test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Better Warp Effects

jimmyjames81196jimmyjames81196 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
Could we pllleeeaaaassse have much more epic warp entering sequences and fix the camera bugs so we can see the hole ship when it warps

This would be an awesome example to an epic warp sequence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8HccXIseTE&feature=related
Post edited by jimmyjames81196 on

Comments

• defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    One thing I have always wanted is to be able to go to warp without having my ship slowing to a stop before warping. With the tech from chevron seperation which allows the ship to split without stopping, perhaps one day they will figure out a way to make warp work without the full stop then warp?

Awsome Voyager going to warp speed scene too. :)

Now... Within a month... Within a year: "no".

Don't get me wrong, I am all for visual enhancements, but "it is not nessacary" because it is just that... A visual enhancement with not practical effect on the game. The current system is pretty close to the series and sufficient at this point.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • jimmyjames81196jimmyjames81196 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I dont think the warp sequences have been updated... since beta we need a new one its buggy and boring and if u look at the direction of the ship *if your using a big cruiser* u can see it stop after the warp flashy thing that has always annoyed me
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Outside of having an Undine ship warp in and shoot your ship everytime you go to warp I doubt we could get warp sequences like that one. :P

I definately agree with the camera position though. It seems based on a certain ship size, unfortunately anything bigger or smaller tends to have issues. It'd be nice to have a few cutscenes based on ship size.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I dont think the warp sequences have been updated... since beta we need a new one its buggy and boring and if u look at the direction of the ship *if your using a big cruiser* u can see it stop after the warp flashy thing that has always annoyed me

But it has... The warp sequence used to be a simple camera behind the ship, and ships used to insist on warping into anything in their way.

The "movie mode" was added around season 3 I think, along with a fix to prevent most of the "warp through".

I have yet to expirience a bug during warp sequence.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    edited July 2012
    I have yet to expirience a bug during warp sequence.

You must only fly small ships then but ships like Intrepid-Ody have camera problems
  • admlshakeadmlshake Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    cormoran wrote: »
    Outside of having an Undine ship warp in and shoot your ship everytime you go to warp I doubt we could get warp sequences like that one. :P

That would be fantastic though if our ships could get tossed around like that!
  • synthscanner#2101 synthscanner Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I would also like to eventually see the Slipstream special effect upgraded, it's kinda become very bland and also clips with some ships hull, like the BoP wings. I just know they could do a better job on those special effects, especially so considering that effect hasn't been touched since it was patched into the game for the first time (as far as I know).

The link the OP put up to the warp sequence from Voyager episode "Scorpion" is definitely one of my favs and that's about the time the show creators were starting to experiment a lot more with cool effects like that. A new Trek series now I would imagine having a whole lot more of that type of thing.
  • caileachcaileach Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I always wished the slipstream special effect would, when activated use the same tech they use when you go near a nebula on the space map. It would envelop you and look just like it does on Voyager.
    When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative: violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way.
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'd love it if the slipstream effect did that, yeah. Maybe just a little bit transparent, but not too much. Who needs to see where he's going if you can't turn anyway? :P

And I also agree with the suggestions for the warpdrive. Warping without stopping, seeing your whole ship, and doing away with that thing where after the flash you can still see your ship (especially if you've got a big ship, and engine effects) sitting in the distance waiting for the loading screen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Could we pllleeeaaaassse have much more epic warp entering sequences and fix the camera bugs so we can see the hole ship when it warps

This would be an awesome example to an epic warp sequence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8HccXIseTE&feature=related

I 100% agree we need better warp FX. Also I agree that we need a better slipstream fx to. Would be amazing if when engaging slipstream you actually enter another dimension as shown in the voyager series.

Just to add to what you have already posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv-Y_PKuXqo - fast forward to 1:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5z611WJr2k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsCK1mVncUI

and the first contact version which is simply to the above.

Vids of quantum slipstream drive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shb1IsoUMzs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzhat3lFAUQ
    edited July 2012
    I love that episode of voyager where the ship crashes its on my best list
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I suggested this for a long time, but when it comes to sector warp effects, I always wanted:

1) Warp Nacelle glow getting brighter the faster you go. (It was tried out a year ago, but they made the glow too bright and people complained, they just need to not make it so bright).

2) The faster you go, the more stretched out your ship gets. No super elongation, but like in Nemesis where it was reasonable.
    edited July 2012
    And could we have the naccels to go up on the intrepid as an emote or on normal ships the glow to simulate a over heating warp plasma though the EPS conduits like on Voyager when the gel packs got an infection and they had to heat the ship up would be awesome
    edited July 2012
    I suggested this for a long time, but when it comes to sector warp effects, I always wanted:

1) Warp Nacelle glow getting brighter the faster you go. (It was tried out a year ago, but they made the glow too bright and people complained, they just need to not make it so bright).

2) The faster you go, the more stretched out your ship gets. No super elongation, but like in Nemesis where it was reasonable.

Also while in warp/sector space the lines that go past you are bit bigger, like you get with the maco engine at warp. That is how it should look like when your in sector space minus the warp bubble effect.

Are the lines that go past you at warp stars and debris e.g. rocks etc or just stars?
  • torsten1009torsten1009 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hi,

have someone of you had a look on the Tribble-Server? Most of the graphics FX is improved (shadows, Light-sources/relflection, MACO-Warpfield,...).

