewarding. Every Foundry mission should give a scaling level reward similar to the official Cryptic missions, and to prevent exploiting, put the Foundry missions on the same cooldown as any other "replay" mission in the game.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • captmack001captmack001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

There are forums rules and there are times when it is easy to belittle someone.

however I WILL NOT WAIT any longer for more content i have been playing since day 1 and days before that as a tester.

bugs come and go so do features and to suggest that in a market where all games are goin free to play we wait for a while and then make content is insane ( stick a 4 letter word begging with F and it goes before insane).

and as for the code base i am not sure which version we are on but the seasons are for sto to move up levels last i heard 21 was a good code source for the foundry but we were at level 18 and 21 was hard to get balanced for sto but i could be out on left field about that.
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    chooch99a wrote: »
    The best "solution" to KDF content IMO is to select the best KDF Foundry missions and import them into the hard code as official missions with juicy rewards.

The thing is, the KDF were not originally meant to be a full faction, they were to be a pvp faction but players wanted them fully fleshed out.

Call it a bad call, but they underestimated the desire for KDF regular PvE play before launch and went by polls mostly to determine the path.

By using the Foundry, and making them official missions, it can fill content gaps rather quickly and "fill in" the gaps of this oversight from launch.

This would then also allow them to move forward sooner vs later on Romulan faction etc, without breaking a promise.

Inexcusable.

July 28th, 2008 - Cryptic officially announces Star Trek Online

August 10th, 2008 - Jack Emmert at Gen Con: "Starfleet and Klingon. Yeah. So two factions, full PvE content."
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    bloctoad wrote: »

August 10th, 2008 - Jack Emmert at Gen Con: "Starfleet and Klingon. Yeah. So two factions, full PvE content."

Right after Leonard Nimoy announced him onstage..........
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
    edited August 2012
    Still waiting for this one actually...

August 25th, 2008 - ASK CRYPTIC - Craig Zinkievich (Zinc), STO's Executive Producer: "The universe of Star Trek Online is shaped and changed by the actions of the players. The Federation and the Klingon Empire will be competing for influence and resources throughout the galaxy and players can influence the results through PvP battles and a system we're calling Competitive PvE."

Bolded for emphasis. PVP is in shambles as is, and at NO point have we been anywhere close to this statement.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    I know people hate when these comparisons are made, but I'll make one anyways:

Blizzard creates literally HUNDREDS of new quests with each new expansion pack (every ~2 years). STO has about ~60 Episodes of UNIQUE story content for FED & KDF (each episode generates about enough XP to gain 1 level). In the time since STO launched (2.5 years ago), how many "hundreds" of new story content missions have been added? With the exception of the 20 Feature Episodes, and the revamping of a handful of the older episodes, very little NEW story content has been added. And Feature Episodes, while mostly great, is not "unique" content, since it's shared between both factions.

You can't tell me, that each and every one of Cryptic's staffers is so overloaded with non-story work, that there isn't a SINGLE developer on hand to write/create a new episode. Foundry authors can create dozens of episodes in the same timespan that Cryptic creates ONE. Foundry episodes are often more detailed than the Cryptic story missions, and LESS rewarding. Every Foundry mission should give a scaling level reward similar to the official Cryptic missions, and to prevent exploiting, put the Foundry missions on the same cooldown as any other "replay" mission in the game.

Blizzard does have the resources to generate more story content than Cryptic. I don't think anyone would argue otherwise, as Stahl said they'd have to dramatically increase the number of developers on staff in order to have as many episodes for KDF as for Fed.

For the sake of accuracy, since the game was launched in February 2010 there have been more than just 20 feature episodes and the 3 revamped episodes (Stranded in Space, Diplomatic Orders, Doomsday Device), because that totally ignores:
    • 3 Fed-exclusive: Colleratal Damage, Asset Recovery, State of Q
    • 9 KDF-exclusive: Bringing Down the House, The House Always Wins, Second Star to the Right Straight on 'til Morning, Keep Your Enemies Closer, Blood of the Empire, Destiny, Afterlife, The Gates of Gre'thor, Alpha
    • 4 Neutral: Assimilation, The Return, Fluid Dynamics, A Light in the Dark

Would more be good? Absolutely! I hope that Season 7 will bring a lot to the table.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
    edited August 2012
    So you're admitting a grand total of 36 new episodes since launch (30 months ago). That's just over 1 episode a month. Number of people on staff not withstanding, your telling me that Cryptic in it's current capacity is incapable of generating ATLEAST 1 new episode per month? That being said, the majority of new episodes have been shared between both factions (FE arcs + 4 "Neutral" in Borg/Undine space).

That leaves TWELVE unique episodes in over 2.5 years. Yes, I realize Cryptic is a smaller company, and doesn't have the manpower that a company like Blizzard has. But not even being able to produce atleast 1 mission per month? Please...
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • mkilczewskimkilczewski Member Posts: 284
    edited August 2012
    Wow. I honestly thought this thread would be buried after 2 pages. I appreciate, and respect your response, Dan.

Forums are places for people of a like mind, to dicuss issues, and concerns, regarding shared interests. Depending on what type of person you are, determines whether you're an active, or passive, or somewhere inbetween, forum member. Population percentages are irrelevant. What is relevant is that people speak what's on their minds.