I think these changes might hit us all on the release of the new season.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If Star Trek Online was an Open-Source (GPL) Game, we would have a low-grind fork.
  • vonbonvonbon Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I would like them to remove the stop to Warp thing though, Activision were able to do it on Bridge Commander, and STO im sure uses a much more powerful Engine.
  • synthscanner#2101 synthscanner Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    caileach wrote: »
    I always wished the slipstream special effect would, when activated use the same tech they use when you go near a nebula on the space map. It would envelop you and look just like it does on Voyager.

I love your idea!

raj011 wrote: »

That warp effect from the latest JJ movie actually looks really cool on the Sovereign, I would PAY to unlock that warp effect!
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Also while in warp/sector space the lines that go past you are bit bigger, like you get with the maco engine at warp. That is how it should look like when your in sector space minus the warp bubble effect.

Are the lines that go past you at warp stars and debris e.g. rocks etc or just stars?

In the TV show and movies, they are stars. But in STO due to the scale of things its best thought of as dust particles.

I'm really impressed, whoever did that makes me wish there was a new TNG movie and used the JJ effects. Has the right ammount of lens flare and glare.
  • captpeacemakercaptpeacemaker Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    defalus wrote: »
    One thing I have always wanted is to be able to go to warp without having my ship slowing to a stop before warping. With the tech from chevron seperation which allows the ship to split without stopping, perhaps one day they will figure out a way to make warp work without the full stop then warp?

Awsome Voyager going to warp speed scene too. :)

Silly you!

You know as soon as you take a hit to your shields like that, you go to red alert and your warp drive is disabled!

j/k... yes the warp transition definitely needs some work. I posted about this a few months ago. What is the point of having the warp effects and the intrepid's nacelles folding into position if its off the screen? I also think you need to be able to warp out even if under attack. Of course, warp drive is one of the first things to go when starships start taking damage anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Thowchum
    Legendary Starfleet Captain
    Fleet Leader, The Abductors
    STO Forum Member since December 2010
    Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
  • captpeacemakercaptpeacemaker Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I love that episode of voyager where the ship crashes its on my best list

The E warping away from Romulus is one of my favorites.

I wish the Sovereign in game could really turn like that though! lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Thowchum
    Legendary Starfleet Captain
    Fleet Leader, The Abductors
    STO Forum Member since December 2010
    Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It was when they changed the camera zoom in levels of your ship that the warp out sequences were also effected that on a lot of the shots, much of your ship is cut off, or almost entirely off screen.

This is a change/bug that was introduced then, and has yet to be fixed. While in the grand scheme of things, this is a minor issue, this personally is a large issue for me. I'm not exactly sure why, but just being able to seem y ship warp out like it used to before this bug made me extremely happy, and now that it rarely happens, I notice it every time I warp out of somewhere.

I do hope this gets looked at soon.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I guess to the get the better effects, we will need a better game engine, no?
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    caileach wrote: »
    That's an extremely good idea. I'd love to see that.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    truewarper wrote: »

Not really. Just higher poly models and better textures. Cryptic has always had an "update as needed" mentality with game engines. It's been that way since City of Heroes.
    edited July 2012

Same here, that warping scene in nemesis, the second one was Brilliant. The is how and like the episode of voyager warping away from the Species 8472/Undine ship. Should be smooth as you warp out.

Also agree that slipstream would look great if it looked like it did in voyager.

Can someone explain to me what is the white lines supposed to be when warping?
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Agreed, this needs a fix. Especially if it's just a camera zoom thing.

Now a little variety would also be nice. Just let me look at the same warp out from different angles and I'll be happy. My favorite warps were the ones when the Big E-D would make that banking turn and then warp to the center of the screen, it was done from far away, but she showed she could really move. The escape from the explosion of the Armagosa star, the way they rode out in Best of Both Worlds when that cube was about to blow, and lastly, the Enterprise-E's warp in First Contact.

"Red Alert, All Hands man your battle stations.....Engage."

I'd like that for my AC...not a bad idea actually, a different warp out angle for every ship type. One that best accentuates that ship's shape.

Another issue I've had. Why do the ships all of a sudden turn all sorts of ways around to warp out in one direction.

On the positive side, I love the warp in effects.

Debris.
    In the TV show and movies, they are stars. But in STO due to the scale of things its best thought of as dust particles.

I'm really impressed, whoever did that makes me wish there was a new TNG movie and used the JJ effects. Has the right ammount of lens flare and glare.
    They've never been explained on the shows.

It has to be things brushed aside and energized by the navigational deflector. In order for actual stars to streak like that you'd have to be going at transwarp or slipstream velocities or better. The Voth did it right, those were probably stars.

And on that note, the streaking "stars" effect should be a little brighter. They're really painfully faint. But that's the only problem with that.

Mine does. Don't ask why, I was shocked. Maybe it just seems that way because I just came off a Galaxy. And when in doubt there's always Attack Pattern Alpha.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
    edited July 2012
    I don't think Cryptic will ever do this because its not "necessary" in the game its "ok" at the moment

But we'l see
  • jayfresh11jayfresh11 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You make a great point. It would be awesome going into warp while you're in the bridge watching the view screen. It would actually be cool if we could hang out inside our ship while were moving to where ever we need to go. Also interacting with our bridge officers would be cool too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    truewarper wrote: »

No. It has nothing to do with the engine.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
This discussion has been closed.