People tend to complain about issues they are passionate about. People who are content, not so much, as there is usually nothing to advocate for. Squeaky wheel gets the oil. My company recently hired a new dispatcher. She asked me if I thought she was doing a good job. I told her, if she was hearing from me, less than once a week, she was doing an excellent job.

I love this game. It's the first MMO I ever played. That being said, it's the standard by which I judge all the other MMOs I 've tried, and found lacking. I decompress for at least 2 hours a day, if only to update Doff assignments.

I primarily play it as a single player, online game, however. Other than PUGS I have no interest in teaming up or any of the other social aspects of the game. I'm more Star Trek, than MMO fan.

Lately, I have been feeling that certain issues in the game just aren't being addressed. For every 1 bug that gets patched, 10 more seem to crop up. Not to mention stuff that's been around since launch. Season 6 to me, Seemed to just be a useless, cookie-cutter, endgame, grind. Let's face it, all the Tholians did was introduce a new lockbox, and a new set of gear to grind for. Tholians were something that was talked about for a long time, and could have been really special.

Starbases? That was the reason for my "not being able to do anything right" comment. I understand, that for PvPers, better starbase=better shipyard=better ships for PvP. What seems ridiculous to me, is having to mercillessly, grind, timed events just to have windows, and plants on your starbase. Those should, at the very least, be Doff assignments. It's just as ridiculous to have to pay an exorbitant amount of a currency that is only available for zen points, in order to purchase costume items for your captain. (silk robe, earrings, etc...)

Hopefully, if, and when I see customizable ship interiors, it will be more along the lines of a latinum store, and less along the lines of grinding 650 "shipmarks" to place the Resican Flute in your ready room, but you can only do it on a certain date. In fact for me, personally, I would enjoy more collectible games, for endgame content, than endlessly grinding for a different color environmental suit.

In closing, once again, thank you, Dan. Cryptic did create a product that has given me great enjoyment, and hopefully, things do get better.
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I;m going to be polite here but I have to admit that I;m not happy.
    dastahl wrote: »
    Thank you for continuing to support this game and for continuing to voice opinions. We hear them and are working behind the curtain to improve the game in every way.

Mr. Stahl, I've attempted to contact you a couple of times about poor customer service that I have received from your company. I would like to discuss the matter with you. Please answer support ticket #120809-000207 or one of the others that I have filed.
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Quoted for truth.

It is said that only 1% of people who come to a forum actually post on a forum. So if only about 2% of the player base is coming to this forum, and 1% of that actually post....

Yeah, this community really represents the majority huh?

Since they are not here, how can you know that you represent them then?

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Some replies of my own if I may...
    We are meeting regularly to review Fleet Progression and have and will continue to make adjustments to projects. In the near future we expect to drop the Fleet Mark requirements on higher tiers (T4 and T5)

While that is fantastic news, especially for the vast majority of the fleets in the game (by your own admission "there are less than 1000 active Fleets with more than 25 members whereas there are 7000+ active fleets with less than 25 members") what is being done to solve the Dilithium sink issue these same small fleets face?
    Just last month we took over as the top performing game for Perfect World in North America.

That is not that impressive as the only PWE game I had even heard of (aside from those made by Cryptic) before the transition to the PWE website was Perfect World International and I quit playing it years ago because of PWE treating their customers like resources to mine rather than, well, customers. With the business model STO seems to be using the short term revenue may be robust, but over time this will damage the perceived value of the game. In the long term, the rage from the playerbase over the outrageous prices and character only unlocks will impact the bottom line. It won?t be overnight, however, and it will be indirect, and that makes it much tougher to identify, but it will be felt in it being increasingly tougher to match those initial revenue numbers (as I think we are seeing by the recent news stories which are rehashing old Z-Store additions, from what I perceive is a lack, or significant drop, in sales of said items.)
    We expect Season 7 to be bigger than Season 6, and Season 8 to be bigger than Season 7.

To be quite honest, Season 7 scares the heck out of me. I see the way it is perceived that STO is going, and it makes me wonder if STO has a chance to "break the mold" of other Treks. No Star Trek has ever made it to a Season 8, can STO change that or is it destined to prove the point?
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    switchngc wrote: »
    To be quite honest, Season 7 scares the heck out of me. I see the way it is perceived that STO is going, and it makes me wonder if STO has a chance to "break the mold" of other Treks. No Star Trek has ever made it to a Season 8, can STO change that or is it destined to prove the point?

christ thats foreboding. they beat enterprise's season count, barley, thanks to the PWE acquisition. but no series made it past 7, but that seems to have been a decision, not because the shows ran out of steam.
  • seanftdseanftd Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    To be honest I kinda think a lot of people overreact a out issues in the game. Kinda make an issue out of somthing so little. I wish to point out I'm not saying everyone I just think some people do. Everyone will be unhappy about somthing and I doubt the team will ever have everyone happy
  • onlineangelonlineangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This game wouldn't be the STO we've all come to love without the bugs.

I think Cryptic and PWE are doing an amasing job.

(I just hope someone at Cryptic PWE sees this post and upgrades my drop rates as a thank you)